Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

May 2018 Sound Design Fest - Layr

Comments

• @ccs2 said:

I haven’t been able to find the presets I’ve downloaded and “opened in” Layr..
    Where do they go? Performances or instruments?

• edited May 2018

@Keenan said:

@ccs2 said:

I haven’t been able to find the presets I’ve downloaded and “opened in” Layr..
    Where do they go? Performances or instruments?

From inside Layr, with the up arrow icon, and then the cloud symbol - import program. Select an empty bank to save in and reload with the down arrow icon.

• Guys so which is the main forum preset bank?

• Just thinking out loud as I’m browsing the manual, because I’ve wanted to like this synth for a very long time:

My problem with Layr is I’m not a ‘big picture guy’ when creating synth patches. I will start with a patch that inspires me or fits an idea I have in mind, record it, and then move on to finding complementary sounds for it, one at a time, for as many tracks as it takes. I prefer this because it’s more exciting to me to create something ‘on the fly’ so to speak. It gets me more organic results since I work alone, and having to ‘react’ and respond to another track that’s already there is the closest thing to reacting to other musicians, which is truly when the best stuff happens.

Layr plays against my (very real and not figurative) OCD, which is not its fault. But it’s taken me years of hard work to be able to complete multi-track projects on my own.

I don’t mean for this to get into diary entry territory, so another thing I’ll say is some of the ‘performances’ that you can create (or that Brice can create) are so impressive, fully-fleshed, and thematic that it would just feel wrong to use them in a so-called original work.

I forgot my overarching point from when I started writing this, but what the hell, I’ll hit post.

• @MusicMan4Christ said:
    Guys so which is the main forum preset bank?

I believe @richardyot is making a full bank at the end :) :)

• @oat_phipps said:
    Just thinking out loud as I’m browsing the manual, because I’ve wanted to like this synth for a very long time:

My problem with Layr is I’m not a ‘big picture guy’ when creating synth patches. I will start with a patch that inspires me or fits an idea I have in mind, record it, and then move on to finding complementary sounds for it, one at a time, for as many tracks as it takes. I prefer this because it’s more exciting to me to create something ‘on the fly’ so to speak. It gets me more organic results since I work alone, and having to ‘react’ and respond to another track that’s already there is the closest thing to reacting to other musicians, which is truly when the best stuff happens.

Layr plays against my (very real and not figurative) OCD, which is not its fault. But it’s taken me years of hard work to be able to complete multi-track projects on my own.

I don’t mean for this to get into diary entry territory, so another thing I’ll say is some of the ‘performances’ that you can create (or that Brice can create) are so impressive, fully-fleshed, and thematic that it would just feel wrong to use them in a so-called original work.

I forgot my overarching point from when I started writing this, but what the hell, I’ll hit post.

I think I get what you are saying and if I’ve understood, I too suffer a bit from this mind set when it comes to these vast multilayer apps. Anything more than 4 and I lose direction. I know it’s myself and not the apps, but at my age it’s hard to reset my mindset lol

• I’m so hoping the next Sound Fest is Kronecker, as I’ve just made 12 presets for it lol

• It’s kind of awesome in a way to know an appnis sooo deep it continues to intrigue me to this day! Awesome synth!

• @MusicMan4Christ said:
    It’s kind of awesome in a way to know an appnis sooo deep it continues to intrigue me to this day! Awesome synth!

I will take the plunge eventually, but may need a holiday to get my head settled into so many possibilities lol

• Having a few problems importing the following :

ZL_ABF
    Another_AB_Forum_May_SF

It says when trying to import as an instrument it contains performance settings so cannot import, and it is greyed out when trying to import as a performance.

So not sure what is going on?

• @spidergod said:
    Having a few problems importing the following :

ZL_ABF
    Another_AB_Forum_May_SF

It says when trying to import as an instrument it contains performance settings so cannot import, and it is greyed out when trying to import as a performance.

I’m not sure why that is. Curious, though, in settings menu do you have the “Use Legacy Engine” option turned on?

• @brice said:

@spidergod said:
    Having a few problems importing the following :

ZL_ABF
    Another_AB_Forum_May_SF

I’m not sure why that is. Curious, though, in settings menu do you have the “Use Legacy Engine” option turned on?

No I am using the non legacy option.

Found out I was not importing as a Bank, all sorted now.

Cheers

• Something to keep in mind with Layr: filter resonances can get massively loud, when full on, take care of the volume ;)
    Cheers&thx

• @richardyot how’s it looking so far? A lot of presets? I thought about adding a few more but don’t want put too many of my own if there aren’t that many submission. Seems a lot lighter this round, but maybe people are sending them to you directly.

• @DCJ said:
    @richardyot how’s it looking so far? A lot of presets? I thought about adding a few more but don’t want put too many of my own if there aren’t that many submission. Seems a lot lighter this round, but maybe people are sending them to you directly.

None sent to me direct, everything posted in the thread so feel free to submit more if you have them.

With Layr actually I think the more instrument presets you have the better, since they can be combined into performances by the end user.

• Have created 15 or so presets on the times I can summon up the mental energy to work. Dunno what is but it seems like the effort to results ratio is skewed the wrong way in this synth. Happy to submit them but I don't think it's the best I could achieve. Needs another month really.

• Really enjoying LayR, and looking forward to hearing what people have done with it. Not really been able to get involved myself.

Turns out being a new father doesn’t leave a lot of time for synth programming.

• @ccs2 said:
    Something to keep in mind with Layr: filter resonances can get massively loud, when full on, take care of the volume ;)
    Cheers&thx

How the hell did you do this????are you a magician??😂😂😂you need to do some tutorial about the app.😂😂

• Thanks, @Paa89 :]
    Yes, Layr can be magically. The preset is a collaboration with a friend ;)

• _ki_ki
    edited May 2018

I am still working on instruments... Do i need to wrap them into ensembles so that they are contained in the collab ?

I did't download presets of the others to avoid frustration on my side. My presets are mostly ment to be combined with other stuff.

Its still may the 31th here in germany for about five more hours... i try to finish my contribution.

• @_ki said:
    I am still working on instruments... Do i need to wrap them into ensembles so that they are contained in the collab ?

I did't download presets of the others to avoid frustration on my side. My presets are mostly ment to be combined with other stuff.

Its still may the 31th here in germany for about five more hours... i try to finish my contribution.

I will be collecting everything tomorrow, so that should be fine. You can save either as instruments or performances, whichever is more suitable.

• Looking forward to the Doug video and hearing everyone’s sounds :)

• Here is my contribution, 15 instruments

• alright only ended up adding one. :D

@richardyot you can ignore the one sent before, this has all the presets. Thanks for organizing! Looking forward to hearing everyone’s work!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yka0rnw0x98c9iy/DCJ_AB_Forum_Vol_1.layrbank?dl=0

• Today i tried to import some of the banks and presets but accountered a problem:

When pressing the cloud icon insave instrument or save performance, the file system brower does not appear as stated in the manual. I tried to load instruments and performances, single presets and banks in this way.

I managed to load a single preset when doing ‚Open in Layr‘ from Audioshare or Files. But i had to save it myself in Layr. ‚Open in‘ with a bank only shows/plays the default instrument, no bank is added.

I also tried to copy the *.layrperf and *.layerbank into the folder of Layr using the files app. When starting Layr a dialog box is shown, but only the copied single instrument is imported, none of the banks.

I use a 10.9 iPad Pro with IOS 11.3.1.

• edited June 2018

Okay, I've collected everything that was submitted and we have two banks of presets: a performance bank with 18 performance instruments (mostly arps), and an instrument bank with 104 instruments.

Download the files and place them somewhere visible to the Files app on your iPad.

Download the instruments here.

Download the performances here.

To load the presets, here is a handy visual:

To download each set of presets to the correct place do the following:

To load the instruments tap on the load instruments icon on the left of the screen and import the Audiobus instruments to an empty bank.

To load the performances tap on the load performance icon on the right of the screen and download the presets to an empty bank.

• Thank you for your effort @richardyot! I couldn’t get on with this challenge so appreciate everyone’s work.

I think I am missing a step. When you say “to download each set of presets to the correct place, do the following”. What comes next please? I have downloaded them and tried ‘open in Layr’ but they do not appear in the presets.

Thanks

• @gusgranite said:
    Thank you for your effort @richardyot! I couldn’t get on with this challenge so appreciate everyone’s work.

I think I am missing a step. When you say “to download each set of presets to the correct place, do the following”. What comes next please? I have downloaded them and tried ‘open in Layr’ but they do not appear in the presets.

Thanks

Do it from within Layr: as per my screengrab, to load the instruments tap on the load instrument icon on the left, then select an empty bank and import the instruments into it. Then do the same for the performances by tapping the icon on the right.

• @richardyot said:

@gusgranite said:
    Thank you for your effort @richardyot! I couldn’t get on with this challenge so appreciate everyone’s work.

Thanks

Do it from within Layr: as per my screengrab, to load the instruments tap on the load instrument icon on the left, then select an empty bank and import the instruments into it. Then do the same for the performances by tapping the icon on the right.

Weird. Noting happens when I click Import Bank on either side (or the the cloud icon).