Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

iBooks - everything stuck in iCloud

edited April 2018 in Other

I had all my manuals/books etc in iBooks and things were fine. They were all stored localy and life was groovey.

As of the past few weeks now they are stuck in the iCloud. I can read them if I have an internet connection and download them but the moment I am away from wifi then poof, gone, with nothing but little iCloud download icons next to them.

Super annoying! No amount of downloading seems to stick.

Comments

• @AudioGus said:
    I had all my manuals/books etc in iBooks and things were fine. They were all stored localy and life was groovey.

As of the past few weeks now they are stuck in the iCloud. I can read them if I have an internet connection and download them but the moment I am away from wifi then poof, gone, with nothing but little iCloud download icons next to them.

Yes same here somethings changed.

• For the future, chaps, you may like to switch to Marvin (classic version) which beats iBooks.

• @Zen210507 said:
    For the future, chaps, you may like to switch to Marvin (classic version) which beats iBooks.

Looks like I will use ‘Documents’ by Readdle as I can’t send to ‘Marvin’ from Safari.

They don’t even show iBooks in their own ‘Files’ iCloud section... so you cant copy them out en mass and now I have to redownload everything from the source websites to this ‘Documents’ app.

Oh Apple.

• @AudioGus said:
    Looks like I will use ‘Documents’ by Readdle as I can’t send to ‘Marvin’ from Safari.

I also have Documents. Really good app.

As for getting stuff from Safari to Marvin, you could save from Safari to Dropbox, then import to Marvin. A bit of a faff, but workable.

• edited April 2018

Wait, what is happening? I have hundreds of pdfs and epubs on ibooks, none of them bought from itunes, but stuff I opened in from safari or transfered from itools back when it worked (never from itunes sync, which I hate).

Should I worry apple is gonna ransomware my files?

• I’m very old school, I’ve never bought or read an iBook. Don’t need to really since we have about 5000 of the analogue types here...

• edited April 2018

@MonzoPro said:
    I’m very old school, I’ve never bought or read an iBook. Don’t need to really since we have about 5000 of the analogue types here...

>

I used to review books, for a website which got quite prominent for a while. Got loads from there, some rsther fantastic, such as the Daniel Suarez novels. The works I particularly enjoyed went into my extensive printed book collection. The rest went to charity shops.

That said, I also have a few hundred e-books. Many waiting to be read. Sometimes, it is just more convenient to read that way, and it certainly saves on storage space! But after losing a whole lot to iBooks, I changed to Marvin. Much safer, and it allows you to Air Drop books to other iPad owners. :)

• @AudioGus said:

Weird. If I download them they stay locally stored until I delete the download

• @Zen210507 said:

@MonzoPro said:
    I’m very old school, I’ve never bought or read an iBook. Don’t need to really since we have about 5000 of the analogue types here...

>

I used to review books, for a website which got quite prominent for a while. Got loads from there, some rsther fantastic, such as the Daniel Suarez novels. The works I particularly enjoyed went into my extensive printed book collection. The rest went to charity shops.

That said, I also have a few hundred e-books. Many waiting to be read. Sometimes, it is just more convenient to read that way, and it certainly saves on storage space! But after losing a whole lot to iBooks, I changed to Marvin. Much safer, and it allows you to Air Drop books to other iPad owners. :)

We were already a booky house, thousands of the things, but we've inherited about another 5k after Mrs Monzo's mum passed away a few months back. Can't move for the things here so I'm spending most of my time cataloguing and photographing them and hopefully getting them sold. If we had a bigger house I'd keep a lot of them, but we haven't and they're stacked everywhere! Funnily enough she was an ebook fan too...I haven't delved into that section on her iPad but I'm guessing there's a whole pile of stuff in there too. Just a shame she didn't collect synthesizers instead.

• @MonzoPro said:

My ibooks are just pdf manuals of apps or threads about mixing that I saved from forums. If I want to read a book I go for the Kindle with the e-ink which is awesome because you are not staring at a screen of pixels.

• @BiancaNeve said:

@AudioGus said:

Nice. Even when you are not on wifi?

• @pedro said:
    Wait, what is happening? I have hundreds of pdfs and epubs on ibooks, none of them bought from itunes, but stuff I opened in from safari or transfered from itools back when it worked (never from itunes sync, which I hate).

I think what may be happening is that my storage has been filling up lately (gotta do a big clean) and Apple in their divine wisdom may be dumping local things that are in the icloud to automaticly free up space. I will clear off a good chunk o gigs and see if it still happens.

• I'm virtually 100% iBooks now simply due to major downsizing, arthritis and eyesight that loves the adjustable fonts etc. What astonishes me is that Apple (and apparently everyone else) haven't given us the ability to have multiple books open within the app, similar to the tabs for different spreadsheets. Most avid readers have more than one book on the go, and being able to have them all easy to switch between seems like such a logical thing to provide. :/

• @sch said:
    I'm virtually 100% iBooks now simply due to major downsizing, arthritis and eyesight that loves the adjustable fonts etc. What astonishes me is that Apple (and apparently everyone else) haven't given us the ability to have multiple books open within the app, similar to the tabs for different spreadsheets. Most avid readers have more than one book on the go, and being able to have them all easy to switch between seems like such a logical thing to provide. :/

Never thought of that but that would be kick ass.

• Once you click on the cloud download button for a book, it will stay on your device even without internet connection. Otherwise it’s just storing copies of the books in iCloud so you can access them from other devices. Pretty sure you had to manually select this option as well, at least I had to turn on iCloud storage for iBooks here.

• edited April 2018

@Tarekith said:
    Once you click on the cloud download button for a book, it will stay on your device even without internet connection.

Not anymore for me.

Otherwise it’s just storing copies of the books in iCloud so you can access them from >other devices. Pretty sure you had to manually select this option as well, at least I had to >turn on iCloud storage for iBooks here.

I never would have turned on anything to do with iCloud. :/. Those services are just annoying. They get you dependant on their servers, particulary with walled wasteful systems like iOS then want to charge you for space. Screw that noise. Grumble... need coffee.

• @sch said:
    What astonishes me is that Apple (and apparently everyone else) haven't given us the ability to have multiple books open within the app.

>

Do you mean open at the same time?

Marvin retains where you are in any number of books, and can show the most recent, etc. So you can easily switch between. Only one is actually open at any time, but then we can only read one book at a time!

• @Zen210507 said:

@sch said:
    What astonishes me is that Apple (and apparently everyone else) haven't given us the ability to have multiple books open within the app.

>

Do you mean open at the same time?

Marvin retains where you are in any number of books, and can show the most recent, etc. So you can easily switch between. Only one is actually open at any time, but then we can only read one book at a time!

Tabbing sounds great for academic, chin strokey, glossary look uppy stuff... even having the same book on multiple tabs.

• If you have a lot of iBooks then maybe take your 5-10 favorites and make actual prints of them using a laser printer just in case those clouds break open and there’s a torrential down pour. I know for convenience reading off an iPad or phone on the go is great but science is more and more backing up reading the old fashion way. Tablets and monitors are good for quick scanning but real books are for full immersion
    Good luck with your issues with icloud

• @AudioGus said:
    Tabbing sounds great for academic, chin strokey, glossary look uppy stuff... even having the same book on multiple tabs.

>

Ah, I get the idea now. Hadn’t really thought of it from that angle. :)

It’s a shame that the latest version of Marvin is so poor by comparison to the classic version. If the developer was keener on developing, multi tabs would surely have arrived.

• @Zen210507 said:
    Only one is actually open at any time, but then we can only read one book at a time!

Just as we only look at the individual spreadsheets one at a time, but it's sure nice to just click a tab and not have to unload the current file and load the next.

Marvin retains where you are in any number of books, and can show the most recent, etc. So you can easily switch between.

As does iBooks, but every time you open a new book, it displaces the recent list, you have farther to hunt for the next book, and it simply isn't any where near as quick as it could be if the books were already loaded and you "flipped" between them.

• There appears to be a separate 2 screen version of Marvin.

• @AudioGus said:

@BiancaNeve said:

@AudioGus said:

Nice. Even when you are not on wifi?

Yup even with WiFi turned off.

• @BiancaNeve said:
    There appears to be a separate 2 screen version of Marvin.

>

Last time I looked, there were three versions floating around.

• I checked Marvin out after seeing it mentioned upthread. Only good for DRM-free books. If it won't show me the books I buy from iBooks, it's moot!

• I never got used to iBooks. I prefer to create a folder within iCloud (or such) if i want to have mobile PDF files.

• edited April 2018

@AudioGus said:

Yeah, that's the reason why I stopped using GarageBand too. Even the projects I created on my iPad in GB are getting stored on iCloud and no copy on the local iPad. So silly that I have to download them (200+ MB) every time I want to open them. GB became so unreliable lately that I need to create backup copies of the project as I keep working on them and end up with 25+ backups by the time I finish a song. Audio tracks not playing suddenly for no reason, muted tracks getting unmuted for no reason when the project is opened, dual keyboards with same octave notes and the list goes on. No thank you. Cubasis is rock solid and more beautiful!!

Reported bugs to Apple.

• edited April 2018

@pedro said:

Probably fill up our free 5 GB iCloud storage account and then demand to pay to upgrade for more storage. I have 50 GB iCloud storage for 99 cents a month but still have the issue of no local files on my iPad.

• Hah! So everything was on my ipad, all downloaded again. Plus I have a good twenty gigs of space free on the ipad to boot. ‘Perfect’, or so I think...

1. Turn off wifi. boom! little downloady icloud icons apear on every pdf. Can’t access them.

2. This time I think I will be sneaky so I turn on wifi and redownload everything... all there again... good good. Then I go to settings and turn off iCloud completely. Uh? Sneaky eh?

3. Turn off wifi...

4. Load up ibooks... ...empty. No sign of anything, no local files, no icloud downloady icons. Nothing.

5. I delete iBooks

• Let us know what you end up with, Gus, and good luck!