Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

OT: IK Multimedia UNO Synth

Comments

• edited July 2018

Note that we do not charge 260 as the list price for UNO Synth in the UK. We charge 199.99 and taxes are added due to requirements by the government. Same applies here in the states, where the list price of an item like UNO Synth is still 199.99 but we do have sales tax (though ours ranges from state to state and is generally a lot lower than VAT... I guess something about soaring eagles and some tea we dumped into a body of water way back over the very issue of taxation) and expect that what you pay out of pocket will be more on every product because of that tax.

• @TozBourne said:
    I’m waiting for @jakoB_haQ to get his UNO and make a viddy on it. That will tell me almost everything I need to know. Yes, I place a lot of trust in Jakob, but why not?

I wouldn't throw stones in placing trust in Jakob - especially here! :smile:

• edited July 2018

@ikmultimedia said:
    Note that we do not charge 260 as the list price for UNO Synth in the UK. We charge 199.99 and taxes are added due to requirements by the government. Same applies here in the states, where the list price of an item like UNO Synth is still 199.99 but we do have sales tax (though ours ranges from state to state and is generally a lot lower than VAT... I guess something about soaring eagles and some tea we dumped into a body of water way back over the very issue of taxation) and expect that what you pay out of pocket will be more on every product because of that tax.

£199 = $260 at current exchange rate
    Current VAT rate in UK is 20%
    20% of $200 (which already includes US sales tax ?) = $40
    $200 + $40 = $240
    $240 = £183

Stores are obviously adding more on top as they are currently listed @ £210 which equals $275

And this does not take into account whatever sales tax you are adding in the states to get the $200, seems in the UK we are paying the unit price, plus a bit for US sales tax, plus a bit for VAT, plus a bit, plus a bit more

You can try and dress that up any way you want, the numbers do not add up with your explanation. You DO charge $260 (£199) list price in the UK and stores are adding on top.

Personally I am not bothered so do not feel you have to explain any further, I just wanted to point out the error in your maths :)

• Being in Sweden the difference between USD and EUR differs quite a bit as well.

199.99USD = 1773SEK (With 25% VAT 2216SEK)
    199.99EUR = 2077SEK (With 25% VAT 2596SEK)

The list price at the local music-store is 2569SEK Including VAT so they could theoretically make more profit by importing from the states but then again I suspect they buy the units at a much lower price than the list-price anyways...

• @AndyPlankton said:

@ikmultimedia said:

$200 + $40 = $240
    $240 = £183

Stores are obviously adding more on top as they are currently listed @ £210 which equals $275

And this does not take into account whatever sales tax you are adding in the states to get the $200, seems in the UK we are paying the unit price, plus a bit for US sales tax, plus a bit for VAT, plus a bit, plus a bit more

You can try and dress that up any way you want, the numbers do not add up with your explanation. You DO charge $260 (£199) list price in the UK and stores are adding on top.

Personally I am not bothered so do not feel you have to explain any further, I just wanted to point out the error in your maths :)

Oh and 199 EUR = £177, we are currently still arguing about leaving the EU and therefore still part of it, so why do we not get the EUR price either.....double shafted !

End of rant, I'll crawl back under my rock and leave you alone now :)

• edited July 2018

@AndyPlankton said:

No problemo, sometimes it's 'enlightening'.
    Thomann has quite good deals on most stuff and the UNO is not excluded... £204 including tax and delivery :)

And all the prices on IK site EUR and USD are without sales tax.

• @AndyPlankton said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@ikmultimedia said:

$200 + $40 = $240
    $240 = £183

Oh and 199 EUR = £177, we are currently still arguing about leaving the EU and therefore still part of it, so why do we not get the EUR price either.....double shafted !

Augh yes, I didn't mention that whole "arguing about leaving" part - probably repressing it as it is fatiguing and frustrating even for the rest of world!

• edited July 2018

But to note, my math was not wrong as our MSRP/MAP pricing is indeed precisely $/€199.99 before tax. I should have put the euro symbol but thought that was implied as that is the currency we use for your region :smile:

We don't charge $260 for UNO Synth anywhere as we don't price the unit in USD anywhere except where we legally should be doing so (nor should US dealers be selling in USD overseas).

• On a much more fun note, I didn't see him post it yet but Jakob Haq did a bit of a jam with his UNO Synth - looks like the first video out in the wild by an end user:

• @ikmultimedia said:
    But to note, my math was not wrong as our MSRP/MAP pricing is indeed precisely $/€199.99 before tax. I should have put the euro symbol but thought that was implied as that is the currency we use for your region :smile:

We don't charge $260 for UNO Synth anywhere as we don't price the unit in USD anywhere except where we legally should be doing so (nor should US dealers be selling in USD overseas).

Currencies are still real pita since 1EUR is hardly equal to 1USD the difference is growing all the time...

• @ikmultimedia said:

We’ll have to agree to differ on the semantics ;)
    It is still a very nice sounding and very portable unit, I still want one, but sadly will have to wait quite a while before funds will allow it.

Now, if I lived in the states it wouldn’t take as long...... :D only kidding !

• Not sure if this makes a difference to anyone complaining about the mini-MIDI jacks, but this video (0:40 mark) suggests it ships with TWO cables that go 2.5mm to DIN. So it’s the type of jack used on something like a Beatstep, but they give you the cables to use with your gear out of the box. That’s a nice touch and I really fail to see how this is an issue beyond that.

There’s an acknowledged noise issue relating to a calibration procedure the synth does every 10 seconds or so. But IK is aware of it and a firmware upgrade is apparently coming shortly already.

• @StormJH1 said:
    There’s an acknowledged noise issue relating to a calibration procedure the synth does every 10 seconds or so. But IK is aware of it and a firmware upgrade is apparently coming shortly already.

Just to clarify, there's an auto-calibration that takes place not every 10 seconds but 10 seconds of inactivity. Just to make sure that is clear. And yes, there is to be a firmware update to help with this in multiple ways which our engineers and soundmachines hatched the plans for over the course of a weekend.

• @ikmultimedia said:

@StormJH1 said:

Just to clarify, there's an auto-calibration that takes place not every 10 seconds but 10 seconds of inactivity. Just to make sure that is clear. And yes, there is to be a firmware update to help with this in multiple ways which our engineers and soundmachines hatched the plans for over the course of a weekend.

Thanks. Appreciate the update and the transparency in working out any bugs/issues that will invariably occur with the release of any new product. Would much rather see that approach versus the ostrich defense and pretending/hoping like nobody should have anything to complain about.

Looking forward to receiving my UNO so I can check it out!

• Came along a video with this new Uno:
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=23_G4OU-UdM

• The firmware update was released yesterday and is available in your IK User Area under "Firmware Updates" as well as under My Products --> UNO Synth --> Related downloads

• edited July 2018

Mine shipped last night so I will probably have it on Thursday. Would love to see the sonicstate guys (or Marc Doty, even more ideally) do a video for this - less because of whether they "like" it or not, but primarily because watching them work through the features is the most efficient way for me to "learn" synths.

That being said, it's a 2-oscillator monosynth, and I haven't really found anything too confusing in the videos I've seen thus far. The hardcore people are already griping about some MIDI implementation stuff, but most/all of the major functionality I'd expect to be in an entry-level synth like this one seems to be accessible clearly from the dash.

@ikmultimedia - I recognize that the desktop and iOS editors are not expected until next month, but are you able to reveal if either of the editor programs will be able to store and send presets to and from UNO? Given that the UNO can hold 100 of them (I believe the manual indicated the first 20 cannot be overwritten), it would nice to have a portable preset "library" on my phone or iPad for preset sound and associated patterns that I come up with "on the go". Thanks!

• Anybody else here get their UNO Synth? I've had it since Thursday, and after several hours of playing/experimenting, I've really enjoyed it. Would be happy to answer any questions if people are looking at it. The MIDI implementation is actually pretty good and adds a few control parameters that I wish were present directly on the device. The sound quality is mostly pretty great - probably better at leads than bass because of the filter, but certainly capable of both.

I've said that the sequencer is probably the best and worst feature of the UNO - best because of its simplicity, inclusion of gate length, and the cool live effects; worst because of the limitation to only a single bar (16 steps) with no convenient way to save or chain between multiple patterns (unless you want to overwrite consecutive presets with the same sounds).

• edited August 2018

@StormJH1 said:
    Anybody else here get their UNO Synth? I've had it since Thursday, and after several hours of playing/experimenting, I've really enjoyed it. Would be happy to answer any questions if people are looking at it. The MIDI implementation is actually pretty good and adds a few control parameters that I wish were present directly on the device. The sound quality is mostly pretty great - probably better at leads than bass because of the filter, but certainly capable of both.

I've said that the sequencer is probably the best and worst feature of the UNO - best because of its simplicity, inclusion of gate length, and the cool live effects; worst because of the limitation to only a single bar (16 steps) with no convenient way to save or chain between multiple patterns (unless you want to overwrite consecutive presets with the same sounds).

I've got one too, got a good deal on it :D
    Have you figured out what the <HOLD OSC feature does?(Second row on OSC when long-tap on OSC).

The UNO Editors should drop soonish too and it looks very nice :)

I've been unable to turn off the 'Soft Midi Thru' function using SysEX (all other SysEX options transmit nicely).

Meaning everything coming in from the MIdi-In gets automatically sent back to Midi-Out so when 'both' are connected to a sequencer it's 'Midi Loop Mayhem' especially when playing legato-notes.

I'm using an old 5W iPhone charger to power mine and it's pretty 'quiet' no ground loop-noises but it's not as 'quiet' as the ultra-clean iOS synth apps I'm used to :D

• The UNO Editor just dropped for Mac/Windows and iOS :)

http://www.unosynth.com/editor

@ikmultimedia I do hope that in the future updates to the editor will also be able to edit the stored sequences including all automated parameters making it super easy to create complex automated sequences :)
    (The sequences are saved as part of the preset-data so this should be possible and doable)

• For those who have yet to see, IK release a video tutorial walking through the iOS editor. Check it out!

• Is the editor AU, if so i will be buying one of these !!!

• @Turntablist said:
    Is the editor AU, if so i will be buying one of these !!!

There's really no practical need for the editor to be an AUv3.

For most parts it's easier to tweak on the device rather than use the editor.
    (There's still a few parameters that can not be changed on the hardware key-tracking for the filter and 4 PWM related parameters among others. The full ADSR's for Amp & Filter can already be accessed using the knobs since Firmware 1.1.1).

Personally I'd rather se @ikmultimedia @Ryan_IK spend time on adding the 'missing pieces' to the UNO Firmware :)

• Uno questions I havent seen an answer to in the manual or 6 or so videos I watched:
    Basically I want to know if I can save a preset with tremolo, vibe, wah etc.

I get how the performance buttons engage wah, trem, etc.
    And I see in the editor, the Mod Wheel panel...that would suggest to me you could set a preset to have wah, trem, vibrato, and that would be controlled by the mod wheel.
    A) what does it control, speed, amount?
    B) if I were to save the setting with, for e.g., Mod wheel in the middle and go to that preset, leaving my mod wheel alone, will the effect be on?

Second question, assuming the answer is yes, but it is critical. The Uno will respond to program changes right? Super bonus points if youve used it with Modstep.

Thanks in advance.

• @Multicellular said:
    Uno questions I havent seen an answer to in the manual or 6 or so videos I watched:
    Basically I want to know if I can save a preset with tremolo, vibe, wah etc.

I get how the performance buttons engage wah, trem, etc.
    And I see in the editor, the Mod Wheel panel...that would suggest to me you could set a preset to have wah, trem, vibrato, and that would be controlled by the mod wheel.
    A) what does it control, speed, amount?
    B) if I were to save the setting with, for e.g., Mod wheel in the middle and go to that preset, leaving my mod wheel alone, will the effect be on?

Second question, assuming the answer is yes, but it is critical. The Uno will respond to program changes right? Super bonus points if youve used it with Modstep.

Thanks in advance.

FYI
    Answering my own questions

I went ahead and got an Uno. They had one in stock at Guitar Center so I was able to double check about the Program Changes from Modstep. Works correctly as expected.

A) amount, expect for of course the LFO speed.
    B) Not with my setup anyway. Could be the other apps. Not really a big deal though for my use, since I am using mostly for lead type parts, and thus adjusting the mod wheel is part of the playing.

Very much like the sound of this synth, was able to easily make some good patches for the whole setlist in under an hour.

• edited April 2019

In Germany the UNO Synth went down from 229€ to 179€! 😊

So I think about buying the UNO because it looks like a good deal!

Before I have two questions to the owners who already bought the synth...

1) Do you still love and use this little beast in your IOS environment? Would you buy the UNO again?

2) is it possible to save own patches on the iPad when using the IOS editor or did I need the Mac Editor for saving?

Thanks a lot for your answers! 🙏😊

• @chandroji said:

1) Do you still love and use this little beast in your IOS environment? Would you buy the UNO again?

2) is it possible to save own patches on the iPad when using the IOS editor or did I need the Mac Editor for saving?

1) I still like it.
    2) Yes you can save them with the iPad editor. You can save patches even without it, but you can name them with the iOS editor.

• @chandroji said:

On Amazon UK for £155. at present.

I did read recently if you brought it direct I believe IK Multimedia we’re giving away up to £200 of software with it.

• Just about the only thing the 'bugs' me about the UNO-Synth is that the output is a LOT noisier than on my Volca Bass and it doesn't matter really if I use batteries or a good USB power-supply...

The 'noise' is there. Sure it's at quite low level but it feels like the envelopes never really close and reach absolute zero and some other 'random crackles' that feel like bad internal shielding depending on what value the display shows, like WTF seriously. I've learned to live with it but I consider that as a 'design flaw'...

I've tried a few other UNO-Synths to check that it's not unique to just my devices and sure it's present in all of them...

As for the build-quality I had to 'bend' my device so it sits flush on the table without wiggling?!

Honestly I would have paid a bit more to get more knobs, better construction quality and clean output signal...
    (Or at least an included 'cable' to remedy some of the noise issues, seriously that is bad construction from the start requiring us to solder a custom cable like WTF?!).

Still waiting for a firmware update that allows tweaking of the PWM values (LFO & ENV Amount) without the need to use the external editor...