Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

OT: IK Multimedia UNO Synth

Comments

• @Samu said:

@AndyPlankton said:

Agreed....I already own BassStation 2 so not as tempted by Korg or Arturia (although if I were to get them on the cheap I wouldn't turn them down :D)...but this with it's sound in that size is what's appealing

If it had FM/CrossMod/RingMod, Sync and an Audiorate LFO I would have already placed a pre-order ;)

Hmmm...I hear you...I have other things that can do all that...I like the sounds I've heard form this as is :)

• This little synth is great. I tried him @superbooth and it’s possible to create complex sequences and sounds with. But I found the output a bit low. Anyway hopefully we got an ios editor for.

• I woke up this morning thinking I gotta get one of these!
    let it marinate.

• Seems a pretty fantastic feature set for the price but the sound is just kinda meh. Not timber wolf meh but just kinda lacks, say, Volca/Meeblip personality or Monologue/BS2 breadth.

• @ikmultimedia I suggest you don't read this thread: https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/26012/behringer-lots-of-new-stuff/p1 ;)

Please keep on going to produce synths and related assescoires for people who like to play. <3

• @syrupcore said:
    Seems a pretty fantastic feature set for the price but the sound is just kinda meh. Not timber wolf meh but just kinda lacks, say, Volca/Meeblip personality or Monologue/BS2 breadth.

might not be a medusa but run it through some pedals and kaoss pads and could be a sleeper

• looks way better than the monologue

• @tonytutone said:
    looks way better than the monologue

I found the Monologue harsh. This sounds better to me even on YouTube.

• We posted the first in a series of tutorial style videos, too, plus you can hear how great it sounds (I'm biased, though :wink: ):

• If you guys have yet to check out the new tutorial series for UNO Synth. Check it out at the link below. This series should answer a bunch of questions on how the unit works. The new Part 3 addition goes over the Oscillator section!

• Check out the new addition to the series below or the full series here!

This new Part 4 video goes over the filter section of UNO Synth and it's versatility.

• @Ryan_IK said:
    Check out the new addition to the series below or the full series

Can I use my IK iRing to control these esoteric filters?

• @DMan said:

@Ryan_IK said:
    Check out the new addition to the series below or the full series

Can I use my IK iRing to control these esoteric filters?

Unfortunately, the iRing apps have been discontinued making this type of use not possible at the moment. If you have software which allows the iRing to send MIDI to external devices. This would be possible as this device can be controlled with external MIDI devices.

• I'm really interested in the UNO, and the primary reasons are the small size, portability (4 AA batteries!), price, and loaded feature set. I learned about synths from iOS music first, so my priorities/interests are completely out of whack from what your traditional synth fan from the 80's would expect. I have zero interest in 49 or 61 key behemoths that take up half of my basement, and I doubt I'll ever spend more than $500 for one (I have a Minilogue). I'm really interested in small, cheap, hardware units that are tweakable in a straightforward way. And I say that as someone who really has not been a consumer of any of the IK Multimedia apps.

Was @Samu 's question ever answered about the iOS editor? It would make sense given IK's familiarity with iOS. It seems there will at least be a PC/Mac option for storing presets. How many sound presets can be stored on the device (why can't I find that?).

I assume that 2.5mm "jack MIDI with cables included" means the type of adapter you can plug a DIN MIDI cable into, correct? Similar to the Arturia BeatStep?

The budget synth field is pretty crowded nowadays, but this one checks all the boxes (or at least seems to). I'm not sure I have any expectations as to how it sounds versus the Volca series or Roland Boutiques. This has a chance to be something quirky all on its own. Yeah, it's a sequenceable mono synth, but it also has things like the on-board scales and effects that I also don't have outside of iOS. And it weighs less than a pound - amazing.

• Is there a speaker on this thing (thinking about portability and being able to annoy people)?

• @ChrisG said:
    Is there a speaker on this thing (thinking about portability and being able to annoy people)?

There is no speaker on UNO Synth

• @Samu said:
    It's kinda bummer that adjusting the pulse-width and it's modulation depth requires use of Midi CC from an external device. Does the LFO have 'key-trig'(ie. note-on resets it's phase) & 'free running' options?

I do hope that @ikmultimedia posts a link to the user-guide/manual as soon as it's available and sheds some light if there will be an iOS editor for it as well.

Please note that we are going to release an iOS UNO Synth editor app.

• When will they start shipping? Will they ship based on order date and time?

Nothing is on the website or my order updates and I ordered it day 1 I believe

• @Breezee said:
    When will they start shipping? Will they ship based on order date and time?

Nothing is on the website or my order updates and I ordered it day 1 I believe

We are now set to ship July 19th, 2018. We will be shipping to end users who pre-ordered first, I believe it would be in the order in which the orders were placed but also note that we ship from different locations (Italy and the US) so that would affect the order.

• ...and UNO Synth is indeed now shipping! Actually, we shipped some units before today so some users already have theirs. If you do, please share your thoughts, videos, audio, etc with us. Thanks!

• @ikmultimedia said:
    ...and UNO Synth is indeed now shipping! Actually, we shipped some units before today so some users already have theirs. If you do, please share your thoughts, videos, audio, etc with us. Thanks!

Awesome, thanks for the update. And also great to hear there will be an iOS editor, though time will tell if that means full ability to save/load patches, and so on. I assume that will be via Camera Connection Kit, as I did not see a Bluetooth capability or anything like that.

The speaker has never been a "must have" feature for me on these things - especially not in 2018 when practically anybody interested in this has some form of small speaker with an AUX jack on it, that is likely to sound considerably better anyway.

This may or may not sound as good as a Volca Keys or Roland Boutique unit, but that's not my primary concern - I think it still moves the ball forward in term of the combination of affordability/portability/connectivity. If anything worries me about it, it's probably going to be the touch button controls, though the ability to CC map everything probably mitigates that to a degree.

• I will have trouble passing up an analog synth for this price.

Am I right in thinking this has a full on plastic cover on top? That would easily wipe down? Would be a good feature for my binge drinking synthing bouts.

• I’m waiting for @jakoB_haQ to get his UNO and make a viddy on it. That will tell me almost everything I need to know. Yes, I place a lot of trust in Jakob, but why not?

• I did order mine yesterday (from Sweetwater). May be another week or two before they actually get one in stock to send me, but that's fine.

Does anyone know if it responds to velocity via MIDI? Several of the Volcas do not (well, at least not without a workaround), and the touch controls don't facilitate it on the device anyway.

It's a dual-oscillator monosynth, and totally portable. I'm reasonably skeptical that this thing can make punchy or earth-shaking basses, but it has a sequencer, so it's pretty hard to imagine not finding some musical use for it. And it's $200. The live effects section with tremolo, scoop/dive, wah, etc. is another feature that looks pretty interesting. You could argue that the effects on the Teenage Engineering Pocket Operator series are the most appealing feature of those devices.

• edited July 2018

@StormJH1 said:
    I did order mine yesterday (from Sweetwater). May be another week or two before they actually get one in stock to send me, but that's fine.

Does anyone know if it responds to velocity via MIDI? Several of the Volcas do not (well, at least not without a workaround), and the touch controls don't facilitate it on the device anyway.

It's a dual-oscillator monosynth, and totally portable. I'm reasonably skeptical that this thing can make punchy or earth-shaking basses, but it has a sequencer, so it's pretty hard to imagine not finding some musical use for it. And it's $200. The live effects section with tremolo, scoop/dive, wah, etc. is another feature that looks pretty interesting. You could argue that the effects on the Teenage Engineering Pocket Operator series are the most appealing feature of those devices.

The user manual lists some ccs for velocity. Page 34. Not that that gives me a complete answer. But there is something.
    https://download.ikmultimedia.com//plugins/Manuals/UNOSynth/UNO_Synth_User_Manual.pdf

• @StormJH1 said:
    I did order mine yesterday (from Sweetwater). May be another week or two before they actually get one in stock to send me, but that's fine.

Its $260 if you live here in the UK >:)

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @Multicellular said:
    The user manual lists some ccs for velocity. Page 34. Not that that gives me a complete answer. But there is something.
    https://download.ikmultimedia.com//plugins/Manuals/UNOSynth/UNO_Synth_User_Manual.pdf

Thanks! It would hardly be the only budget touch-button synth to lack full velocity control. Actually, people jumped all over the Volca FM for missing that, but Korg included that velocity slider that is actually a lot of fun to work with while playing back a sequence.

@AndyPlankton said:
    Its $260 if you live here in the UK >:)

My condolences. Not sure how that compares to other UK prices for other hardware, but the price here probably the most interesting thing about it, so if there are more options at the same price, it becomes less appealing in those markets.

I was reading through the GearSlutz forum page about UNO Synth - it's only about 11 pages long and few of them actually have the synth yet. Reps from IK were answering questions on there, as well. It was interesting because a bunch of people were gearing up to trash it, and then as they started to digest the feature list, the consensus was that there was a lot of potential at that price point.

The thing that drives me nuts about comparisons to other gear is when people make price comparisons to products that really are not analogous to UNO Synth. The Korg Volca series is a good comparison because it's battery powered, sub $200, and has some connectivity to be used a sound module (though arguably less than UNO Synth). But comparing it to a MicroBrute (which I own), or something even larger is sort of ridiculous when those instruments require a wall adapter.

Part of the whole appeal of this is that it weighs less than a pound and you can throw it in a backpack and run it completely off batteries. I guess the counter to that would be that (unlike the Volca Bass/Keys/FM), it really has only 7 physical knobs, and the rest of touch buttons. So you could make the argument that the iPad I already have is the same size, offers a similar touch experience for (most) of the controls, but entire libraries of synths, drum machines, and so on. Even though the signal chain is analog, you wonder at what point it ceases to be "hardware" when it lacks much of the tactile experience people enjoy about hardware synths.

I'll post more thoughts whenever I actually receive it.