Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

iDensity volume drop in AB or Aum

I opened ApeSoft iDensity - load it up in AudioBus or Aum, the volume drops considerably - yet the meters are still showing normal levels?
Anyone else heard/seen this before?
Cheers J

Comments

• When I open it via Aum -I.e. not having the app open first - the volume issue appears to be normal! ?

• Do you by any chance have measurement mode enabled in AB or AUM?

• Hi Samu, cheers !
    no this is off? May have to dig the iDensity manual out!

• Just checked... iDensity buffer overrides Aum if it is launched first... I.e. 512, whereas launched inside Aum the buffer is the (Default) 256 !
    Big drop in volume was not expected...

• I only get a drop in volume when enabling measurement mode (Called 'High Quality' in AUM and Use Measurement Mode in AB3) and that only affects the built-in speakers and 3.5mm jack. Using external USB-Audio device there is no difference. I'm on an iPad Air 2, iOS11.3...

• @Samu said:
    I only get a drop in volume when enabling measurement mode (Called 'High Quality' in AUM and Use Measurement Mode in AB3) and that only affects the built-in speakers and 3.5mm jack. Using external USB-Audio device there is no difference. I'm on an iPad Air 2, iOS11.3...

Often wondered about measuring mode. Are there big gains in quality?

• @Kühl said:

Easiest way to find out is to try it!

Personally I'm annoyed by 'auto-gain control' and other 'processing' when recording stuff with my iPhone.
    I use AudioShare as a 'pocket memo' on the iPhone.

The downside is that the output volume goes down but the frequency response is 'flatter' (no extra bass boost to compensate for small speakers etc). I don't have specifics as to what kind of processing is done but I suspect compression and EQ to keep the output level as high as possible on small speakers and noise-reduction/eq for the mic inputs.

• @Samu said:

@Kühl said:

Easiest way to find out is to try it!

Personally I'm annoyed by 'auto-gain control' and other 'processing' when recording stuff with my iPhone.
    I use AudioShare as a 'pocket memo' on the iPhone.

The downside is that the output volume goes down but the frequency response is 'flatter' (no extra bass boost to compensate for small speakers etc). I don't have specifics as to what kind of processing is done but I suspect compression and EQ to keep the output level as high as possible on small speakers and noise-reduction/eq for the mic inputs.

Yeah, ok. I understand. I suppose it routes the audio outside apples algorithms for each and compression.
    I also use AudioShare as a pocket memo. Even different turtles on different Galápagos Islands Carry their own house 🐢

• @Kühl said:

I also use AudioShare as a pocket memo. Even different turtles on different Galápagos Islands Carry their own house 🐢

:)

The easiest way is to make two recordings, one with measurement mode on and another with it off and then compare the playback with measurement mode on and off or even on a completely different device.

To my ears the recording and playback using measurement mode is more 'neutral' compared to the 'normal' mode where some frequencies get boosted.

• @Samu said:

@Kühl said:

:)

The easiest way is to make two recordings, one with measurement mode on and another with it off and then compare the playback with measurement mode on and off or even on a completely different device.

To my ears the recording and playback using measurement mode is more 'neutral' compared to the 'normal' mode where some frequencies get boosted.

Thats better material for afterwards manipulation. We want it as flat as possible I guess

• @Kühl said:

Thats better material for afterwards manipulation. We want it as flat as possible I guess

Yepp!

I personally can't stand AGC(Automatic Gain Compensation) which is part of the process-chain.
    (This is especially annoying when recording quiet sources, the noise-level slowly creeps up as the gain is adjusted).

I also feel the output is sometimes 'level compressed' to compensate for loud output levels.

Thankfully these 'effects' are not present when using external audio-devices...