Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Flsm 3 popping with audio units and audiobus

So until (if) fl studio mobile add auv3 support, I can make do with auv3 support in Audiobus and Audiobus support in flsm3.

I’m nearly there, but I’m getting pops that sound like clipping as soon as I route audio back to flsm.

To recreate, add a an Audiobus channel to flsm, then in Audiobus add a midi route from flsm3 to Zeeon. This will play fine.

Then add an audio route from Zeeon back to flsm3. The playback is then has pops at the start of each key press.

Any help greatly appreciated!

Comments

• @gregsmith said:
    So until (if) fl studio mobile add auv3 support, I can make do with auv3 support in Audiobus and Audiobus support in flsm3.

I’m nearly there, but I’m getting pops that sound like clipping as soon as I route audio back to flsm.

To recreate, add a an Audiobus channel to flsm, then in Audiobus add a midi route from flsm3 to Zeeon. This will play fine.

Then add an audio route from Zeeon back to flsm3. The playback is then has pops at the start of each key press.

FLSM is great as a stand-alone app. IAA? Not so much. Needs work. Check out the IL FLSM forum.

• Thanks for your reply

Actually IAA itself doesn’t have this problem (although it doesn’t work very well), this is specifically an Audiobus problem. I feel like I’m doing something wrong though.

• @gregsmith said:
    Thanks for your reply

Actually IAA itself doesn’t have this problem (although it doesn’t work very well), this is specifically an Audiobus problem. I feel like I’m doing something wrong though.

I love FLSM in general. For me IAA/Audiobus implementation has too many issues to bother with but I’m OK with that. I just don’t expect to be able to use that part of the app. I don’t think it’s you but maybe someone else has had a better experience.

• Yeah I agree I’m pretty happy with the built in synths for now, I just love the way Zeeon sounds and wanted to add it on a couple of layers. As soon as IL add auv3 support I’ll be set, but I don’t even know if they’re planning it.

I mostly use it on my iphone for convenience although I do have an iPad. If BM3 makes it to iPhone before flsm 3 adds au support I will consider switching.

If anyone else has a workaround for now please let me know.

• have they gotten their sampling editing together yet in this app, this Is one of those apps I'm waiting on like reason for iOS?

• Yep! Fl Mobile is a fab app on its own , but the IAA is stil shit. Nothing works on IAA still. :(

• @kobamoto not really afaik. I don’t sample much so when I need to I just use a different app like caustic and import to the drum sequencer or directwave. Directwave definitely needs some work but it works for my needs for now.

• @kobamoto said:
    have they gotten their sampling editing together yet in this app, this Is one of those apps I'm waiting on like reason for iOS?

Nope

• Of the two (IAA, AB) AB implementation is workable one synth at a time, but I think the config is subject to the cpu hunger of the given instrument...

Another twist is that FLSM shows up as a multi-midi source and multi audio-in in AB3, but so far is only do-able one instrument at a time, something I’m pursuing with the dev via the latest beta

In term is my realworld use I’m only using in app resources, quite happily

• I’ve actually been able to get flm to control two instances of Zeeon as an au in Audiobus using the midiflow channels app to isolate the fl channels. This is why it’s a shame about this clipping as otherwise it’d be quite a good solution. I think it’s doubling the notes or something.

• @gregsmith said:
    I’ve actually been able to get flm to control two instances of Zeeon as an au in Audiobus using the midiflow channels app to isolate the fl channels. This is why it’s a shame about this clipping as otherwise it’d be quite a good solution. I think it’s doubling the notes or something.

That’s cool I haven’t tried putting AUx into my AB3 build, but the clipping is a big bummer

• edited April 2018

@gregsmith said:
    I’ve actually been able to get flm to control two instances of Zeeon as an au in Audiobus using the midiflow channels app to isolate the fl channels. This is why it’s a shame about this clipping as otherwise it’d be quite a good solution. I think it’s doubling the notes or something.

@gregsmith said:

I tried the AB (3) set up with FLSM, and two instances of Zeeon, sending midi from separate tracks, and the notes from the single tracks end up playing both Zeeons...this is what I was talking about above, my only being able to do one instrument at a time, because all instance receive all midi sends apparently regardless of routing. How are you getting separate tracks with seperate Zeeons working?

• @gregsmith said:

If you have Midiflow monitor it could help you diagnose the problem, in the case of double notes and such.

• @Littlewoodg said:

@gregsmith said:

@gregsmith said:

I tried the AB (3) set up with FLSM, and two instances of Zeeon, sending midi from separate tracks, and the notes from the single tracks end up playing both Zeeons...this is what I was talking about above, my only being able to do one instrument at a time, because all instance receive all midi sends apparently regardless of routing. How are you getting separate tracks with seperate Zeeons working?

Yes. Make sure the flsm channels are set to audiobus and different midi output channels.

Then use this app https://www.midiflow.com/audiobus/channels/
    to isolate which Zeeon instance receives which midi channel.

Let me know if this doesn’t make sense and I’ll send screenshots.

• @CracklePot said:

@gregsmith said:

If you have Midiflow monitor it could help you diagnose the problem, in the case of double notes and such.

Thanks I’ll grab it and have a look.

• edited April 2018

@gregsmith said:

@Littlewoodg said:

@gregsmith said:

@gregsmith said:

Yes. Make sure the flsm channels are set to audiobus and different midi output channels.

Then use this app https://www.midiflow.com/audiobus/channels/
    to isolate which Zeeon instance receives which midi channel.

Let me know if this doesn’t make sense and I’ll send screenshots.

Thanks!
    I think I’ve got midiflow, but off-loaded...Midifire is installed currently, I’ll try that, seems that would do the same duty.

• Thanks!
    I think I’ve got midiflow, but off-loaded...Midifire is installed currently, I’ll try that, seems that would do the same duty.

In case it doesn’t, it’s not actually the full midiflow app I’ve got, it’s just an au midi effect app by the same dev.

• @gregsmith said:

@CracklePot said:

Thanks I’ll grab it and have a look.

So I’ve checked and there’s no note doubling. It must be something else. It’s just a little pop sound at the start of each note - could it be a latency thing? As soon as I turn off FLSM as the receiver app in AB it plays as normal system audio and it sounds fine.

• @gregsmith said:

Let me be sure I understand.

First add an Audidiobus channel to flsm. Is this an audio routing from Audiobus to flsm?

Then in Audiobus add a midi route from flsm to Zeeon. So this is an Audiobus midi channel with flsm in the input and Zeeon in the output. Audiobus will add Zeeon automatically as an audio input in a new audio channel. This plays fine.

Now if you add flsm to the output of the newly created channel with Zeeon as input, you get the clippy pops.

I am not sure about your very first step, add Audiobus channel to flsm. If you do this, and then later connect Audiobus to flsm from the channel with Zeeon, doesn’t this make two inputs into flsm from Audiobus? Maybe this is doubling the audio signal and causing the clipping?

• @CracklePot I basically followed this video:

Look at how he adds an audiobus channel in flsm at the start.

• edited April 2018

@gregsmith
    This is the set up I’m trying with the midiflow tool in AB
    I think I’m in user error here, as no sound is happening on either channel
    When I don’t use midiflow I get sound from both Zeeon instances but there is no discrimination between the two sends and both play at once.
    Midifire was of no help, it couldn’t see any of the apps in play

• If you do it like this and set each track in FLSM to a different midi track number you can hear both separate patches.

I can’t find a way to record them to separate audio tracks though.

• edited April 2018

@BiancaNeve said:
    If you do it like this and set each track in FLSM to a different midi track number you can hear both separate patches.

I can’t find a way to record them to separate audio tracks though.

When I do it that way, the midi notes from either track always play in both instances.
    Maybe my issue is a beta thing...

• Ok, I see now.
    How about checking to see if your buffer size and sample rates match in Audiobus and Flsm?

In Audiobus settings there is a setting called use measurement mode. Try turning it on. There description only talks about input signals, but when you turn it on it also lowers the maximum output volume from Audiobus. It may pad the signal and stop the pop in flsm.

• @Littlewoodg here’s how I’m doing it:

• @gregsmith said:
    @Littlewoodg here’s how I’m doing it:

I think I see my error thank you!

• @CracklePot thanks for the suggestions. I’ve tried a few changes and it’s still happening. I’ll have another look when I get a chance.

Out of interest are you able to reproduce the problem?

• @gregsmith said:
    @CracklePot thanks for the suggestions. I’ve tried a few changes and it’s still happening. I’ll have another look when I get a chance.

Out of interest are you able to reproduce the problem?

Actually, I’m flying blind. I don’t have flsm. I have just been suggesting things to check that could apply to any IAA/Audiobus apps.

One more thing to try if you haven’t, is skip that first step in flsm where you create the Audiobus connection. Add Flsm to Audiobus audio output first and see if that fixes a faulty connection between apps. Reversing the order of steps to connect apps sometimes fixes the problem.

Also, if you are running 2 Zeeon instances into a single audio input in flsm, try lowering the levels coming out of Audiobus with the AB faders. The 2 instances may be overdriving the audio channel in flsm.

• @CracklePot ok I think I’ve figured it out, although not fixed it.

I’ve worked out if I set latency control to 1024 frames, the problem gets a bit better. 512 is worse, and if I set it to 64 frames is practically audiable.

Without a 2048 option or slower I don’t think I’m going to be able to solve this. Shame as this would have been a very workable solution for a while.

I guess I’m back to waiting for auv3 support in flsm or beatmaker 3 release on iPhone. Hopefully one of those things will happen this year!

• @gregsmith said:
    @CracklePot ok I think I’ve figured it out, although not fixed it.

I’ve worked out if I set latency control to 1024 frames, the problem gets a bit better. 512 is worse, and if I set it to 64 frames is practically audiable.

Without a 2048 option or slower I don’t think I’m going to be able to solve this. Shame as this would have been a very workable solution for a while.

I guess I’m back to waiting for auv3 support in flsm or beatmaker 3 release on iPhone. Hopefully one of those things will happen this year!

If you have another AU synth, try that instead. Zeeon is known to be CPU killer. This could help support your theory of buffer overload.