Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Loopy HD and Gadget via Audiobus - having one trigger the other?

Suppose you have a 2-bar Korg Gadget composition. You want to record it into Loopy HD by pressing one button. You don't want to have to fuss about tapping two buttons ("play" and "record") at the right time. Gadget (input) and Loopy HD (output) are connected via Audiobus 3. Loopy HD is set to record 2 bars, and the tempo of Loopy HD and Gadget match.

It seems there might be two ways to do what I want: (1) Have Loopy HD configured so that hitting "record" in Loopy HD (either in its main window or in the Audiobus tab displayed as a sidebar in Gadget) fires up Gadget playback on time and records it. Or (2) have Gadget control Loopy HD so that hitting "play" in Gadget fires up Loopy HD on time and Loopy HD records.

I have messed with the sync options in Loopy HD, but I can't this to work. I can get the play buttons in the apps to interact in some ways, but not what the ways I am looking for or expect.

This seems like a pretty straightforward use case, so I'm hoping someone can explain it. I am able to record from Gadget into Loopy HD manually, by hitting "play" and "record" in each app, but I would really like it if I could hit just one button and have the recording happen at the right time. It seems like this ought to be possible.

Thanks!

Comments

• edited April 2018

In advanced key binding on Loopy select “toggle record and select next track” . or
    toggle record then record next track
    Make sure it’s for the Track: “Selected Track

Assign a midi note , eg C3 on midi channel 16 from an unused/muted track on a Gadget (I don’t have Gadget) and enable Link on both apps.
    To make sure the recording starts on time , avoid setting the midi note on the beginning of Gadget’s pattern ,but put it 1 quarter note before end . That way Loopy will pre-arm the track and starts recording in perfect timing.

Good luck :)

• edited April 2018

As Gadget don’t have midi out, it will not work.

You have Audiobus capability to sync start on both Gadget and Loopy, that way and with Link, they will be in sync for start and tempo. Then for record, just hit a loop in loopy, or hit loopy record button in Audiobus toolbar in any app including AB. You can also use AB remote. Ok it’s more than one button to press. But that setup has to be thinked IMO as loopy recording something already looped and in sync in Gadget. It’s super fast and even better for workflow if you want to make multiple loops. Not an issue really to press two buttons.

• @Janosax Thanks for the explanation. That makes sense, and I was able to make it work. It requires setting the Gadget part to loop, setting the bar length in Loopy to match the length of the Gadget part, hitting "play" in Audiobus to start Gadget and Loopy in sync, and then hitting "record" in Loopy.

@Korakios Thanks for responding. I didn't try your solution, but it seems clever. The only thing I am not sure about is whether it's really possible to put the trigger note in Gadget at the right time to start Loopy on time. The delay between hitting "record" in Loopy and it starting to record doesn't seem that predictable to me. But I may give it a try some time. Thanks again for your thoughts.

• Setup Gadget to Loopy in Audiobus as usual. Make sure Link is on for all 3 apps.

In Loopy, under Settings-Clock Sync-Ableton Link, enable Sync Start/Stop.

Now set the Track Management like this screenshot, set your loop length to 2 bars, and tap a loop to record. Gadget should start playing and Loopy should record.

If not, make sure loop is on in Gadget. Also, try turning Link off, then back on in Loopy to kill and re-establish the Link connection after turning Sync Start/Stop to on.

• @b_hagerty said:
    @Korakios Thanks for responding. I didn't try your solution, but it seems clever. The only thing I am not sure about is whether it's really possible to put the trigger note in Gadget at the right time to start Loopy on time. The delay between hitting "record" in Loopy and it starting to record doesn't seem that predictable to me. But I may give it a try some time. Thanks again for your thoughts.

No problem , but it seems ,currently , Gadget doesn't support midi out , (as @Janosax mentioned earlier).

Only workaround I can think is a cheap footswitch , or even a bluetooth keyboard with the awesome Sidecar app