Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

USB audio interface that’s also a standalone mixer

My Mackie Onyx BlackJack died, and I need a new 2-channel interface. It has to work with an iPad via camera connection kit, but I’d also like it if I could just plug in a guitar and play through my monitors, without having to plug in the iPad too.

I had my eye on the Audient ID4, but that won’t do standalone.

Suggestions?

Comments

• Behringer Xenyx 320USB?

• Behringer Xenyz 802USB is pretty good too, I'll be reviewing that mixer soon-ish

• Does it sound any good? It seems very cheap.

• I'm not sure what standalone means in this context, but: I've been eyeing the Soundcraft Notepads, and the Yamaha AGs. Never owned or tried one yet though.

• Or this one, this is my main mixer I use everyday for the videos

• @Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:
    I'm not sure what standalone means in this context, but: I've been eyeing the Soundcraft Notepads, and the Yamaha AGs. Never owned or tried one yet though.

By “standalone” I mean it doesn’t need to be hooked up to a computer (or ipad) to pass a signal.

@thesoundtestroom said:
    Or this one, this is my main mixer I use everyday for the videos

That’s huge! I only need 2 inputs.

• The Zoom U44 does everything I want, but it’s not really for the desktop. I like my cables not to stick out in every direction.

• The Zoom looks great, but it's also $130 more than that big ol Behringer. Behringer also makes a smaller one, which is $39.99 on Amazon now. And it's used to excellent effect by this guy:

• Thanks for the suggestions so far.

I’m not looking to buy the cheapest box. I’d rather pay once for something decent and then forget about it for several years.

It doesn’t look like what I want is available in a small, 2x2 desktop unit though. I may go for the Audient In the end.

• Zoom h4n, h5, or h6 would all do what you are saying. Plus be a standalone recorder. I just got an h6 and used it with my computer the other day as an interface, it was great.

• @thesoundtestroom said:
    Behringer Xenyz 802USB is pretty good too, I'll be reviewing that mixer soon-ish

I was going to ask about that after seeing it in your last vid - look forward to the review.

• @ExAsperis99 said:
    The Zoom looks great, but it's also $130 more than that big ol Behringer. Behringer also makes a smaller one, which is $39.99 on Amazon now. And it's used to excellent effect by this guy:

That's the non-USB model. The USB version is $60.

M-Audio also has one:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FFH5XMC/ref=sspa_dk_detail_2?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B01FFH5XMC&pd_rd_wg=5iwAr&pd_rd_r=1FZJDHHWC9NX2GSN4JXY&pd_rd_w=k7vEV

• You can make your own USB mixer ...

• @Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:

@ExAsperis99 said:
    The Zoom looks great, but it's also $130 more than that big ol Behringer. Behringer also makes a smaller one, which is $39.99 on Amazon now. And it's used to excellent effect by this guy:

That's the non-USB model. The USB version is $60.

M-Audio also has one:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FFH5XMC/ref=sspa_dk_detail_2?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B01FFH5XMC&pd_rd_wg=5iwAr&pd_rd_r=1FZJDHHWC9NX2GSN4JXY&pd_rd_w=k7vEV

Aha, thanks for the clarification. I'm just now moving out of the iPad; it's unclear what I need. Appreciate it.

• Here is my Xenyx 802 Video

• edited April 2018

The Yamaha AG06 will do the job nicely. It works standalone and the interface has 3 different modes selectable from a switch on the hardware. Latency is nice and low, you can power with USB battery and the built in effects are surprisingly good. It has a dedicated guitar channel with an amp sim and spx reverb which can be toggled using a foot switch. Having a separate monitor out is very useful too. I got one used last year for less than €100 and so far it has been flawless on iOS and windows.

• I am looking for a Mixer that does MIDI also along with Audio ... does such a thing exist ?
    2 audio inputs for guitar and mic and 2 midi usb inputs / pass through for a external midi keyboard and midi pad..a single unit might not be bus powered but a single unit might make it very portable with iPad instead of multiple external usb hubs and whatnot

• If you want really a mixer you could also look at the XR18 by Behringer: musictri.be/Categories/Behringer/Mixers/Digital/XR18/p/P0BI8 It's not that cheap but it's the best model of that mixer line. And you won't outgrow is fast I think.

But do you really need that one? The audio interface I mentioned before serve your desires also. And they are cheap and getting good reviews. Although they have one peculiar thing, the volume button of your iPad influences that of those interfaces.

• The Yamaha MG10XU does all that. I like it.

• @thepinkelefant said:
    I am looking for a Mixer that does MIDI also along with Audio ... does such a thing exist ?
    2 audio inputs for guitar and mic and 2 midi usb inputs / pass through for a external midi keyboard and midi pad..a single unit might not be bus powered but a single unit might make it very portable with iPad instead of multiple external usb hubs and whatnot

This unit does all of that, and also works as a standalone mixer (with optional power supply):

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/iConnAudio2p--iconnectivity-iconnectaudio2

• @rtuckr said:

@thepinkelefant said:
    I am looking for a Mixer that does MIDI also along with Audio ... does such a thing exist ?

This unit does all of that, and also works as a standalone mixer (with optional power supply):

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/iConnAudio2p--iconnectivity-iconnectaudio2

The bigger version of that also does standalone mixing!

• @bert said:
    If you want really a mixer you could also look at the XR18 by Behringer: musictri.be/Categories/Behringer/Mixers/Digital/XR18/p/P0BI8 It's not that cheap but it's the best model of that mixer line. And you won't outgrow is fast I think.

But do you really need that one? The audio interface I mentioned before serve your desires also. And they are cheap and getting good reviews. Although they have one peculiar thing, the volume button of your iPad influences that of those interfaces.

I definitely don’t need that one! The smaller U-Phoria models look decent, but they don’t seem to do standalone mixing.

I just realized I have a Zoom R8, which actually does everything I only problem is that the output knob is hidden around the back, so it’s not great as an audio interface.

• @mistercharlie said:

@bert said:
    If you want really a mixer you could also look at the XR18 by Behringer: musictri.be/Categories/Behringer/Mixers/Digital/XR18/p/P0BI8 It's not that cheap but it's the best model of that mixer line. And you won't outgrow is fast I think.

I definitely don’t need that one! The smaller U-Phoria models look decent, but they don’t seem to do standalone mixing.

I just realized I have a Zoom R8, which actually does everything I only problem is that the output knob is hidden around the back, so it’s not great as an audio interface.

I think they do stand alone. Why would they not?

• Be careful with mixers with built in audio interfaces. Many of them only support 16 bit and have sub par latency response and compatibility. I personally went with a Scarlett 2i2 MK2, and a fully analog Behringer 1202. This, along with three usb controllers and a usb to midi cable + midi thru box are plugged into a powered USB hub. This setup has been super stable for more than a year and I'm happy with it.

• Allen & Heath Zedi

• Keith McMillan k-mix

• @bert said:

I think they do stand alone. Why would they not?

I shall check again! I must have missed that. I thought they were straight USB interfaces which need to be hooked up to a computer to work.

• I did a bit of search before I settled on a Roland MX-1. There's much out there and it's mostly expensive and/or has odd limitations. The KMI K-Mix is very nice, but I needed more channels. The Motu stuff is the most capable, but pricey and limited hands on adjustment. The Behringer XR-18 is similar lots of capacity, but you need to control it via iPad or computer. I went with the MX-1 because I have enough Aira link compatible gear to take advantage of the the USB only inputs and it has a great user interface.