Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

GrooveBox: Needs and Wants and Fussing

Comments

• edited July 2018

@AndyPlankton said:

@Pfitz said:
    What if, also, it were combined with the Launchpad app, where instead of exporting to Launchpad you stay in MIDI and are free to control the parameters of the synths in Groovebox? Make it one app or just send audio to Launchpad from Groovebox with the ability to toggle back and forth... One app might make more sense in the end... My gripe with simply bouncing audio to Launchpad is that you lose the ability to tweak those tasty synths more dynamically. After playing around with Groovebox for a few days, I have a sense the iPad Pro can handle this kind of a load now. I have to think this is the direction things are going. We get so much more expressive control over our live performance this way.

If you are lucky enough to own a Launchpad and a Launchkey, you can do exactly this. My Air 2 handles both apps running together, host them in AUM for recording :) You cannot control all parameters from the Launchkey, but for those you cant you can still use the screen.

Are you saying that you can trigger clips from Groovebox through the Launchpad app? I mean, without bouncing them to audio first? If so, how?

I’m thinking of picking up a Launch Control to use with iOS.

• @Pfitz said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@Pfitz said:
    What if, also, it were combined with the Launchpad app, where instead of exporting to Launchpad you stay in MIDI and are free to control the parameters of the synths in Groovebox? Make it one app or just send audio to Launchpad from Groovebox with the ability to toggle back and forth... One app might make more sense in the end... My gripe with simply bouncing audio to Launchpad is that you lose the ability to tweak those tasty synths more dynamically. After playing around with Groovebox for a few days, I have a sense the iPad Pro can handle this kind of a load now. I have to think this is the direction things are going. We get so much more expressive control over our live performance this way.

If you are lucky enough to own a Launchpad and a Launchkey, you can do exactly this. My Air 2 handles both apps running together, host them in AUM for recording :) You cannot control all parameters from the Launchkey, but for those you cant you can still use the screen.

Are you saying that you can trigger clips from Groovebox through the Launchpad app? I mean, without bouncing them to audio first? If so, how?

No not from the LP app. You can use a Launchkey to control groovebox....you can use the pads to mute/unmute parts and track select to switch scenes, not exactly the same as triggering but close enough, and if you are only using 1 scene then it is pretty much clip launching but using mutes.

You could use just a launchkey, as when you switch apps on the iPad between LP and GB the Launchkey knows which app is in the foreground and the pads control that app, it works very well.
    However, if you have both a launchkey and a launchpad (and/or LaunchControl) hardware, you can use LP/LC on the LP app and Launchkey on Groovebox. It is a pretty awesome combination.

• @AndyPlankton said:

@Pfitz said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@Pfitz said:

No not from the LP app. You can use a Launchkey to control groovebox....you can use the pads to mute/unmute parts and track select to switch scenes, not exactly the same as triggering but close enough, and if you are only using 1 scene then it is pretty much clip launching but using mutes.

You could use just a launchkey, as when you switch apps on the iPad between LP and GB the Launchkey knows which app is in the foreground and the pads control that app, it works very well.
    However, if you have both a launchkey and a launchpad (and/or LaunchControl) hardware, you can use LP/LC on the LP app and Launchkey on Groovebox. It is a pretty awesome combination.

Check Jakobs video...

around the 1:00 minute mark he is muting the parts using the pads...you can do this while simultaneously controlling the Launchpad app with a Launchpad controller.

• So, based on this, I picked up a Launch Control and I’m not having any luck integrating it with Groovebox. I assumed it would be a plug and play thing, but not so. Have tried the different factory presets and not getting any control over the app with LC.

• I heard back from Novation support. The scripts are different for the LC - will not work with Groovebox.

• @Pfitz said:
    I heard back from Novation support. The scripts are different for the LC - will not work with Groovebox.

Apologies if you were mislead by my comments :( .....I thought I was clear that LC works with the LP App.....it is Launch_KEY_ that works with groovebox.

• @AndyPlankton said:

@Pfitz said:

Actually Air 2 handles Blocs Launchpad and GB at once for me at once.

• Having a good session with Groovebox (thanks to @echoopera and motivation here ) and lucked onto two great Poly-8 sounds playing the same pattern....BUT in my tired utterly sober stupidity can't find the panning button/switch/lever.

Someone? Anyone?

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    Having a good session with Groovebox (thanks to @echoopera and motivation here ) and lucked onto two great Poly-8 sounds playing the same pattern....BUT in my tired utterly sober stupidity can't find the panning button/switch/lever.

Someone? Anyone?

I think Groovebox is missing a panning option. No good if you’re wanting to do it all in the one app but you could muck about with exporting stems into Blocs Wave or similar.

Fingers Crossed Ampify make good on their promise of improving the apps soon.

• Panning for the drums but not the Synths I believe.

• @SpookyZoo said:
    Panning for the drums but not the Synths I believe.

Tremendous pity. Seems so odd with all the knobs and buttons etc per sound. But then I still find it odd that I cannot save the sounds I tweak and make as well...

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@SpookyZoo said:

Tremendous pity. Seems so odd with all the knobs and buttons etc per sound. But then I still find it odd that I cannot save the sounds I tweak and make as well...

Yeah. No panning sucks. However I’ve been getting fun results setting the lfos super slow for evolving patterns that gets you some nice bang for the buck and some expressiveness. That can also move things out of the way of each other decently

• @db909 said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@SpookyZoo said:

Yeah. No panning sucks. However I’ve been getting fun results setting the lfos super slow for evolving patterns that gets you some nice bang for the buck and some expressiveness. That can also move things out of the way of each other decently

Hmm. I will def. give that a run. Still puzzled by the lack of panning. Either it is somehow far more difficult to implement than fools (self) imagine or there is some strategic reason why they would prefer to not. Odd. Thanks for the nudge.

• @Pfitz said:
    I heard back from Novation support. The scripts are different for the LC - will not work with Groovebox.

Secret handshake is now even secret to the LC..............

• New drum pack. Vintage Hip Hop (or so they call it). Actually quite good for pennies. Threw it in there against another pattern running from Forgotten Tapes BUT COULDN'T PAN THE BUGGERS AT ALL APART. I know, I know....but still.

• I feel your pain.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    New drum pack. Vintage Hip Hop (or so they call it). Actually quite good for pennies. Threw it in there against another pattern running from Forgotten Tapes BUT COULDN'T PAN THE BUGGERS AT ALL APART. I know, I know....but still.

Do you have the drum expansion ? Not as simple as panning through the mixer, but with the expansion you can pan the individual sounds. Doesn't work for synths though.

• @AndyPlankton said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:
    New drum pack. Vintage Hip Hop (or so they call it). Actually quite good for pennies. Threw it in there against another pattern running from Forgotten Tapes BUT COULDN'T PAN THE BUGGERS AT ALL APART. I know, I know....but still.

Do you have the drum expansion ? Not as simple as panning through the mixer, but with the expansion you can pan the individual sounds. Doesn't work for synths though.

This is OF COURSE the answer and better than just shoving one whole beat one side and one t'other.

Did I mention that I love you and all who sail in you?

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

This is OF COURSE the answer and better than just shoving one whole beat one side and one t'other.

Did I mention that I love you and all who sail in you?

Glad to have been of service :) Have downloaded the pack on your recommendation, now wondering if this is the missing ingredient to make me a better man ;)

• When are they going to add preset saving? Will they ever? That would be a game changer for this amazing app for sure! A guy can dream, can't he?

• @RUST( i )K said:
    O hai.

Novation Ampify GROOVEBOX app.

Do you use it?

I do.

I love Novation apps.

but. but. but.

This is where things go bad for me sometimes.

I have some "thoughts on the app"

ALLOW MIDI CHANNELS THAT CAN THEREFORE BE NOT TRIGGERED BY OTHER APPS. (baby stuff, cmon guys)

PRESET SAVING AND SHARING (Not allowing people to save presets in order to sell genre based "packs" is getting tiresome)

MIDI section export.

TRUE MIDI LEARN. Don't make me use preselected knobs for things. That isn't how I set my stuff up. Let me do it.

Saving presets and midi channels are not exactly luxuries.

So, I am hoping someone is listening on this one.

Frankly, Novation has the game by the balls in a good way.

Apps. Gear. Hardware. Software.

So, don't blow it Novation.

I love your products and professional approach. So, can we please finally get Groovebox in the league it could be.

That is all.

Hey RUSTiK,
    Yeah, I use Groovebox a lot. Love it, It’s a bit like Figure in that it makes it very quick and easy to create your own beats and sequences for getting an idea started.

I typically export the individual stems into Audioshare for chopping up and importing into Gadget for reassembling in various ways into my full Gadget tracks.

I totally agree on the point about being able to save your own sounds and midi templates. That would be at the very top of my wishlist for Groovebox, and probably the only thing I would really benefit from.

I use Blocs Wave a lot too. Mostly for getting my own beats and sequences into the sample editor and using the randomise function to come up with interesting variations which I then import into Gadget for my track constructions.

• @Spidericemidas said:

@RUST( i )K said:
    O hai.

Novation Ampify GROOVEBOX app.

Do you use it?

I do.

I love Novation apps.

but. but. but.

This is where things go bad for me sometimes.

I have some "thoughts on the app"

ALLOW MIDI CHANNELS THAT CAN THEREFORE BE NOT TRIGGERED BY OTHER APPS. (baby stuff, cmon guys)

PRESET SAVING AND SHARING (Not allowing people to save presets in order to sell genre based "packs" is getting tiresome)

MIDI section export.

TRUE MIDI LEARN. Don't make me use preselected knobs for things. That isn't how I set my stuff up. Let me do it.

Saving presets and midi channels are not exactly luxuries.

So, I am hoping someone is listening on this one.

Frankly, Novation has the game by the balls in a good way.

Apps. Gear. Hardware. Software.

So, don't blow it Novation.

I love your products and professional approach. So, can we please finally get Groovebox in the league it could be.

That is all.

Hey RUSTiK,
    Yeah, I use Groovebox a lot. Love it, It’s a bit like Figure in that it makes it very quick and easy to create your own beats and sequences for getting an idea started.

I typically export the individual stems into Audioshare for chopping up and importing into Gadget for reassembling in various ways into my full Gadget tracks.

I totally agree on the point about being able to save your own sounds and midi templates. That would be at the very top of my wishlist for Groovebox, and probably the only thing I would really benefit from.

I use Blocs Wave a lot too. Mostly for getting my own beats and sequences into the sample editor and using the randomise function to come up with interesting variations which I then import into Gadget for my track constructions.

Novation really has some of the best apps ever IMHO

• Honestly I would love to have midi out per module more than patch saving. Multi midiout would rock and allow us to us the midi with any synths.

• @Tones4Christ said:
    Honestly I would love to have midi out per module more than patch saving. Multi midiout would rock and allow us to us the midi with any synths.

How about ....WE GET IT ALL! LOL

• edited September 2019

This looks like the right thread to post a wishlist that the Ampify folks will never see. :)

*automation of any kind but preferably knob movement capture
    *a mixer or basic mixer controls
    *ability to mute patterns not just instruments
    *instrument solo button
    *scene launch button
    *an option for new patterns to be empty
    *direct export to Blocs Wave and Launchpad
    *time signatures and/or variable number of steps per pattern

• @ecamburn said:
    *an option for new patterns to be empty

• @Tones4Christ said:
    Honestly I would love to have midi out per module more than patch saving. Multi midiout would rock and allow us to us the midi with any synths.

Apps released for long time now. Ampify say work on midi out not even begun. What apps do is top quality, all worth supporting. But have given up on asking for development.

• edited September 2019

i have just one wish for Groovebox.

Make all that build in synths available as AUv3 :)

• I love jamming with Groovebox. So my one wish is, multitrack recording of my live jams, either internally or via multichannel audio out.

If that’s impossible, then I’d like better mixing options inside groovebox, such as per-channel EQ and panning.