Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

GrooveBox: Needs and Wants and Fussing

Comments

• edited April 2018

AndyPlankton wrote:
    "Most songs are in a single key...even whole symphonies are written in a single key.."

True - but within that key are many different possible chord choices - the I chord the II chord ( minor ) the V chord ( dominant 7 or mixolydian ) etc etc..

So maybe I put it badly - the cliche chords in Every Breath by the Police/Sting are all in one "key" but the chords are different.

But If one simply selects a single ROOT and scale type in GrooveBox and sticks to that - then one is not just being in one KEY - but sticking to one chord(or scale) and ROOT type.

[" It seems you are saying that the musical aids are restricting your creativity because it is paint by numbers and does everything for you....when in fact that is exactly what you seem to want "]

Again - i probably put it badly and as you mention it comes across as contradictory! - Yes I like GB because it can act as inspiration - but then I typically will go in and tweak the MIDI in the patterns to my own taste - and then want to add separate parts/tracks - maybe entirely with my own MIDI. Or using a semi-tweaked pattern. But I might prefer to have a different instrument play that. Maybe I really want just a good Grand piano in there. Or a double bass - to go along with some pad pattern in GB accompanied by a drum riff- again generated there.

[..if you want ableton then use ableton....]
    I never said I wanted ableton - but wanted some aspects of Ableton - that - frankly most IOS apps of this kind could benefit from. And clearly the only reason any of us would spend time mentioning what is missing in an app is because we like the app but think/wish it could be better. As to Ableton I was specifically referring to how a launched pattern or "Scene" will wait until the first beat or "quantum" - rather than just play straight away. This is not asking for the whole kitchen-sink and feature set of ableton to be added - merely a very desirable feature found in the session page. And several iOS apps already do this And they aren't ableton either.

Frankly it gets tiresome whenever one finds an inane response along the lines of

"if you don't like X and think X should be more like Y or should incorporate some feature from Y .... then buy Y".

I wouldn't bother posting or commenting on flaws/missing features on any iOS app unless I REALLY want to use the app and in some way or other really like the app. Why waste the time otherwise ?

• I don’t usually bother with chords :p

• @robosardine said:
    I don’t usually bother with chords :p

The ol’ “layer a bunch of melodic lines and see what sticks out” approach?

• @db909 said:

@robosardine said:

That’s about it- then send them through a selection of effects and slicing etc. I don’t think anyone could tell if there were chords or presets in the first place by the time I’ve finished chewing. That’s why I’ve no opposition to random pattern creators- there’s only seven notes in a scale- and I would only be creating patterns randomly myself anyway by tapping randomly on the screen- so its only saving time in my book. I don’t see myself as a musician- I’m happy to call myself a music producer.
    It’s like writing lyrics- it’s not as though people are coming up with their own new words...... everyone seems to use words that exist already- where’s the originality in that?

• edited April 2018

...> @robosardine said:

@db909 said:

@robosardine said:

That’s about it- then send them through a selection of effects and slicing etc. I don’t think anyone could tell if there were chords or presets in the first place by the time I’ve finished chewing. That’s why I’ve no opposition to random pattern creators- there’s only seven notes in a scale- and I would only be creating patterns randomly myself anyway by tapping randomly on the screen- so its only saving time in my book. I don’t see myself as a musician- I’m happy to call myself a music producer.
    It’s like writing lyrics- it’s not as though people are coming up with their own new words...... everyone seems to use words that exist already- where’s the originality in that?

I think in the case of Groovebox it is more of a random pattern selector in that they are premade and not spawned from an algorithm.

• @AudioGus said:
    ...> @robosardine said:

@db909 said:

@robosardine said:

I think in the case of Groovebox it is more of a random pattern selector in that they are premade and not spawned from an algorithm.

This is true- I sometimes wonder how many there actually are- I don’t think I have recognised the same one popping up- but then I am maybe not listening closely enough. Once Sector and the slice function in Blocs Wave has had their way with them though- I will claim them as my own creation!........ would that be fair?

• @robosardine said:

@AudioGus said:
    ...> @robosardine said:

@db909 said:

@robosardine said:

This is true- I sometimes wonder how many there actually are- I don’t think I have recognised the same one popping up- but then I am maybe not listening closely enough. Once Sector and the slice function in Blocs Wave has had their way with them though- I will claim them as my own creation!........ would that be fair?

oh heck yah. i do the same with egoist and BM3

• @AudioGus said:

@robosardine said:

@AudioGus said:
    ...> @robosardine said:

@db909 said:

@robosardine said:

Since you brought up the patterns, what do you guys think of the drum patterns? I find myself frequently disappointed with them whereas as the melodic patterns always seem to be pleasant surprises

• @db909 said:

@AudioGus said:

@robosardine said:

Since you brought up the patterns, what do you guys think of the drum patterns? I find myself frequently disappointed with them whereas as the melodic patterns always seem to be pleasant surprises

I'm the other way....I like and mix up the drum patterns to get a groove, and then make my own melodic patterns to go with them....I'll then go back and mess with the drums afterwards.

• HAS THERE BEEN ANY CLARIFICATION ON THE FUNCTIONALITY OF MAINTAINING USE OF MIDI CC FEATURES OF GB WHILE IN AUM AND YOU LEAVE THE APP?

SOMETIMES LOOSE FUNCTIONS.

HAS THERE BEEN ANY CLARIFICATION ON USING LAUNCHPAD APP WITH A LAUNCHPAD PRO AND GROOVBOX APP AT SAME TIME?

LIKE THE LAUNCHKEY APP / LAUNCHPAD APP USED TO. "incontrol ?"

IS THE SECRET HANDSHAKE SEPARATING THE MIDI CHANNELS TO ELIMINATE MOVING KNOBS TO CONTROL GROOVEBOX AND THEN CHANGING LEVELS ON LAUNCHPAD?

And will we ever see any MIDI CONTROL OF BLOCS?

ANY WORD ON CHANNELS YET ON GB?

ANY WORD ON PRESET SAVING?

Still waiting for an "ampify novation person" to chime in.

How about Circuit midi patching with Groovebox? Cool idea no?

• @RUST( i )K said:
    HAS THERE BEEN ANY CLARIFICATION ON THE FUNCTIONALITY OF MAINTAINING USE OF MIDI CC FEATURES OF GB WHILE IN AUM AND YOU LEAVE THE APP?

HAS THERE BEEN ANY CLARIFICATION ON USING LAUNCHPAD APP WITH A LAUNCHPAD PRO AND GROOVBOX APP AT SAME TIME?

IS THE SECRET HANDSHAKE SEPARATING THE MIDI CHANNELS TO ELIMINATE MOVING KNOBS TO CONTROL GROOVEBOX AND THEN CHANGING LEVELS ON LAUNCHPAD?

First things first: panning. Can’t believe I only recently noticed the lack of it

• @db909 said:

@RUST( i )K said:
    HAS THERE BEEN ANY CLARIFICATION ON THE FUNCTIONALITY OF MAINTAINING USE OF MIDI CC FEATURES OF GB WHILE IN AUM AND YOU LEAVE THE APP?

First things first: panning. Can’t believe I only recently noticed the lack of it

Between the 3 apps it is literally all I would need for most things.

IF THEY ALL SHARED ATTRIBUTES AND WERE A UNIT!

Crazy that they don't make 1 big app and an IAP to combine them like tabletop or something.

But each having same features and usability.

I love the apps enough I will stay on it until I am told, not gonna happen...

• Not gonna happen.

• Still in grieve about Auxy, which brought me to iOS music and then lost MIDI Out.

sob

It was the fastest and most immediate experience for me.

So, maybe at one time, full MIDI support will come to Groovebox.
    Then and only then, I would buy more IAP from them and get that thing out of my App Archive

• groovebox really tickles my fancy.. heres a tune where i sneak around its limitations by recording synth actions and combine with some zeeon..

• Personally, I think Groovebox could be great for stripped down live performance, using it like Session View in Ableton. This seems like a no brainer actually, considering it exports to Ableton so seemlessly. Do post production in Ableton for more polished tracks... I find myself using Groovebox to develop sets of music with transitions...

Currently, I’m backpacking Mexico. I’m carrying a small midi controller - KMI Quneo. If I could MIDI map a few things I’d be ready to rock a set here and there on the road with a freaking ipad Pro and the Quneo without a doubt - that would be so sweet and it’s oh so close. Another vote for MIDI mapping capability!

There are plenty of apps for music creation. Who wants the niche for live performance?

• Oh, and automation, master channel, send & return tracks, unlimited scenes, mute buttons.……….. 😋😛😋

• @db909 said:
    Haven’t really felt too bummed about the state of Groovebox since that other groovebox, which is actually way more of a groovebox than Groovebox, came out. But perhaps one day there will be knob turn recording style automation to breathe some life into those synths, which are the only thing going for it at this point.

What groovebox is the other groovebox?

• Groovebox needs.
    Save presets
    Make the piano roll smaller and useable
    More midi things 🙂
    iaa
    And some new ones instruments!

• @reasOne said:

@db909 said:
    Haven’t really felt too bummed about the state of Groovebox since that other groovebox, which is actually way more of a groovebox than Groovebox, came out. But perhaps one day there will be knob turn recording style automation to breathe some life into those synths, which are the only thing going for it at this point.

What groovebox is the other groovebox?

I think

https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/groove-rider-gr-16/id1318750537?mt=8

• edited July 2018

I will add my amens to all the above users desperately hoping and dreaming that GrooveBox becomes something a little more than a very inspiring toy that - like Gadget - seems to want to stay a walled-garden instead of playing nice with the rest of the iOS music ecosystem.

Its about money of course - at least partly - unless Amplify have some policy in mind that thinks adding more of the stuff us muse's want takes away from the casual user who is fine just to buy IAPs in GrooveBox and Launchpad and consume its musical content as-is.

But it cold be the best of both worlds if they do it right.

And surely most of us here would be happy to pay for a premium IAP in order to give us all we want ?

A £40 or more IAP for the right features? i'd be happy to pay this. After all in the rest of the music app world on PCs and Macs we've gladly paid tons more.

Will iOS ever become "pro" though ? another moot point.

• Making numbers Ableton 10 lite is around 80€ so if you have a less than 10 years old computer it worth the money and we can forget about missing features in iOS apps.
    Less money than gagdet on desktop also...

• @Dubbylabby said:
    Making numbers Ableton 10 lite is around 80€ so if you have a less than 10 years old computer it worth the money and we can forget about missing features in iOS apps.

Good points. To be honest - i've pretty much given up on iOS music making and am back in Ableton-land.

My laptop (macbook) is nearly 10 yrs old and fan noise running Ableton 10 shows its age. Other computer is a iMac 2011 and thats fine. So am now mostly using iPad for TouchAble. But there are these excellent apps like lumbeat and the loopers which make so much sense on a tablet.

But there's apps on iOS still getting my love - and we all know whats so great about touch based music making.

I'd gladly pay £80 or more for something nearer to Ableton in iOS though -

• @nonchai said:

@Dubbylabby said:
    Making numbers Ableton 10 lite is around 80€ so if you have a less than 10 years old computer it worth the money and we can forget about missing features in iOS apps.

Good points. To be honest - i've pretty much given up on iOS music making and am back in Ableton-land.

My laptop (macbook) is nearly 10 yrs old and fan noise running Ableton 10 shows its age. Other computer is a iMac 2011 and thats fine. So am now mostly using iPad for TouchAble. But there are these excellent apps like lumbeat and the loopers which make so much sense on a tablet.

But there's apps on iOS still getting my love - and we all know whats so great about touch based music making.

Ableton 9 also has “export” compatibility... maybe les cpu hunger?
    Anyways only iOS for me is done.

• @Dubbylabby said:

@nonchai said:

@Dubbylabby said:

Ableton 9 also has “export” compatibility... maybe les cpu hunger?
    Anyways only iOS for me is done.

Yeah?

So what apps stay relevant for you then?

Ableton and any other programs ?

• My workflow for instrumental creation is feeding my korg microarranger into BlocsWave, use some packs, export to ableton, build aomg structure and send to mixing studio.

Then for fast impro/composition loopyHD on iTrack dock controlled from trigger finger pro with 5s cck etc with funkbox and garageband for keytaring etc... some beatboxing through fx pedal blabla...

I’m working some paths from improving piano for playing covers for pay my bills into neosoul for soul growing to looping/dj also for beach/pool parties etc... I have some ideas in mind but delegate things is the top priority.

:wink:

• @Dubbylabby said:
    My workflow for instrumental creation is feeding my korg microarranger into BlocsWave, use some packs, export to ableton, build aomg structure and send to mixing studio.

Then for fast impro/composition loopyHD on iTrack dock controlled from trigger finger pro with 5s cck etc with funkbox and garageband for keytaring etc... some beatboxing through fx pedal blabla...

I’m working some paths from improving piano for playing covers for pay my bills into neosoul for soul growing to looping/dj also for beach/pool parties etc... I have some ideas in mind but delegate things is the top priority.

:wink:

So you are staying iOS only?

I guess I misunderstood your previous post.

Love to hear the Neo soul

• I was iOS only since I sold my mac mini due to low revenue vs expensive setup and I was more or less satisfied since my focus was on live gigs (Launchpad app) leaving studio task for a professional friend I have. When Launchpad started to wreck I realized the necessity of standalone hardware so I bought a Korg MiroArranger and get some piano classes to improve my musical skills (in September I start over again)

So, for apps and workflow (read again my previous comment with this background in mind)

Blocswave, Garageband, funkbox, looptunes HD, audioshare, aum/ab3 for routing in the iPhone 5s (loopstation rol). Also Roland 4Xcamera to make some videos ;)

In the iPad more or less the same plus wizibel, some arranger apps (and iReal Pro) plus some fx like VoiceSynth, Harmonizr and so on. Also Djay Pro with the fx pack since I bought recently a Philips M1X for pool parties and Chiringuito sessions

Second iPhone (4gen) attached all the time to my keytar with some synths like Impaktor, Alchemy, old Garageband... and also loopyHD for some Workshops I'm planning to do in the Autumm.

In the Win10 machine... Ableton Live 9 or above, maybe Traktor and some video/photo edit tools for VBlogging and so. Ableton to get ready song structure from BlocsWave and send them to the Studio guy. Also considering make some stems remixing songs for and use them into my pool parties.

Also some games like 7days2die for enjoy a bit my life xD

• edited July 2018

It seems to me, for now, Groovebox is really made to be played live into a multi track recorder, like Auria, for example, and then to be polished there or exported to a desktop for mixing and mastering. It works as a production tool. What if, also, it were combined with the Launchpad app, where instead of exporting to Launchpad you stay in MIDI and are free to control the parameters of the synths in Groovebox? Make it one app or just send audio to Launchpad from Groovebox with the ability to toggle back and forth... One app might make more sense in the end... My gripe with simply bouncing audio to Launchpad is that you lose the ability to tweak those tasty synths more dynamically. After playing around with Groovebox for a few days, I have a sense the iPad Pro can handle this kind of a load now. I have to think this is the direction things are going. We get so much more expressive control over our live performance this way. If this isn’t an option, we absolutely must have, at least, automation in Groovebox. These synths sound so good, but we are stopping short of making those pots we paid for useful. My advice unless things change: don’t bother buying the in app purchases unless you know you can use them.

• @Pfitz said:
    What if, also, it were combined with the Launchpad app, where instead of exporting to Launchpad you stay in MIDI and are free to control the parameters of the synths in Groovebox? Make it one app or just send audio to Launchpad from Groovebox with the ability to toggle back and forth... One app might make more sense in the end... My gripe with simply bouncing audio to Launchpad is that you lose the ability to tweak those tasty synths more dynamically. After playing around with Groovebox for a few days, I have a sense the iPad Pro can handle this kind of a load now. I have to think this is the direction things are going. We get so much more expressive control over our live performance this way.

If you are lucky enough to own a Launchpad and a Launchkey, you can do exactly this. My Air 2 handles both apps running together, host them in AUM for recording :) You cannot control all parameters from the Launchkey, but for those you cant you can still use the screen.