Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

GrooveBox: Needs and Wants and Fussing

Comments

• @db909 said:

@RUST( i )K said:

@db909 said:
    I think a simple undo that just deletes all the notes in a pattern with one tap would be pretty great. Not a fan of hitting the trash icon and then the delete button, which always seems to take two taps. I mean when you’re trying to jam and stay in the flow these things matter

Now you are pushing it.....LOL

If the delete button didn’t have such terrible hit detection (at least on iPhone and I have zero other problems like this) id let it slide but its like you are required to hit it in the center, off to one side but still on is no good it seems

Bro I hear you

Way too much "finger foreplay" to make things happen on the app.

But I wasn't trying to limit my complaints.

• Let me point something out.

The reason I did this thread was not to trash the app but to get attention of amplify novation since I only use their hardware.

Exclusively.

But since I was beta testing and the new update wasn't part of it, I really was left scratching my head on what is up with the app and its growth.

If beta testing isn't actually beta testing I guess I leaves me a little concerned of the progress or how the app is going to move forward.

Grooovebox could be an almost silver bullet for many of us if not for these several basic requests.

So basic I don't think these were ever even a missing part of any other app?

I HAVE FAITH THAT THEY HAVE HEARD US THIS TIME.

If they are not listening to this many customers well then that will become clear.

• i’d love to be able to link sections together and record a full song. also automation of synth parameters would be fantastic

• Instead of focusing on one app that does everything and gets regular updates... They create 3 apps that do similar but slightly different things and focus mostly on selling presets. It sucks because they could’ve really just put them together.

• Meh, business... :/

• @AudioGus said:
    Meh, business... :/

Meh, bad business model

for a "professional" gear company..........?

Korg doesn't play this shit....

• @RUST( i )K said:

Well it kind of does ...... with Gadget - in kind of a similar situation to GrooveBox really.

• @nonchai said:

@RUST( i )K said:

Well it kind of does ...... with Gadget - in kind of a similar situation to GrooveBox really.

What, you serious? Midi out? AU support? Oh yah, right... ;)

• edited April 2018

If anything export to Launchpad would be cool and seems like something they would actually do.

Update just dropped! BUG FIXES BABY!

• @nonchai said:

@RUST( i )K said:

Yeah but at least we can save presets.

That is my big bug a boo.

If that got solved I would shut up for sure.

I guess it is a pretty accepted issue so I am thinking Novation would respond already.

• @db909 said:
    If anything export to Launchpad would be cool and seems like something they would actually do.

Olive Branch = Free presets?

• @RUST( i )K said:

@db909 said:

Olive Seeds = Create your own.

• @AndyPlankton - how to save model d patches

• @BiancaNeve said:
    @AndyPlankton - how to save model d patches

That's the old school way....nowadays just take a picture :)

• @SpookyZoo said:

@RUST( i )K said:

@db909 said:

Didn't say I accepted it...... ;)

• edited April 2018

I just don’t get what isn’t happening, these days. Updates - real updates - used to come along regularly. There was actual development.

We don’t use Launchpad anymore, and keep it around so we have access to the many sound packs bought in that app, now used in Blocs Wave.

Groovebox could become another central pillar for what we do, if it had Midi out. But the longer we are all kept waiting, the less I believe this will ever be implemented.

Blocs Wave, is still so good. Vital. But it could be absolutely fantastic, as a pro version, with the much requested features. But it’s just not happening. :'(

• @Zen210507 said:
    I just don’t get what isn’t happening, these days. Updates - real updates - used to come along regularly. There was actual development.

We don’t use Launchpad anymore, and keep it around so we have access to the many sound packs bought in that app, now used in Blocs Wave.

Groovebox could become another central pillar for what we do, if it had Midi out. But the longer we are all kept waiting, the less I believe this will ever be implemented.

Blocs Wave, is still so good. Vital. But it could be absolutely fantastic, as a pro version, with the much requested features. But it’s just not happening. :'(

Maybe someone will just make a clone with the goodly features we seek.

• @AudioGus said:

>

For sure, there is a market for something that combines the qualities, and adds stuff.

But really, I’d much prefer to stick with the Ampify/Novation guys, if they want our demographic.

• @Zen210507 said:

@AudioGus said:

>

For sure, there is a market for something that combines the qualities, and adds stuff.

But really, I’d much prefer to stick with the Ampify/Novation guys, if they want our demographic.

At least they are not selling slice points.

• The odd thing for me is- that Groovebox is becoming one of my favourite apps - if not the favourite for generating my music (prior to entry into an effects chain)- and this from me who was ranting about the lack of automation for a Groovebox etc etc. But I have discovered that it is the best............. and do please correct me if I am wrong........ app for standalone live music creation. I emphasise the live part here. Which other app can you open and be grooving with just as quickly?
    Admittedly the random function has a lot to do with my thinking- but I love it- esp if you have two iOS devices- one with drums - the other with the rest. (I am lucky enough to also have a Korg KP3+ for each of them). It’s hard to beat.

• @robosardine said:
    The odd thing for me is- that Groovebox is becoming one of my favourite apps - if not the favourite for generating my music (prior to entry into an effects chain)- and this from me who was ranting about the lack of automation for a Groovebox etc etc. But I have discovered that it is the best............. and do please correct me if I am wrong........ app for standalone live music creation. I emphasise the live part here. Which other app can you open and be grooving with just as quickly?
    Admittedly the random function has a lot to do with my thinking- but I love it- esp if you have two iOS devices- one with drums - the other with the rest. (I am lucky enough to also have a Korg KP3+ for each of them). It’s hard to beat.

I’d say you’re right about the pick up and go aspect and I do like it for a quick jam just to relieve some tension or whatever. I’d say the thing that comes closest to that with also enough functionality to get serious is Grooverider. Though admittedly it’s not QUITE as pick up and go as i prefer, and I think you and I are on the same wavelength regarding that, but once you’ve made some initial decisions, music and sounds just fly right out very quickly. Of course you can always clear out factory patterns or your own to have a ready to go bank of sounds. Which works great, it’s basically just not too quick to start from a completely blank init pattern because other than the small collection of built in instruments (not counting sampled stabs and vocals and such) there’s no presets ready to go. But that may come and it’s still my favorite

• Groovebox is by far my used most app these days for exactly those reasons. If I’m making music on my phone, I want to capture ideas quick and it excels at that I think.

Did I mention I want undo? At least for rolling the dice, so often I think “oh that’s sounds pretty good, but maybe the next one will sound amazing!” Then I realize it doesn’t and I’m screwed.

:|

• edited April 2018

@RUST( i )K said:

@SpookyZoo said:

@RUST( i )K said:

@db909 said:

Didn't say I accepted it...... ;)

;)

@Tarekith said:
    Groovebox is by far my used most app these days for exactly those reasons. If I’m making music on my phone, I want to capture ideas quick and it excels at that I think.

Did I mention I want undo? At least for rolling the dice, so often I think “oh that’s sounds pretty good, but maybe the next one will sound amazing!” Then I realize it doesn’t and I’m screwed.

:|

Ha, yeah. Undo would really help in this scenario! :)

• @robosardine said:
    Which other app can you open and be grooving with just as quickly?

Have to agree :)

• @AndyPlankton said:

@robosardine said:

Have to agree :)

Agree 1,000 percent. Well .... apart from Beathawk, maybe. And Gadget. Oh, and iPolysix. Grooverider, too - mustn't forget that one. iMPC Pro 2's pretty quick too. RD4. But apart from those, and maybe a few others I've forgotten, Groovebox's speed is UNIQUE !

• edited April 2018

@AndyPlankton said:

Agreed. But only of use to ME personally if I can add something of my OWN - and use the built in "baked" grooves and patterns alongside and integrated with other stuff - hence need for AUv3 and MIDI outputs.

Trouble is - as it is - it sounds great because "as is" its a kind of painting by numbers. But it DOES sound great. Its just that the end result is arguably 70-90% the result of Novation staffers and guest contributors creativity - not ours. What is needed to change that are better GUI tools for MIDI editing and moulding patterns from everything just playing in ONE key throughout - to having means to specify sections etc in different key/chord centres.

What would make it much more individual - and let our creativity in would be - for exampe if we could specify the key/scale type for each "SCENE". And have scenes and pattenrs come in on first beat similar to ableton.

Neither Gadget or GB achieve what Ableton does clip-launch-timing-wise. Other apps like MODSTEP do of course.

Plus it has to be said - their MIDI Piano_roll editing needs improving. For anything more than a bars length its fiddly. needs a zoom thing or something.

• @Tarekith said:

We could do with the DICE and UNDO icon beig placed in the main toolbar. so many of the features needed fast in live-jam situations are hidden behind pages. too many clicks needed.

• @robosardine said:
    The odd thing for me is- that Groovebox is becoming one of my favourite apps - if not the favourite for generating my music ..................
    I love it- esp if you have two iOS devices- one with drums - the other with the rest. (I am lucky enough to also have a Korg KP3+ for each of them). It’s hard to beat.

Yes i'm seriously considering getting a second iPad because i think that could change things a lot in live-jam-improv situations. Dedicating one for the drum part and the other - say to a bass riff or chordal thing. Then jamming with guitar etc over all that

• Has anyone in this topic seen the piano roll in the iPhone version? 2 beats on the screen at once and that’s it

• @nonchai said:

@AndyPlankton said:

Agreed. But only of use to ME personally if I can add something of my OWN - and use the built in "baked" grooves and patterns alongside and integrated with other stuff - hence need for AUv3 and MIDI outputs.

Erm...don't you say below that you don't want paint by numbers ? ..... pre-baked patterns making it not 'your' creativity ! AUv3 and MIDI Out would only go toward you doing exactly that, using the in-built patterns but with a different synth....is that your definition of creativity ?

Trouble is - as it is - it sounds great because "as is" its a kind of painting by numbers. But it DOES sound great. Its just that the end result is arguably 70-90% the result of Novation staffers and guest contributors creativity - not ours.

You do know you can just delete the pattern and then record your own ! And/or change the synth parameters ! There is also a setting to stop it loading the built in patterns so you don't have to delete...try turning the Always Load Patterns setting off in settings.....

What is needed to change that are better GUI tools for MIDI editing

Yes the piano roll could do with some tweaking....transpose up/down would be useful...as would zoom as you say below.
    If you use the onscreen or midi keyboard and actually play then you don't really have to worry about it though.

and moulding patterns from everything just playing in ONE key throughout - to having means to specify sections etc in different key/chord centres.
    What would make it much more individual - and let our creativity in would be - for exampe if we could specify the key/scale type for each "SCENE".

Most songs are in a single key...even whole symphonies are written in a single key....key change would be used for emphasis of a particular part of the track...say last chorus....
    Chord changes while using scale mode are perfectly possible, you just record/input the chords you want.....If you do want to be creative and do modal changes or key changes, just use chromatic keyboard and you can do anything you like....you just need to know what you are doing ;)

And have scenes and pattenrs come in on first beat similar to ableton.

Yes, it can be tricky getting the timing right on these, it does take some practice.

Neither Gadget or GB achieve what Ableton does clip-launch-timing-wise. Other apps like MODSTEP do of course.

Yes, but this isn't ableton...if you want ableton then use ableton....or ModStep if you want...but good luck with getting stuff going as quickly. Which was the point being made that you responded to.

It seems you are saying that the musical aids are restricting your creativity because it is paint by numbers and does everything for you....when in fact that is exactly what you seem to want.....

Turn off the aids, pattern loading and key selection (use chromatic mode), and your creativity can flow freely.