Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

SeekBeats or Elastic Drums?

Always been a Seekbeats user. I own ED but never really got on with it and ever since SeekBeats added the EFX Board I haven't even touched ED. For me the immediacy of Seek is where it's at. Though I love to hear what other people are doing with Elastic Drums and Oliver Greschke is a great dev with constant updates. I just don't like how long it takes me to get patterns going in it. Curious to know others thoughts...

Seekbeats or Elastic Drums...
  1. Which do you prefer?25 votes
    1. SeekBeats
      56.00%
    2. Elastic Drums
      44.00%

Comments

• edited April 2018

I can’t choose, but I did anyways.
    For me it’s apples and oranges a little bit, mutually exclusive: Seekbeats I use as a sound module in DAWs, especially since the interconnectivity has been sorted out and given the multi audio outs, while ED given its trickier interconnectivity (its a demanding app and its happier standalone I find) sample import, and stem export, I use as an (almost) DAW, to sketch as seen in the Mouse On Mars video posted here https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/25661/see-legendary-german-electronic-duo-mouse-on-mars-using-elastic-drums-for-their-single-foul-mouth

They’ve both got great, different feature sets...I love the synth drum sounds in both.
    Lately I’m not doing so much DAW stuff, and am using ED (and Stroke Machine) as all in ones, got tired of working out interconnectivity stuff and am really enjoying playing in walled gardens.

• SeekBeats is good fun and the snapshots are great to perform with.
    ElasticDrums is superb except if you really need polite sounds!

• I split the difference and use SeekBeats with ElasticFX. Use a ton of Ruismaket FM now, too.

• Cannot decide at the moment! This is a tough one!
    Like @CracklePot's solution, though :smile:

• wimwim
    edited April 2018

@kobamoto said:
    both!!

same!!

Though nothing to do with getting patterns going. They each have very different character and approach to shaping sounds. The sound I'm going for is where it's at far more than sequencing with these two.

• @kobamoto said:
    both!!

+1 always get good results when I run them together. Chocolate and peanut butter. Just give each a role and don't overdo it.

• edited April 2018

@kobamoto said:
    they are so different Imo, their sound definitely complements each other... and ED is an fantastic sample mangler

Expecially because you can make the mangling move...

• they are so different Imo, their sound definitely complements each other... and ED is an fantastic sample mangler

• Both together just work sweet
    Buy both
    I did, just feed the kids the following day
    Every one was happy

• Seekbeats. It kicks like a

• My kids are 8 and 10
    They both agreed that getting these two apps was better that Mc D's for lunch
    2 months later they still enjoy playing with these apps and we laugh how this was always the best decision
    Sometimes I even grab their loops with every knob which gets automated in ED as it's better than what I make half the time

• edited April 2018

Love both...

Combine Elastic Drums Stutter fx (midi’ed up to my Beatstep or any controller) playing in the background...

...in AUM or AB with Turnado (knob MIDI to beatstep) in the FX slot of ElasticDrums...

...and use SeekBeats Randomizer page (on the screen) with your other hand for insane combinations.

Love both...

• Both?
    Could be too much of a good thing. B)

• @Scottzilla82 said:
    Love both...

Combine Elastic Drums Stutter fx (midi’ed up to my Beatstep or any controller) playing in the background...

...in AUM or AB with Turnado (knob MIDI to beatstep) in the FX slot of ElasticDrums...

...and use SeekBeats Randomizer page (on the screen) with your other hand for insane combinations.

Love both...

Seekbeats has a really fun new stutter as well. Just saying...

• edited April 2018

I guess I need to get SeekBeats, because I LOVE Elastic Drums, so if enough people think you need both, you probably do.

I just got ED a few days ago, and I've seen the sun come up several times now, lost in the endless fun of perfecting all the automation, and cranking out slamming techno faster than any other iOS software I've used so far. Freaking awesome!!

Pros to ED - AUTOMATION EH'RYWHERE!! 16 drum synths!!???!! (sure a few of them are hard to tell apart, but that still kicks ass). Stem export from recorder, mutes are saved in patterns, every pattern can hold a different sample in the sampler and effect in the fx rack, VERY rewarding to play this app live - start from scratch and rock out!! I could go on and on about how much fun it is. Also - seems like there is a bit of something sounding like side chain compression baked into the audio section, sounds great.

Cons to ED - If any of these are incorrect, let me know - because I'm not positive its not user error or the app, but what I've noticed so far:

The swing / shuffle seems clunky, or not good... at least if you put much on a track it quickly slides out of musicality, and I haven't gotten anything out of the 'jam' shuffle that sounded good yet...
    Easy to overdrive the audio and other tracks, which is fine for stuff you want to distort on purpose, but you have to be gentle if you aren't going for that sort of sound.
    Can only use one midi channel or controller at a time. (I hope this is user error, but couldn't sort this out)
    Cannot route each of the 6 tracks to external app for live fx (in AUM or similar) - only stereo mains...

Wish List: AU, more sampler controls and / or different sampler engines to choose from, midi tracks to control external apps, easier triplet implementation.

Maybe I'll pick up seek beats and compare.