Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Looking to purchase an ipad for music recording, production and minor video editing/website design.

Hello Everyone,
I am trying to decide what Ipad model to buy that would best suit my needs and within my budget. I am looking to spend up to 600. I know Apple updates ios aggressively and this concerns me. I have done a good amount of research, however I thought I would turn this over to people who are in the know.

I am looking to run: AUM, Beat Maker 3 and Korg Gadget to start. Were talking: guitar w loops, vocals, drum machine, midi keyboards. It won't be doing anything crazy. I have recorded singles and ep's on my iphone 6 using 4track and am going this route for way more options and control over the mixing and to keep the work flowing.

Non music related, I will be using the ipad for personal squarespace website creation and minor video editing as well, so I want a machine that can be utilized for this too. I am looking in the 9.7-10.5 size and it seems 128gig should be good. Wifi only.

The new 2018 9.7 128gig is in my price range, but should I avoid getting one with the latest ios installled?
I have seen a refurbished 2016 Ipad Pro 9.7 128gig that I am leaning towards. I believe it has 4gigs of ram, which I favor.

Any input is appreciated. Thank you!

Comments

• I may just be paranoid, but I am leery of any new hardware Apple puts out until I hear it is stable. Seems like some people get burned being early adopters of new models.

I have 128gb on my Air2, and I have never come close to filling it yet. I haven’t done much video though, and that stuff can hog up the space quickly. I have been thinking about doing some video projects lately, and I anticipate that I may need to consolidate some free space to be able to do it. I am sure I have a lot of wasted storage space since I have never run out of room for my audio projects.

• If you plan on using anything AUv3 based (which you more than probably will) then you may want to consider having the latest iOS as there are some bug fixes in there for AUv3.

Are you happy with the performance of what you can do on your phone ? If not then you will want a higher spec ipad with better processor and more RAM....I think iPhone 6 is A8 processor and 1 GB ram ..

• Thank you for your response. I think I will steer clear of the 2018 model. I am trying to get Apple to confirm there is 4gig of ram in the refurbished 2016 pro, but they won’t confirm. Somehow, they don’t know.
    You raise a great point, I’ll need more space for video and should look at the 256 gig which is still under 2016.

• *600 I mean.

• @bird555 said:
    Thank you for your response. I think I will steer clear of the 2018 model. I am trying to get Apple to confirm there is 4gig of ram in the refurbished 2016 pro, but they won’t confirm. Somehow, they don’t know.
    You raise a great point, I’ll need more space for video and should look at the 256 gig which is still under 2016.

I believe the ram is standard in each specific model, so you could probably look it up online for confirmation. I think storage space is the only thing you can upgrade, and the amount of ram is fixed.

• @bird555 said:
    Hello Everyone,
    I am trying to decide what Ipad model to buy that would best suit my needs and within my budget. I am looking to spend up to 600. I know Apple updates ios aggressively and this concerns me. I have done a good amount of research, however I thought I would turn this over to people who are in the know.

I am looking to run: AUM, Beat Maker 3 and Korg Gadget to start. Were talking: guitar w loops, vocals, drum machine, midi keyboards. It won't be doing anything crazy. I have recorded singles and ep's on my iphone 6 using 4track and am going this route for way more options and control over the mixing and to keep the work flowing.

Non music related, I will be using the ipad for personal squarespace website creation and minor video editing as well, so I want a machine that can be utilized for this too. I am looking in the 9.7-10.5 size and it seems 128gig should be good. Wifi only.

The new 2018 9.7 128gig is in my price range, but should I avoid getting one with the latest ios installled?
    I have seen a refurbished 2016 Ipad Pro 9.7 128gig that I am leaning towards. I believe it has 4gigs of ram, which I favor.

The new 2018 iPad should easily cover your needs. I picked one up a week or so ago and so far no issues. I'm very pleased with how it's handling running multiple music apps. Great performance - no crashes or weird issues I've come across. (Although I've really yet to throw a huge taxing project at it). I'd happily recommend the new 2018 iPad!

• @Halftone thanks for the input. What iOS are you running on the 2018? And, what music production apps are you using if you don’t mind me asking?

• edited April 2018

So you wanna be a Rock’n’Roll star, just listen now to what I say
    Get yourself an electric iPad Pro, and take some time and learn how to play

Byrds :smile:

• This is one moment in time where you need the latest ios. It fixes some problems for musicians.

• @bird555 said:
    @Halftone thanks for the input. What iOS are you running on the 2018? And, what music production apps are you using if you don’t mind me asking?

New iPad came with ios 11.3. I use many apps... lots of AUM, with some AU fx and synths like Model 15, zeeon, Addictive Pro (lately but some older ones too - Thor sunrizer etc) GarageBand. Gadget. Cubasis. Beatmaker3. Honestly was expecting one or two issues of some kind - but nothing yet.

I came from an iPad 4 - so the performance increase is quite noticeable. But I was using my iphone6s the past several months more for music making which I thought performed great. The new iPad feels just a little more snappy and speedier than the 6s.

• @Halftone I’m sold on the 2018. Sounds like it will handle things and the new iOS isn’t scaring me as it did. I’m getting some positive feedback.

• @CracklePot said:
    I may just be paranoid, but I am leery of any new hardware Apple puts out until I hear it is stable. Seems like some people get burned being early adopters of new models.

CP is right. Apple, these days, cannot be trusted to release a new hardware or software product that ‘just works.’ So if you can, either wait and see, or buy something that has had the kinks worked out.

FWIW, I have an iPad Pro 10.5 second generation with 4gb RAM and a 256gb storage. I was an early adopter, and had a few very irritating problems. Today, Apple seem to have sorted out some kind of software workaround, and the iPad mostly behaves. Having the 4gb of RAM and large storage space means the kind of tasks you envisage are made easier to accomplish, for example, with LumaFusion. Almost a year on from buying, I still have over 170gb free.

• @bird555 said:
    Hello Everyone,

Non music related, I will be using the ipad for personal squarespace website creation and minor video editing as well, so I want a machine that can be utilized for this too.

For web related, these are the best apps - Coda, Navicat, Analytics, Status Board, etc.

• I would get a device with 4gb ram, just for future proof. That means 2018 iPad and the old 2016 iPad Pro 9.7 are out.

How about the 10.5” pro? Refurbished for $549 or $689
    https://www.apple.com/shop/product/FPDY2LL/A/refurbished-105-inch-ipad-pro-wi-fi-256gb-space-gray

• @Hmtx I think you nailed it. Worth spending a little more too.

• Thank you everyone for your responses. It helps!

• @bird555 said:
    @Hmtx I think you nailed it. Worth spending a little more too.

I agree. For me the extra screen space makes the experience much more enjoyable, especially if using on stage. Go 12.9 if you can!

• @Zen210507 what iOS are you running on the 10.5 iPad Pro? I am picking up the 10.5 Pro from 2017. Just curious. Thank you.

• When you really want to do video editing with your new iPad and you want to do that with the same iPad for say al least three years I think you should look for an iPad Pro with 4GB of RAM. And look for an iPad with more than 128GB. Because videos will eat that way more than music does.

• edited April 2018

@bird555 said:
    @Zen210507 what iOS are you running on the 10.5 iPad Pro? I am picking up the 10.5 Pro from 2017. Just curious. Thank you.

>

Yep, I have a 2017 iPad Pro 10.5 with 256 storage, and 4gb RAM. It is the latest IOS, 11.3.

• Cool. Thanks!