Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

ChordMaps2 - Set Up And Tutorial for the iPad - THIS IS A BRILLIANT APP

If someone asked me "What Is The Most Useful App" I think right now I would say "ChordMaps2"
I honestly can't say enough good things about this.

You can get ChordMaps2 here at the App Store
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/chordmaps2/id1098330720?mt=8&uo=4&at=1l3voJz

Comments

• Isn’t this kind of like the Propellerhead’s scales and chords device?

• No iPhone compatibility :-(

• BRAMBOS alert! This fabulous app is begging for the Brambos Melody Machine. Either stand alone, or Rozetta.

• This app is my fav of all chord apps. Totally agree with you Doug. Made loads of stuff using this app.

• @studs1966 It’s thank to Zen that I actually found this, somehow I'd overlooked it, Zen asked if I was going to have a look, I'm so glad I did, I mean if nothing else you can have a total blast just playing with it, I got some truly beautiful things going on with LayR

• Yup, this one is awesome. Looks a little messy at first, but it is pretty logical in its layout and you can learn it pretty easily. Great documentation to help you decipher the layout, too.

• @thesoundtestroom said:
    @studs1966 It’s thank to Zen that I actually found this, somehow I'd overlooked it, Zen asked if I was going to have a look, I'm so glad I did, I mean if nothing else you can have a total blast just playing with it, I got some truly beautiful things going on with LayR

>

I only found it via somone mentioning it in passing, in a thread about another chord generator. As soon as I saw it given a proper workout, I bought it via your link. Mind bogglingly interesting app. For musician and dabbler alike, as so much is being done in the background.

No idea if it is possible, but should it prove that Rozetta or Fugue Machine could be sent into this, that would be the icing on the cake.

• Nice review Doug.

This, ChordBot and Suggester are my goto apps for this kind of work.

• edited April 2018

Can’t use Chordmaps2 together with Ravenscroft275 pianoapp any longer... Any other that has this problem?

And, yes, Chordmaps2 is amazing!!

• Wow Doug this is such an awesome video. This and Navichord are my top two fav chord apps!
    But there’s so much info you’ve provided that I have to watch it again and again to catch every golden nugget of info; great job as always! :)

• Are we limited to major keys, or are minor available too?

• @Coloobar Yes, minor keys are available

• Great app review. I’ve been wanting to add more harmonic elements to my music and since my music theory is very minimal an app like this really helps to jump start these efforts.

• According to the devs this does have midi in, but so far I cannot get a combo of Fugue Machine, AniMoog and ChordMaps2 to do as expected.

• @Zen210507 said:
    According to the devs this does have midi in, but so far I cannot get a combo of Fugue Machine, AniMoog and ChordMaps2 to do as expected.

What are you trying to set up?

• I'd love to see some automated arpeggiation added to this app.

• @CracklePot said:

>

Fugue Machine to play AniMoog sounds through ChordMap2. But I may just be flushed with enthusiasm, and not seeing why this won’t work.

• @Nu2moro said:
    No iPhone compatibility :-(

There was ChordMap for iPhone on iOS 10, maybe only 32 Bit?

• @Zen210507 said:

@CracklePot said:

>

Fugue Machine to play AniMoog sounds through ChordMap2. But I may just be flushed with enthusiasm, and not seeing why this won’t work.

So like, Fugue Machine notes trigger ChordMaps2 chords that then play in Animoog?

• @tja said:

@Nu2moro said:
    No iPhone compatibility :-(

There was ChordMap for iPhone on iOS 10, maybe only 32 Bit?

It’s called ChordMapMidi, last updated in 2012 so yeah, 32 bit only. However I just redownloaded it on my iOS 10.3 iPhone 6+ and on a quick test with Animoog, it still works!

• @Zen210507 said:

@thesoundtestroom said:
    @studs1966 It’s thank to Zen that I actually found this, somehow I'd overlooked it, Zen asked if I was going to have a look, I'm so glad I did, I mean if nothing else you can have a total blast just playing with it, I got some truly beautiful things going on with LayR

>

I only found it via somone mentioning it in passing, in a thread about another chord generator. As soon as I saw it given a proper workout, I bought it via your link. Mind bogglingly interesting app. For musician and dabbler alike, as so much is being done in the background.

No idea if it is possible, but should it prove that Rozetta or Fugue Machine could be sent into this, that would be the icing on the cake.

That may have been me, together with some links to the dcoumentation and the PDF overview.

Loving that app, being not able to play Piano myself :D :/

Great tutorial, Doug! @thesoundtestroom

• @CracklePot said:
    So like, Fugue Machine notes trigger ChordMaps2 chords that then play in Animoog?

>

Yeah. But just heard from dev who says this won’t work.

There is the possibility of Fugue Machine and ChordMaps2 sending midi to AniMoog at the sane time, providing nothing crosses paths, so to speak. But not what I had in mind. Maybe a workaround will occur,

In the meantime, there is so much this app can do, I’m not going to be short of things to try. :)

• This app seems great if you like boring vanilla harmony with jumpy voice-leading. That said, please post your creations and prove me wrong. Here's hoping some genius will eventually get something original and creative out of it.

• @Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:
    This app seems great if you like boring vanilla harmony with jumpy voice-leading. That said, please post your creations and prove me wrong. Here's hoping some genius will eventually get something original and creative out of it.

I wouldn't have worded it this way, but I'm inclined to agree. Standard harmony I'm fine with (major, minor and modal) but it's the more outside stuff I'd be interested in seeing it generate. I have a hard time thinking outside standard triad or seventh chord harmony.

• @Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr : I tend to agree with that assesment

• @dvlmusic said:

@Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:
    This app seems great if you like boring vanilla harmony with jumpy voice-leading. That said, please post your creations and prove me wrong. Here's hoping some genius will eventually get something original and creative out of it.

I wouldn't have worded it this way, but I'm inclined to agree. Standard harmony I'm fine with (major, minor and modal) but it's the more outside stuff I'd be interested in seeing it generate. I have a hard time thinking outside standard triad or seventh chord harmony.

The artistry is in the voicing and voice-leading. These chord suggesters don't do that stuff. Yet. Maybe someday someone will program an app that can do this:

@dvlmusic said:

@Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:

The artistry is in the voicing and voice-leading. These chord suggesters don't do that stuff. Yet. Maybe someday someone will program an app that can do this:

Yeah, I can see that. I have been leaning toward more interestingly voiced chords lately - suspended chords with the 3rd in the bass, building chords with all fourths, etc. Just trying to split the difference between modern gospel/jazz voicings and traditional pop/triad/seventh stuff.

I haven't tried this app. It looks complicated to do something simple. If understood, maybe there's enough control there to get the voice-leading the player/composer wants, and could be considered just another kind of MIDI controller. For many kinds of music, harmony is extremely basic. It's only boring if it's boring music.

• Buzz kill. :(

• @lovadamusic said:
    pFor many kinds of music, harmony is extremely basic. It's only boring if it's boring music.

>

Exactly. It is all down to sonic imagination. This app can’t give a user that, but it can be of great help experimenting, and once something good arrives....