Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Elastic Drums - just got it and love it like crazy

Comments

• a little tip : pair ED with replicant 2... miam 😎

• question : when i reload my ED project in Aum, i have to reload my presets as well... is there a way around this ?

• @mlau said:
    question : when i reload my ED project in Aum, i have to reload my presets as well... is there a way around this ?

Unfortunately not

• @gsm909 i’ll do without , not a big prob... thanks for answering !

• Anyone know how to the process of choosing an instrument so it applies across all patterns?

Think theres a way because it applied somehow but usually if you choose an instument, then each pattern seems to have different instruments and you might have to manually change or copy and paste. Just need to lay down a simple hi hat so it applies to all patterns and not be a hi hat then a completely different instrument on the next pattern/sequence.

• Dont worry. Isnt possible.

• edited February 2020

@sigma79 said:
    Anyone know how to the process of choosing an instrument so it applies across all patterns?

Think theres a way because it applied somehow but usually if you choose an instument, then each pattern seems to have different instruments and you might have to manually change or copy and paste. Just need to lay down a simple hi hat so it applies to all patterns and not be a hi hat then a completely different instrument on the next pattern/sequence.

Workaround you probably figured out on this is to set up the synths/sounds you want in first pattern and copy/paste to the length of the project you want. Not necessary to enter note data at the point

Another route is in the tools menu:

(The copy seq and instrument function)

Slight inconvenience but I see the reasoning, it opens up the apparent limitations of the 6 tracks

• @gsm909 said:

@mlau said:
    question : when i reload my ED project in Aum, i have to reload my presets as well... is there a way around this ?

Unfortunately not

This is why I always host IAA apps in Audiobus and then route their audio to AUM (for its superior mixing, multiple AU windows and stem recording).

Most (not all, but most) IAA apps have Audiobus State Saving so their settings can be recalled, just like AUs. This includes AUM, so all you have to do is load the Audiobus session and everything else will be recalled; IAA apps with State Saving hosted in Audiobus and AUs hosted in AUM.

It also gives you the Audiobus slideover panel in AUM so you can remotely control IAA apps (like stepping through ED's patterns) while still on the AUM screen.

• @Littlewoodg said:

@sigma79 said:
    Anyone know how to the process of choosing an instrument so it applies across all patterns?

Workaround you probably figured out on this is to set up the synths/sounds you want in first pattern and copy/paste to the length of the project you want. Not necessary to enter note data at the point

Another route is in the tools menu:

(The copy seq and instrument function)

Slight inconvenience but I see the reasoning, it opens up the apparent limitations of the 6 tracks

Thanks mate. Guess it helps to build structure first.

• Hi. What I mean is. You gave a good tip, to not add a sequence but copy instrument. Guess the app gives the option of being direct but also easier varied on a pattern basis.

• I love this forum. I’d bought and then completely ignored Elastic Drums as soon as I realised it wasn’t AUv3 but thanks to this thread I just had a play with it and discovered quite how good it is.

• It’s a helluva great app.

• I remember when it faced came on the scene I was like no way, not gonna make me turn away from SeekBeats in a zillion years and lo and behold Elastic turned out to be it's own little slice of nirvana... one of the must haves!!

• Me too. However much I loved Elastic Drums, without AUv3, I never use it anymore. Please concentrate on AUv3 apps. I personally would buy new AUv3 apps from this dev :)

• The only part of Elastic Drums I've really enjoyed is the synth engine :)

So what about a fully chromatic 1-part AUv3?
    (if more parts are needed just load more AUv3's and sequence / automate them with your favorite host).

• @Samu said:
    The only part of Elastic Drums I've really enjoyed is the synth engine :)

I think the synth engine is it's weakest point. The interface and morphing possibilities are fantastic. Whenever I got something going which I thought sounded pretty good on its own, when exported / recorded into DAW it sounded flat and two dimensional compared to other other drum sources.

• AU<3 all the way!!!!! Oliver go strong! 💪🏼

• AU + more slick/modern interface + step/global probability and I will buy it again without any question

• @ElectroHead said:

@Samu said:
    The only part of Elastic Drums I've really enjoyed is the synth engine :)

I think the synth engine is it's weakest point. The interface and morphing possibilities are fantastic. Whenever I got something going which I thought sounded pretty good on its own, when exported / recorded into DAW it sounded flat and two dimensional compared to other other drum sources.

so would you guys rather the dev focus on improving the synth engine in the current version and then when it's sounding good for you, then make it an au?

• @Fruitbat1919 said:
    Me too. However much I loved Elastic Drums, without AUv3, I never use it anymore. Please concentrate on AUv3 apps. I personally would buy new AUv3 apps from this dev :)

where have you been, don't scare me like that?

• @kobamoto said:

so would you guys rather the dev focus on improving the synth engine in the current version and then when it's sounding good for you, then make it an au?

Yes. Sound is most important.

• Might be hard to change the synth engine without screwing up everyone's existing projects. I'm guessing that's not so much what he meant and that he was talking about improving or adding features. Just a guess.

• @kobamoto said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:
    Me too. However much I loved Elastic Drums, without AUv3, I never use it anymore. Please concentrate on AUv3 apps. I personally would buy new AUv3 apps from this dev :)

Resting for a few months lol. Problem is the large backlog of lovely apps to buy ;)

• @Fruitbat1919 said:

@kobamoto said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

Resting for a few months lol. Problem is the large backlog of lovely apps to buy ;)

Resting? RESTING? Makes furious note....

:)

Hope you're well....

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

@kobamoto said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

Resting? RESTING? Makes furious note....

:)

Hope you're well....

Not too bad, but so many new apps to learn my head is spinning. Definitely going to buy a new iPad soon. I can feel my Air2 creaking under the load sometimes these days.

I would say that the quality definitely seems to be rising in iOS apps of late. Seems quite a bit more interest in iOS music making on You Tube.

Can’t believe it was over 4 years ago I was an iOS music making newb lol

• Give me an A... Give me a U...!

• So here’s the full text. Now that I have read that the idea is not to make ED an AU but to break it out instead then I think he should focus on improving the sound and features instead. Making the whole app AU would make more sense to me than trying to split parts of it out as AU.

“Should I still improve the current version of Elastic Drum, or rather concentrate on making (parts of) Elastic Drums AUv3 ???

2 Days ago I danced on an inspiring dj set and I had some ideas to improve the existing version of Elastic Drums. The basic idea is super simple: Now you can switch between different patterns, means all channels change at once. How about having the ability to switch the sequence of only one channel? Switch to the hithat sequence of the next pattern, or switch to the Bassdrum sequence of the previous pattern, or switch to the melody sequence from any another pattern?
    This way you could quickly create variations of a pattern, the pattern could constantly slightly be in change - actually it would fit perfectly to "elastic" concept of ED. What do you think of that?

This leads to a second more general question: Should I still improve the current version of Elastic Drum, or rather concentrate on making (parts of) Elastic Drums AUv3?

I am not sure, if it makes any sense to play with 2 instances of Elastic Drums, as it exists right now. What would be the reason or the benefit then of adding AUv3 support?
    Going AUv3, I think I would rather split ED up in different parts and offer the sequencer as an AUv3 midi plugin, the audio engine as an AUv3 instrument plugin, maybe the effects section as a third AUv3 effects plugin even. But then Elastic Drums would be something completely different, it would totally miss it's "all in a box" groovebox feeling.

The other route would be: I improve the current version of Elastic Drums, add new features, maybe even AUv3 plugin FX support for the master section, add another sampler, improve the piano / melody screen, make it 8 channels instead of 6, and so on ...

So what are your thoughts on this, which route should we go?

By the way, the DJ I liked so much was Deena Abdeleahead:
    I would like to create these kind of Rhythms on ED also ;)

• edited February 2020

Improvements and new features to ElasticDrums or some pieces of the existing app rewritten as AU modules is the choice on offer.

• @ExAsperis99 said:

Anyway, I feel like I'm just scratching the surface. Especially after listening to the rest of the new Modest Mouse record, "Dimensional People." The album is pretty remarkable; it's like a cross between Can, Faust, Fela, Kendrick Lamar's jazzier excursions. At least a couple of the tracks on the album have ED as their base, so the app is capable of putting out airy, jazzy sounds.

ya mean Mouse On Mars

.. must have had the indie rock auto-correct on ..