Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

“Sidechain” using MIDI controlled volume in AUM/Rozeta

Yes, I’m bringing the sidechaining thing up again. 🧟‍♂️

I’m trying to get the pumping sidechain effect (just like Pumphouse) on a channel in AUM, but I want it to be triggered dynamically by live playing on our electronic kit / Nord Drum. Ideally I want to do this with a MIDI note triggering the “ducking” effect.

My first thought to do this creatively was to assign the note to the MIDI Ctrl of the channel volume fader in AUM and set the range inversely. This works but it’s too fast (the MIDI note is short) and the decay back to normal is instant. I want to be able to adjust the decay/release to my liking.

Anyway, my next thought was to use Rozeta LFO and try to shape the modulator. In MIDI Trig Mode this works somewhat, but the kick drum MIDI note only advances the LFO while the Note ON is active and again that’s too short. Plus to work properly, it would have to advance the LFO an entire cycle rather than a little bit each time the note is hit.

So does anyone have any ideas using this method with MIDI Ctrl of the channel volume being ducked properly, initiated by a MIDI note? Perhaps one of the other Rozeta plugins will work better for this? Perhaps @brambos would consider adding an Envelope designer plugin to Rozeta that could fire off just from a quick MIDI trigger signal? 😉 It would be amazing if I could pull this off.

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @d4d0ug said:
    I’ve been down both these paths. The closest I’ve got it to work is using midiLFOs - the lfos ‘retrigger’.

How “close” have you got it to work with midiLFOs? Does it work as we are both wanting?

• @soundshaper said:

@d4d0ug said:
    I’ve been down both these paths. The closest I’ve got it to work is using midiLFOs - the lfos ‘retrigger’.

How “close” have you got it to work with midiLFOs? Does it work as we are both wanting?

At this point I think Rozeta lfo would only work on material that’s very time based. Perhaps if you’re after MIDI ducking you could do hand automation to develop typical curves and then create MIDI sequences to triggers those automations? Another alternative would be to have something like MIdiflow, MidiFire, SunVox, or Pd that can be used to generate these sorts of sequences in an algorithmic way?

• Im only brainstrorming but maybe you could use iVCS AU3 envelope/VCA to trigger the volume by midi. Ive not worked out how to use the iVCS AU3 yet so cant give details

• I think the right way to do this would be to have a MIDI-triggable VCA-with-envelope AU fx plugin. It could have both ducking and gating modes, with attack/release settings, etc.

• @j_liljedahl said:
    I think the right way to do this would be to have a MIDI-triggable VCA-with-envelope AU fx plugin. It could have both ducking and gating modes, with attack/release settings, etc.

+1

Maybe Klevgränd will develop an AUv3 version of Kuvert at some point, and push the, um...

Seems to be a gap in the market for envelope followers for sure!

• The problem with MIDI triggerable effects is that they’re not supported (or even listed) in Garageband. By making a Music Effect plugin you’re effectively excluding all Garageband owners and minimizing your chances of being featured by Apple :#

• @brambos said:
    The problem with MIDI triggerable effects is that they’re not supported (or even listed) in Garageband. By making a Music Effect plugin you’re effectively excluding all Garageband owners and minimizing your chances of being featured by Apple :#

Huh? That must be considered a bug in Garageband, I'd say.

• edited April 2018

@j_liljedahl said:

@brambos said:
    The problem with MIDI triggerable effects is that they’re not supported (or even listed) in Garageband. By making a Music Effect plugin you’re effectively excluding all Garageband owners and minimizing your chances of being featured by Apple :#

Not sure. There's no way to route MIDI into an effect in GB as far as I know so it could very well be an intentional omission (someone please correct me if I'm wrong).

It's one of the main reasons why Kosmonaut is not a Music Effect (because it supports MIDI input just fine).

• @brambos said:

Well that’s a bummer. That’s kinda why I brought up your name 😉 and the amazing Rozeta suite. Seems that an almost exact replica of Rozeta LFO but with ADSR envelopes instead would be perfect. It would need a mode different to LFO that would play the entire envelope with a Note ON trigger.

Another simpler option that would get close, would be to add that mode to LFO, to play the whole cycle with a single Note ON, without having to hold the note. Then using a ramp up, it could kinda be done.

• @brambos said:

@j_liljedahl said:

@brambos said:

Not sure. There's no way to route MIDI into an effect in GB as far as I know so it could very well be an intentional omission (someone please correct me if I'm wrong).

It's one of the main reasons why Kosmonaut is not a Music Effect (because it supports MIDI input just fine).

Well, you could simply expose two component descriptions (as a lot of IAA synths did in the beginnings of IAA, when some hosts only listed Generators and not Instruments), one Effect and one Music Effect. You would then be listed in Garageband but still have the benefits of MIDI controllable effects in more powerful hosts.

• @j_liljedahl said:
    I think the right way to do this would be to have a MIDI-triggable VCA-with-envelope AU fx plugin. It could have both ducking and gating modes, with attack/release settings, etc.

You sparked an idea in me, so I tried to use Audio Damage Filter Station in VCA mode. I thought maybe the Envelope would work but then I found there is no way to trigger it externally. I actually got decent results assigning MIDI Ctrl to the Envelope Amount but it basically just makes a quick volume drop vithout Attack or release. Wonder if @Chris_Randall could add the sidechain ability like the Mac version has?

Maybe there’s a parameter in FAC Transient that could be triggered to a specific value by a MIDI note that would create the sidechain effect? I don’t have the plugin so can’t try now. I tried controlling the Sensitivity in Roughrider but the Release value was ignored cause the Sensitivy returned 0 so quickly.

• @soundshaper said:
    Perhaps @brambos would consider adding an Envelope designer plugin to Rozeta that could fire off just from a quick MIDI trigger signal? 😉 It would be amazing if I could pull this off.

Would be great to have an envelope. Even better if all the Ripplemaker modules were available as a separate suite of separate modules.

• edited April 2018

Yes, an envelope MIDI AU is all that is needed, especially if its amplitude could respond to velocity. Then we could creatively “duck” things using cool effects rather than just volume. How cool would it be to have your pad sound get bitcrushed or filtered when the kick drum is hit?

• Here’s an Audulus patch where the basic idea is to have a synth that takes on the rhythmic character of the drums using audio and MIDI. You could use an audio only drum track for this effect.

The Note Beat Audulus 3 patch is an effect that takes audio input and uses it to trigger oscillators with MIDI note input. Send up to 4 voice MIDI into Note Beat and route audio into it. Control the timbre of the output by adjusting the envelope and using the ladder (Moog) low pass filters. Designed for keyboard tracking.

The Audulus patch is getting input from the drum synth Vatanator and both apps are getting MIDI from Rozeta Rhythm. The 8 oscillators in Audulus are triggered by a combination of the MIDI triggers and the drum audio input along with shaping from the envelopes in Audulus so you get more than just basic square, saw, or sin waves. The Audulus patch uses 4 note polyphony with 4 oscillators dedicated to each of the two stereo channels. There are also low pass ladder filters in the patch to shape the sound further.