Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

20 politically incorrect songs that'd be wildly controversial today

Comments

• "Have a drink, have a drive, go out and see what you can find."

Turning Japanese has some interesting theories about it's meaning, the more sexual ones are misguided according to the band.

• It must be hard for people who live in a world where almost everything is an affront to their sensitivities...we should probably ban both art and history. :neutral:

• What?
    No Come On Eileen?!

• I always thought Brown Sugar was a little questionable, but it's great tune nonetheless. Same for Under My Thumb.

They made the wrong call on Money For Nothing though, because the song is told from the point of view of the delivery men, so they're the ones talking about "faggots", not Mark Knopfler, it's dialogue and tone of voice.

Also Walk On The Wild Side is just telling a story, it's not trans-phobic at all. Lou Reed was bisexual and had relationships with transgender men/women.

Anyway it just goes to show that trying to police artistic output with no sense of context or nuance is likely to result in semi-authoritarian idiocy.

• Nice 'N' Sleazy - The Stranglers

• @knewspeak said:
    Nice 'N' Sleazy - The Stranglers

Almost anything by The Stranglers. Including the name of the band!

• @richardyot said:

@knewspeak said:
    Nice 'N' Sleazy - The Stranglers

Almost anything by The Stranglers. Including the name of the band!

:) :D

• Surely, the worst has to be the distinctly pervy possibly paedo apparently innocent babysitter lyric -

‘Clair’ by Gilbert O’Sulivan

Words mean so little when you look up and smile
    I don't care what people say, to me you're more than a child

https://youtu.be/sU9fClvdo5s

• Single version:
    I'm just mad about fourteen
    Fourteen's mad about me

Live version (Donovan in Concert, recorded Anaheim 1967):
    I'm just mad about fourteen-year-old girls
    They're mad about me

• @richardyot said:
    I always thought Brown Sugar was a little questionable, but it's great tune nonetheless. Same for Under My Thumb.

They made the wrong call on Money For Nothing though, because the song is told from the point of view of the delivery men, so they're the ones talking about "faggots", not Mark Knopfler, it's dialogue and tone of voice.

Also Walk On The Wild Side is just telling a story, it's not trans-phobic at all. Lou Reed was bisexual and had relationships with transgender men/women.

Anyway it just goes to show that trying to police artistic output with no sense of context or nuance is likely to result in semi-authoritarian idiocy.

richard, I agree with your assessment of all of these great songs. While the lyrics of Brown Sugar are audacious, and possibly appalling, they do make for the rockingest history lesson ever committed to tape.

• edited April 2018

Not offended by it, but always thought it odd given the man’s image, etc, that Elvis Presley recorded what, today, would be seen as a gay love song.

Number forty-seven said to number three:
    "You're the cutest jailbird I ever did see.
    I sure would be delighted with your company,
    Come on and do the Jailhouse Rock with me."

• Jailhouse Rock
  • Well, I'd rather my man would hit me
    Than for him to jump up and quit me
    Ain't nobody's business if I do
    I swear I won't call no copper
    if I'm beat up by my papa
    Ain't nobody's business if I do

• @Zen210507 said:
    Not offended by it, but always thought it odd given the man’s image, etc, that Elvis Presley recorded what, today, would be seen as a gay love song.

Number forty-seven said to number three:
    "You're the cutest jailbird I ever did see.
    I sure would be delighted with your company,
    Come on and do the Jailhouse Rock with me."

• Jailhouse Rock

Both the song and movie are incredibly subversive!

• @Masanga said:
    Single version:
    Fourteen's mad about me

Isn’t that about Lori Maddox, the 14 year-old groupie who also entertained Jimmy Page and David Bowie?

• So in essence it's better to do 100% instrumental music since all words can potentially get offensive over time...

• @Samu said:
    So in essence it's better to do 100% instrumental music since all words can potentially get offensive over time...

Yeah, I think that's exactly the lesson here.

• @ExAsperis99 said:

@Samu said:
    So in essence it's better to do 100% instrumental music since all words can potentially get offensive over time...

Yeah, I think that's exactly the lesson here.

I have always been impressed that some municipalities banned Link Wray's "Rumble"
    That is truly badass when your instrumental is considered to be a threat to public decency and order!

• @Samu said:

+100 :)

• @Samu said:

>

As the lyricist, I can honestly say I couldn’t give a monkey’s. :) Pun intended.

John Lydon said it best - “If you are pissing people off, you know you are doing something right.

• Randy Neuman - Short People

• Just wondering where the next 'Frank Zappa' is hiding and would the current PK-World be able to handle that without going berserk?

• @Coloobar said:
    Randy Neuman - Short People

>

Love that, and I’m under 6ft. Anyone who is offended hasn’t heard the bridge.

• Fuck off - Wayne County & The Electric Chairs.

Not the offensive title but the lyrics to the song.

Screw Ya - The Depressions.

Same comment as above applies.

• What happened to “Every Breath You Take?”

• edited April 2018

This article is just shoddy journalism at best. Reality - it’s simply two privileged White SJWs nitpicking and looking for “problematic content” while totally missing the point. For instance, did they know that “Do They Know It’s Christmas?” is NOT “insulting an entire continent” but rather was describing the Ethiopian Famine in order to raise the money to donate? How the hell would the Band Aid choir expect to raise money and make the narrow-minded White folks of the pre-internet day and age care about the issues IF THEY DON’T POINT OUT THE DAMN PROBLEM IN THE FIRST PLACE NOR CRAFT LYRICS TO EVOKE SAID SYMPATHY?!? Remember, CONTEXT MATTERS!

Did they know “Rape Me” was actually an anti-rape protest song? https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rape_Me (scroll to “Meaning, composition and lyrics”) and the original article the quote came from, although it’s buried in there (no pun intended). https://www.spin.com/2013/09/nirvana-cover-story-1993-smashing-their-heads-on-the-punk-rock/ “We get it. Kurt Cobain was a deeply tortured soul. He probably, in retrospect, could’ve expressed this one better.” First of all, way to be ableist by cheapening/grossly simplifying Kurt Cobain’s very real mental health issues, cheapening his artistry, and indirectly belittling his suicide. Secondly, Kurt Cobain was a feminist and championed LGBT rights. The sanctimonious privileged SJWs who wrote this article need to get their heads pulled out of their arses, because guess what....CONTEXT MATTERS!

“Illegal Alien” - “But the racist video puts the song in a whole different light, with stereotypical imagery of mariachi horns, ponchos, sombreros and oversize mustaches.” First of all, it’s called a “sarape”, not a “poncho” you utter ignorant privileged twats. Second of all, GENESIS WANTED TO HELP PEOPLE OF THE DAY AND AGE UNDERSTAND THE STRUGGLES OF UNDOCUMENTED IMMIGRANTS IN A PRE-INTERNET ERA!!! I guess the message of the song didn’t exactly sink in proven by who’s currently in the oval office, but at least Genesis tried. They used imagery that was familiar to the White populace back then to help broaden their minds. CONTEXT MATTERS!

I’m honestly surprised Prodigy’s “Smack My Bitch Up” didn’t make the cut, because the lyrics basically consist of “Change my pitch up/Smack my bitch up” repeated ad nauseum. Sure, a “bitch” could be a guy too (and the surprise twist to the video revealed as much), but the title definitely has misogynistic undertones just the same. The song doesn’t lend itself to any deeper contexts either, so how did it not make their list?! :lol: Freakin mind-boggler!

Now this isn’t to say that all of the examples in the article are without their faults. “Ur So Gay” and “Picture to Burn” are definitely juvenile. But hey, if Pretty Privileged Polly and her male cowriter are looking for some TRULY offensive shit full of graphic misogyny, rape, homophobia, racism, torture and the whole nine yards from any White artists, have them check out Eminem, Die Antwoord, Insane Clown Posse, etc, and be sure you don’t mention that the lyrics aren’t meant to be taken on the nose. :smirk:

(I’m sorry for being so surly, but you don’t go demeaning earnest efforts to raise important humanitarian issues and helping people nor go belittling my hero Kurt Cobain while not even bothering to do REAL research and not expect me to be offended in return. :lol: Maybe they should concentrate on REAL issues, such as two innocent men of colour being unfairly arrested at a Starbucks in Philly when they did nothing wrong, rather than writing misinformed garbage about music and trying to sanitise every last aspect of entertainment so that all we’re left with is Post Malone garbage.)

• Memphis by Johnny Rivers, probably best known in Chuck Berry's version... >:)

Help me, information, more than that I cannot add
    Only that I miss her and all the fun we had
    Marie is only six years old, information please
    You got to put me through to her in Memphis Tennessee

• Unbelievably controversial :)

• edited April 2018

I will regret wading into the scrum at the call of the dog whistle, but....

You do realize that the most absurd calls of language policing are a response to an increasingly vocal culture of racism, emboldened by a president who finds "very fine people" among neo-Nazis? I am left-leaning, but I find most of the collegiate panic about micro-aggressions silly and not worth engaging. Well-meaning, maybe, but misguided.

True art will endure — "Short People," absolutely — but culture changes. Date rape was apparently hilarious in 1978, as it is basically the plot vehicle of what was my absolute favorite movie of the time, "Animal House." I still think it's brilliant, with one of the greatest acts of cinematic revenge ever. But it's just not able to escape some really gross ideas about women. I don't think I could watch it today, and I definitely wouldn't want my daughter to watch it. "Blazing Saddles" could NEVER be made to day, but I wonder if it doesn't escape its over-the-top racism.

• @Zen210507 said:

@Masanga said:
    Single version:
    Fourteen's mad about me

Isn’t that about Lori Maddox, the 14 year-old groupie who also entertained Jimmy Page and David Bowie?

Lori was seven years old in 1966, when Mellow Yellow was recorded. But she met Bowie on the scuzzy LA underage groupie scene that was still going seven years later.

• @Samu said:

I find it offensive that you could write such a flippant sentence about this subject
    :D