Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Navichord features poll

Comments

• @MarkH said:

@Navichord said:

@MarkH said:

I'm a manual junky but this app is one of the few apps i never felt the need to read a manual on... it is simple and straight forward.

Like everything, I expect it is simple and straightforward if you know what it is for and what it can do.

Hi @MarkH , can you explain what exactly is not clear? I'm starting the manual and I could focus on your items first

I am not going to give any comprehensive list of things that are not clear because that really misses the point. But when I buy an app or a gadget I expect to be able to find a bit of context telling me what it can do and what I might use it for. This is especially true of something like your app, since I'm trying to figure out how to make music and what I can use to do it.

You might argue that this isn't always necessary - for example, if I buy an acoustic guitar I'm unlikely to need a manual to explain what I might use it for. And at the other extreme, I should probably also not expect to receive a manual to teach me music theory and chord fingerings. Perhaps you take the position that your app is aimed at professionals and people who are completely music-literate, in which case you would probably not feel it was necessary to include such context. But that's one of the things I would value in a manual. Like, what might I actually sit down and do with Navichord? I have sort of gathered by now that it can be used to compose and/or to perform, but perhaps there are other uses too.

Moving on from that, I think a comprehensive account of what everything does is a basic requirement. I have lost count of apps and programs where I have tinkered for years and used a tiny subset of functions because there are hidden features or features that behave in non-intuitive ways. (And we need to acknowledge that 'intuition' varies from person to person, since it is really domain knowledge assimilated on a level below conscious thought.) Perhaps your app it so trivial that you don't consider this necessary, but I may not agree. 'Autoscale updates' means nothing to me and 'link chord voices' is mysterious. Likewise 'MIDI CC (chords)', the 'quantum' setting under Ableton link, and 'load chords only'. The function of some of the icons isn't explained either. There is a warning triangle that I have decided may be a MIDI panic button but it's hard to tell until I get a stuck MIDI note. I don't know what the little magic wand icon does - the intro says 'use autoscale to create matching melody' but I can't tell what this means.

Some of these things I can sort of guess at, but I think we deserve at least a concise description of each thing. In a good manual the description will elaborate to give some context, which can be educational in its own right. Okay, 'receive IAA clock' accidentally tells me something I didn't know before (IAA has a clock signal that can be passed around), but it tells me only in an approximate way. As I said above, there is a line to be drawn and you probably have some right to expect that I know something about MIDI to understand your MIDI options. But apps that fall on the useful side of that line get my respect.

So there you are. I'm not expecting you to answer these specifically here, but that's my view of what I value in a manual. And preferably as a PDF file.

(P.S. 'Latency' is mis-spelled on the Audio settings page :))

Thanks for sharing, I will try to cover these points in the manual.

• @Navichord said:
    Thanks for sharing, I will try to cover these points in the manual.

Okay, thanks.

• i just bought you app, thank you for making such a tool. I love music theory and I always love see the structure set out in a new formation.

• @[Deleted User] said:
    i just bought you app, thank you for making such a tool. I love music theory and I always love see the structure set out in a new formation.

Thanks @[Deleted User], I'm glad you like it! :)

• Hi Denis,

What is becoming more and more desirable - needed in fact - in NAVICHORD is a better preset-management scheme. Namely one that stores presets ( optionally? ) in folders on iCloud or dropbox - and where each preset is a file. Often with presets the business of naming and renaming becomes important as one adds many variants on an original - and maybe a scheme where the preset name is just the preset file-name would be best.

Being able to easily save and import presets makes workflow so much easier.

The reason for all this is is prompted by having many hours wasted/ frittered away - NOT in NC but in the editor OSX app for my Keith McMilen 12-step which is - basically .... fricking abysmal. But that off topic.
    But if you happen to own the 12-step - take a look at the OSX Editor - and learn how NOT to do a hardware editor that manages ( among other things... ) presets..

Anyway - keep up the good work. Looking forward to your next major release :)

• @nonchai said:
    Hi Denis,

What is becoming more and more desirable - needed in fact - in NAVICHORD is a better preset-management scheme. Namely one that stores presets ( optionally? ) in folders on iCloud or dropbox - and where each preset is a file. Often with presets the business of naming and renaming becomes important as one adds many variants on an original - and maybe a scheme where the preset name is just the preset file-name would be best.

Being able to easily save and import presets makes workflow so much easier.

The reason for all this is is prompted by having many hours wasted/ frittered away - NOT in NC but in the editor OSX app for my Keith McMilen 12-step which is - basically .... fricking abysmal. But that off topic.
    But if you happen to own the 12-step - take a look at the OSX Editor - and learn how NOT to do a hardware editor that manages ( among other things... ) presets..

Anyway - keep up the good work. Looking forward to your next major release :)

iCloud or other cloud integration would be good, also requested by other users.
    For now, you can manage presets manually - each user preset is a separate file accessible via iTunes File Sharing. It is possible to backup and transfer presets between the devices (requires manual copy-paste ;).

• edited August 2018

PS - I purchased ChordPolyPad this weekend in an impulse. I knew it wouldnt have many of the key features - like sequencing chord pads to tempo/Ableto link etc - but was guessing it would have signifiant feature advantages in other areas.
    One being cloud storage.

But I was wrong - since that for the most part seems about it. It has a very nice GUI but was surprised how it really wasn't up to the task and has no feature advantages in others.

The way one chooses chord types in NC is superior. The way one can manually graphically adjust chord voicing in NC is superior. having to scroll through that endlessly long single list of chord types and voicing variations in CPP shows pretty much ZERO consideration to how best to do this task.

In other areas the GUI is better - in many areas I like the way it looks ... but not adding any features. I feel the dialog/pane way in which all the settings options work in CPP is a lot of the tome more user-friendly than the side-slider modus operandi in which settings work in NC. But NC still has much more functionality. Just needs the settings GUI to be rethought a little.

MIDI MAPPING and control seemed very basic and fixed when compared to NC.

I did like the possibility of having 32 pads and having them ( or just 16 ) fill the whole screen. And it all looks very pretty.

And ( as I've often said before ) I like it totally doesnt have that chord-note-matrix plating system at all in it and showing on the right.. which many might appreciate but I simply never use.

maybe one day Denis will add an option to hide that stuff - and the keyboard at the bottom - which apart from maybe the occasional chord entry use - for me - is redundant.

But i'm surprised now i've owned it - just how much better Navichord is overall in ACTUAL FEATURES .. than ChordPolyPad.

Its also very clear that Navichord has been getting much more regular and significant updates to it.

Just my thoughts.

Keep it up Denis!

• I have both as well and always turn to Navichord for the ability to play the melody while song mode plays the chords. Awesome app!

• @nonchai said:
    But i'm surprised now i've owned it - just how much better Navichord is overall in ACTUAL FEATURES .. than ChordPolyPad.

Its also very clear that Navichord has been getting much more regular and significant updates to it.

@MusicMan4Christ said:
    I have both as well and always turn to Navichord for the ability to play the melody while song mode plays the chords. Awesome app!

Thank you guys, it means a lot! :)

• @Navichord you’re welcome! This app has given me so much in return for such little investment! Truly one of the ultimate Best Buy’s in the IOS music ecosystem! I highly recommend it to anyone that seriously makes music on IOS.

The ability to sync with Ableton Link and even disconnect from IAA auto play it’s awesome! Soooo many wonderful options under the hood!

• edited September 2018

REALLY NEEDED NOW:

1 ) in the SECTIONS view - a REPEAT WHOLE ARRANGEMENT button. Currently the repeat button only allows infinite repeating on section A or B etc. When not enabled A plays first then B - but then the playback ends. We need it to be able to repeat the whole thing when its come to the end.

2 ) in association with 1) - in the SECTIONS VIEW - the ability to specify how many times a section plays would be REALLY useful ( i've said this before but repeat it now since the more better NC gets the more I push it in every direction possibilities wise :) )

3 ) We need an option for MORE THAN 16 PADS! a GUI mode where the keyboard disappears and instead we show 16 more pads - would be really really great!

4 ) There doesnt appear to be any add9 or add2 chord in the list of chord options for Major and Minor.
    ( this isn't the same as Maj9 since very often we want a simple major with a 9 on top but WITHOUT the major 7th in the chord )

5 ) Ableton Link STOP-START support.

• edited September 2018

@Navichord : can you give us an idea of when the manual will be ready?
    @MarkH : Well stated

• @Telstar5 said:

Hi @Telstar5 , I can't give the exact date, but I can assure you this item is on top of my todo list.

• @nonchai said:
    REALLY NEEDED NOW:

1 ) in the SECTIONS view - a REPEAT WHOLE ARRANGEMENT button. Currently the repeat button only allows infinite repeating on section A or B etc. When not enabled A plays first then B - but then the playback ends. We need it to be able to repeat the whole thing when its come to the end.

2 ) in association with 1) - in the SECTIONS VIEW - the ability to specify how many times a section plays would be REALLY useful ( i've said this before but repeat it now since the more better NC gets the more I push it in every direction possibilities wise :) )

3 ) We need an option for MORE THAN 16 PADS! a GUI mode where the keyboard disappears and instead we show 16 more pads - would be really really great!

4 ) There doesnt appear to be any add9 or add2 chord in the list of chord options for Major and Minor.
    ( this isn't the same as Maj9 since very often we want a simple major with a 9 on top but WITHOUT the major 7th in the chord )

5 ) Ableton Link STOP-START support.

Thanks, noted.

• edited September 2018

An AU midi version of the app please :)

Extensive control of midi CC as well would be nice. Basically just a great AU midi controller with no internat sounds thanks.

The ability to send to different channels with splits and layering options would be nice too.

• Navichord:

`Are you struggling with chords for your track?
    Get inspired and start writing chords like a pro with Navichord. Navichord is a musical instrument and a songwriting tool making music theory a breeze.

Create lush chord progressions.
    Loop progressions in sync with other apps.
    Trigger chords from your MIDI footswitch.

Join thousands of happy producers all over the world. #1 music app in 23 countries.

"Excellent iOS chord and harmony exploration app."
    www.musicappblog.com

"Top iOS MIDI Performance App"
    http://www.musicappblog.com/top-music-apps-current-picks/

"Killer iOS Music App"
    https://www.pinterest.com/apptronica/killer-ios-music-apps/

FEATURES

• Play simple chords (minor, major) with one finger from any root
    • Play complex chords (sevenths, ninths) with just two or three fingers from any root
    • Play 28 musical scales from any key
    • Compose easily with Roman numeral chord names
    • Use the same chord shape for any root
    • Discover interesting chord progressions
    • Find chords matching a melody
    • Find a melody matching chords
    • Learn chord structure from the piano keyboard and play along
    • Quick save discovered chords to chord pads
    • Save chord progressions
    • Find chords matching selected scale

Ableton Link:
    • Loop progressions in sync with many apps supporting Ableton Link

Audiobus and Inter App Audio:
    • Record to GarageBand, Loopy, Beatmaker 2 and many more

MIDI support:
    • Connect to soft synths via virtual MIDI (Animoog, Thumbjam, Magellan, Sampletank and many more)
    • Connect to hardware synths and external keyboards
    • Send MIDI control messages from keys and pads
    `

• ChordPolyPad:

`"ChordPolyPad" is a MIDI chords player that allows you to create chord sets from a large internal library, from any combination of notes, or from chords generated randomly. Each set consists of 8 groups of 16 pads, or 2 groups of 64 pads.

In addition to play chords, each pad can generate customizable MIDI controls on its horizontal and vertical axis.

The application supports full internal and external MIDI connections for input and output, Audiobus MIDI sender, and MIDI filter routing. An internal sound bank is included.

Unlimited presets can be saved on a local device and synchronized to iCloud.

Features:

• 8 groups of 16 pads or 2 groups of 64 pads by preset (128 pads)
    • MIDI port and MIDI channel assignable for each pad
    • Customizable X/Y controller for each pad
    • Velocity assignable for each chord note
    • Strumming setup by pad
    • Copy and paste for pads and groups
    • Draggable chords directly from library
    • Searching for chords available in a defined scale
    • Random chords for instant inspiration
    • Multitasking
    • Internal sound bank
    • Receiving MIDI notes and control from external devices
    • Send MIDI to a virtual port that can be used as MIDI input by other "Core MIDI" compatible applications
    • Presets manager
    • "Program Change" support
    • Native iCloud support
    • "Files" application support
    • Full support of "Split View" and "Slide Over"
    • Undo/Redo

Supported MIDI connections:

• Virtual "Core MIDI" connections between applications
    • iOS compatible MIDI interface
    • MIDI over Wifi
    • MIDI over Bluetooth
    • Audiobus (MIDI, state saving)
    • Inter-App Audio (MIDI, audio, transport control)

Requirements:

An iPad or iPhone with iOS 8 or later

Documentation:

http://dev.laurentcolson.com/medias/ChordPolyPad/en/ChordPolyPad.pdf`

• Navichord is an instrument and a progression App.

ChordPolyPad is an instrument and a filter. You can convert note progressions into freely selectable chords. And it has quite some MIDI stuff not contained in Navichord.

• @Telstar5 said:

Hi @Telstar5 , here are some useful links while waiting for the proper users guide - https://sites.google.com/view/navichord/users-guide

• @Navichord said:

@Telstar5 said:

Hi @Telstar5 , here are some useful links while waiting for the proper users guide - https://sites.google.com/view/navichord/users-guide

Can Navichord Pro export a midi file?

• @SpookyZoo said:

There is no midi file export, but you can record midi into any DAW.

• edited October 2018

@Navichord said:

@SpookyZoo said:

Thanks for the swift response.

Any plans for midi file export?

I mean, the app seems to have ‘Song’ functionality, more than just a real time midi controller, so export of song as midi file would be what I’d be looking to buy it for.

• @SpookyZoo said:

@Navichord said:

@SpookyZoo said:

I mean, the app seems to have ‘Song’ functionality, more than just a real time midi controller, so export of song as midi file would be what I’d be looking to buy it for.

Long term plans exist, yes. I'd like to replace the MIDI engine with another framework, this would allow many new scenarios including MIDI rendering, arpeggiator and better maintenance. But that would only come in 2019.

• @Navichord said:

@SpookyZoo said:

@Navichord said:

@SpookyZoo said:

Long term plans exist, yes. I'd like to replace the MIDI engine with another framework, this would allow many new scenarios including MIDI rendering, arpeggiator and better maintenance. But that would only come in 2019.

Good stuff! :)

• edited October 2018

...way off the mark...(me)

• edited January 2019

I’d really like to be able to enter jazz-standard changes into NAVICHORD -

for this to be possible I really need two features added:

1 ) an option to have more than 16 pads / church changes in a single section-view.
    66 or 55 cells might be enough -

2 ) Ability to set section A to play N1 times and then automatically switch to section B and play N2 times and the flip back. Or In other words - section arranging and playback.

oooooh nearly forgot.

3 ) We really need to have the ability to save to iCloud and DropBox folders badly.

After these i’d be very content and happy and not really need much more.

except… maybe to have a mode that hides… .....and ,,, and

• edited January 2019

@Navichord said:

Great to see long term plans ... but .... for me - the above relatively simple requests to sequence between different sections automatically - and option for more pad cells in a single view would satisfy me for a long time - and greatly increase the amount of time and applications of which i would be using the great... NaviChord!!

And i could really do with these small changes soon :)

• @Navichord said:
    Thanks, noted.

oops - i appear to be repeating myself! sorry about my "groundhog-day" feature request syndrome !

• Really amazing app!

• Currently I have Navichord playing in Song Mode an awesome Chord progression into Rozeta Arp which Inturn is driving Model D! Sounds so beautiful!