GrooveRider: Finally gave it a serious go around..............

Wow.

Why have I not been using this for so long?

This guy is really a masterful programmer and musically minded artist when it comes to the style of music this is best for.

Right off the back I can say this is like the perfect Novation Circuit accompanying app.

Many times with the Circuit you need "a little more drums" here and there and a "piano chord" here or there or maybe some unique perc sounds that give the song its identity.

Well all of those things can be done with this app.

I used Patterning for this up until now with Elastic Drums as well.

But the ability to play keys and chords along with sequence samples is a great fit for me.

I am so stoked.

Let alone Jim packs this app with amazing samples. I imported samples from another unnamed app and you would be shocked how much better the sounds are from Jim rather than these IAP sounds I brought over. Like same sounds, 909 hat....yada yada.--------------
(don't ask what app, I don't trash apps like that). Point is the GR app is amazing quality.

Question:

How are you using Grooverider in your workflow?

Use question:

How do you clear all the part quickly? Say you want to use a factory template but want all the notes/sequence parts gone? I tried shift/clear/part but didn't work.

Anyone using this with a Launchpad Pro oR Launchcontrol XL?

I was thinking about seeing how those controllers work with it.

And MIDI channels, how are they done from init settings?

All on channel 1?

«1

Comments

  • I’m using it almost exclusively these days. Don’t really need much else besides sample fodder

    If you go into the utilities menu, there’s an option to “empty current pattern”.

  • It has been on my radar for a little while now and... you just broke me. Will report back with wide eyed ravings.

  • Oh and for midi it depends if you have selected Omni or Poly mode.

    In Omni mode, all incoming midi events are redirected to one currently Selected Part. So, the user can play and control only one Part, which is currently selected in the interface.
    In Poly mode, every Part receives data by its separate midi channel from 16 available, with corresponding number.

  • You can have 16 midi tracks set up as a template in Cubasis and controller each from GR16! This thing is awesome!

  • I've been having equal fun using the internal synth and sampling capabilities, and as a controller for AUM. It can even sequence a Beatmaker bank. Initially I didn't jive with the sample slicing method, but I've learned to enjoy the simplified approach that uses knobs. I will pitch up a sample in another app and resample to get around the 16-second time limit.

    I am hopeful for CC out at the very least. My dream would be a future version of the app which acts as a host for AU and IAA, and maybe some more refined in-house sampler functionality. It's pretty near perfect as is, though.

  • @bcrichards said:
    I've been having equal fun using the internal synth and sampling capabilities, and as a controller for AUM. It can even sequence a Beatmaker bank. Initially I didn't jive with the sample slicing method, but I've learned to enjoy the simplified approach that uses knobs. I will pitch up a sample in another app and resample to get around the 16-second time limit.

    I am hopeful for CC out at the very least. My dream would be a future version of the app which acts as a host for AU and IAA, and maybe some more refined in-house sampler functionality. It's pretty near perfect as is, though.

    +1 for future version that hosts AU. That's the missing link for me in ios. A self-contained performance sequencer + AU host with trig conditions, parameter locks and interesting sequencer functions. Would = goodbye to a chunk of my hardware....

    If GR-16 (or maybe even Quantum could develop this way in time?) mkii appears I'll be all over it. Its good as it is. But I find it hard to get excited by the onboard synth/fx/modulation compared to other ios options. And browsing/importing samples can feel slow compared to something like BeatMaker 3.

  • Agreed that Circuit and Electribe are a great partnership....I use a hardware Electribe sampler alongside my Circuit.

    Some of the tricks that this app employs would be well received on the hardware unit for sure (which isn't without it's flaws).

  • This app is a must-have, as in I must have it. Why the heck don’t I have this? It is pretty much all glowing reviews, with a few “I don’t get it” reviews. But it seems to have generated an army of satisfied customers, so I really should get this one.
    I mean, if @RUST( i )K is hyped on this, what more do I need? :)

  • edited April 16

    Damn. Skipping meals today (and maybe tomorrow) to save enough to buy this (tongue in cheek).... It looks reeeeeeaaally good. AND... The manual was right there up front the way I like it. I'm reading it now to make sure I'm not salivating for nothing... I have a question though... With all the apps I purchase, why am I not skinny?

  • @CracklePot said:
    This app is a must-have, as in I must have it. Why the heck don’t I have this? It is pretty much all glowing reviews, with a few “I don’t get it” reviews. But it seems to have generated an army of satisfied customers, so I really should get this one.
    I mean, if @RUST( i )K is hyped on this, what more do I need? :)

    It’s awesome for sure. Complete workstation for me. I’m not a fan of traditional daws.

  • The absolute best - I owned the electribe sampler 2 but sold it to fund other gear. Now I have pretty much the same but with an inbuilt speaker! Not only that, it’s an actual monster through the speakers of my work van on my lunch break! Super simple to use, can have a full acid house thing going on in minutes. Worth 10x the price!

  • @AudioGus said:
    It has been on my radar for a little while now and... you just broke me. Will report back with wide eyed ravings.

    Broke you?

    We didn't even have dinner ?

  • @MusicMan4Christ said:
    You can have 16 midi tracks set up as a template in Cubasis and controller each from GR16! This thing is awesome!

    Cool idea.

    BTW: for church what organ/electric piano app you use?

  • @slowmotionblues said:
    The absolute best - I owned the electribe sampler 2 but sold it to fund other gear. Now I have pretty much the same but with an inbuilt speaker! Not only that, it’s an actual monster through the speakers of my work van on my lunch break! Super simple to use, can have a full acid house thing going on in minutes. Worth 10x the price!

    No doubt

    So no eletribe?

    What hardware you use with iOS?

  • @db909 said:

    @CracklePot said:
    This app is a must-have, as in I must have it. Why the heck don’t I have this? It is pretty much all glowing reviews, with a few “I don’t get it” reviews. But it seems to have generated an army of satisfied customers, so I really should get this one.
    I mean, if @RUST( i )K is hyped on this, what more do I need? :)

    It’s awesome for sure. Complete workstation for me. I’m not a fan of traditional daws.

    You and I both

    HATE HATE HATE them

    I am a performance based type artist.

    Line by line, loop points...blah blah blah.

    Crimps my creativity

  • @motmeister said:
    Damn. Skipping meals today (and maybe tomorrow) to save enough to buy this (tongue in cheek).... It looks reeeeeeaaally good. AND... The manual was right there up front the way I like it. I'm reading it now to make sure I'm not salivating for nothing... I have a question though... With all the apps I purchase, why am I not skinny?

    Too many bytes.

    "rimshot"

  • @BiancaNeve said:
    Oh and for midi it depends if you have selected Omni or Poly mode.

    In Omni mode, all incoming midi events are redirected to one currently Selected Part. So, the user can play and control only one Part, which is currently selected in the interface.
    In Poly mode, every Part receives data by its separate midi channel from 16 available, with corresponding number.

    Thanks B

  • edited April 16

    @db909 said:

    @CracklePot said:
    This app is a must-have, as in I must have it. Why the heck don’t I have this? It is pretty much all glowing reviews, with a few “I don’t get it” reviews. But it seems to have generated an army of satisfied customers, so I really should get this one.
    I mean, if @RUST( i )K is hyped on this, what more do I need? :)

    It’s awesome for sure. Complete workstation for me. I’m not a fan of traditional daws.

    Indeed awesome, outstanding in a tough crowd of grooveboxes...(just considering those that offer both synthesis and user samples, there is the formidable Elastic Drums, Strokemachine, Attack Drums... And now the phenomenal GR 16, man we are spoiled)

  • @RUST( i )K said:

    @AudioGus said:
    It has been on my radar for a little while now and... you just broke me. Will report back with wide eyed ravings.

    Broke you?

    We didn't even have dinner ?

    It was them sexy guns...

  • @MusicMan4Christ said:
    You can have 16 midi tracks set up as a template in Cubasis and controller each from GR16! This thing is awesome!

    Indeed :sunglasses:

  • Is there any updated video showing new features ? ( I saw that there many updates since first launch)

  • @Korakios said:
    Is there any updated video showing new features ? ( I saw that there many updates since first launch)

    I don't think so

    Since all the new features and commands me think updated tutorial would be helpful

  • @RUST( i )K said:

    @Korakios said:
    Is there any updated video showing new features ? ( I saw that there many updates since first launch)

    I don't think so

    Since all the new features and commands me think updated tutorial would be helpful

    Yeah there’s a weird lack of current videos. The manual however has always been updated and I’d recommend it. Answered all my questions. Being that this app is a Swiss Army knife though, I find myself not even using all it has available and still having a blast. Which is amazing because the interface is so streamlined. I think the biggest thing though, aside from all the midi and export functions updates is the stereo delay in the part settings. That one thing really opened the whole thing up in terms of the types of mixes you can get. Before it was just mono samples being panned with fx, now i almost wish every daw had a simple haas delay knob on every track.

  • @AudioGus said:

    @RUST( i )K said:

    @AudioGus said:
    It has been on my radar for a little while now and... you just broke me. Will report back with wide eyed ravings.

    Broke you?

    We didn't even have dinner ?

    It was them sexy guns...

    LOL

    All show no go.....

  • How do you clear out all 4 sequences?

    I know someone told me but can't find it

    (yes brain not working)

  • Messed around with it at lunch a bit.
    Decided to throw a Nina Simone vocal into it and chop it. Man it sounds nice.
    Too bad I had to split the vocal first because of the sample length restriction :(
    Luckily I have Samplist just perfect for that :D

  • @alecsbuga said:
    Messed around with it at lunch a bit.
    Decided to throw a Nina Simone vocal into it and chop it. Man it sounds nice.
    Too bad I had to split the vocal first because of the sample length restriction :(
    Luckily I have Samplist just perfect for that :D

    Lucky, indeed! :)
    Wish I was awesome enough to build my own tools, too. B)

  • @RUST( i )K said:
    How do you clear out all 4 sequences?

    I know someone told me but can't find it

    (yes brain not working)

    Shift plus clear covers most of all that type stuff. For clearing all sequences on all parts, there’s an “empty current pattern” in the utilities menu

  • @db909 said:

    @RUST( i )K said:
    How do you clear out all 4 sequences?

    I know someone told me but can't find it

    (yes brain not working)

    Shift plus clear covers most of all that type stuff. For clearing all sequences on all parts, there’s an “empty current pattern” in the utilities menu

    Thank you my friend.

    I am really digging this app and starting to be very pleased with what I am making.

    Music forthcoming.

Sign In or Register to comment.