Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Mono modes in synths...

So while i was jamming a lot with my Seaboard Rise today with different synths on mac and iOS to see which are great to perform with velocity, modwheel and other performance things i stumbled over the differences in mono retrigger as well as legato mode.
It seems there are 2 kind of mono retrigger f.e.
If i have a preset which f.e. has velocity assigned to filter and/or volume and i hit the first note with a value of 20 or so it is of course low in volume and dark and when i hold the note and trigger the next with f.e. 110 it is loud and the filter open.
Now if i release the second note most synths retrigger the first with the value of 20 instead to hold the latest velocity.
But some synths do always retrigger with the latest value. I find both useful for certain things but i didn´t saw any synth yet to support both these modes. Some also have the same differences in legato mode but also doesn´t offer both.
So i have to use different synths if i want the both options.
Anyone know of a synth which does both? Which do you prefer?

Comments

• edited April 2018

Virus c has multi-trigger, multi-trigger legato-glide, single trigger, single trigger legato-glide and ofc poly

• @ToMess said:
    Virus c has multi-trigger, multi-trigger legato-glide, single trigger, single trigger legato-glide and ofc poly

PPG Infinite might have some of these options as well....have to revisit.
    But i wonder in general now why there are not more options in most synths.
    A "musical" synth should have them all, especially in software :)

• Personally I hate it when mono synths don't retrigger the attack with legato playing. If you have a sound with a slow attack, and legato playing turns it into a fast attack, you completely lose the vibe that you're trying create. Playing a cello legato doesn't turn it into a glockenspiel, the slow attack of the bow is preserved.

Sometimes you can cheat it by activating polyphonic mode to preserve the slow attack (Zeeon For example), but then of course you lose the mono sound.

• edited April 2018

@richardyot said:
    Personally I hate it when mono synths don't retrigger the attack with legato playing. If you have a sound with a slow attack, and legato playing turns it into a fast attack, you completely lose the vibe that you're trying create. Playing a cello legato doesn't turn it into a glockenspiel, the slow attack of the bow is preserved.

Sometimes you can cheat it by activating polyphonic mode to preserve the slow attack (Zeeon For example), but then of course you lose the mono sound.

Yep, there are different situations where i would like to have different options.
    I really felt in love with "mono" and synths in the last few days.
    Mono synths can do some really nice performance things. F.e. i love Repro-1. I think it´s the best mono synth ever created in software. I really love that you can play mono lines but can also trigger an arp if you hold more than one keys. It also has a repeat mode and a drone mode.
    Like the hardware the Pro-One it might be maybe the most versatile mono synth ever if you explore what options and performance you can get out of a single voice.
    I might prefer the Moog Model D for some specific bass sounds but otherwise the Repro (or Pro-One) is the much more interesting mono synth. The octave cat looks also interesting.
    Because of that i think iOS could need more proper mono synths which focus on one powerful voice....hello Dagger!

• @Cib said:

@ToMess said:

PPG Infinite might have some of these options as well....have to revisit.
    But i wonder in general now why there are not more options in most synths.
    A "musical" synth should have them all, especially in software :)

Agreed. Also a feature that I’m finding absent from a lot of synths—desktop as well as iOS—is the ability to change portamento dynamics. For example a linear vs. exponential curve to the glide rate. Shifting this dynamic can have a huge effect on how particular sounds are played. I’ve yet to encounter an iOS synth that offers control on this parameter. Any suggestions...I’m all ears.