Best Stylus for an iPad?

hey all,

I'm sure this has been discussed in other, larger threads about more general topics, but:

I'm planning on getting an iPad and using Notability for note taking in vet school, so I can scribble directly onto the powerpoint/given notes. I also like the feature of being able to see my notes appear, in real time, when I listen to the lecture, if I've opted to record it.

However, I'm wonder what folks' opinions are of various styli? What stylus do you love and which ones should be avoided? I'd rather spend a little more, now, for a stylus that will last a while and works well, but I want to make sure that's what I'm getting if I opt for a pricier item. The names I've heard most often are the "Meko" stylus and I thoroughly read the rating of Amazon rank is 4.3 star, so it is so nice. And you can get a coupon code.

What has your experience been?

«1

Comments

  • edited April 13

    @boblock said:
    hey all,

    I'm sure this has been discussed in other, larger threads about more general topics, but:

    I'm planning on getting an iPad and using Notability for note taking in vet school, so I can scribble directly onto the powerpoint/given notes. I also like the feature of being able to see my notes appear, in real time, when I listen to the lecture, if I've opted to record it.

    However, I'm wonder what folks' opinions are of various styli? What stylus do you love and which ones should be avoided? I'd rather spend a little more, now, for a stylus that will last a while and works well, but I want to make sure that's what I'm getting if I opt for a pricier item. The names I've heard most often are the "Meko" stylus and I thoroughly read the rating of Amazon rank is 4.3 star, so it is so nice. And you can get a coupon code.

    What has your experience been?

    If you’re getting an iPad Pro, the Apple Pencil is the way to go. Works great with notability. I struggled for years to find an acceptable stylus for handwriting until I got one a few months back. It really changed my habits and got me back to songwriting and writing again on the regular.

    If you’re not getting a pro, sorry. I haven’t tested any others in a while, especially the Meko one you’re talking about.

  • A second thumbs-up for the Apple Pencil, if you’re getting a Pro. It’s just a seamless experience in the apps I use it for (ProCreate, Affinity Photo). I don’t own any other styluses, but I know from the app forums I visit, that ‘seamless’ is not the word I see popping up for many of the alternatives. (Of course, there’s new stuff arriving all the time, so maybe the ‘early generation’ kinks are getting worked out?)

  • The Meko is good, I use it with GoodNotes. I had an adonit jot touch but the hard tip is not too nice to the screen protector, and therefore scared me about the screen. However, the adonit broke. I also have the 53 pencil, which I think is horrendous, and another Bluetooth one that I can’t remember the name of but it’s $10 on Amazon now.

    I use the mesh tip of the Meko rather than the fine point disc and I like that best. Bluetooth used to disconnect a lot and letters would disappear after I wrote them.

    I did try Apple Pencil a few weeks ago on a friend’s iPad Pro and it was very nice.

  • @oat_phipps said:

    @boblock said:
    hey all,

    I'm sure this has been discussed in other, larger threads about more general topics, but:

    I'm planning on getting an iPad and using Notability for note taking in vet school, so I can scribble directly onto the powerpoint/given notes. I also like the feature of being able to see my notes appear, in real time, when I listen to the lecture, if I've opted to record it.

    However, I'm wonder what folks' opinions are of various styli? What stylus do you love and which ones should be avoided? I'd rather spend a little more, now, for a stylus that will last a while and works well, but I want to make sure that's what I'm getting if I opt for a pricier item. The names I've heard most often are the "Meko" stylus and I thoroughly read the rating of Amazon rank is 4.3 star, so it is so nice. And you can get a coupon code.

    What has your experience been?

    If you’re getting an iPad Pro, the Apple Pencil is the way to go. Works great with notability. I struggled for years to find an acceptable stylus for handwriting until I got one a few months back. It really changed my habits and got me back to songwriting and writing again on the regular.

    If you’re not getting a pro, sorry. I haven’t tested any others in a while, especially the Meko one you’re talking about.

    hi,
    thanks for your idea and suggestion. That seems acceptable.
    I also consider trying Apple pencil as the stylus, but I hesitate, because the price of Apple Pencil is too high above my budget. I am just a student in college, so I can not afford it.
    On the other hand, I notice that Apple Pencil can only be used on ipad while it can not be used on iphone or other electrical devices.
    Any other availability for passive stylus ?
    many thanks

  • @Tovokas said:
    A second thumbs-up for the Apple Pencil, if you’re getting a Pro. It’s just a seamless experience in the apps I use it for (ProCreate, Affinity Photo). I don’t own any other styluses, but I know from the app forums I visit, that ‘seamless’ is not the word I see popping up for many of the alternatives. (Of course, there’s new stuff arriving all the time, so maybe the ‘early generation’ kinks are getting worked out?)

    hi,
    thanks for your ideas. I think Apple pencil is suitable for these businessmen not for poor students. And I used the apple pencil on trail at a retailing shop for free and I found it is too heavy. I would like small one.
    any other suggestions ?
    many thanks

  • @mrufino1 said:
    The Meko is good, I use it with GoodNotes. I had an adonit jot touch but the hard tip is not too nice to the screen protector, and therefore scared me about the screen. However, the adonit broke. I also have the 53 pencil, which I think is horrendous, and another Bluetooth one that I can’t remember the name of but it’s $10 on Amazon now.

    I use the mesh tip of the Meko rather than the fine point disc and I like that best. Bluetooth used to disconnect a lot and letters would disappear after I wrote them.

    I did try Apple Pencil a few weeks ago on a friend’s iPad Pro and it was very nice.

    hi man,
    thanks for the appreciation. Now what stylus are you using ? Have you dealt with this situation ?
    many thanks

  • edited April 13

    Last time this came up, the ‘winner’ as far as the OP was concerned, was the one I am using right now, this:

  • if the Apple pencil is too expensive, I would take a look at the qrayon, as it seems to be officially supported and recommended by Apple, and is probably optimized for writing which is what you want (rather than optimized for skethcing and painting). but they‘re still 50 $.

    I would avoid any other bluetooth styli, as typically their support gets dropped after a while (I have had two really expensive ones that are both no longer or only partially supported)

    Wacom has some inexpensive ones with rubbery tip that are rather good for the price and very small and light — maybe an option for your budget. they‘re between 10 and 20 $

  • @Zen210507 said:
    Last time this came up, the ‘winner’ as far as the OP was concerned, was the one I am using right now, this:

    hi,
    thanks for your sharing. The total price is high above my expectations. How does it feel after working ?

  • @Zen210507 said:
    Last time this came up, the ‘winner’ as far as the OP was concerned, was the one I am using right now, this:

    Yep,this was my choice and I still highly recommend it

  • edited April 13

    @boblock said:
    thanks for your sharing. The total price is high above my expectations. How does it feel after working ?

    >

    For a good quality stylus, this set is quite reasonably priced. The different swappable tips, and replacements provided as part of package, are long lasting. I bought ours as a 2 pack. Mrs Zen prefer the precision of the disc tip, whereas I most often use the fibre tip. Unlike the rubber tipped styli, these do not leave a nasty residue on your screen. The biro tip in the other end of the stylus also comes in useful.

  • Me I have Wacom Fineline 3, and it suits me well on Procreate or compatible apps. However , not tested for taking notes.

  • edited April 13

    @boblock said:

    @mrufino1 said:
    The Meko is good, I use it with GoodNotes. I had an adonit jot touch but the hard tip is not too nice to the screen protector, and therefore scared me about the screen. However, the adonit broke. I also have the 53 pencil, which I think is horrendous, and another Bluetooth one that I can’t remember the name of but it’s $10 on Amazon now.

    I use the mesh tip of the Meko rather than the fine point disc and I like that best. Bluetooth used to disconnect a lot and letters would disappear after I wrote them.

    I did try Apple Pencil a few weeks ago on a friend’s iPad Pro and it was very nice.

    hi man,
    thanks for the appreciation. Now what stylus are you using ? Have you dealt with this situation ?
    many thanks

    I was tired when I posted, sorry I wasn’t clear! I use the Meko stylus (I think we’re talking about the same one)- I got a 2 pack for about $12 on Amazon. One side has the fine point disc, the other has a grey mesh tip.

    MEKO Universal Stylus Pen,[ 2 in 1 Precision Series)Disc Stylus Touch Screen Pen for all Capacitive Touch Screens Cell phones, tablets, Laptops Bundle with 6 Replacement Tips (2 Pcs ,Black/Silver) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01E0LHE26/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_KOj0Ab5J1KRKJ

    Check out goodnotes as well, I prefer that to notability. The zoom box for straight note taking is the best one in any of the apps I think, and I’ve tried a ton. It can also turn handwriting into typed text, although I don’t do that too often. I’m a social worker and I write all of my case notes in goodnotes.

  • Well hell, I may have to get me a stylus now. I didn’t realize good ones were so cheap now, or that there were many options beyond Pencil or the cheapo styluses at the check out stands.

  • @boblock said:

    @Zen210507 said:
    Last time this came up, the ‘winner’ as far as the OP was concerned, was the one I am using right now, this:

    hi,
    thanks for your sharing. The total price is high above my expectations. How does it feel after working ?

    If you're that skint, why don't you try making your own from household materials? It's not rocket science. YouTube it up.

  • @Zen210507 said:
    Last time this came up, the ‘winner’ as far as the OP was concerned, was the one I am using right now, this:

    This is what I went with after the last thread and I dig it - been using it exclusively since. Highly recommended as an inexpensive option.

  • @dvlmusic said:
    This is what I went with after the last thread and I dig it - been using it exclusively since. Highly recommended as an inexpensive option.

    >

    Glad it works for you as well as it does for me. :)

  • @Zen210507 said:

    @dvlmusic said:
    This is what I went with after the last thread and I dig it - been using it exclusively since. Highly recommended as an inexpensive option.

    >

    Glad it works for you as well as it does for me. :)

    That’s the one I’m eyballin’ as well.

  • So which one works better on an iPhone X, the MEKO or The Friendly Swede? How about iPad Pros? And lastly, do these work well with the painting functions in apps like Procreate or ArtRage?

  • edited April 14

    @gkillmaster said:
    So which one works better on an iPhone X, the MEKO or The Friendly Swede? How about iPad Pros? And lastly, do these work well with the painting functions in apps like Procreate or ArtRage?

    >

    I am using my Friendky Swede on an iPad Pro. Various tips work as you’d expect them to.

    For art, only the Apple Pencil has certain advantages. But then it is hideously expensive and needs to be charged from the lightning port.

  • edited April 14

    @CracklePot said:
    That’s the one I’m eyballin’ as well.

    >

    I have the Silver model, with a black rubber band where you need to grip. Very comfortable to use.

  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I've used a bunch. I was hoping a cheaper model would suffice. I found that to not be the case. I opted for a used Apple Pencil. Got it for $70 on eBay. I think you can get it for $85 refurbished on Apple's site.

  • @Zen210507 said:
    Last time this came up, the ‘winner’ as far as the OP was concerned, was the one I am using right now, this:

    Hi Friend,
    I don't know why you recommend this stylus ? Do you think what are the differences between this one and Apple Pencil ?
    many thanks

  • @nick said:
    if the Apple pencil is too expensive, I would take a look at the qrayon, as it seems to be officially supported and recommended by Apple, and is probably optimized for writing which is what you want (rather than optimized for skethcing and painting). but they‘re still 50 $.

    I would avoid any other bluetooth styli, as typically their support gets dropped after a while (I have had two really expensive ones that are both no longer or only partially supported)

    Wacom has some inexpensive ones with rubbery tip that are rather good for the price and very small and light — maybe an option for your budget. they‘re between 10 and 20 $

    Hi nick,
    thanks for your idea. I searched Wacom stylus on Amazon and found that this one by the link: Asin: B004VM0SE6 is not what I want or like as the tip of the stylus is too round so it is not easy to write or draw on ipad. Any other recommendations ?

  • @Zen210507 said:

    @boblock said:
    thanks for your sharing. The total price is high above my expectations. How does it feel after working ?

    >

    For a good quality stylus, this set is quite reasonably priced. The different swappable tips, and replacements provided as part of package, are long lasting. I bought ours as a 2 pack. Mrs Zen prefer the precision of the disc tip, whereas I most often use the fibre tip. Unlike the rubber tipped styli, these do not leave a nasty residue on your screen. The biro tip in the other end of the stylus also comes in useful.

    Hi Friend,
    ok, but I found a better than you all recommend on Amazon, that is Asin: B00N1BRWLA. I looked through all comments from them and this stylus gained 4.3 rating from customer(total: 5 star rating). Look at its tip of the stylus. It can be rotated upon your hands when writing or drawing. It is very easy to go. And the price is not high. As far as I am concerned, I think this one is better than those in the marketplace. That is what I personally think. What do you think ? I would like to listen to your ideas because I want to buy a better one at low price.

  • @shoutn95 said:
    Me I have Wacom Fineline 3, and it suits me well on Procreate or compatible apps. However , not tested for taking notes.

    Hi Friend,
    I searched Wacom Fineline 3 this brand on Amazon and i found it is very expensive so I can not afford that.
    On the other hand, they received the low reputation from customers, just 1.0 rating star(total: 5 star). So I guess it is not good. What do you think ?
    many thanks

  • @mrufino1 said:

    @boblock said:

    @mrufino1 said:
    The Meko is good, I use it with GoodNotes. I had an adonit jot touch but the hard tip is not too nice to the screen protector, and therefore scared me about the screen. However, the adonit broke. I also have the 53 pencil, which I think is horrendous, and another Bluetooth one that I can’t remember the name of but it’s $10 on Amazon now.

    I use the mesh tip of the Meko rather than the fine point disc and I like that best. Bluetooth used to disconnect a lot and letters would disappear after I wrote them.

    I did try Apple Pencil a few weeks ago on a friend’s iPad Pro and it was very nice.

    hi man,
    thanks for the appreciation. Now what stylus are you using ? Have you dealt with this situation ?
    many thanks

    I was tired when I posted, sorry I wasn’t clear! I use the Meko stylus (I think we’re talking about the same one)- I got a 2 pack for about $12 on Amazon. One side has the fine point disc, the other has a grey mesh tip.

    MEKO Universal Stylus Pen,[ 2 in 1 Precision Series)Disc Stylus Touch Screen Pen for all Capacitive Touch Screens Cell phones, tablets, Laptops Bundle with 6 Replacement Tips (2 Pcs ,Black/Silver) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01E0LHE26/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_KOj0Ab5J1KRKJ

    Check out goodnotes as well, I prefer that to notability. The zoom box for straight note taking is the best one in any of the apps I think, and I’ve tried a ton. It can also turn handwriting into typed text, although I don’t do that too often. I’m a social worker and I write all of my case notes in goodnotes.

    @mrufino1 said:

    @boblock said:

    @mrufino1 said:
    The Meko is good, I use it with GoodNotes. I had an adonit jot touch but the hard tip is not too nice to the screen protector, and therefore scared me about the screen. However, the adonit broke. I also have the 53 pencil, which I think is horrendous, and another Bluetooth one that I can’t remember the name of but it’s $10 on Amazon now.

    I use the mesh tip of the Meko rather than the fine point disc and I like that best. Bluetooth used to disconnect a lot and letters would disappear after I wrote them.

    I did try Apple Pencil a few weeks ago on a friend’s iPad Pro and it was very nice.

    hi man,
    thanks for the appreciation. Now what stylus are you using ? Have you dealt with this situation ?
    many thanks

    I was tired when I posted, sorry I wasn’t clear! I use the Meko stylus (I think we’re talking about the same one)- I got a 2 pack for about $12 on Amazon. One side has the fine point disc, the other has a grey mesh tip.

    MEKO Universal Stylus Pen,[ 2 in 1 Precision Series)Disc Stylus Touch Screen Pen for all Capacitive Touch Screens Cell phones, tablets, Laptops Bundle with 6 Replacement Tips (2 Pcs ,Black/Silver) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01E0LHE26/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_KOj0Ab5J1KRKJ

    Check out goodnotes as well, I prefer that to notability. The zoom box for straight note taking is the best one in any of the apps I think, and I’ve tried a ton. It can also turn handwriting into typed text, although I don’t do that too often. I’m a social worker and I write all of my case notes in goodnotes.

    Hi Friend,
    thanks for your idea. I would like to prefer this one. I also have the same purchase experience as you. From my point of view, mine is very good and it works very well. I never consider trying another.
    many thanks

  • @CracklePot said:
    Well hell, I may have to get me a stylus now. I didn’t realize good ones were so cheap now, or that there were many options beyond Pencil or the cheapo styluses at the check out stands.

    Hi Friend,
    I read your reply and notice that you want to get a stylus now. What do you consider now ? Do you think over what you will get ?
    many thanks

  • @aaronpc said:

    @boblock said:

    @Zen210507 said:
    Last time this came up, the ‘winner’ as far as the OP was concerned, was the one I am using right now, this:

    hi,
    thanks for your sharing. The total price is high above my expectations. How does it feel after working ?

    If you're that skint, why don't you try making your own from household materials? It's not rocket science. YouTube it up.

    Hi Friend,
    As up to now, I don't have enough money to afford Apple Pencil, I need to find a stylus at low price ?
    I think not most people would prefer Apple Pencil as it is not suitable for all you. It depends.
    many thanks

Sign In or Register to comment.