Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Moog Model D and 15 strange bug with Apple account login

tjatja
edited April 2018 in General App Discussion

I just started Model D and it asked me to give the password of my Apple account, which I of course did not enter.

I checked that I am cleanly logged in in the iOS settings and the apps store and tried again - to the same effect!

I canceled this of course again and checked my IAP of Model D - as suspected, they were not bought!

So, what's wrong here?

I am not going to enter my Apple password into a popup from an App!

@MoogMusicInc

Comments

• This has happened to me dozens of times over the last few years. Sometimes I’ve entered my password and sometimes I haven’t (I like to mix it up). Either way, nothing bad has ever happened; no IAP was inadvertently bought, no data was ever stolen and none of my teeth fell out. :#

• I had that too now several times on different apps. I just entered my passwoed and everything was O.K.
    But almost as annoying as the IK Multimedia pop-ups in their apps.
    Lot´s of these apps often give me that facebook feeling i hate. But then i also could turn the wifi off :)

• @Beathoven said:
    This has happened to me dozens of times over the last few years. Sometimes I’ve entered my password and sometimes I haven’t (I like to mix it up). Either way, nothing bad has ever happened; no IAP was inadvertently bought, no data was ever stolen and none of my teeth fell out. :#

You are confusing the bad guys with password zigzagging! You have strong teeth.
    In 2010 I actually broke my collar bone over a computer related issue. Beware!

• tjatja
    edited April 2018

I updated to the new version, same situation.
    I made a hard-reboot, no change.

@MoogMusicInc I want you to fix that!

I am not going to insert my password in such a popup.
    I bought all IAP as soon as Model D came out and I want to use it without further problems!

EDIT: Found some mail adresses from moog and contacted them too.

• tjatja
    edited April 2018

Was curious, opened Model 15: The same shit!

For your information, @MoogMusicInc

One of you libraries is broken!

• Was nearly dying of aggressions, opened Animoog..... and this was fine!

No popup, all IAP there:

• tjatja
    edited April 2018

@Cib said:
    I had that too now several times on different apps. I just entered my passwoed and everything was O.K.
    But almost as annoying as the IK Multimedia pop-ups in their apps.

I will not enter my password at any other place than the iOS settings or in the App Store App, when buying something new!

Those are the canonical places for password entry!
    Any popups that ask for a password are NOT acceptable!

Lot´s of these apps often give me that facebook feeling i hate. But then i also could turn the wifi off :)

Tested this too - and strangly, in this case all IAP can be used!
    This is realy a bizarre bug.

• Well, on a good note, Model D just received a fine update. :)

• @Kühl said:

@Beathoven said:
    This has happened to me dozens of times over the last few years. Sometimes I’ve entered my password and sometimes I haven’t (I like to mix it up). Either way, nothing bad has ever happened; no IAP was inadvertently bought, no data was ever stolen and none of my teeth fell out. :#

You are confusing the bad guys with password zigzagging! You have strong teeth.
    In 2010 I actually broke my collar bone over a computer related issue. Beware!

:D I can’t even imagine what happened.

• edited April 2018

Hi @tja,

Thanks for being careful about given out your password details, you can never be too diligent with your personal data!

We have been aware of your findings for a while, but have been unable to find a good solution for it.
    The library that is asking for your password is actually iOS itself, and more specifically "StoreKit" that handles in-app purchases.
    It is considered a best practice by Apple to set up store related functionalities immediately at application launch. One of the reasons is that a purchase could go through, but network related problems could cause a download to fail. By activating the processing of the payment queue at application startup, unfinished transactions will automatically be handled as soon as potential network issues are resolved. You can find more information here, if you're technically minded : https://developer.apple.com/library/content/technotes/tn2387/_index.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/DTS40014795-CH1-BEST_PRACTICES-ADD_A_TRANSACTION_QUEUE_OBSERVER_AT_APPLICATION_LAUNCH

You can easily verify that iOS is actually requesting your password.
    When you see the dialog, hit the home button, and see if the app quits:

• If it closes the dialog and the app, then the dialog was part of the application and you should indeed be concerned
    • If the dialog is still visible and pressing the cancel button is the only way to dismiss it, then it’s an iOS system dialog

Animoog doesn't exhibit this behavior since its store implementation pre-dates these best practices.

We'll continue to look for a way to implement in-app purchases that respects Apple's best practices without iOS requesting access to your Apple account at launch, but at this time we have not found how to do that yet.

We hope this clarifies what you've discovered.

<3 your friends at Moog!

• Good response from a great company. :)

• @MoogMusicInc Thanks a bunch for your informative reply!

The BestPractice of Apple does not seem to be a bad idea, but the implementation is broken.
    It does sometimes not be able to use or detect the exiting and valid login information of iOS itself.

So, once again, Apple breaks things or just cannot manage to produce something stable.
    This is frustrating.

I complain a lot to Apple in the last time, but my feeling in this is, that such things will only change and get better, if developers complain to Apple, demanding a more stable framework to develop applications on.

• As far as I know iOS uses 'cookies' to remember when the user last entered the password for the AppStore/IAPs.
    If the cookie expires the entered information has to be verified by the user.

If the cookie happens to contain version information about an app it's makes sense to ask the user to verify the credential when the app version changes.

I've never bumped into issues having to re-enter iCloud password when launching an app?!

• @Samu said:
    As far as I know iOS uses 'cookies' to remember when the user last entered the password for the AppStore/IAPs.
    If the cookie expires the entered information has to be verified by the user.

If the cookie happens to contain version information about an app it's makes sense to ask the user to verify the credential when the app version changes.

I've never bumped into issues having to re-enter iCloud password when launching an app?!

That gave me the right idea: I logged out from iTunes in the iOS settings and then logged in again.

And voila: Both Model D and Model 15 are working again, without further popups!

Thanks a bunch :)

• edited April 2018

However, I never use fingerprint detection, in case the police chop off my fingers. Or the Russian mob.
    You never know. Neighbors loving Swedish dance music, can attack me to mess with my iPad.