Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

New Korg Gadget Album Featuring Monopoly: Enigmatic

edited April 2018 in Creations

Taking inspiration from last month's 3 track challenge initiated by @jwmmakerofmusic I've gone on to develop that initial sketch into something groundbreaking, a fusion of deep funky house and my hard-hitting epic progressive style. The second track Grace is the feature track in this album as it took the longest to get right.

I really wanted to share it here as without this forum I might not have had the motivation to even start the project. I'd also invite your feedback and suggestions as to what you'd like me to work on in future albums. In the queue, at the moment I've currently got a Grooverider 16 album, a Beatmaker album, a Beathawk album, a Garageband album, and of course any number of different Korg Gadget albums. Tell me what you think.

Special shoutouts to all the other Bandcamp IOS producers and YouTubers out there.

http://lucidmusicinc.bandcamp.com/album/enigmatic

Comments

• @LucidMusicInc said:
    Taking inspiration from last month's 3 track challenge initiated by @jwmmakerofmusic I've gone on to develop that initial sketch into something groundbreaking, a fusion of deep funky house and my hard-hitting epic progressive style. The second track Grace is the feature track in this album as it took the longest to get right.

I like Grace, has some nice changes, sounds and arrangement, can tell you put work into it!
    Felt the drums on Enigmatic could do with some refinement.

Overall these both suffer from "Gadget" production, sounds ok but play it next to a commercial song and it sounds like theres a pillow over it. Maybe it can be fixed in mastering. This has been an ongoing problem for me when using Gadget but Ive heard people's Gadget creations on here that got past it.

I really wanted to share it here as without this forum I might not have had the motivation to even start the project. I'd also invite your feedback and suggestions as to what you'd like me to work on in future albums. In the queue, at the moment I've currently got a Grooverider 16 album, a Beatmaker album, a Beathawk album, a Garageband album, and of course any number of different Korg Gadget albums. Tell me what you think.

Have you considered moving beyond the "groovebox" paradigm and combining different apps in the future? For me I find it forces greater originality.

• Overall these both suffer from "Gadget" production, sounds ok but play it next to a commercial song and it sounds like theres a pillow over it. Maybe it can be fixed in mastering. This has been an ongoing problem for me when using Gadget but Ive heard people's Gadget creations on here that got past it.

Cool songs but 1nsomniak is right it does sound like a pillow is on it.
    You have to mix the songs in AURIA PRO with the FabFilter plugins.
    don't be afraid to cross pollinate the apps Cubasis, and Beatmaker are cool
    But AURIA PRO has the FabFilter Plugins

• edited April 2018

@oldschoolwillie @1nsomniak

I have combined apps in the past, Beathawk, GarageBand and Gadget in particular. I'm thinking the next release will be a Cubasis Grooverider combo. I couldn't work with Grooverider in the past due to the 4 bar limitation but then I realised I could just program the midi in Cubasis and experiment with the sound design in Grooverider/Poison.

The mastering issue could be any number of problems, lack of monitor speakers and a soundproof studio being chief among them. I mix and master with earbuds. I'm not trying to make it sound like modern commercial EDM, but rather more like vintage house made with hardware and recorded on tape and vinyl, so some of the heavy filtering is intentional. I do however want it to sound as loud and as clear as I can possibly make it. Grace, the second song got a lot of EQ and compression work in Cubasis. But that's the extent of my mastering abilities. I'd rather pay someone else with proper tools to take it to the next stage, and I may do that at some point in the future if I put together the right collection of tracks.

@1nsomniak I completely agree with you about the drums. I need to work on making that more interesting before diving into the arrangement.

@oldschoolwillie I've been hearing a lot of good things about Auria. Can a Mini 4 handle it?

Thanks again for listening and for taking the time for providing some constructive feedback. B)

• edited April 2018

I don't know I have an IPAD AIR 1 and an IPAD PRO 2017 12.9
    I think your IPAD MINI 4 should be powerful enough if I use it on the Air one.
    I don't think that anything on IOS can touch AURIA and the FabFilters,
    the PSP plugins after that Final Touch and you should be pretty good.

• @oldschoolwillie said:
    I don't know I have an IPAD AIR 1 and an IPAD PRO 2017 12.9 I thin it can i f I can use it on the Air one. I don't think that anything on IOS can touch AURIA and the FabFilters, the PSP mocro warmer after that Final Touch and you should be pretty good.

Thanks for the advice!

• Im using Auria Pro on an iPad 4 which I think is older generation than the mini 4.
    The limit will be how many apps and fx you can run at once but Im doing ok so far with a few of each running.
    I didnt pick up the IAP FabFilters yet, will wait for a sale or just do that stuff in Ableton.

• Maybe Korg will give us some kind of mastering racks IAP. I've gotten a good handle on DeeMax. Reducing the mixer faders down to about 60% and boosting Deemax up to 40-50% gets everything punching pretty hard in the mix. I use EQ on the individual channels but naturally another EQ with spectrum analyser in Gadget is something I'd pay for.

• Before you spend a ton of money on Auria you should think about getting some better headphones or speakers to listen through. Plenty of people on this forum produce clear mixes with the apps you already have.

• edited April 2018

@Jocphone said:
    Before you spend a ton of money on Auria you should think about getting some better headphones or speakers to listen through. Plenty of people on this forum produce clear mixes with the apps you already have.

That would be great but I'm working overseas, living out of a suitcase. I suppose I could get some proper headphones rather than just the Apple earbuds.

Edit: I think I hear what you guys are getting at though. It's not really a mastering problem. I just need to tweak the drums to punch more. That can easily be done in Enigmatic. The second song Grace might need a complete rhythm overhaul, unfortunately. Ah well no point in doing it at all if not done properly. Back to Gadget I go.