Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Switching from iPhone to MacBook Pro- Worth it?

I’ve become quite proficient recording music using GarageBand, and associated ios apps on my iphone. I’ve received compliments by anonymous listeners who have said my music sounds “professional” in terms of quality. That said, like most of you I’m always looking to make the best sounding music possible.

I also own a Macbook Pro that I’ve never used to make music. So my question is, should I delve into the world of laptop music production and its associated learning curve/pros/cons? Or stick with what I’ve been doing?

The biggest pros of iPhone music production for me are:

1. The convenience of having everything I need in my pocket at all times wherever I may be.
  2. The simplicity
  3. The capability and familiarity of the iphone’s touch screen.

Cons:

I feel like I’m missing out on more advanced tools/capabilities that would take my music to another, more sophisticated level in terms of tools, quality, options, etc.

Any advice? If I attempt the switch to Macbook recording, would it be more likely that I’d find the pros do not justify the learning curve? Or would I quickly realize how much I’ve been missing and never look back?

Comments

• iOS has come a long way in terms of audio but it's still rather limiting compared to a traditional DAW/PC based setup.

I don't see why you shouldn't at least give it a go, see if you like it. Generally, things aren't all that different just less limiting.

Hope that helps.

• @ka010 said:
    iOS has come a long way in terms of audio but it's still rather limiting compared to a traditional DAW/PC based setup.

I don't see why you shouldn't at least give it a go, see if you like it. Generally, things aren't all that different just less limiting.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the reply. iOS is limiting in what ways specifically? That’s really the crux of the issue for me. In what ways am I being limited, and would removing those limitations justify sacrificing the convenience and familiarity with iOS music production?

• What would be the very first thing you would point me to on a laptop that would convince me that I should switch from iOS?

• @AnalogCortex said:

@ka010 said:
    iOS has come a long way in terms of audio but it's still rather limiting compared to a traditional DAW/PC based setup.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the reply. iOS is limiting in what ways specifically? That’s really the crux of the issue for me. In what ways am I being limited, and would removing those limitations justify sacrificing the convenience and familiarity with iOS music production?

No one can answer that for you. If you are happy...stay on iOS.
    But if you want to explore other options start with free tools like Garage Band and some free plug-ins.
    It also depends in what genre you are interested and how much you are willing to spend at the end.

• If I owned a Mac of any description I would definitely buy Logic Pro. That alone should keep you busy for a good long while and is likely to fill any gap in capability that you may be lacking. Plus it integrates nicely with GarageBand on your phone: start something on the phone, finish it on the Mac.

• I would be looking at some of the free versions of the plug ins that Tokyo Dawn Records has released, they are professional quality plug ins that are some of the best out there. The paid versions are only $50 each and take things to another level.

Logic certainly wouldn't be a bad choice for starting out, but I'd also maybe try Garageband on the Mac too.

• @AnalogCortex said:
    I’ve become quite proficient recording music using GarageBand, and associated ios apps on my iphone. I’ve received compliments by anonymous listeners who have said my music sounds “professional” in terms of quality. That said, like most of you I’m always looking to make the best sounding music possible.

I also own a Macbook Pro that I’ve never used to make music. So my question is, should I delve into the world of laptop music production and its associated learning curve/pros/cons? Or stick with what I’ve been doing?

The biggest pros of iPhone music production for me are:

1. The convenience of having everything I need in my pocket at all times wherever I may be.
    2. The simplicity
    3. The capability and familiarity of the iphone’s touch screen.

Cons:

I feel like I’m missing out on more advanced tools/capabilities that would take my music to another, more sophisticated level in terms of tools, quality, options, etc.

Any advice? If I attempt the switch to Macbook recording, would it be more likely that I’d find the pros do not justify the learning curve? Or would I quickly realize how much I’ve been missing and never look back?

If your music sounds great, then don't change anything!
    The more "sophisticted tools" you have, the less time you'll have left for writing music.

• @AnalogCortex said:

@ka010 said:

Hope that helps.

Well, If you're happy with your setup and don't feel like you're being limited, why change it up?

To be honest tho, personally I couldn't even imagine trying to make a full song on something as tiny as an iPhone.
    Speaking of convenience, moving to a proper DAW I'm sure you'd be surprised how cumbersome working with an iOS DAW is.

To make an example of what I mean, consider this, on iOS brining up a context menu usually involves something like a long press or tap and hold which just takes way too long compared to a right mouse click which is instant.

Like @Cib said, it depends on what you're trying to do. If you've worked with Garageband on iOS, I'd recommend giving it a go on the Mac. Other than that, I can only recommend Ableton but again, it depends on what you're trying to do and how you like to work.

• It’s harder to make a call on your MacBook at the grocery store. But seriously, it’s not an either/or matter. Using both opens everything up.

• no brainer - you can run vcv rack on the mbp for free :)

• Alchemy.

Just one more big reason not yet mentioned ;-)

• @funjunkie27 said:
    It’s harder to make a call on your MacBook at the grocery store. But seriously, it’s not an either/or matter. Using both opens everything up.

Less likely to drop your MacBook Pro down the pan..

• @Hmtx said:
    Alchemy.

Alchemy is built into GarageBand iOS.

• Is there anything you wish you could do in GB iOS that’s not available yet? This could help focus the recommendations

• Actually i´ve gone exact this way. Start with iPhone, then iPad, back to iPhone only and then bought a mac just because of music production (otherwise i wouldn´t need a notebook or desktop at all).
    I felt limited in what i wanted to do and depending on the experiences and workflow it was the right decision for me.
    BUT.....it really can get quite expensive (but value is nothing you can see in numbers anyway).
    Not that iOS also can´t be expensive if you buy any app plus all the IAP.
    Beside free ware the entree is much cheaper mostly on iOS but often you get really much much more from some desktop tools for not so much more money.
    It´s all relative.
    Sometimes less is more and will just distract you from inspiration and to be creative but also sometimes it´s simple and more is just more. More options, more inspiration, more creativity.
    So what kind of music you want to do. For everything synth related i think iOS is pretty good. For orchestra and layering huge multi-instruments to perform maybe not so.
    You also can use the iPhone as midi controller and/or there are some interesting tools out there which brings even multi-touch for mac to your trackpad.
    If you have a new one with the touch bar i saw some amazing tools for it for Abelton Live (but also other DAW´s) f.e.
    Do you use extern midi keyboard or prefer the iPhone screen? I love to play some things on my iPhone but also can play even more expressive on just my macbook keyboard as midi input with some tools.
    There are so many ways. Best is to try out some things and watch for tons of available you-tube tutorials and stuff to see if that is something you might like.
    Most important....have fun and enjoy what you do!

• edited April 2018

Pro for going to desktop

• The incredible amount of plugins/software available on desktop.
    • Less space restriction for audio recording.
    • Keeping a lot more project on desktop than phone.
    • Bigger screen
    • Having my entire setup plugged and ready to go at a flick of a switch.
    • A more mature music platform with less workaround to get a workflow.
    • More CPU power / Ram

Con of desktop

• Less portable
    • More expensive to buy software/plugin
    • Needs a dedicated space/room
    • You would most likely need to buy a new audio interface if your current is not compatible with desktop or you don’t have one.
  • Wow that is some huge titles :# :#

• edited April 2018

If you’ve already got a MacBook, take a trip through desktop GarageBand and maybe watch a few “Getting Started” tutorials for Logic Pro or Reason. I’m nothing near a desktop power user but I find it very difficult to create complete songs on a touchscreen — the fact that you can do it tells me that you will probably find the Logic Pro workflow tedious, but you will probably adore the extra capabilities once you’ve adjusted.

I use and love GB iOS but at the end of the day, I consider it a sketch pad for ideas that I can later flesh out on my laptop.

• Or wait until the next macOS.......maybe it´s true and you can run your iOS apps on your mac as well (but i still doubt it will happen).

• If you are looking to have a solution in Search of a problem situation, you have proposed it. If there’s something you need to do that can only BT done on your MacBook Pro. If there’s something that’s better for you on your phone, do that there. If you want both workflows, do both. It doesn’t have to be either or anyway, you can record on iOS GarageBand and open that project directly on your laptop if needed in GarageBand. Or logic if you choose to do so.

The tools you use don’t matter as long as they get results you want. If they don’t, then they’re not tools, they are toys. Toys are fine, but call them what they are.

Hope that’s helpful.

• Reaper is a fully-functional and free (60-day trial that, er, never expires) PC/Mac DAW.

reaper.fm

• I would go for this .. Can’t go wrong. I prefer Reason to Logic and it’s the most “iOS-like” and soulful app..
    https://shop.propellerheads.se/product/reason-10-intro/

• @bigcatrik said:
    Reaper is a fully-functional and free (60-day trial that, er, never expires) PC/Mac DAW.

reaper.fm

Reaper isn’t free. It is you being stealing past the trial period. Even if it is fully functional.

• @mschenkel.it said:

@bigcatrik said:
    Reaper is a fully-functional and free (60-day trial that, er, never expires) PC/Mac DAW.

reaper.fm

Reaper isn’t free. It is you being stealing past the trial period. Even if it is fully functional.

I never used it past 60 days.

• @AnalogCortex said:

@Hmtx said:
    Alchemy.

Alchemy is built into GarageBand iOS.

That´s what the real Alchemy spit out at the back :)

• :lol: There was a time where we had the real Alchemy on iOS. Now it’s only on Mac.

• @Hmtx said:
    :lol: There was a time where we had the real Alchemy on iOS. Now it’s only on Mac.

I mean it was more the player version but it was great and could import about 90% of the presets from the desktop.
    Alchemy has maybe still the best preset banks ever.
    So many unique gems. Some of these presets are a whole adventure to explore :)
    Time that i go trough the 3000+ presets again.

• Yes, I never made it thru all those Alchemy presets the first time. I never owned the iOS version but it was a no brainer purchase of Mainstage 3.0 when they first included the full Alchemy synth with gigs and gigs of presets. So good.

• iOS All the way for me infact after getting my ipad pro and ipad air2 i'am selling my 2 mac pro's - i've not made music on them since the switch - the fact i can take my numerous sampler drum machines and apps anywhere i want (lightweight) also using ipad with my dj controller with my ipads for djing soon -even selling my hardware akais950/mpc2000 samplers not switched those on since iOS impressed me after years of laughing at it. If anything maybe consider getting an Air2/ipad Pro instead of mackbook(boring using the mouse) pro -

• edited April 2018

A DAW app on a phone has a really tiny footprint and cumbersome to use. Upgrade to at least an iPad (preferably the next new Pro 10.5" to be announced this June by Apple). Currently, some of the coolest iOS apps (Cubasis, Procreate, etc) are available only on the iPad and not iPhone. Cubasis is being optimized for iPad Pro's screen size in their next release to use up all the extra real estate instead of just scaling up. As far as I know, currently only GB is optimized for Pro.