Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Looking for a vocoder sound

Like on O superman by Laurie Anderson.

Can anyone recommend a good app, or microkorg patch? :smiley:

Thank you.

Comments

• edited April 2018

I suggest iVoxel by virsyn. It is based on the Matrix Vocoder used by Kraftwerk, after all. Your example sounds pretty classic vocoder to me, much like the Kraftwerk vocoder. I would guess she is probably using the Matrix also.

But I am no expert in naming hardware off of audio samples, so maybe try to look up what Laurie Anderson used on the track to be sure first. Either way, iVoxel sounds really good, and there are lots of YouTube demos to hear it for yourself before you decide.

• VoxSyn will get you there too. I don't have iVoxel, but my understanding is that they are similar but different... do a bit of research so you know which one you're getting.

• @dvlmusic said:
    VoxSyn will get you there too. I don't have iVoxel, but my understanding is that they are similar but different... do a bit of research so you know which one you're getting.

That one is also based on the Matrix if I recall correctly. It is also by virsyn, but newer and has some different features like voice pitch tracking to drive a synth by singing. Pretty amazing stuff.

• Thanks, I’lll check those out! Apparently it’s a Roland VP 330. It does sound pretty classic, I just wish I knew enough of sound synthesis to make a microkorg patch!

• Wow. I just Googled “Microkorg vocoder patch” to see if it was possible, and you are in luck. There are many examples of how to create this type of patch from many sources. I am sure you could just make one yourself. Looks fun, wish I had a Microkorg! :)

• I tried a few of those and they don’t sound quite right, particularly the "talkbox" styles...

• Voloco or iVOXEL

• @girlvsworld said:
    I tried a few of those and they don’t sound quite right, particularly the "talkbox" styles...

Yeah talkbox effects sound sorta similar, but are created very differently. Those won’t be right for the example you’ve given. You would want a real vocoder effect, which involves setting up parallel banks of narrow band filters. Talkbox uses your mouth for the filter usually.

• Voice Synth might get you there.

• Caustic has a nice old-school programable vocoder too. Does that style, and more

• @CracklePot said:

@girlvsworld said:
    I tried a few of those and they don’t sound quite right, particularly the "talkbox" styles...

Yeah talkbox effects sound sorta similar, but are created very differently. Those won’t be right for the example you’ve given. You would want a real vocoder effect, which involves setting up parallel banks of narrow band filters. Talkbox uses your mouth for the filter usually.

Yep - a talkbox and a vocoder are wildly different technologies that produce similar results. Make sure you know which is which and what you want to accomplish as you'll be disappointed if you get one and are looking for the other.

• I like iVoxel if it is used to actually make what they refer to as what are termed as “voxels”. I spent quite a while making voxels for my Robot Christmas song, and although quite time consuming I found it very rewarding and fun (conversely, I’ve tried sampling back in the ‘90s when I bought an Akai sampler and found that although quite time consuming, it was exceedingly boring, even more time consuming and all you get out of it at the end is hardly worth the bother).

• edited April 2018

I like Voice Synth a lot. Two things stand out about O Superman: there are actually a few different vocoder sounds that get switched between for different parts and there's lots of her raw voice left in the mix.

• Most of the Korg apps have a ‘talking mod’ effect, and if you are using gadget you’ can automate the formant and offset which will give you some super vocoder-like sounds. Not sure if that’s what you’re looking for but I do it a lot for that effect

• Cool, thanks folks. Looks like I’ve got a few options here!

• @u0421793 said:
    I like iVoxel if it is used to actually make what they refer to as what are termed as “voxels”. I spent quite a while making voxels for my Robot Christmas song, and although quite time consuming I found it very rewarding and fun (conversely, I’ve tried sampling back in the ‘90s when I bought an Akai sampler and found that although quite time consuming, it was exceedingly boring, even more time consuming and all you get out of it at the end is hardly worth the bother).

This track made me laugh in a good way. With you, not at you ;)

• @girlvsworld said:

@u0421793 said:
    I like iVoxel if it is used to actually make what they refer to as what are termed as “voxels”. I spent quite a while making voxels for my Robot Christmas song, and although quite time consuming I found it very rewarding and fun (conversely, I’ve tried sampling back in the ‘90s when I bought an Akai sampler and found that although quite time consuming, it was exceedingly boring, even more time consuming and all you get out of it at the end is hardly worth the bother).

This track made me laugh in a good way. With you, not at you ;)

Thanks. The original vocal source was just me saying the words in a fairly monotone, slowish, but not paced into any beat or musical phrasing at all. I just spoke it at a leisurely pace, one word at a time or one phrase at a time, per voxel, making sure I had a clear articulation around all the consonants and the vowels.

Then, in the voxel-making machinery, you have the freedom to move sections of a word or phrase back and forth in time, to make it fit whatever pacing you wish, and you can shift the exciter frequency along a predetermined sequence, to give it the tuning you wish at any point. It is a very useful mechanism and quite different from live vocoding, a lot more fine-tunable.

• encenc
    edited April 2018

The vocoder sound used on O superman is just a generic "vocoder" sound.if your microkorg still has preset patches many of the vocoder presets will give you that exact sound. You may need to play the keys polyphonicly i.e. Play chords. Also use the pitch wheel. I'll be uploading a track to the song of the month thread shortly featuring extensive use of the microkorg vocoder and pitch shifting effects.

• Even if it's just the generic vocoder sound I haven't been able to find anything even remotely comparable in IOS.
    Voice Synth is tinny and harsh (once tried, never used again), the others all featured examples drowned in effects like chorus and reverb.
    In the Anderson clip there is no such processing, it's the dry sound of the processor.
    Since no replacement for 'classic' vocoding existed, I switched to Apesoft's Sparkle for that purpose. It's a bit tricky to setup, but has a broader palette of sounds.

• @enc said:
    The vocoder sound used on O superman is just a generic "vocoder" sound.if your microkorg still has preset patches many of the vocoder presets will give you that exact sound. You may need to play the keys polyphonicly i.e. Play chords. Also use the pitch wheel. I'll be uploading a track to the song of the month thread shortly featuring extensive use of the microkorg vocoder and pitch shifting effects.

I have the original presets on my computer but did install the second set that microkorg released. I did try looking through the original patches but still didn’t quite find what I’m looking for, maybe I need to revisit that and try chords/pitch wheel.