Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Why are there so few Bluetooth Midi options?

The user and all related content has been deleted.

Comments

• I use the yamaha BT-MD01. Problem solved :)

But I hear ya.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited April 2018

There are more and more BT Midi controllers appearing...

LPK and LPD from Akai have been around for 18 months

http://www.akaipro.com/products/keyboard-controllers/lpk25-wireless

http://www.akaipro.com/products/pad-controllers/lpd8-wireless

• edited April 2018

There is also PUC if you want to add BT MIDI to an existing USB controller
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016PHN7CO/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&linkCode=sl1&tag=l0e7c-20&linkId=d247809f77c30859e06704b3a1b7d07a

I think this is one way MIDi only though...it can switch between being MIDI IN or MIDI OUT

• But it still sucks if you have a lot midi traffic. If i use MPE i can´t have a stable session.
    No cables is still far away. Strange that the fastest and most stable thing is the connection between iOS and mac via Apple´s remote apps. Not sure what they do better.
    Or my Seaboard just sucks at midi bluetooth.

• edited April 2018

@Cib said:
    But it still sucks if you have a lot midi traffic. If i use MPE i can´t have a stable session.
    No cables is still far away. Strange that the fastest and most stable thing is the connection between iOS and mac via Apple´s remote apps. Not sure what they do better.

Yes, I can confirm that BT MIDI only works well at data rates typical for keyboard playing without too much pitch bend, mod wheel and aftertouch data, not to speak of sysex which doesn't work at all here.
    Probably the reason is that available power on the MIDI port is very limited, and high BT data rates require more power.
    Can your MPE source be configured to send MPE data at less frequent intervals?

I'm already happy when MIDI works with cables attached, most iOS apps have a rather bare bones MIDI implementation - they often either don't sync properly, don't support relative controllers or don't handle large sysex messages.

• edited April 2018

deleted

• @mAxjUlien said:
    Interesting. Almost bought one of these once. @MikeyP do you know if the midi adapter can connect directly to iPad bluetooth or must the receiver be connected to cck?

It doesent connect to ipad, but your midi keys. Ipad has a bluetooth receiver, so no ned for usb dongle

• @AndyPlankton said:

I love the idea of a battery operated Bluetooth midi controller. Is there something similar out here to the Akai which has 76 or 88 keys?

• @HokieKev said:

@AndyPlankton said:

I love the idea of a battery operated Bluetooth midi controller. Is there something similar out here to the Akai which has 76 or 88 keys?

Korg Microkey Air 2 has a 61 key version.

• edited April 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @HokieKev said:

@AndyPlankton said:

The Kawai ES110 stage piano is supporting MIDI over Bluetooth: kawai-global.com/support/bluetooth/ and/or kawai-global.com/product/es110/

• edited April 2018

@mAxjUlien said:

@AndyPlankton said:

http://www.akaipro.com/products/pad-controllers/lpd8-wireless

Perhaps my expectations are way too high. Ive explored most of the available options like LPK, LPD. Not as inspiring as you’d think would be the case by now. Korg is on the right track with NKS. Small, sleek form factor, keys and pads, scale, arp, chord, etc but wish it had Seabord keys. Still my goto.

Just expected others to be more creative and hop on the wireless train early as the sophistication of apps speed toward desktop and mobile devices continue to win tech.

Sensel’s Morph and IK’s keyboard with built in interface are exciting efforts i’m watching. Morph is very compelling but after Quneo, kind of wary of more ‘flat’ knobs and faders. Prefer the real ting.

Roli Lightblocks were so disappointing i haven’t even tried the latest M series. When executed well, their MPE contributions could be legendary.

I guess i was hoping for maybe an NKS with CME Xkey or Seaboard type keys. MPD Air...Full weight keys with Uber knobs and faders to map synths, etc....Launchpad Pro Air type clip launcher?

I know it may have a lot to do with the amount of midi messages IPad can receive as some have mentioned. Nnone of my wind controllers work well even with after touch off. Those were sorta the first mpe’s.

@ToMess said:

@mAxjUlien said:
    Interesting. Almost bought one of these once. @MikeyP do you know if the midi adapter can connect directly to iPad bluetooth or must the receiver be connected to cck?

It doesent connect to ipad, but your midi keys. Ipad has a bluetooth receiver, so no ned for usb dongle

This is great. Ordered 2 sets for the studio. Still, would love a small, bag-able, premium quality key/pad combo unit and a clip/scene launcher with plenty of nobs and faders.

Perhaps whats holding the manufacturers back is that if you want to use your controller to control a synth as opposed to connecting it to software, then BT MIDI is not much use.

Also if people are experiencing problems with relatively light traffic from a Mod or pitch wheel then most expressive controllers using CC's and HiRes CC's would probably suffer from the issues.

• @rs2000 said:

@Cib said:
    But it still sucks if you have a lot midi traffic. If i use MPE i can´t have a stable session.

Yes, I can confirm that BT MIDI only works well at data rates typical for keyboard playing without too much pitch bend, mod wheel and aftertouch data, not to speak of sysex which doesn't work at all here.
    Probably the reason is that available power on the MIDI port is very limited, and high BT data rates require more power.
    Can your MPE source be configured to send MPE data at less frequent intervals?

I'm already happy when MIDI works with cables attached, most iOS apps have a rather bare bones MIDI implementation - they often either don't sync properly, don't support relative controllers or don't handle large sysex messages.

Yep. Because of that i only use my Seaboard Rise in bluetooth mode if i use it as a "normal" midi keyboard/controller. Then it works fine and the latency is very usable and velocity response is awesome as well.
    I also use the 3 sliders and XY pad as controller which works also mostly nice via bluetooth.
    My default set-up is left slider as modwheel (CC01), middle is breath (CC2), right is expression (CC11).
    X on the pad is sustain (CC64) and Y is foot controller (CC4).
    But it really sucks that Roli doesn´t let me save different cc mappings and also let me not change the CC74 from the slide. It´s great build and response and feels awesome but it´s so limited in 2018 that i wouldn´t buy it again or recommend it for the price.
    I also tried to sold it but even for the half price people are not interested. So i maybe had better bought an iPad Pro instead :)

• Korg Nanokey Studio works flawlessly even with all its controllers, low latency, works on battery which last very long. Works also on usb, and is compatible with Windows 10 on BTLE too.

• @Janosax said:
    Korg Nanokey Studio works flawlessly even with all its controllers, low latency, works on battery which last very long. Works also on usb, and is compatible with Windows 10 on BTLE too.

I second this, Korg Nanokey Studio works really well. For me, its only competition is the Apple Pencil. Might be cool to see a new Pencil with a few mappable buttons. Bigger issue is that in general Bluetooth tends to be really flakey. Improve Bluetooth, improve controllers etc.