Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

The state of latency with new iPads and iPhone X using IDAM and iConnectMIDI2+

It seems like IDAM is as fast as my iConnectMIDI2+ in going back and forth with all combinations of audio and MIDI. I wasn't expecting that! Is a very good thing is that I no longer need my hardware interface as long as I'm only doing 1 channel at a time which is my intention. Is there any drawbacks to just using IDAM in your experience? Any circumstances where I'll wish I still had my iConnectMIDI2+ if I sell it? :)

Comments

• edited April 2018

I get what they call “creeping latency” (increased latency over time) with IDAM. It’s OK for the first hour or so, then I have to reboot to make the problem go away. Then it’s OK for another hour. I am still using El Capitan and I hear this problem is fixed under High Sierra. (Can’t update to High Sierra right now for other reasons.)

For now, I’m using Studiomux, where the issue is less problematic for my set up. It’s not a showstopper of an issue, but it does mean I need to reboot from time to time throughout a whole day session.

• @Lady_App_titude said:
    I get what they call “creeping latency” (increased latency over time) with IDAM. It’s OK for the first hour or so, then I have to reboot to make the problem go away. Then it’s OK for another hour. I am still using El Capitan and I hear this problem is fixed under High Sierra. (Can’t update to High Sierra right now for other reasons.)

For now, I’m using Studiomux, which doesn’t have the problem for me.

Thanks! I think I was getting a bit of that but maybe for a different reason. As far as I could tell, my USB hub may have been overloaded powerwise and it started getting worse. Then when I unplugged a couple device from the USB strip its seemed better again. Its such a mystery. I'll post back if it continues to work ok on High Sierra which I'm using...

• This post from back in January was the last time I seriously investigated the issue.

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/23765/creeping-latency-confirmed-with-both-idam-and-studiomux#latest

• I still have trouble with IDAM on High Sierra.
    Sometimes i get latency jumps which are several seconds until i disconnect and reconnect it again.
    Also i get now after some minutes often crackles and dropouts from my iPhone which can‘t be a cpu issue since it also works when i reconnect it again.
    So beside a few minute sessions to record a bit audio it‘s not great. So i won‘t use it often.

• @Cib said:
    I still have trouble with IDAM on High Sierra.
    Sometimes i get latency jumps which are several seconds until i disconnect and reconnect it again.
    Also i get now after some minutes often crackles and dropouts from my iPhone which can‘t be a cpu issue since it also works when i reconnect it again.
    So beside a few minute sessions to record a bit audio it‘s not great. So i won‘t use it often.

darn. guess that's bad news about it. Maybe i should hang on to my interface! thanks for the feedback.

• I also get this thing where it says I don't have enough power, but then it will work fine for awhile after that. The message comes up in a dialog box on my phone or ipad. Then sometimes it will come up with another dialog box saying that it is not a supported device (its Apple genuine adapter) and again it'll work fine after I reconnect the cable. Just wondering if it could have anything to do with the USB hub, which is a powered Anker.

• I’d keep the iconnectmidi2+. I’ve never had any issues passing audio and mid between my iOS devices and my Mac with it.

• In case anyone can help me in this thread - I posted my question in the following thread yesterday:

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/23240/idam-got-a-fix#latest

Summarizing: I have an aggregate (Apogee Duet/iPad) device setup to be able to use IDAM in Cubase Pro. I want to send midi from a Cubase Pro midi track to an iPad instrument app and receive audio on an audio track in Cubase Pro and record it.

Midi to the iPad is working fine but I rarely get any audio signal on my audio track that I created in Cubase Pro. All routings seem correct and really straightforward, and with these settings I have occasionally got the audio to route into Cubase. So I am wondering what factors affect the consistency of the connection? Switching between iOS audio/instrument apps? Is IDAM a 48kHz/24bit stream regardless of instrument app settings and do I have to have 48 kHz as my project sample rate in Cubase Pro as well? The lightning cable is plugged into a powered USB hub. Should the connection be straight into the mac usb port?

Thanks guys for any insight you may be able to provide!