Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Midifire or Midiflow

Hi all, I have a foot controller that only sends pc changes and I want to be able to switch between patterns in Vatanator which only accepts cc changes. Would either of these apps be able to remap pc messages? Has anyone tried it? I wonder if there will be any latency or strange issues like it will only switch to the pattern if you are holding the switch down. Thanks!

Comments

• edited April 2018

I use MidiFire and love it. It can do what you are looking to do. The plus with Midifire is that Nic will help you out with any issues or even to get started. Send him an email before you buy--he will give you an assurance on the feasibility.

• This is a good fight, er, comparison. I have no idea which to get, but am leaning toward midifire myself lately. Midiflow seemed easier before, but midifire doesn’t look too complicated anymore. It did kind of look crazy when it first came out though.

I just wish midifire wasn’t going subscription or whatever that is called. :(

:D

• I bought midifire and 1, 000, 000 credits 😁

Thanks folks!

• @girlvsworld said:
    I bought midifire and 1, 000, 000 credits 😁

Thanks folks!

Make sure you leave them a good review before April 1 next year .

• I will, because Nic is lightning fast with the help!

• @CracklePot said:
    This is a good fight, er, comparison. I have no idea which to get, but am leaning toward midifire myself lately. Midiflow seemed easier before, but midifire doesn’t look too complicated anymore. It did kind of look crazy when it first came out though.

Hey, I assume you are aware the credits thing was an April Fool’s day joke or?

• @AlexB said:

@CracklePot said:
    This is a good fight, er, comparison. I have no idea which to get, but am leaning toward midifire myself lately. Midiflow seemed easier before, but midifire doesn’t look too complicated anymore. It did kind of look crazy when it first came out though.

Yes, and a very funny joke indeed! Very well planned and executed. Lots of funny details when you read the TOS. :)

• @CracklePot said:

@AlexB said:

@CracklePot said:

Yes, and a very funny joke indeed! Very well planned and executed. Lots of funny details when you read the TOS. :)

Ok then all good! :smiley:

• For future searchers: they are both up to this task. Think you might need the controller remapping IAP for MIDIFlow though.

• @syrupcore said:
    For future searchers: they are both up to this task. Think you might need the controller remapping IAP for MIDIFlow though.

Yes, the IAP ($3.99) is needed.

• Is it better to have both of these? Or would one or the other suffice?

• wimwim
    edited April 2018

IMO you only need both if you run into something that can’t be done with one vs. the other. I got MidiFire out of interest and because it makes it possible to set up network midi connections between apps that don’t work by themselves with it. MidiFlow doesn’t do that.

I discovered that latency And reliability over WiFi aren’t practical for me, so I don’t use it. It’s interesting for me to have both, but I prefer MidiFlow myself. Others probably feel differently about that. But I would say no, you don’t need both. Either is fine.

• @wim said:
    IMO you only need both if you run into something that can’t be done with one vs. the other. I got MidiFire out of interest and because it makes it possible to set up network midi connections between apps that don’t work by themselves with it. MidiFlow doesn’t do that.

I discovered that latency And reliability over WiFi aren’t practical for me, so I don’t use it. It’s interesting for me to have both, but I prefer MidiFlow myself. Others probably feel differently about that. But I would say no, you don’t need both. Either is fine.

Agree, you don't need both. I prefer MidiFire, so there you have it.

• wimwim
    edited April 2018

Many of the things that you need to do with programming in MidiFire are done with the GUI in MidiFlow. I do enough programming in my life, so prefer the menu based approach in MidiFlow. Ymmv of course.

• @wim said:
    Many of the things that you need to do with programming in MidiFire are done with the GUI in MidiFlow. I do enough programming in my life, so prefer the menu based approach in MidiFlow. Ymmv of course.

This is true enough. For relatively simple stuff, midiflow does the trick through the GUI. However, I was always bumping into stuff I couldn't do in the GUI and so I have found Midifire more powerful and flexible--and therefore it saves me time and hassle overall. Make no mistake that it requires some effort to wrap your head around stream byter.

• @wim @lukesleepwalker Cool. Thanks for the details. :)
    Now all I have to do is figure out which one! :D

• They’re both great. I happily used Audeonic MidiBridge for years, but then it needed a compatibility update so I switched over to Midiflow. Love the design, should be more than enough for most basic uses. Then Audeonic Midifire came out and I bought it anyway, more than happy to support the dev...

But in the last year or so I’ve mainly been in Ableton land, so haven’t gone very deep with it. Ableton has a note length midi effect that I use for OP’s specific purpose. I have the Nord Drum 3P and the ND2 with the Pad which don’t send Note Off but feel great to play, and I love using them with VSTs and iOS apps. It’s such a pleasure playing melodic stuff with a good percussion controller...

• @CracklePot said:
    @wim @lukesleepwalker Cool. Thanks for the details. :)
    Now all I have to do is figure out which one! :D

You are welcome! B)

• I got midifire because the dev responded to my queries the quickest, even if it did cost $1.50 (CDN) more 😀. He was extremely helpful with streambyter too. I was really wrestling with some things, but with this purchase I think I finally have a stable synths & drums rig for live use (my own fault for complicating things!), and i’m so happy about it I’ve been dancing around my kitchen for joy!

• Nice to hear of your success!

• Both are good but Midifire is my favourite. Much easier to reroute setups in the modular environment than with lanes from midiflow but midiflow is easier for certain things it’s true. Yeah great support in the Midifire forum too.

• edited April 2018

@wim said:
    IMO you only need both if you run into something that can’t be done with one vs. the other. ## I got MidiFire out of interest and because it makes it possible to set up network midi connections between apps that don’t work by themselves with it. MidiFlow doesn’t do that.

Do you maybe know if the network connection also works "local", so I can sync Samplr with Cubasis ???

Edit:
    Yes, it works and just discovered midifire is just the new midibridge released in a new jacket.

Manual:

remote host/address:
    Enter the hostname or IP address of the remote device/computer that you wish to initiate the connection to. By default this is set to 'localhost' which creates a looped back connection where all events sent to the Network output port are reflected back into the Network input.

• Midifire works great to sync Samplr with Cubasis including start and stop (ios11). :p

• Old thread, but gotta say it. I'm leaning towards both. Nice to abstract the stuff coming off the interface wire away from the ports entering the app handling scenes.

• I haven't used MidiFlow but can say MidiFire is very powerful and Nic is super helpful. You can look for pretty much any MIDI data and convert that data into somethingr else or filter it or use it as a trigger. I'm working on a script that will look for certain note combinations and send out bank and program changes in response -- or to temporarily turn the keyboard into a program change selector.

• I got MidiFire for the scripting capability.
    Now all I have to do is figure out how to use that feature. :D

• @CracklePot said:
    I got MidiFire for the scripting capability.

I’ve already got Midiflow and the scripting looks interesting. Other than that are there any reasons to buy MidiFire too ?

• @Korakios said:

@CracklePot said:
    I got MidiFire for the scripting capability.

I’ve already got Midiflow and the scripting looks interesting. Other than that are there any reasons to buy MidiFire too ?

I think MidiFire edges out MidiFlow in features slightly, but MidiFlow has an easier workflow, but not really sure, as I don’t have MidiFlow. But that is the impression I got when trying to pick between the 2.

I know a lot of people have and use both ( or at least they say as much ;) ). I have the MidiFlow Audiobus plugins, and they are easy to use and are pretty solid.

I just remembered an important factor. The Midi Fire dev is very helpful and responsive. He (they?) is some of the best for supporting their app, and they have a good forum.
    MidiFlow, not so much. The dev is great, but not as engaged with his customers as far as I can tell.

• edited June 2018

Yep, I only recently got into the stream byter module in MidiFire and managed to turn notes in to PCs with 3 simple lines of code. It's very powerful but it sure has a learning curve. One other great thing about it is that there's a mac version as well so one can use the same patches cross-platform. And stream byter is now available inside MidiDesigner Pro as well.

• Speaking of MIDIflow, any news from @JohannesD ?