Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

iPad with no headphone jack while playing Midi

iPad Pro: midi + no headphone jack dilemma.

Just bought irig 37 to use With my new iPad. Any solutions so that I can use headphones while playing midi in iOS apps?

All the new iOS devices have no headphone jack and the lightning adapter is being used by midi

Comments

• No headphone jack on the latest iPads? F-cking stupid Apple!

• Here’s where the sales of Bluetooth midi controllers go through the roof. This really is ridiculous of Apple

• Won’t there be latency lag when using synth apps, etc? I thought Bluetooth was too slow

• Is there a new iPad Pro?

• No...I have the most recent 10.5 pro...

• Ok this thread is a bit weird, all current iPads do have headphone jacks...

• edited April 2018

• edited April 2018

I heard Apple made a deal with China recently. I have not verified this...but I trust my sources. If what I heard is right, they could care less about music production! Just my 2 cents...that has no relation to the new iPads.

👁

• You may want to check the top left corner of your latest iPad Pro 10.5”. Did you get an Abble instead? Don’t buy these things off the street.

• Haha, could be the iPad Bro

• @klattgalvin said:
    Won’t there be latency lag when using synth apps, etc? I thought Bluetooth was too slow

No, Bluetooth MIDI works great! But Bluetooth AUDIO has the latency.

• I’m such a dunce...the 3.5 jack is on my iPad....smh...:-). Thanks!!

If I wanted to use it with my iPhone 7 that would be where I would need Bluetooth

• @AlleycatLA said:

@klattgalvin said:
    Won’t there be latency lag when using synth apps, etc? I thought Bluetooth was too slow

Bluetooth MIDI has no added latency?
    Because it's just too few data?

• edited April 2018

@tja said:

@AlleycatLA said:

@klattgalvin said:

BT has limited impact in midi latency because of the small amount of data transferred.

• There are very workable ways around this scenario (even without Bluetooth), if the iPad headphone jack ever did go away. We iPhone 7 Plus users pioneered the way. 🙂

• @Audiojunkie said:
    There are very workable ways around this scenario (even without Bluetooth), if the iPad headphone jack ever did go away. We iPhone 7 Plus users pioneered the way. 🙂

What are the workarounds?

• @tja said:

@AlleycatLA said:

@klattgalvin said:

Of course BT Midi adds unnecessary latency because of the BT communication protocol that has to work rather reliably over a wireless connection, but it's still much lower than BT audio latency because the relatively low bitrate and low power requirements of the BT connection requires audio to be compressed. That introduces the largest part of the latency.
    Guys, I would never ever buy an iPad without a headphone jack just for this reason!!!
    It doesn't matter at all when listening to music, but when playing an instrument live it'll spoil the fun.

• Another useful tip – on the same edge as the headphone jack is a small button which actually powers the ipad up – the screen lights up and you can touch it!

• @u0421793 said:
    Another useful tip – on the same edge as the headphone jack is a small button which actually powers the ipad up – the screen lights up and you can touch it!

But then you end up with fingerprints all over the screen. Apple just didn’t think this through!

• @rs2000 said:

@tja said:

@AlleycatLA said:

@klattgalvin said:

Of course BT Midi adds unnecessary latency because of the BT communication protocol that has to work rather reliably over a wireless connection, but it's still much lower than BT audio latency because the relatively low bitrate and low power requirements of the BT connection requires audio to be compressed. That introduces the largest part of the latency.
    Guys, I would never ever buy an iPad without a headphone jack just for this reason!!!
    It doesn't matter at all when listening to music, but when playing an instrument live it'll spoil the fun.

In my experience bt midi doesent add any noticeable latency, its so small that you automatically start to correct your playing. The difference is somewhere on the same level than keys with low travel vs long travel to trigger a note.

Anyways i dont care about headphone jack on ipad, as its much better to use audio interface and while doing it, you can hook usb hub with usb-midi dongle or just have midi ports on interface. I mean if you just want super portable, you wouldnt be hooking tons of stuff to ipad, likely just headphones, in that case it doesent matter if you use dongle or dedicated jack and if you are hooking more gear to it and not aiming to be super portable while playing, you might just as well hook up an interface. I think its a nice addition for some situations, but not a dealbreaker. No headphone jack on iphone is a massive dealbreaker tho

• @richardyot said:

@u0421793 said:
    Another useful tip – on the same edge as the headphone jack is a small button which actually powers the ipad up – the screen lights up and you can touch it!

But then you end up with fingerprints all over the screen. Apple just didn’t think this through!

Also, I find that by touching something on the screen, you can’t see what it was because your finger is over it. I thought they were supposed to be good at UI.

• edited April 2018

@richardyot said:

@Audiojunkie said:
    There are very workable ways around this scenario (even without Bluetooth), if the iPad headphone jack ever did go away. We iPhone 7 Plus users pioneered the way. 🙂

What are the workarounds?

Check this out 🙂👍🏼

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/21211/is-anyone-interested-in-knowing-a-cheap-solution-for-the-iphone-7-and-iphone-8-no-jack-problem