Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Why i HATE updates

1) Updating Blocs Wave: I paid for a full version and lost the main features after updating it

2) Updating Patterning (today): I lost all of my patterns, songs and drum kits

3) Minor program code changes generally result in downloads which are just too big, like complete programs including samples etc. - Apples iOS update policy is the clear opposite of smart, imho.

These are some reasons why i HATE it. Did i something wrong? Am i wrong?

(i already contacted support of Ampify/Novation - the removal of the main features - import and slice - was a result of making their app "free" - and all of their "help" have been useless tipps like deleting app and redownload it, which indeed just deleted my work, and after this, the same useless crippled "free" version appears instead of the version and features i paid for)

I cannot say how much i am frustrated. I have learned to save the old ipa file before clicking "update", but this does not prevent me from making bad experiences.

Comments

• Yes I have the same feeling. Thus I try to keep one stable configuration and do some “deltas” by upgrading all the apps at once every 2-3 months although it is not simple. Too many options nowadays for a “stable” workflow. Looking at this forum doesn’t help in any way :p

• Most irritated situation is when an app that you use EVERY day stop working after an update...

I understand that it must be a lot of work to have a certain app run on all kind of iPads and different iOS/versions, but, irritating although...

• @Looping_Loddar said:
    1) Updating Blocs Wave: I paid for a full version and lost the main features after updating it

2) Updating Patterning (today): I lost all of my patterns, songs and drum kits

3) Minor program code changes generally result in downloads which are just too big, like complete programs including samples etc. - Apples iOS update policy is the clear opposite of smart, imho.

These are some reasons why i HATE it. Did i something wrong? Am i wrong?

(i already contacted support of Ampify/Novation - the removal of the main features - import and slice - was a result of making their app "free" - and all of their "help" have been useless tipps like deleting app and redownload it, which indeed just deleted my work, and after this, the same useless crippled "free" version appears instead of the version and features i paid for)

I cannot say how much i am frustrated. I have learned to save the old ipa file before clicking "update", but this does not prevent me from making bad experiences.

Thanks for the heads up with Patterning, I won’t update that then. I haven’t updated Blocs and Launchpad either, since they have a habit of making everything worse these days.

• edited April 2018

Blocs wave and launchpad latest updates are really nice. I am also hesitant sometimes to do updates, especially on apps essential to my workflow. The worst is when Apple update iOS and some apps don’t work as before, but some devs not update at all or it takes many months to fix. I think iOS needs multiple workflow capabilities, just in case...

• One of the things I like about Affinity on the desktop is the ability to install a previous version. Takes the stress out of hitting the update button, as I know I can go back if the new version doesn’t play nicely on my old PC

• edited April 2018

This is why I can never completely move to software based music creation, you’re always at the whim of some developer somewhere at least with hardware you know it should perform the task you purchased it for without a sudden update rendering it inert !

• This is why I try to never make my workflow dependant off no so often updated or already bugged apps. I use AUM a lot, and try to have several workflows too. In this case, iOS is reliable enough for me despite all those little or bigger issues.

• Just to be clear. Import and slice is still a feature in Blocs Wave. It’s only because the full version was updated and the non full version took its place- minus the IAP’s- including import and slice. So of you bought Blocs then added the IAP’s- you should be ok to update- correct?

• 3) Minor program code changes generally result in downloads which are just too big, like complete programs including samples etc. - Apples iOS update policy is the clear opposite of smart, imho.

Like the Auria demo song, which comes back with every update? Spent five minutes admiring how clever they were a couple of years ago and now I'm doomed to download and then delete it every time the app updates forever.

I also find presets that can't be deleted - I'm looking at you, Elastic Drums (but there are plenty of others) - really annoying.

• @robosardine said:
    Just to be clear. Import and slice is still a feature in Blocs Wave. It’s only because the full version was updated and the non full version took its place- minus the IAP’s- including import and slice. So of you bought Blocs then added the IAP’s- you should be ok to update- correct?

I bought Blocs Wave iaps and not full pro pack, and update went very well.

• As a Windows 10 user, I would have to concur.

• I agree that both app and iOS updates can be very counter-productive. But you're not forced to update, you just have to be careful to disable all auto-update settings.
    And make sure you always keep your ipa files of previous versions archived.
    While Apple likes to break existing APIs and by that render a number of apps malfunctioning, most app developers really take a lot of care to make the user experience as smooth as possible, and well, that naturally involves updates.

Nonetheless, iOS is still my touch-controlled "play and toy around" platform because I have to go back to my Intel Win or Mac machine often when I want to do some serious work without being forced down by a slow and often fiddly workflow.
    In theory, all is great with the many iOS DAWs, IAA and AUv3 plugins we have today, but compatibility issues and severe limitations in data exchange and integration with external gear still render the iOS platform miles away from desktop systems when it comes to music production.

That's not to say you couldn't do great compositions on the iPad of course. You don't need much to write good songs, and as a sketchpad, iDevices are unbeatable ;)

• edited April 2018

@robosardine said:
    Just to be clear. Import and slice is still a feature in Blocs Wave. It’s only because the full version was updated and the non full version took its place- minus the IAP’s- including import and slice. So of you bought Blocs then added the IAP’s- you should be ok to update- correct?

Wrong.

I bought and paid for a full version which had included slice and import feature. Yes, there was a time, when you have to pay for the full version of Blocs Wave. Yes, this was a time where some iAPs could be bought, but not for slice and import, which had been part of the full version. These features have been the very reasons i paid money for it.

I just don't have the need for a useless clip launcher. Haha: Paying money for Novation/Ampify and, some months after this, get a crippled version instead, where i have to pay for these features a second time.

Really good joke. So much fun!!

• edited April 2018

@LucidMusicInc said:
    As a Windows 10 user, I would have to concur.

Oh yes. How true. To make Win 10 usable you have to run around 30 junk-disabling registry hacks before you even start using it the first time :o

• I bought full version of Blocs before the IAPs and still have all features after the update so try to restore purchases.

• edited April 2018

@Looping_Loddar said:

@robosardine said:

Wrong.

I bought and paid for a full version which had included slice and import feature. Yes, there was a time, when you have to pay for the full version of Blocs Wave. Yes, this was a time where some iAPs could be bought, but not for slice and import, which had been part of the full version. These features have been the very reasons i paid money for it.

I just don't have the need for a useless clip launcher. Haha: Paying money for Novation/Ampify and, some months after this, get a crippled version instead, where i have to pay for these features a second time.

I bought the paid version at launch too. Slice and Import works here. Wonder why it ain't for you.

• @Looping_Loddar said:

@robosardine said:

Wrong.

As others said, this worked flawlessly:

Just try "Restore" in the upper right of the IAP shop.

• edited April 2018

@yowza said:
    I bought full version of Blocs before the IAPs and still have all features after the update so try to restore purchases.

Just don't work. Why? There is nothing to restore - the app only checks if i have bought some iAPs before. Of course, i never had. I never had any reason for buying iAPs because i am completely desinterested to get "sound packs" or such.

I had a working full version in 2017 (i bought it in January of 2017 for the GUI and fun with manipulating my own material) - and after update i just got a crippled version instead. After contacting support additionally all of my files and work is lost.

Yeah, so much fun!!

I know, for some user this great update policy from Novation/Ampify has worked "flawless". Not for me.

"We take your money and take away the features, too - yeah!!"

• @Looping_Loddar said:

@yowza said:
    I bought full version of Blocs before the IAPs and still have all features after the update so try to restore purchases.

Just don't work. Why? There is nothing to restore - the app only checks if i have bought some iAPs before. Of course, i never had. I never had any reason for buying iAPs because i am completely desinterested to get "sound packs" or such.

I had a working full version in 2017 (i bought it in January of 2017 for the GUI and fun with manipulating my own material) - and after update i just got a crippled version instead. After contacting support additionally all of my files and work is lost.

Yeah, so much fun!!

I know, for some user this great update policy from Novation/Ampify has worked "flawless". Not for me.

Just tell Novation support.

• @rs2000 said:

@Looping_Loddar said:

@yowza said:

Yeah, so much fun!!

I told them. They don't offer a solution. Maybe i should try a third time?

• @Looping_Loddar said:

@rs2000 said:

@Looping_Loddar said:

@yowza said:

Yeah, so much fun!!

BlocsWave started out as payware, so sending them a proof of your BlocsWave purchase date should be enough.

• Just updated Blocs on my phone, Slicer and audio input still working for me.

• @Looping_Loddar said:

@rs2000 said:

@Looping_Loddar said:

@yowza said:

Yeah, so much fun!!

Try like this @AmpifyxNovation.

But I’m also agreed with updates. About Ampify I will keep my hopes that they are fixing things... but my trust on their iPads apps (for live gigging) is gone. Too much glitch for my dub music :trollface:
    https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/24337/i-will-not-update-anymore/

• Could be that when the company or product changed hands (or whatever transition happened there) things got bungled for folks who came in around when you did. Keep the faith homie, I will light a candle for you and the others out there in the dark!

(Woah... just realised ‘Files’ support is here on import... cool, come on Gadget, pony up the Files now...)

• Always a good idea to save the .ipa install files to a seperate computer/hard drive for back up - i learnt this through past updating.

• @Looping_Loddar said:

so true.

regarding ios updates, i think apple is purposely crippling our ipads with these updates, so we would buy new and latest devices in order keep their business running and here we are enslave to their game.

updates should improve the performance of the device not the other way around. however, what's really happening is whenever they release an update, perfectly running devices/apps will now become buggy and sometimes unusable. programmers now who thought that they have finally perfected their apps will now have to re-encode again their apps in order to keep up with the update.

• edited April 2018

@stormbeats said:
    Always a good idea to save the .ipa install files to a seperate computer/hard drive for back up - i learnt this through past updating.

This only works with old itunes versions now unfortunately.

Anyone else have problems with the Patterning update?

• Perfectly working slice and audio import here too...

• edited April 2018

Hmmm, so I'm back to Blocs now.

What a handy workflow, particularly with two ipads. Great even. On 2017 iPad: Gadgets, BM3, AUs FX etc recording straight into iPadmini2: Blocs. When done jamming away and doing rudimentary slicing I can then airplay the stems from mini2: Blocs straight to 2017: Cubasis and take it from there.

How sweet is life?