Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Studiomux + Audiobus 3 Issues

Hi forumites,

I'm having an issue that I can't solve so I'm posting here in the hope that a wise soul may be able to help. Hours have already disappeared in trying to get this to work.

My intention is to use three iOS synths (iOS Moogs - Animoog, Model 15, Model D all on an iPhone 6) in my Macbook-based live rig as additional devices via Studiomux in Ableton Live 9 along with a diverse range of other MIDI and Audio VSTi. There are about 10 other VSTs running on individual tracks, all which can be toggled on/off via a midi controller. This may be primitive as a setup but it's just the way I've done things for now.

Almost all Mac based VST/AU work fine. Except Studiomux.

1st I tried making a MIDI track for each Studiomux/Moog instance - three in total. The MIDI on each track is routed in from an external MIDI generating VST. All audio from the MIDI tracks goes to the master output. The Studiomux tracks work - but they seem to tax the Macbook's CPU as I get all kinds of cracking and popping. Changing the buffer settings in either iOS or Mac does nothing to alleviate this at all.

So, I concluded that I may be better to run the three apps in an Audiobus patch and try to route them through Studiomux over a single channel to place the load on the iOS device. I could then mix/activate the 3 Moog apps via the Mixer screen in Audiobus 3. So I have 3 Moog Inputs + 3 Studiomux Outputs in the AB3 Audio settings. However, I cant get any iOS audio through Ableton with this routing. Yes, iPhone 6 is enabled in Audio MIDI Setup.

Am I missing something? Is there a 'best practice' for getting these apps to work together?

I really hope somebody can help as I'm stumped.

Comments

• edited April 2018

Studiomux don’t work very well in my experience, it’s pretty disappointing. Crackles everywhere with more than one audio flux. I used it with AUM as a mixer for various apps loaded as IAA in studiomux to have only one audio flux. Samplerate frequencies have to be the same on both devices, 48 kHz as you have an iPhone cause it will be forced to that one by internal speaker. Same for buffer latency settings, have to be the same on both machines. Recording audio in Ableton Live is an issue you will have to do corrections with markers because of big offset. Same for monitoring, there will be latency. I ended with buying a Behringer UCA222 audio interface with direct monitoring switch and that works much better than studiomux with Link, it’s a reliable and cheap solution.

• If you do a search on the forum you'll find more people with the same sort of issues.

The general solution is:

• at the very least use an external audio interface (you don't mention you use one)
    • if you're serious about integrating an iOS device, do a search on iConnectivity (iConnectAudio or iConnectMidi)

As to why it doesn't work in Audiobus, I have no idea. Did you restart the complete setup after switching from AUM?

• Thanks for the responses. Yes - I have googled this issue but couldn’t find any useful advice. After leaving the problem for a few hours I’ve concluded that (at least in theory) I can probably solve the problem by using IDAM and simply create an aggregate device to get independent iOS I/O channels. I’m also using an iRig HD Pro but I use various interfaces dependant on the project situation. This particular setup is meant to be ultra portable so I’d like to avoid using an additional interface if at all possible. Also, I’m quite sure that the sample rates matched but will double check that too when I’m back at my laptop. Thanks again.

• Damn, This app (Studiomux) is difficult. I have been able to get it to work sometimes...it seems the planets have to align for it to work perfectly. I've read everything I can on this app but fear I'm none the wiser.

Something that I really do not understand is this; if set up Audiobus 3 running the three Moog synth apps and connect another device as a wireless MIDI controller, I can play these synths with no issues and no audio crackles from the iPhone 6 internal speaker or headphones. It all works correctly.

But if I route this AB3 arrangement to Studiomux (on separate or individual channels) and assign my computer keyboard as the MIDI input in the Studiomux Generator VST (inside Ableton Live 10) I get garbage audio 90% of the time. Sometimes I get no audio at all.

Another method I tried initially looked promising. I set up three empty instances of Studiomux in Live. 1st I add Animoog to the 1st channel in the SM app. No problems. Next, Model 15 on the 2nd channel, no problem. Next Model D on the 3rd channel - Bam!, it breaks the audio. This also fails in the same way if I change the loading order of the Model15/D synth apps.

It seems like it should be so simple. I know they're high CPU apps and I only have an iPhone 6 but I mention again that they work via AB3 when Studiomux is not involved at all. Any thoughts on how to solve this without using an iConnect device? I have tried messing with matching/increasing sample rates to no avail.

• edited May 2018

You don't say if you have an audio interface connected to your PC/Mac (which?). Without more information about your set-up, it's quite difficult to try and diagnose your problem. Post some detailed information, and i will attempt to troubleshoot it for you...........

(Edit ) Just noticed you are using several different interfaces.........more info please.....

• Thanks, I think all the info is there but spread out over a couple of posts. It a very simple setup:

Stringed instrument/s -> iRig HD 2 (USB audio interface IN) -> Macbook Pro (MacOS High Sierra 10.13.4) w/ Ableton Live 10 -> iRig HD 2 (USB audio interface OUT) -> Monitors/Headphones

*Ableton sends MIDI out to the iPhone via USB -- an audio signal is returned via USB - this happens via the Studiomux Generator VST.

On a side note...
    In the last hour I have aggregated these two audio input sources in an attempt do away with having to use Studiomux. But Live 10 can't see the aggregate device inputs properly (a separate issue that I've contacted Ableton about). I'm no stranger to aggregate devices and this is weird. It is visible in Logic Pro X and all inputs are too. I wish Moog would just release these apps as VST/AU for Mac!

• Does the iRig HD 2 have it's own drivers? If so, what is the lowest buffer setting you can achieve on the Macbook in Ableton?

• edited May 2018

Ok, i just had a look at the iRig HD 2 manual, to get some idea of how it works. So the Irig is plugged into the Macbook is that correct?

• Going back to sleep very soon..........so if you need my help tonight please respond.......... :)

• Yes, iRig is plugged into the Macbook. It has no drivers. The buffer is usually set at 128 or 256 in Live 10. I have tried various buffer settings

• Ok, i think your problem is with the iRig HD 2........you need an audio interface with it's own dedicated drivers for this to work properly. Using the Macbooks' built in audio drivers isn't going to cut it. I would love to be proved wrong, and it's possible that i am, but i reckon you need a better audio interface. Something like a Focusrite 2i2 or something similar would do the job...........

• Thanks for the theory. Only problem is, it's the same with no interface (or any of the other interfaces I use for different projects). Even if I use just the iPhone and the computer I have the same problems with Studiomux :neutral:

• edited May 2018

You must be doing something wrong somewhere in your set-up. Works perfectly here with RME Babyface (1) & Focusrite 18i20 (1st gen). Has also worked for me with two much older Tascam units which i sold a while back.

"or any of the other interfaces I use" What other interfaces?
    I am using:
    PC/Win 10 (latest update) Ableton 10 , iPad Air 2 (11.3.1). iPad 4 10.3.3, iPhone 5c 10.3.3

• edited May 2018

Funny thing is that Studiomux recommend Asio4all drivers for Windows on its website. It’s the only app I have regrets to have buyed on iOS, I don’t use it at all as it just don’t works as advised. And sorry, can’t see the point to buy a new audio interface for this app when it’s possible to buy an iconnectaudio directly. And as being said thoses interfaces are not made for mobility. Already buyed a compact iRig pro io, it’s perfect for that usage.

• edited May 2018

Your right. It just doesn't work. It's a complete waste of money. Sorry for wasting your time. ;) B) :/

• edited May 2018

Just pointing the fact that if it works only with some audio interfaces, it should be noticed by dev. And he shouldn’t also advice for asio4all drivers when dedicated drivers seems to be the way to go. I buyed my iRig with mobility in mind, and because it’s compatible with most platforms. Reading before buying it dev statement about asio4all I thinked it should be ok with studiomux too. Ableton live 9 works perfectly with that setup at 64 buffers. But with studiomux I can use only one stream or it will crackles. When I load as a solution multiple audio source in AUM as studiomux unique input, things crackles quickly so I have to set latency at higher rates. And with Link, monitoring delay starts to be too much noticeable as there is no way in any iOS app including Studiomux or Ableton to introduce some compensation (ok it’s possible but over complicated in Ableton by changing all tracks delay and master delay with opposite values). As I don’t use my laptop that much and don’t want to invest in iconnectaudio interface, I ended to buy a Uca222 for that kind of purpose, as it has direct monitoring, works perfectly with Link and recordings are clean and synchronized. Note that dev never answered any of my mail.

• I should imagine the reason Zerodebug recommend asio4all on their website, is because it is the least worst option. In other words, some audio interfaces have rubbish drivers, so in that case, aiso4all will improve the situation. If you have a half decent interface, with drivers that are known to be OK, it will always be preferable to use those.
    Glad to hear you have sorted out a set-up that works for you.........happy music making! :)

• edited May 2018

Lol iRig Pro io doesn’t have dedicated windows drivers at all. iOS oriented. Glad to read you have greater success with Studiomux and your setup, happy music making too ;)

• The other interfaces are mostly guitar processors that have audio interface abilities.

-Axe-Fx II
    -Roland VG-99
    -Boss GP-10
    +
    -iConnectAudio4 (I haven’t attempted to use Studiomux with this as it’s not necessary)

All have drivers. Studiomux doesn’t care which interface I’m using, it just does what Studiomux does (or doesn’t) do!

• I thought I was going crazy. Studiomux completely stopped working. I tested it on Mac and on PC. Both completely dead I couldn’t get any MIDI in and only sporadically could get audio out. I tested it on an iPhone 6 and an iPhone 7+. No positive result. I tried aggregating with the other interfaces and IDAM with zero success. After more than 4 hours of messing around with this all I discovered a few things.

1. At least in my case IAA instruments do not work - ever!...but AU always work. Not much good.
    2. The only way to get an IAA instrument to work is to load an instance in AB3 with Output set to a Studiomux AB channel (no MIDI routing necessary). This was the only way I could get Animoog to work.
    3. As I have another program generating MIDI on the Mac/PC in Ableton, any signals need to be routed to the VST Studiomux Generator. In the past I could simply set my MIDI input and Audio output parameters on a single Track with no issues. Now I need a separate MIDI track to send my source to Studiomux@iphone port (I think that’s what it’s called???) and then I set ‘No Input’ on the VST track and set the audio tomwherever I want it to be routed.

Anybody else got the same situation? This is all very odd to me. It seems things have changed. I’m not sure if the app or server software have been updated since I began this thread - I’ve been dipping in and out of this problem. I’m glad I know how to make it work now but it really shouldn’t have been this hard.

• And with that, I’m done. iOS music production is pure novelty. It's a pity considering all the bucks spent on apps and gear -- not to mention the hours tweaking. My iOS devices will either be sold or relegated to functioning as pure MIDI controllers - at least they're somewhat reliable for those kind of applications.

• Forget studiomux and just use IDAM ... limited to one synth at a time but I doubt an iPhone 6 can run anything more than 1 Model D at once anyways.

Make sure it's fully uninstalled on your mac, I tried their free midimux and it installed some extension that broke my midi until removed.

For live performance use I'd ditch the phone completely and record all those parts to Live ahead of time.

• 1nsomniak, What you suggest is completely reasonable…depending on your use case. In my particular case, I wanted to use iOS synths as instruments triggered via MIDI from a Mac (guitar pitch-to-MIDI conversion is in place) where the iOS audio gets routed back to the Mac/interface. Therefore I must aggregate my iOS device with my audio interface to use IDAM. This sometimes works, sometimes doesn't. It's highly unreliable.

• @Vaultnaemsae said:
    1nsomniak, What you suggest is completely reasonable…depending on your use case. In my particular case, I wanted to use iOS synths as instruments triggered via MIDI from a Mac (guitar pitch-to-MIDI conversion is in place) where the iOS audio gets routed back to the Mac/interface. Therefore I must aggregate my iOS device with my audio interface to use IDAM. This sometimes works, sometimes doesn't. It's highly unreliable.

I've been using it w/out pause or issue for the past few years with Live & Mac/Windows- my whole rig depends on it. If you haven't given up totally yet, drop me a message.