Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Behringer model d as a midi controller

Before I go buy one has anyone used the Model D as a midi controller for lets say Moog Model D App ? From the looks of it it should work though USB but no confirmation anywhere on the web

Comments

• edited April 2018

I was wondering about this also. I’m skeptical because it says “MIDI thru” not MIDI out. Does it only pass thru other external MIDI or does it send it’s own MIDI???

Edit: but yeah, the USB midi suggests it would work. Go for it :smiley:

• It doesent have any digital control over its controls. If you want digital control and similar sound check out roland se-02. Its also a moog clone

• It says that the Model D will show as a class-compliant USB midi device which leads me to believe that it will work fine with IOS devices. I just ordered one from Musician's Friend ($239US with 20% off code I received in an email this morning).

• Oh dang, $239!!?? Worth it just as a controller.

• edited April 2018

I was interested in this too, but I think it just receives midi unfortunately.

although that diagram definitely does say midi out....so intrigued :)

• @Dham said:
    It says that the Model D will show as a class-compliant USB midi device which leads me to believe that it will work fine with IOS devices. I just ordered one from Musician's Friend ($239US with 20% off code I received in an email this morning).

please let us know sir

• @Shazamm said:

@Dham said:
    It says that the Model D will show as a class-compliant USB midi device which leads me to believe that it will work fine with IOS devices. I just ordered one from Musician's Friend ($239US with 20% off code I received in an email this morning).

please let us know sir

I will! Just received a shipment notification from MF, she's on her way:)

• @Shazamm said:
    Before I go buy one has anyone used the Model D as a midi controller for lets say Moog Model D App ? From the looks of it it should work though USB but no confirmation anywhere on the web

Have you tried the Model D app. with that Korg MS-20ic controller yet?

• edited April 2018

Data from the dials? Can't imagine that to be the case. Lovely sounding little mono tho. Just been playing a mates sub37. Ooh what a lovely filter

• @Shazamm said:

It doesn't have a keyboard.

• It doesnt send MIDI.

• Don't forget that this is an analog synth with analog controls.
    It's more like a Minimoog clone than many might expect by today's common VA products.
    I doubt that the knob positions are available digitally at all, the little beast has no presets so I see no point for behringer in "wasting money" for being able to digitally control the analog core. It's about half the price of the Roland.

• edited April 2018

@Dham said:

@Shazamm said:

Have you tried the Model D app. with that Korg MS-20ic controller yet?

nope not yet

• Not even Behringer is so stupid to digitize some 50 cheap potentiometer dials.
    Even if they were, it wouldn't be much fun to use for the constant hopping of values ;)

• No does not work as a midi controller. It’s not designed to be that way in order to emulate the tone of the Moog D as well as it does . As previously stated by ToMess you would need something like the SE02.

• You can find a bass station II used for close to the price of the Behringer. I'm thinking that would make an excellent controller for Model D. All controls send midi cc and the app even supports that high resolution stuff from the filter cutoff!!

• I must be missing something here but why on earth would you want to do that anyway? If you have a hardware synth, why not just play that?

• @ka010 said:
    I must be missing something here but why on earth would you want to do that anyway? If you have a hardware synth, why not just play that?

No question, but polyphony, presets and portability would be valid reasons.

• @BlueGreenSpiral said:
    You can find a bass station II used for close to the price of the Behringer. I'm thinking that would make an excellent controller for Model D. All controls send midi cc and the app even supports that high resolution stuff from the filter cutoff!!

no no no does even look close to a model d

• @ka010 said:
    I must be missing something here but why on earth would you want to do that anyway? If you have a hardware synth, why not just play that?

i give two turtle shits about hardware synths Im in the box but I want physical controls for my virtual synths. I like presets saving my sounds not trying hours to recreate one.

• edited April 2018

i bought a 1000 dollar sledge 2 black edition just because
    it layed out like a moog and it had midi cc. But the damn knobs were horrible

• i guess the SE 02 is my best bet I wanted something with bigger dials but Hey beggars cant be choosers lol

• @rs2000 said:

@ka010 said:

I get that but dropping a bunch of money on an actual hard synth just to use it a s midi controller still seems like a weird thing to do. Given the price of the behringer d, one could argue it's just as cheap as midi controller so I guess it would be cool if it worked.

@Shazamm said:

Well, if you're that serious about it why not get something custom made or even better, make one yourself?

Happy to help, if you need someone to help you get started.

• @ka010 said:

@rs2000 said:

@ka010 said:

I get that but dropping a bunch of money on an actual hard synth just to use it a s midi controller still seems like a weird thing to do. Given the price of the behringer d, one could argue it's just as cheap as midi controller so I guess it would be cool if it worked.

@Shazamm said:

Well, if you're that serious about it why not get something custom made or even better, make one yourself?

Well I totally loved the sledge 2 to as a synth more than a midi controller lol. it was digital so its basically a vst in a box lol. Im looking into have a model 15 controller. Also trying to make one myself using arduino

• @ka010 said:

@rs2000 said:

@ka010 said:

@Shazamm said:

Or a used Prophet-8 v1? Nice controls, subtractive layout, etc.

image Click for a larger version

http://www.davesmithinstruments.com/downloads/prophet_keyboard/doc/Prophet_08_Manual_v1.3.pdf for MIDI details.

• @syrupcore said:

@ka010 said:

@rs2000 said:

@ka010 said:

@Shazamm said:

http://www.davesmithinstruments.com/downloads/prophet_keyboard/doc/Prophet_08_Manual_v1.3.pdf for MIDI details.

that is stupid sexy but I cant disrespect Dave buy using it as a midi controller lol

• edited April 2018

I got quoted 3000 bucks for a replica model 15 midi controller i was like man I can build one for cheaper. I figured it would cost about 1500 if someone made it for me, I seen the one dude made one I offered to buy his or pay for him to make me one no response

• @ka010 said:
    [...]Given the price of the behringer d, one could argue it's just as cheap as midi controller so I guess it would be cool if it worked. [...]

That right there is the whole reason I was interested in this topic. Oh well, makes sense that it’s not possible.

• @Shazamm said:

@syrupcore said:

@ka010 said:

@rs2000 said:

@ka010 said:

@Shazamm said:

that is stupid sexy but I cant disrespect Dave buy using it as a midi controller lol

You could still use the synth.

I actually sent them an email a couple of years ago asking them to put out one that was 100% hollow. Just a really nice MIDI controller (with poly aftertouch, natch). Kind reply but 'no' was basically the answer. The layout is pretty much perfect. Would need a couple of switches in the OSC, Filter and ADSR section to allow for addressing synths with more than one filter or a third OSC, etc.