Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Question about iconnectivity devices

Hi Guys,

So confused.. I am basically looking at the audiopassthrough specs of the midi2+/4+ (don't want/need the audio version)

Basically I want to track 8ch of 24bit audio into my DAW - is this actually possible with these? Is it really 8 one-way streams or actually 4 i/o? Does 24bit settings cut channels in half?

Any clarifications would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Found out.. nope - studiomux does though, and for £10, with more channels!

• edited April 2018

@Smitherines said:
    Found out.. nope - studiomux does though, and for £10, with more channels!

studiomux is hella laggy for me though. its the main reason i got the Ica4+ later. gettin 16 channels of audio into my daw with next to no latency is a godsend.

• The ica4+ gives you 20 channels of audio between iPad and PC/Mac. You choose how many for each direction. It’s an incredible interface. A bit confusing to configure at first but nothing else can do some of the things it can do. And the MIDI hosting and routing is even more powerful.

• @gonekrazy3000 said:
    studiomux is hella laggy for me though. its the main reason i got the Ica4+ later.

Seconded.

• Haha - the love! Yes I take the latency point!

However - is this 20/16 channel count going to be the same specifically with the midi4+, for example? I'm only hestitant on the ica4 just because it lacks physical MIDI ports and ADAT which I ideally want for modular purposes..

• edited April 2018

another question; about the midi clock option:
    should it be set to internal or to one of usb ports?
    i have ica2+

• i don’t know about specs. but i’ve had the midi2+ since they started selling them, and it has never let me down. no added latency always fast and sound quality is perfect. i highly recommend

• Be careful about iConnectivity if you're doing more than just at-home or hobby work. Go take a look at the discussions on the forum at their site. You'll see that they have a history of breaking things via firmware updates, or getting broken via iOS updates, and being very unresponsive to the issues. They also pulled their original config software from the iTunes store in an attempt to force everyone over to their new but very incomplete config software (which by the way, will zap your current config and make you discover that the ability to save/recall configs is not very reliable).

I have owned an iCA4+ for a couple of years, and when I've recovered from the kind of bumps mentioned above, it is a cool device. But if you are gigging, you should look elsewhere. You're kinda participating in the R&D of a slow-response company when you buy in to one of their devices.

And just as another example, their support guy just admitted that he had never even heard of AUM, much less tested with it, on the forum about a week ago.

Just my 2 cents.

• I've used my ICA4+ live for the last 2 years without a problem. Once they got past the IOS9 issues that were caused more by Apple changes, things have been stable for me.

As with any app, or device with firmware control - any update needs to be well tested with your particular configuration for live use.

In my case, there is almost no other device that can handle my particular rig needs.

• @Uncledig said:
    Be careful about iConnectivity if you're doing more than just at-home or hobby work. Go take a look at the discussions on the forum at their site. You'll see that they have a history of breaking things via firmware updates, or getting broken via iOS updates, and being very unresponsive to the issues. They also pulled their original config software from the iTunes store in an attempt to force everyone over to their new but very incomplete config software (which by the way, will zap your current config and make you discover that the ability to save/recall configs is not very reliable).

I have owned an iCA4+ for a couple of years, and when I've recovered from the kind of bumps mentioned above, it is a cool device. But if you are gigging, you should look elsewhere. You're kinda participating in the R&D of a slow-response company when you buy in to one of their devices.

And just as another example, their support guy just admitted that he had never even heard of AUM, much less tested with it, on the forum about a week ago.

Just my 2 cents.

This is why I keep waiting on this device. Like @rad3d , I think it's the only device that will meet my live needs, but yeah, I don't need issues when playing live...

• @MarkR said:
    This is why I keep waiting on this device. Like @rad3d , I think it's the only device that will meet my live needs, but yeah, I don't need issues when playing live...

I'd say no worries. As long as you'll stay on a stable version when you're depending on it.

Which in my humble opinion is true for all software. How many experienced people will update their DAW in the middle of an important project?

I also don't see why the support people should know about all iOS apps. As long as it's iPad compatible... And it is in my experience. I'm using it almost exclusively with AUM.

• @Smitherines said:
    Haha - the love! Yes I take the latency point!

However - is this 20/16 channel count going to be the same specifically with the midi4+, for example? I'm only hestitant on the ica4 just because it lacks physical MIDI ports and ADAT which I ideally want for modular purposes..

I'm pretty sure the midi4+ is limited to 8 audio channels.

• @LeonLeroy said:
    another question; about the midi clock option:
    should it be set to internal or to one of usb ports?
    i have ica2+

Midi clock? Aren't you looking at the Audio options?

• @Uncledig said:
    ... You'll see that they have a history of breaking things via firmware updates, or getting broken via iOS updates, and being very unresponsive to the issues. They also pulled their original config software from the iTunes store in an attempt to force everyone over to their new but very incomplete config software (which by the way, will zap your current config and make you discover that the ability to save/recall configs is not very reliable).

I have owned an iCA4+ for a couple of years, and when I've recovered from the kind of bumps mentioned above, it is a cool device.

@rthr said:
    I'd say no worries. As long as you'll stay on a stable version when you're depending on it.

So which is the most stable firmware version for the ICA4+?

And which version of the iOS control app works best?

This kind of information could be very helpful for others too.

• @rs2000 said:

@Uncledig said:
    ... You'll see that they have a history of breaking things via firmware updates, or getting broken via iOS updates, and being very unresponsive to the issues. They also pulled their original config software from the iTunes store in an attempt to force everyone over to their new but very incomplete config software (which by the way, will zap your current config and make you discover that the ability to save/recall configs is not very reliable).

I have owned an iCA4+ for a couple of years, and when I've recovered from the kind of bumps mentioned above, it is a cool device.

@rthr said:

I use iOS 11.3 with no issues. Don't use the iOS config app at all since the PC app does all I want. My main purpose for the interface was to tunnel audio to my PC so the iOS app being missing doesn't affect me whatsoever.

• edited April 2018

I'm selling my 2+ in the marketplace here. I literally didn't use it aside from testing it out when I first bought it several years ago. I respect it a lot and it worked perfectly but just never found its way into my workflow. It comes with the standard cables. The device to computer cable is 30 pin so needs camera connection kit adapter if you have lightning.

• I’m on the latest 2.03 for ica4+ without issues. It apparently fixes the problem with iOS where you would sometimes have to replug the usb hub to recognize your class-compliant MIDI devices when switching host apps.

Still though I cannot figure out how to have it show the names of my MIDI devices on the virtual host ports (in AUM MIDI sources) even though I’ve named them manually in iConfig.

Also note that iConfig for iOS doesn’t give you all the functionality that the Mac/PC app does.

Oh and this is IMPORTANT! You must have your Mac/PC connected to the iPad port (Port 1) to update the firmware.

• @rs2000 said:

Latest firmware and iOS work fine for me too. I use the Mac for iConfig.

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/comment/478066/#Comment_478066

• edited April 2018

Thanks guys - I settled on the midi2+ device to start - got a motu 8a for audio/adat duties on the way too!

• Thanks @all for the useful info :)