Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

What do you think about Soundcloud?

Its always been a staple but Im skeptical of its future.

Seems like its been in the edge of bankrupsy for a few years now and not getting any better.

They removed groups which was my main way to discover and promote there.

Im running low on upload space so checked their pay plans and the most basic one with partial features is $9 a month, this seems like a big rip off, no wonder people just open multiple free ones. ICloud is only $1 a month. Anyone here paying for SC? Id give them money if it was more reasonable.

They are also trying to run a consumer streaming service for $15/mo! Who would buy that over a proper service like Spotify?

I think my plan moving forward is move side projects to free SC accounts but mainly switch my posting to Youtube. YT has a much bigger audience potential plus I can make quickie videos now with wizibel and other apps. Final projects on band camp if I ever finish them.

Overall none of these are fully trustworthy so spreading across platforms is essential, any other ones worth checking out?

Comments

• edited April 2018

Soundcloud was the place to be until they got rid of the groups. It's taken the social element away and while some apps have their "feeds" a solid 90% of what you'll hear are badly out of tune unfinished beats... no offence to new musicians, but generally speaking it's just noise.

SC groups were great because they could be moderated and you could find other group users and follow them, expand your network through them etc. Then SC dropped that.

So I stopped using SC completely this year and I'm putting all my efforts into Bandcamp and YouTube. Bandcamp has improved a lot with their new apps so listeners can browse genres and tags and follow artists.

Somehow YouTube has improved their uploading and conversion speed making it a competitive platform.

Both completely free with monetisation options. Why look anywhere else?

The money you could spend on a SC subscription you could just pay a distribution agency to license your work and get it on Spotify and Apple Music. SC is just idiotic at this point.

• It still good for share demos since everyone is still using it......otherwise it‘s garbage.
    I also miss the groups and some other things.
    They made a f....... facebook clone out of it!
    I would feeld bad for employees of course but the truth is i wouldn‘t miss it.

• I use subscription SC to post music.

I guess I’ve built up followers and I’m too lazy to move.

• I really dislike SC. Once the clip I'm listening to ends, some other random clip starts automatically. Occasionally it's good; more often it's some godawful rap garbage. Either way, I have no idea what it is or what account it's coming from. Because of this idiotic feature, I rarely stay on SC for more than one song before leaving.

• edited April 2018

I liked it more before they removed Groups, but it’s still a good place to find unusual music. I don’t pay, I just delete old stuff when it gets full, so can’t complain really.

When I get myself sorted I’ll put some stuff on Bandcamp and Spotify as well. Can’t be arsed with YouTube, the search results are too skewed.

• @Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:
    I really dislike SC. Once the clip I'm listening to ends, some other random clip starts automatically. Occasionally it's good; more often it's some godawful rap garbage. Either way, I have no idea what it is or what account it's coming from. Because of this idiotic feature, I rarely stay on SC for more than one song before leaving.

I hate that and it gets worse, yesterday a good song actually came up next on the app so I clicked on the artist to check their page...nope, not linked, in fact there was no link anywhere to the artist. I had to rush to jump to another screen that had it linked before the player advanced to the next track.(incidently it turned out to be someone who was on this forum 2 yrs ago)

• I’m of two minds re: SoundCloud. Like most, years back it was tremendous; a way to put your music up & a place to discover new talent, etc. But as with any human endeavor involving money they attained some success, got the big head & made a lot of very poor decisions.

For my stuff I still have my original account and a newer one that I use to test streaming’s effect on mixes & to set to private works in progress, experiments, etc. to listen to in addition to other music file platforms. I think the Pro account option is too expensive; for the additional stats and storage $15 is a bit steep. The middle tier may be an option I’d try.

I do at the moment subscribe to the GO+ Music service, their version of Spotify, Pandora, etc. I’ve had most of the music services at one time or another and me & the wife get Amazon Prime so we have access to their Prime Music & video stuff. The reason I get the GO+ service (it’s $10 monthly) is they have a real good catalog; not only stuff like The Who, Bowie, Beck, artists on the charts today, but they’ll have some really hep hard to find stuff too like old Louie Bellson big band records and weird German electronica.

I go month to month deciding if I’ll renew it, supposedly there’s some deal where if you get the $15 Pro subscription they knock the price of the GO+ service down to $1.99 from 9.99. But once again, for me, it’s still asking way too much dough for what they’re providing. I’m suprised they’re still going as strong as they are with all the problems they’ve had. At root it’s a good idea and really levels the playing field a bit for musicians worldwide, but the execution has been nutty as a squirrel turd....don’t make no sense I’m sayin’ to ya boy.

• My biggest issue with Soundcloud is that for a platform designed around sharing your music, it does terrible things to the actual music. Their encoding is some of the worst sounding out there, and leads to all sorts of unexpected sound-quality issues for many of my clients.

• edited April 2018

@MonzoPro said:
    I liked it more before they removed Groups, but it’s still a good place to find unusual music. I don’t pay, I just delete old stuff when it gets full, so can’t complain really.

When I get myself sorted I’ll put some stuff on Bandcamp and Spotify as well. Can’t be arsed with YouTube, the search results are too skewed.

I don’t know what it is but my stuff sounds ‘right’ on SC but there is some terrible high end swimmy noise from Youtube.

• More trending tracks. More of your favorite artists. More of the music & audio you love. The SoundCloud app lets you hear more of what you want to hear. Sounds good, doesn’t it?

• edited September 2019

I don't like the way it often forces you to install the app before playing stuff.
    Just let me hear the song!

I'm a bit biased because lifetime larger storage in my free account.
    Still remember when this was first floated as a potential idea on the Ableton forum.
    Not sure if the original founders are still in control?

• Very happy with SoundCloud. Posted over 130 tracks, nary a problem. Costs less than $10 a month for unlimited posting.

• @Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:
    I really dislike SC. Once the clip I'm listening to ends, some other random clip starts automatically. Occasionally it's good; more often it's some godawful rap garbage. Either way, I have no idea what it is or what account it's coming from. Because of this idiotic feature, I rarely stay on SC for more than one song before leaving.

Same here. Also, I dislike the UX and navigation.

• Sound cloud is best for listening/ downloading songs.

• edited November 2019

Their support is fanatic. Recently, they assigned MobileMusic username to my account upon my request within days. However, their application does not redirect from old username (PowerObject) to new username for the links already shared online before :neutral:

• They’ve messed around with the UI again, showing ‘top’ tracks first, instead of a latest list.

If it’s not broke...

• I use SC for listening to new music. I appreciate the Discover feature (or what's its name, the lightning thing), but their algo seems off. I keep hearing the same tracks, or then very similar-sounding music. And since people don't post that much nowadays, listening to the stream is boring. And when you repost something you like while listening on your phone, you get to hear the same track again. All in all, it's a frustrating experience. Still, I find so much wonderful music because of it. Sometimes I use Bandcamp, but it has its problems too when it comes to continous listening with the intent of finding new stuff. For releasing stuff, both are fine I guess. I operate a few podcasts for clients via SC, works, no problems.