PSA: Don't update to iOS 12.4 if you use apps in AB output slot or IAA apps that use the mic.
https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/34030/urgent-psa-hold-off-updating-to-ios-12-4-if-you-use-apps-in-output-slot-in-audiobus

I did a latency test of a lot of small portable speakers - JBL, Sony, Ue, Phillips etc... :)

Connected a 3,5mm jack from a Macbook Air to the speakers and put them next to the internal mic and recorded a ping through them to Logic pro X......I put the fastest ones in the top and the most laggy ones on the bottom..

The last two digits in the timeline are ms - so looking at the chart you can see how much latency the different speakers had on my system.

For me the best speaker was Marshall Stockwell which performed better than the internal MacbookSpeaker. The rest were pretty late....

All the best

Comments

• That is an interesting test. I had no idea there was so much difference in plain speaker latency. Also, those waveforms look kind of trashed for everything except the internal speaker and the Beats Pill. Am I reading that correctly? Can you hear a noticeable difference in quality when you play back the recorded waveforms?

• I was in a store so I turned up the output volume on the speakers which clipped the Internal mic. The waveforms are only usable to view in regards to their starting points, and I as I had a feeling when playing through them - they had a lot of latency....

So far the only ones I have found to have near zero latency has been
    Marshall Stockwell
    Minirig (semi harsh sounding)
    Iloud - ( super harsh sounding)

:)

• This just increases my drool for those Marshall portables. They are gorgeous, the Woburn looks amazing.

• So is it because the speakers are self-amplified that is causing latency? Passive speakers shouldn’t produce any noticeable latency, right?

• Very useful test, thanks for doing this! I have been shocked by the latency of the portable speakers I have here (both Bose)--this shows objectively just how bad it is. LOL at Orion.

• @Hmtx said:
    This just increases my drool for those Marshall portables. They are gorgeous, the Woburn looks amazing.

Yeah, but not battery powered, right?

• edited April 2018

@lukesleepwalker said:
    Yeah, but

Bro, the Woburn is 90W and battery powered! you’re right :/

• @CracklePot said:
    So is it because the speakers are self-amplified that is causing latency? Passive speakers shouldn’t produce any noticeable latency, right?

Very interesting test!
    I believe most Bluetooth capable speakers count on internal sound cards to help restore fidelity to the lossy nature of Bluetooth. My guess here, as I’ve suspected from the “little” speakers I’ve owned, is that even the line input passes through this circuitry in some models. Perhaps the Marshall is wire so that that signal goes straight to the power stage and speakers... hmmmm

• edited April 2018

My JBL Xtreme doesn't have latency via the AUX in as far as I can tell. I returned a Megaboom because it had terrible latency. Pretty sure the Flip 4 does not have latency via the AUX in either so not sure what's going on with your test.

• @Hmtx said:

@lukesleepwalker said:
    Yeah, but

Bro, the Woburn is 90W and battery powered! you’re right :/

Boo!

• I have a Marshall Stanmore that is really quite impressive and certainly attractive (looks badass and adorable at the same time on top of my Pignose Hog) but when I’m not using headphones or the big PA, I tend to use Bose Soundlink (2? It’s a few years old) as it works fine for me and is battery powered, though I do plug in instead of Bluetooth.

• Weird, all the speakers with latency must do an analog to digital conversion, and run some sort of dsp (eq probably?)on the audio. The nice thing about analog processors and amplifiers is they react instantly.

• @Processaurus said:
    Weird, all the speakers with latency must do an analog to digital conversion, and run some sort of dsp (eq probably?)on the audio. The nice thing about analog processors and amplifiers is they react instantly.

Indeed that seems to be the case. Complex EQ corrections might be cheaper when done in the digital domain today.
    Very interesting test, thank you @xmortenx !

• @BroCoast said:
    My JBL Xtreme doesn't have latency via the AUX in as far as I can tell. I returned a Megaboom because it had terrible latency. Pretty sure the Flip 4 does not have latency via the AUX in either so not sure what's going on with your test.

+1 for the Xtreme. I do remember comparing it to one of the smaller ones and noticing some latency on that, not sure if it was a flip or a charge, though.