Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Updates to Navichord today 2/4/18

Comments

• Ah......kind of but I think Cracklepot might have something. I guess what I was trying to is something that can already be done in Cubasis, then just have those recorded chords playback whatever instrument I want. I guess just use Navichord pre specified chords and record those in realtime into Cubasis. I just love the idea of playing Bass and Pads in realtime.

• I might have to do a video. :D

• @MusicMan4Christ said:
    I might have to do a video. :D

Please :)

• edited April 2018

Bummer I just did one during lunch but I played it back it only recorded when I had Cubasis on the front as soon as I went to Navichord the audio on the video went out :(

Really nice song too bummer. It was done in realtime with Navichord triggering Step Poly Arp Via midi to trigger Bass using Bs-16i in Cubasis, Navichord triggered pads, Poison-202, in Cubasis and drums by Drum Session, melody was guitar in Sampletank 2 being played with Navichord onscreen keyboard all at once being triggered by Navichord into Cubasis.

I’ll try again but might have to do it at home with iPhone and iPad.

@Navichord said:

@MusicMan4Christ said:
    I might have to do a video. :D

Please :)

• More than anything right now, I’d really like the ability to switch off the sync start in Navichord while maintaining the IAA sidepanel to remote Start/Stop Cubasis or DAW. This would be soooooo awesome! Please?

• @MusicMan4Christ said:
    More than anything right now, I’d really like the ability to switch off the sync start in Navichord while maintaining the IAA sidepanel to remote Start/Stop Cubasis or DAW. This would be soooooo awesome! Please?

Sure, no problem :smile: )

• @MusicMan4Christ said:
    More than anything right now, I’d really like the ability to switch off the sync start in Navichord while maintaining the IAA sidepanel to remote Start/Stop Cubasis or DAW. This would be soooooo awesome! Please?

If you put the count-in to 4 bars in Cubasis, it gives you plenty of time to switch via the taskbar when recording Navichord in standalone mode. You can try this until you can actually turn off host transport control in Navichord.

• And while in "it would be nice if..." mode is there a possibility we could have some means whereby we can simply enter in a chord for a pad by playing it in via a keyboard ?

NC could then ( ideally ) guess via algorithm what the Root or chord is - or maybe we just select the root and basic chord type first - but as soon as the final chord gets entered in via MIDI keyboard NC can work out what the voicing is and pic the correct name and readjust the voicing grid to match the chord played in?

This would in many situations be a faster way to enter chord progressions.

• @nonchai said:
    And while in "it would be nice if..." mode is there a possibility we could have some means whereby we can simply enter in a chord for a pad by playing it in via a keyboard ?

NC could then ( ideally ) guess via algorithm what the Root or chord is - or maybe we just select the root and basic chord type first - but as soon as the final chord gets entered in via MIDI keyboard NC can work out what the voicing is and pic the correct name and readjust the voicing grid to match the chord played in?

This would in many situations be a faster way to enter chord progressions.

It is possible already:

• Play a chord, then release
    • The chord is detected
    • You can assign your chord to a pad using the plus button next to the chord name (+)
  • @Navichord said:

It is possible already:

• Play a chord, then release
    • The chord is detected
    • You can assign your chord to a pad using the plus button next to the chord name (+)

WOW! thanks. didnt know that.
    will defy try that out

• edited April 2018

@Navichord said:

• The chord is detected

but does NC also take into account the voicing ? for example if the root isn't being played in the bass - or if the root ir one octave below the remaining notes etc?

( for example open voicing instead of closed )

[ EDIT - i think i get it now - ignore - ill report back if i think it could be improved ( of course ) ]

• @Navichord - thanks for fixing the ROOT transpose bug ( where the voicings and octve registers got lost )
    but i'm now noticing that theres a similar issue when one does a minor change of chord type - for example when changing an existing chord+voicing from a min9 to a min13.

Would be cool if this could be fixed too.

• @nonchai said:
    @Navichord - thanks for fixing the ROOT transpose bug ( where the voicings and octve registers got lost )
    but i'm now noticing that theres a similar issue when one does a minor change of chord type - for example when changing an existing chord+voicing from a min9 to a min13.

Would be cool if this could be fixed too.

Thanks, I will check that.

• @Navichord said:

@bleep said:
    Nice update.

@Navichord would it be possible in a setting to have the solo keyboard follow this jazzy scale logic?

Navichord already has basic mapping for major and minor scales (autoscale), it is totally possible to extend to other chord types. The limitation is, there will be only one scale type per chord type. Thanks for the idea.

@Navichord
    Is there a tutorial or video for how this works? So it does modulations automatically? Can you set up a chord progression and have it not play the chords but just scale lock the midi in and follow modulations of the progression?

• edited April 2018

@SealTeamSick said:

@Navichord said:

@bleep said:
    Nice update.

@Navichord would it be possible in a setting to have the solo keyboard follow this jazzy scale logic?

Navichord already has basic mapping for major and minor scales (autoscale), it is totally possible to extend to other chord types. The limitation is, there will be only one scale type per chord type. Thanks for the idea.

@Navichord
    Is there a tutorial or video for how this works? So it does modulations automatically? Can you set up a chord progression and have it not play the chords but just scale lock the midi in and follow modulations of the progression?

Not exactly.
    Let's take a simple progression C,G,D,A
    If Autoscale is enabled, Navichord will change scale visually to C major, G, major, D major, A major
    If [Scale/Lock-scale-to-white-keys] is enabled it will change scale visually and map input C major keys to C major, G major, D major, A major

So, if you melody is written in C major, it will follow scale changes. Scale change will happen on every chord. Chords can be muted in [Audio/Volume].

You can grab free Navichord Lite and try. There is no MIDI, but the mapping will be the same as shown on the piano keyboard in the app. You could play a simple melody and check if it behaves the way you expect.

• I really like Navichord, been using it quite a bit, and like others have stated here,
    I'm finding that all the chords start to sound sound stiff (and therefor unnatural).

Nobody really plays a chord and every finger in the chord is played at exactly the same moment. Some fingers play late in the chord, some early (like roots)

So to be able to play a chord where each finger/note of the chord is captured exactly as it is played.
    Basically - every pad would need to be a midi chord recorder for a few seconds.

This may be a big ask, but I am finding every chord has the same attack response as every note is triggered in any chord is at exactly the same point in time.

But would also be a massive bonus to save the same chords with varying finger timings (and velocity info)

• @Mayo said:
    I really like Navichord, been using it quite a bit, and like others have stated here,
    I'm finding that all the chords start to sound sound stiff (and therefor unnatural).

Nobody really plays a chord and every finger in the chord is played at exactly the same moment. Some fingers play late in the chord, some early (like roots)

So to be able to play a chord where each finger/note of the chord is captured exactly as it is played.

This may be a big ask, but I am finding every chord has the same attack response as every note is triggered in any chord is at exactly the same point in time.

But would also be a massive bonus to save the same chords with varying finger timings (and velocity info)

That's called "Strum," and it's available in apps like Thor, GarageBand and ChordPolyPad.

• @LucidMusicInc said:

@Mayo said:
    I really like Navichord, been using it quite a bit, and like others have stated here,

That's called "Strum," and it's available in apps like Thor, GarageBand and ChordPolyPad.

I was thinking that a traditional KB is what is being described here. Like, if you need all of that independent control and timing, why are you using a chord pad player. Chord pad players are for simplified chord triggering with one or two fingers. Regular KB have support for 10 fully independent fingers already, for what you are describing.

Not trying to be mean or sarcastic at all. :)
    Sometimes I do the same thing, wishing there was a way to do something I am thinking of, but end up looking for new ways and forgetting about the existing tools I sometimes take for granted.

This may not even be what you are after, but your description of desired features made me think to suggest a regular ol’ KB and turn off quantizing in the recording app. B)

• I agree. This app is so amazingly simple to use yet very deep in functionality; backed by awesome dev!
    I realized it’s perfect the way it’s designed.

@CracklePot said:

@LucidMusicInc said:

@Mayo said:

I was thinking that a traditional KB is what is being described here. Like, if you need all of that independent control and timing, why are you using a chord pad player. Chord pad players are for simplified chord triggering with one or two fingers. Regular KB have support for 10 fully independent fingers already, for what you are describing.

Not trying to be mean or sarcastic at all. :)
    Sometimes I do the same thing, wishing there was a way to do something I am thinking of, but end up looking for new ways and forgetting about the existing tools I sometimes take for granted.

This may not even be what you are after, but your description of desired features made me think to suggest a regular ol’ KB and turn off quantizing in the recording app. B)

• @CracklePot said:
    Regular KB have support for 10 fully independent fingers already, for what you are describing.

So, regular keyboards are are multi-touch! B)

• @Mayo said:

Thanks for the input.
    I think pattern arpeggiator would be more useful than direct MIDI recording. Fixed styles at first, then user editor.
    This is the direction I'm following for now.

• @Navichord said:

@Mayo said:

Thanks for the input.
    I think pattern arpeggiator would be more useful than direct MIDI recording. Fixed styles at first, then user editor.
    This is the direction I'm following for now.

This would be great!

• another thing - in some of the chords - such as dom7 #11 ( or b5 ) you have included the natural 5th as well.

Most often when a flat 5 is in the chord name it means a b5 INSTEAD of a natural 5. ( so both cannot coexist in the same chord )

• edited April 2018

@Navichord - One thing i'm really hoping for ( and maybe being worked in by the dev. right now dunno ) is the addition of a seperate bass part/output.

This would come in particularly useful when wanting to really nail down the bass part, triggering a seperate arpeggiator, and also - be useful for slash-chord type voicings. being able to literally effectively put down a melodic line for the bass ( IE fising the octave range and being able to decide whether the next bass note goes UP or DOWN from the previous one to the nearest desired note ) would be great.

And if youre adding an arpeggiator anyway - having a seperate arpeggiator - or even just a transposable pattern-player - a seperate bass part with its own arp/riff-player comes into its own.

• @nonchai said:
    @Navichord - One thing i'm really hoping for ( and maybe being worked in by the dev. right now dunno ) is the addition of a seperate bass part/output.

This would come in particularly useful when wanting to really nail down the bass part, triggering a seperate arpeggiator, and also - be useful for slash-chord type voicings. being able to literally effectively put down a melodic line for the bass ( IE fising the octave range and being able to decide whether the next bass note goes UP or DOWN from the previous one to the nearest desired note ) would be great.

And if youre adding an arpeggiator anyway - having a seperate arpeggiator - or even just a transposable pattern-player - a seperate bass part with its own arp/riff-player comes into its own.

Thanks, it makes sense.
    I will do a poll for features to get everyone's inputs.

• edited May 2018

@nonchai said:
    another thing - in some of the chords - such as dom7 #11 ( or b5 ) you have included the natural 5th as well.

Most often when a flat 5 is in the chord name it means a b5 INSTEAD of a natural 5. ( so both cannot coexist in the same chord )

dom7 #11 is the only chord I see with a natural 5 and a flat 5 at the same time, do you see more?

• NAVICHORD - Version 2.6.815 May 2018
    Now so so much better:

IAA transport and clock disable options
    Keep chord voicing for all picker columns - YAY!!! thank you thank you !!
    New AutoScale mode - change root keeping current scale

• YAY!!! thank you thank you !!

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU !!! !

• edited May 2018

@nonchai said:
    NAVICHORD - Version 2.6.815 May 2018
    Now so so much better:

IAA transport and clock disable options
    Keep chord voicing for all picker columns - YAY!!! thank you thank you !!
    New AutoScale mode - change root keeping current scale

• YAY!!! thank you thank you !!

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU !!! !

Yes it’s a very nice update. This app is essential and forms a very nice combo with Xequence drum map for velocity controlled chords to any app.

What « Keep chord voicing for all picker columns » does exactly?

• Navichord is and will be my all time favorite Chord app! Thanks for a great update and for putting through the sync option! Wow, awesome developer!