Updates to Navichord today 2/4/18

Thanks for implementing all those suggestions Mr Navichord.

It means I’ll start using it much more now that issue with roots/voicing has been addressed.

«1

Comments

  • 56 Comments sorted by Date Votes
  • Does Navichord have midi file export? I don’t see it listed in app description.

  • A quick question: when loaded inside AUM, chord progression always play by itself, and if I stop it it proceed again and again. I don’t want that as I don’t use it for its song mode but only for triggering chords via midi. How can I avoid that behavior, I don’t find any option in Navichord. Is it IAA sync?

  • @nonchai said:
    Thanks for implementing all those suggestions Mr Navichord.

    It means I’ll start using it much more now that issue with roots/voicing has been addressed.

    YOU mean you can choose the bass note with ease now?

  • Thank you @nonchai!

    @SpookyZoo said:
    Does Navichord have midi file export? I don’t see it listed in app description.

    There is no MIDI export.

    @Janosax said:
    I don’t find any option in Navichord. Is it IAA sync?

    Yes, it is. Currently there is no option to disable, but it would certainly be useful. I will add it in future versions.

  • @hisdudeness said:

    @nonchai said:
    Thanks for implementing all those suggestions Mr Navichord.

    It means I’ll start using it much more now that issue with roots/voicing has been addressed.

    YOU mean you can choose the bass note with ease now?

    Can you say what was uneasy for choosing the bass note?

  • To get > @Navichord said:

    @hisdudeness said:

    @nonchai said:
    Thanks for implementing all those suggestions Mr Navichord.

    It means I’ll start using it much more now that issue with roots/voicing has been addressed.

    YOU mean you can choose the bass note with ease now?

    Can you say what was uneasy for choosing the bass note?

    in notes/circle mode.. to get FOUR note chord, I used to hold one finger on bass, then change octave, and with first finger still held, select triad with second finger, and then with third finger select the + icon

  • @Navichord
    Brilliant update! Thanks a lot for implementing this!
    You should set up a virtual tip jar somewhere ...

  • @hisdudeness said:
    To get > @Navichord said:

    Can you say what was uneasy for choosing the bass note?

    in notes/circle mode.. to get FOUR note chord, I used to hold one finger on bass, then change octave, and with first finger still held, select triad with second finger, and then with third finger select the + icon

    Ok I see, you are talking about having multiple octaves in the grid/circles view. Today it is single octave wrapped.
    With current design this view is not large enough for multiple octaves.

    So, there is no new way of entering bass in this update in the grid view. For your flow I would recommend to save a chord with 'wrong' voicing from the grid and change it in the next screen with pads.

  • @Navichord said:

    @hisdudeness said:
    To get > @Navichord said:

    Can you say what was uneasy for choosing the bass note?

    in notes/circle mode.. to get FOUR note chord, I used to hold one finger on bass, then change octave, and with first finger still held, select triad with second finger, and then with third finger select the + icon

    Ok I see, you are talking about having multiple octaves in the grid/circles view. Today it is single octave wrapped.
    With current design this view is not large enough for multiple octaves.

    So, there is no new way of entering bass in this update in the grid view. For your flow I would recommend to save a chord with 'wrong' voicing from the grid and change it in the next screen with pads.

    thanks.. but I did not get this

    "save a chord with 'wrong' voicing from the grid and CHANGE it in the next screen with PADS"

  • edited April 3 Vote Up0

    @hisdudeness said:

    "save a chord with 'wrong' voicing from the grid and CHANGE it in the next screen with PADS"

    I've made a quick video, hope it helps:

  • @nick said:
    @Navichord
    Brilliant update! Thanks a lot for implementing this!
    You should set up a virtual tip jar somewhere ...

    Haha, thanks :)

  • thanks so much

  • edited April 3 Vote Up0

    Hey good friend! Thanks fo the update it rocks!

    Having the option to disable sync start would rock! And it will truly make it way more versatile when only wanting to play jeysband chords vs Song Mode.

    Thanks for looking into it. :)

    @Navichord said:
    Thank you @nonchai!

    @SpookyZoo said:
    Does Navichord have midi file export? I don’t see it listed in app description.

    There is no MIDI export.

    @Janosax said:
    I don’t find any option in Navichord. Is it IAA sync?

    Yes, it is. Currently there is no option to disable, but it would certainly be useful. I will add it in future versions.

  • CHORD VOICING!!

    Sorry, got a little excited there...

  • @Janosax said:
    A quick question: when loaded inside AUM, chord progression always play by itself, and if I stop it it proceed again and again. I don’t want that as I don’t use it for its song mode but only for triggering chords via midi. How can I avoid that behavior, I don’t find any option in Navichord. Is it IAA sync?

    For now, if you just load Navichord as standalone instead of hosting in AUM, it will not auto play with AUM transport. You can still connect midi and use the old app switching methods to bounce back and forth.

  • @CracklePot said:

    @Janosax said:
    A quick question: when loaded inside AUM, chord progression always play by itself, and if I stop it it proceed again and again. I don’t want that as I don’t use it for its song mode but only for triggering chords via midi. How can I avoid that behavior, I don’t find any option in Navichord. Is it IAA sync?

    For now, if you just load Navichord as standalone instead of hosting in AUM, it will not auto play with AUM transport. You can still connect midi and use the old app switching methods to bounce back and forth.

    Nice workaround, thanks!

  • Nice update.

    @Navichord would it be possible in a setting to have the solo keyboard follow this jazzy scale logic?

  • @Navichord said:

    @CracklePot said:

    @Janosax said:
    A quick question: when loaded inside AUM, chord progression always play by itself, and if I stop it it proceed again and again. I don’t want that as I don’t use it for its song mode but only for triggering chords via midi. How can I avoid that behavior, I don’t find any option in Navichord. Is it IAA sync?

    For now, if you just load Navichord as standalone instead of hosting in AUM, it will not auto play with AUM transport. You can still connect midi and use the old app switching methods to bounce back and forth.

    Nice workaround, thanks!

    :) This app Navichord is sooooooo awesome. I can’t believe it escaped my attention until this past week. <3 B)

  • @bleep - those aren't really rules for which scale you should use for a particular scale, but rather guidelines if you want a particular sound. There are a bunch of other scales that you could use from obvious (C major over CMaj7) to more exotic. People think music theory is a prescriptive bunch of rules, and I guess at it's most basic it can be. But at a more advanced level it's a collection of tools that allow you to explore different musical worlds. There isn't a 'right' scale - there are just a bunch of different scales each of which have different trade offs.

  • @cian said:
    @bleep - those aren't really rules for which scale you should use for a particular scale, but rather guidelines if you want a particular sound. There are a bunch of other scales that you could use from obvious (C major over CMaj7) to more exotic. People think music theory is a prescriptive bunch of rules, and I guess at it's most basic it can be. But at a more advanced level it's a collection of tools that allow you to explore different musical worlds. There isn't a 'right' scale - there are just a bunch of different scales each of which have different trade offs.

    Yes, advanced musicians don't need matching scales. But for beginners like myself it is really useful if an app makes some "good" (even though limited) choices for me. It is also a learning experience to absorb and move on.

  • edited April 4 Vote Up0

    @bleep said:
    Nice update.

    @Navichord would it be possible in a setting to have the solo keyboard follow this jazzy scale logic?

    Navichord already has basic mapping for major and minor scales (autoscale), it is totally possible to extend to other chord types. The limitation is, there will be only one scale type per chord type. Thanks for the idea.

  • Sure but those probably aren’t good scale choices for a beginner. Minor/major/mixylodian are probably more appropriate

  • Thanks for the workaround!

    Only thing is, I realized that in this workflow, I lost the ability to remote start either AUM or Cubasis. Bummer :(

    I really hope a sync start on/off switch can be implemented so that even if one chooses to use Navichord as IAA one can still use the remote sidebar panels to a start stop the DAWs.

    One major thing that I really hoped and wish for Navichord in some future update would be to have it record the chords input exactly as one would play it in realtime. Just like if you were recording it live into a DAW. I know it can be done into the DAW this way now, but I’d love for the Song Mode to be able to do this within Navichord. This way, it would not be a static chord every bar or whatever but a more realistic reproduction of how you imagined the song to sound like. I hope this makes sense. Dennis what do you think?

    @Navichord said:

    @CracklePot said:

    @Janosax said:
    A quick question: when loaded inside AUM, chord progression always play by itself, and if I stop it it proceed again and again. I don’t want that as I don’t use it for its song mode but only for triggering chords via midi. How can I avoid that behavior, I don’t find any option in Navichord. Is it IAA sync?

    For now, if you just load Navichord as standalone instead of hosting in AUM, it will not auto play with AUM transport. You can still connect midi and use the old app switching methods to bounce back and forth.

    Nice workaround, thanks!

  • @CracklePot said:

    :) This app Navichord is sooooooo awesome. I can’t believe it escaped my attention until this past week. <3 B)

    Glad you liked it! B)

  • @MusicMan4Christ said:

    One major thing that I really hoped and wish for Navichord in some future update would be to have it record the chords input exactly as one would play it in realtime. Just like if you were recording it live into a DAW. I know it can be done into the DAW this way now, but I’d love for the Song Mode to be able to do this within Navichord. This way, it would not be a static chord every bar or whatever but a more realistic reproduction of how you imagined the song to sound like. I hope this makes sense. Dennis what do you think?

    @MusicMan4Christ If I understand well, you would like to save your chord performance as a loop and associate it with a song slot? Or is it MIDI bounce?

  • @Navichord said:

    @MusicMan4Christ said:

    One major thing that I really hoped and wish for Navichord in some future update would be to have it record the chords input exactly as one would play it in realtime. Just like if you were recording it live into a DAW. I know it can be done into the DAW this way now, but I’d love for the Song Mode to be able to do this within Navichord. This way, it would not be a static chord every bar or whatever but a more realistic reproduction of how you imagined the song to sound like. I hope this makes sense. Dennis what do you think?

    @MusicMan4Christ If I understand well, you would like to save your chord performance as a loop and associate it with a song slot? Or is it MIDI bounce?

    I think he wants to detach song playback from the grid for a more natural feel, if that makes sense. I've requested this before and it seemed like you didn't think it was likely.

  • I kind of had a hard time putting it to words but what I would love is for Navichord to record my Chord entries to the pads. Sort of like when you do so into a midi track of Cubasis or any DAW. Right now it plays back the chords that one has specified ahead of time. But I’d like to still do that but have Navichord record it to the pads in a more musical realtime way. I know it doesn’t make sense but I sort of see the pads as a virtual sequencer which if configured in such a way, would record my chords exactly as played. Then play it back into whatever DAW one chooses.

  • @MusicMan4Christ said:
    I kind of had a hard time putting it to words but what I would love is for Navichord to record my Chord entries to the pads. Sort of like when you do so into a midi track of Cubasis or any DAW. Right now it plays back the chords that one has specified ahead of time. But I’d like to still do that but have Navichord record it to the pads in a more musical realtime way. I know it doesn’t make sense but I sort of see the pads as a virtual sequencer which if configured in such a way, would record my chords exactly as played. Then play it back into whatever DAW one chooses.

    You could try using midi learn in Navichord to assign trigger notes to play the chord pads. Then use a sequencer (like the one in Cubasis) that has a midi track with the trigger notes sequenced with the correct, natural timing you are desiring. Send the output of this into Navichord, then record the audio or midi coming out of Navichord to a new track in Cubasis.

  • @MusicMan4Christ said:
    I kind of had a hard time putting it to words but what I would love is for Navichord to record my Chord entries to the pads. Sort of like when you do so into a midi track of Cubasis or any DAW. Right now it plays back the chords that one has specified ahead of time. But I’d like to still do that but have Navichord record it to the pads in a more musical realtime way. I know it doesn’t make sense but I sort of see the pads as a virtual sequencer which if configured in such a way, would record my chords exactly as played. Then play it back into whatever DAW one chooses.

    Now I think I get you. You want to have some sweep to the notes, rather than having them all hit at the same time. That would be a nice addition, and perhaps not too difficult to implement (compared to what I was talking about, anyway). A little slider in settings to raise/lower the sweep time and a toggle for up/down/random sweep would be very useful. @Navichord You're not busy, are you?

  • @aaronpc said:

    @Navichord said:

    @MusicMan4Christ said:

    One major thing that I really hoped and wish for Navichord in some future update would be to have it record the chords input exactly as one would play it in realtime. Just like if you were recording it live into a DAW. I know it can be done into the DAW this way now, but I’d love for the Song Mode to be able to do this within Navichord. This way, it would not be a static chord every bar or whatever but a more realistic reproduction of how you imagined the song to sound like. I hope this makes sense. Dennis what do you think?

    @MusicMan4Christ If I understand well, you would like to save your chord performance as a loop and associate it with a song slot? Or is it MIDI bounce?

    I think he wants to detach song playback from the grid for a more natural feel, if that makes sense. I've requested this before and it seemed like you didn't think it was likely.

    @aaronpc I agree, a pattern arpeggiator would be good. Perhaps I need to reconsider as it is a popular request.
    @MusicMan4Christ, MIDI recorder seems unlikely, so far I don't really see how to fit this feature.

Sign In or Register to comment.