Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Legal in Fifty States

It’s the album the world isn’t waiting for! ;) But may be of some small interest to a few fellow travellers here. Url below album cover.

https://repulsethemonkey.bandcamp.com/album/legal-in-fifty-states

Comments

• Some nice tunes in there!

• @rthr said:
    Some nice tunes in there!

>

Thanks very much for listening! :)

• Turned out to be my pleasure...

• Great album full of cool grooves. Well done, @Zen210507 and RTM! :smile:

• @AlterEgo_UK said:
    Great album full of cool grooves. Well done, @Zen210507 and RTM! :smile:

>

Many thanks, Colin. :)

• @Zen210507 just listened to the whole thing, brilliant

• @thesoundtestroom said:
    @Zen210507 just listened to the whole thing, brilliant

>

Cheers, Doug! Thanks for taking the time to listen.

• @Zen210507 It’s not hard work listening to RTM it’s like a masterclass in production and songwriting

• @thesoundtestroom said:
    @Zen210507 It’s not hard work listening to RTM it’s like a masterclass in production and songwriting

>

The cheque is in the post. ;)

But seriously, getting encouragement from someone as skilled as yourself is much appreciated.

• Love the Quincy Jones in it!

• @fprintf said:
    Love the Quincy Jones in it!

>

Thanks. We got the inspiration for that one from a discussion on this very forum.

• Great stuff @Zen210507 the whole album flows with variety yet remains coherent.

Not going to tell us anything about the making of?
    Is it a solo project?

• Me like :smile:
    Me play

I’ve seen too many Schwarzenegger movies lately

• edited April 2018

@1nsomniak said:
    Great stuff @Zen210507 the whole album flows with variety yet remains coherent.

Not going to tell us anything about the making of?
    Is it a solo project?

>

Thanks, @1nsomniak. :)

Repulse the Monkey is a small group of dabblers, just doing our thing and trying to make music that entertains us. If others like it, too, that is a bonus!

Legal in 50 States, was named after hearing a series of bad adverts on US Radio, for ‘snake oil’ medicines. The whole line was ‘Legal in 50 States and non-psycoactive’. We thought that the double meaning of States as in US States, and states as in states of being was fun as a title.

By far the most complex track to make was EVP, on which we use a very unusual instrument: an Aztec death whistle. Look them up on YouTube and hear the terrifying sounds they make. Just what we were looking for.

• @Kühl said:
    Me like :smile:
    Me play

I’ve seen too many Schwarzenegger movies lately

Many thanks, Kühl.

BTW, do let us know your favourite tracks.

• Note to all looking as this thread and checking out the album, it would be useful and interesting for RTM to know which tracks work best for you. :)

• Very good, favourite track would be either The Last Illusion or March of the Snowflakes. Nice production and playing.

@Zen210507 - are the band using traditional instruments, or is it all electronic? I'm particularly enjoying the bass playing, very impressive.

• @MonzoPro said:
    Very good, favourite track would be either The Last Illusion or March of the Snowflakes. Nice production and playing.

@Zen210507 - are the band using traditional instruments, or is it all electronic? I'm particularly enjoying the bass playing, very impressive.

>

Thanking you, Mr Monzo. It is fascinating to read which tracks appeal, and they are hardly ever the same ones we prefer. We like ‘em all, of course, but you know what I mean. ;)

What you hear is a mixture of electronics, some played, some manipulated high quality samples. Varies from song to song. But no ‘real world’ instruments were used, except for Colin’s fine guitar work on ‘Time Travel.’

Production has a number of origins, the usual suspects, but everything ends up in Auria Pro, polished with Fab Filters.

• @Zen210507 My favourite tracks are Primal Spirit, Remembering Scuttle, The Last Illusion and Batteries Not Included (oh and Time Travel! :wink: )

• @AlterEgo_UK said:
    @Zen210507 My favourite tracks are Primal Spirit, Remembering Scuttle, The Last Illusion and Batteries Not Included (oh and Time Travel! :wink: )

>

On Discchord, Tim Webb described ‘Primal Spirit’ as being ‘like Enya with some balls’ , which we were rather pleased with.

As you may have read on BandCamp, ‘Remembering Scuttle’ is a song about my deceased budgie. So it’s a bonus to find it listed as among your favourites, Colin. The little fellah is gone, but not forgotten.

‘The Last Illusion’ is emerging as an early listener favourite, which is interesting, trying to work out what exactly is making it stand out.

As for ‘Batteries Not Included’ I believe ‘Action Dan’ would be popular among the ladies....and a few gents. ;)

‘Time Travel’ must have been the longest time between idea and finished song, ever. Only finished thanks to you.

• Sorry Zen. A belated listen. First, reading the above confirms you won't be buying a 'Who the fuck is Tim Webb?' t shirt from a Shit and Pissed merchandise shop. He wasn't keen making my love for the bloke sincere, and thank him for falling into our plan of constant rejection... I dunno, thought it was obvious. :) Anyway:

LLQJ - Deadpan Alley. Cooler than that!

Edge of 70 - "Some wish they hadn't had chemical fun," and the snare work. Military Marching Band. Left Right.

Primal Spirit - The Devil has a holiday home in Cleethorpes. Dark, wet, threat of violence. His snubbed sunbed has an off white towel thrown by its side at least. My favourite.

Remembering scuttle - Best title. Satisfying story.

The Last illusion - Edgy. Vindaloo hot. Addicted to this rhythm.

Valeron - Magic Roundabout on Acid. Dylan is dope on guitar, and Erm on Es really does accentuate the "oohs."

Batteries Not Included - Clever lyrics. Determined drumming. Steve Hawkins would not have enjoyed this one.

Rotten Education - Me too. Oh yeah baby... the confidence in the intro message is salutable sir.

Timeless Control - The Best Dance track. The track to practice 'Speed Syllable - Without Speed' in time for Christmas. What? You haven't marketed this game to Mattel yet? So damn effective, hooky and unforgettable those wee constant consonants are.

Clever. Intelligent. Well done. :)

• edited June 2018

@Bluepunk said:
    Sorry Zen. A belated listen. First, reading the above confirms you won't be buying a 'Who the fuck is Tim Webb?' t shirt

>

Damn, I’d love one of those. :D

As for our album, thanks a lot for listening, and your kind observations.

What we find an endless source of fascination, is how others react to our stuff. Almost always what we like most is different to what gets the best response. Not complaining, very pleased that anyone likes any of these songs. :) It’s just a puzzle for us to work out.

Primal Spirit, for example, just kind of evolved without any huge effort, and The Last Illusion was like a sonic stir fry, ingredients chucked in there and mixed around to fill a hole. Yet both tracks have appealed to listeners more than tracks over which blood was sweated.

Then there are smaller mysteries. Valerian; we told the author on whose character it is based about this, and didn’t even get a one line reply. Did he hate it or just couldn’t be bothered. We’ll never know.

Anyway, thanks again for such a positive, encouraging review. We’re now about a third of the way through making album number four ‘‘Serendipity Doo-Dah.’

• @Zen210507 said:
    Primal Spirit, for example, just kind of evolved without any huge effort, and The Last Illusion was like a sonic stir fry, ingredients chucked in there and mixed around to fill a hole. Yet both tracks have appealed to listeners more than tracks over which blood was sweated.

I find this is generally the case for me, the stuff that just happens and falls together is the best !

Have not had a listen yet...it's on the to do list for this weekend ;)

• @AndyPlankton said:
    I find this is generally the case for me, the stuff that just happens and falls together is the best !

>

Yeah, AP, it used to happen to me with the day job, when I was designing book covers. Concepts I spent hours on would sometimes not work for the client, but an alternative I’d cobbled together was just the job. :)

If you do get time to have a listen to the album, we’d be keen to read your impressions.

• @Zen210507 said:

@AndyPlankton said:

>

Yeah, AP, it used to happen to me with the day job, when I was designing book covers. Concepts I spent hours on would sometimes not work for the client, but an alternative I’d cobbled together was just the job. :)

If you do get time to have a listen to the album, we’d be keen to read your impressions.

I'll certainly do my best :) Apologies for not listening before, I think I missed the original post :(

• @AndyPlankton said:
    I'll certainly do my best :) Apologies for not listening before, I think I missed the original post :(

>

No worries. :) There’s always so much of interest going on here, it’s hard to spot everything that appeals.

• edited June 2018

@Zen210507 said:

@AndyPlankton said:

>

No worries. :) There’s always so much of interest going on here, it’s hard to spot everything that appeals.

I could do a typical review similar to some methods employed by some unscrupulous app store reviewers......along the lines of

I wanted to watch a movie, but listened to this instead, I thought the visuals were rubbish...and as it is not available on 10" vinyl I don't think it is worth the money.
    :D :D :D

• Fanf*ckintastic. I love it.

• edited June 2018

@Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:
    Fanf*ckintastic. I love it.

>

Thank you so much. :)

Did one track in particular stand out for you!

• @Zen210507 said:

@Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:
    Fanf*ckintastic. I love it.

>

Thank you so much. :)

Did one track in particular stand out for you!

I like it all, the overall aesthetic. Can I join your band? I play fretless bass, ukulele, dilruba, Persian setar, Persian santur, bebop/funk/blues guitar, badass crazy wild Geoshred, and I sing droney, overtoney alaps in the dhrupad style.