Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Apple Pencil now a MIDI controller

Comments

• @skiphunt said:

@Carnbot said:
    Wow, yeah it’s very cool when you set up a tc data patch in a similar way :)

Yep! I’m discovering TC-Data all anew. Try mixing some control of parameters using the iPad camera brightness along with setting up some parameters to control with the Pencil’s various attributes. Really bizarre and opens up all kinds of possibilities.

It’s even got its own little pressure sensitive pencil animation. I think the dev should advertise this feature more as it might help sell more copies, pencil aware apps get more press these days.

• @Carnbot said:

@skiphunt said:

@Carnbot said:
    Wow, yeah it’s very cool when you set up a tc data patch in a similar way :)

Yep! I’m discovering TC-Data all anew. Try mixing some control of parameters using the iPad camera brightness along with setting up some parameters to control with the Pencil’s various attributes. Really bizarre and opens up all kinds of possibilities.

It’s even got its own little pressure sensitive pencil animation. I think the dev should advertise this feature more as it might help sell more copies, pencil aware apps get more press these days.

Agreed. I’ve never regretted investing in his apps (though I got TC-11 and TC-Data during a rare sale) this discovery of Pencil as controller component puts these apps way over the top for me.

• Could this be used to control a VST/AU on a desktop computer?

• @Reid said:
    Could this be used to control a VST/AU on a desktop computer?

Sure

• @brice said:

@Reid said:
    Could this be used to control a VST/AU on a desktop computer?

Sure

And via OSC a whole lot more, lighting, videos, art installations....

• Dang, a pencil is just the right sized thing to sneak in under the financial controller’s nose ... previously unneeded item status updated.

• So can I use the pencil to play velocity keys (and mod wheel) in Gadget?

• Looks like I finally got my wish:

• @JonLewis said:
    As I found a few months ago, you can use the Apple Pencil as your ‘bow’ when playing Finger Fiddle.

You can get quite a lot of realistic articulation with just your finger using FingerFiddle. I will have to try it with the Apple Pencil.

FingerFiddle - Play music like on a real violin by Matthias Demoucron:
    http://www.fingerfiddleapp.com

• Ok, I finally bought it cause I’m a bit of a fan of everything that can help making songs evolve in time. I find it very good and basically it can work with any synth or app that have cc in. You have a good level of control and the learning curve is very fast (basically 4 movements)
    As the ipad is dedicated to performing with the pen, you will need an external midi source (keyboard or another app) to generate the song but then the pleasure is big to make this song evolve

• There was a discussion on this topic back in 2015 and many people on the forum scoffed at the idea. I’m surprised it’s taken this long for an app to specifically target this functionality. Being able to have fine manual control over several variables at once in real time would have been a natural for musicians I would have thought.

• What would be good will be the possibility to set the minimum and maximum cc level for each move (example : instead of 0 - 127, let me set 60 - 110)

• Just now looking into getting a pencil. Are there any that compete with Apple's and are cheaper? How important is palm rejection and pressure sensitivity?

• @gkillmaster said:
    Just now looking into getting a pencil. Are there any that compete with Apple's and are cheaper? How important is palm rejection and pressure sensitivity?

Get the Pencil!

• Thank you all for your interest and feedback! We just released update 1.0.2 that includes some of the features that users requested to make Pen2Bow more powerful when used with synths. Here is a video introducing what's new:

Updates in detail:

• Added a settings page. It includes sensitivity and range adjustment for the 4 MIDI controllers.

• Added a touch piano keyboard. Virtual instruments can now be played without the need for an external MIDI keyboard.

• Added a refresh button for the MIDI device list. Pen2Bow no longer needs to be restarted in order to detect new MIDI devices.

• Added smoothing option for the pencil velocity. Pen2Bow is very sensitive and picks up the smallest fluctuations in pencil speed. When used with string instruments, this greatly adds to the realism. In the case of synths however, those micro fluctuations might be less desirable. Therefore now there is an option to dampen those fluctuations (version 1.0.1 and higher).

• @AudioMotion said:
    Thank you all for your interest and feedback! We just released update 1.0.2 that includes some of the features that users requested to make Pen2Bow more powerful when used with synths. Here is a video introducing what's new:

Updates in detail:

• Added a settings page. It includes sensitivity and range adjustment for the 4 MIDI controllers.

• Added a touch piano keyboard. Virtual instruments can now be played without the need for an external MIDI keyboard.

• Added a refresh button for the MIDI device list. Pen2Bow no longer needs to be restarted in order to detect new MIDI devices.

• Added smoothing option for the pencil velocity. Pen2Bow is very sensitive and picks up the smallest fluctuations in pencil speed. When used with string instruments, this greatly adds to the realism. In the case of synths however, those micro fluctuations might be less desirable. Therefore now there is an option to dampen those fluctuations (version 1.0.1 and higher).

Imagine if there were an AU MIDI version of this app so one ✏️ could control several synths at once plus be saved in your projects?

• @AudioMotion : thank you so much for this great update. The range limitation was exactly what I was expecting to make this app even more usefull. I think that people here will talk much more about this app once they will realize the full potential of it. I hope the new video above will convince some of them that we are touching something very special and innovative here and that we will soon have tracks with all kind of stuff.

• That looks like a great update, thanks for doing that and for your clear explanation.

• @AudioMotion said:
    Thank you all for your interest and feedback! We just released update 1.0.2 that includes some of the features that users requested to make Pen2Bow more powerful when used with synths.

Love the update, especially the built-in keyboard and settings page. Thanks so much for doing this. It was an app we didn't know we needed, until you came up with it. :)

If you're up for another update, it would be incredibly useful to be able to save, load, and share configurations. Then we could have different configurations for different synth apps, or variations for the same synth app.

• Thank you so much @cuscolima, @PhilW and @DavidEnglish for the kind words. I will do my best to include a load/save preset option in the next update. I wanted to ask you three if you would consider writing a review on the App Store. I only got a single one from a person who had a connection issue and gave it a minimum rating of one star :(

• @AudioMotion said:
    Thank you so much @cuscolima, @PhilW and @DavidEnglish for the kind words. I will do my best to include a load/save preset option in the next update. I wanted to ask you three if you would consider writing a review on the App Store. I only got a single one from a person who had a connection issue and gave it a minimum rating of one star :(

Done, 5 stars + review. I hope it will help, you deserve it!

• Same here. Five stars, plus a review.

• edited April 2018

Looks like neither of our reviews is showing up in the iTunes store. Must be a lag between posting and seeing a new review.

• tjatja
    edited April 2018

Anybody has a list of useful CCs for iSymphonic?

CC7 seems to be volume
    CC10 is panning, sadly wrong sides
    CC65 is.. something
    CC91 is... something different

• edited April 2018

@tja said:

Here's a good general list: nickfever.com/music/midi-cc-list.

A lot of the CC codes are left open for manufacturers to customize.

• @DavidEnglish said:

@tja said:

Here's a good general list: nickfever.com/music/midi-cc-list.

A lot of the CC codes are left open for manufacturers to customize.

Ah, thanks a bunch!
    That's helps already :)

• Thank you very much @cuscolima and @DavidEnglish for your reviews!

• New video is out! Part 2 of a 4-part series of videos, showing the interplay between the MIDI controller App Pen2Bow and the virtual string instruments by Audio Modeling. This part is about the SWAM Viola:

• Here is a new video: Part 3 of our 4-part series on the interplay between Pen2Bow and the virtual string instruments by Audio Modeling. This part is about the SWAM Cello. It also includes a comparison between a breath controller and Pen2Bow: