Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Battle of the DAWs

There are a lot out now. Which daw do you guys feel is the easiest and most intuitive? For some reason I always go back to garageband. It sucks that you can only use GB as an output in audiobus.

Comments

• hope that Matt from Blipinteractive (Nanostudio) dont wait too long with his Secret work, IF its Nanostudio2 with AudioRec, it could be THE DAW for iOS....all others feels still like compromise or with to much workarounds.....

• MTDaw is one of my goto DAWs when I don't want a lot of bells and whistles. Very solid DAW. I appreciate BM2, but I've never felt comfortable with the interface. Cubasis and Auria are great for different reasons, but both have shortcomings. Auria with various plug-ins is amazing though. I just got the Volcano plug-in, based on Doug's recommendation, and Wow!! That one is great fun!

• I use Cubasis. I didn't do any comprehensive head-to-head testing though. I never liked the flipping back and forth between the track view and instrument view in Garage Band. I tried Multitrack DAW but didn't like it much. I then shelled out $50 for Cubasis and have stuck with that. #1, I like it. #2, I'm not spending any more money on DAWs.

• Nanostudio is wonderfully intuitive but feels very dated now. I would hope Blip is planning an evolution of it rather than a totally new DAW.

• I use Cubasis, Multitrack DAW and Auria.

Auria is my favourite by far. The effects are outstanding. Bundled with the app you get 2 great reverbs, delay, chorus, parametric EQ on every strip, along with expander/gate, compressor, a brick wall limiter on the master bus etc...

And then as IAPs you get some other wonderful options: analog style compressor (Old Timer), Drumagog (really useful), Fabfilters: compressor, limiter, Pro Q (which is amazing), and many more, all of them pro quality and a fraction of the price of the desktop equivalents.

I use Cubasis for the MIDI functionality, and multitrack DAW for recording when I need some CPU overhead, but I always do the actual mixing and final work in Auria.

• Just recently bought Auria, and will be using it together with Cubasis until Auria gets midi sequencing. Then it's probably goodbye Cubasis.

Really love everything about Auria!

• edited November 2013

For me the feature-wise most flexible DAW is Cubasis. Inter-app audio is coming very soon and automation will follow hopefully few weeks later. As soon as this happens, Cubasis is reaching a real 1.0 state ;-)

• I use Cubasis and BeatMaker 2.

Advantages of each:

• Cubasis: More logical UI, "one view" approach instead of lots of different screens to jump through, has a synth, has a few good virtual instruments, AudioBus routing is cake, better effects, better media library management, auto save that works, importing audio/audiopaste is simple
    • BeatMaker 2: Better track-level navigation -- editing, moving, copying, scrolling, etc in the audio track view is far superior once you learn how to use the controls. Excellent, powerful sampler and MPC interface. Pretty easy to use AudioBus. Better for custom sound kits (keyboard or sampler). MIDI editing is better.

Cubasis is the more polished, streamlined app, but BeatMaker is more fun to use.

• My views here are pretty well documented, but at the expense of the dead horse...BM2 and Auria. I record into BM2. That UI gets a lot of complaints from folks, but I've been working with it from day one, so it's kind of second nature to me now. I think if you asked an impartial person to compare the various features of ALL of the DAWs on iOS you'd find that BM2 covers your bases more than any other. Auria, is just Auria. There's nothing else really like it on iOS. Rim and the folks over at WML took a full blown desktop DAW and crammed it into an iPad somehow. Then they added FabBilter plugins to it that are desktop quality. It's really pretty amazing.

• Basically because of its midi editor and sampling its BM2 for me. I've got Cubasis but I dread editing in it, which makes it no fun. If I was coming into it for the first time that would probably be a different matter, it's just what I've got used to. Especially if Cubasis does deliver on automation before the end of the year

• Cubase on the desktop for over a decade. So it's a case of better the Cubasis devil you know for me.

• Auria for me. Fun, easy to use, and as other have said it's amazing having Fabfilter plugins built in.

• As dated as NanoStudio is, it's still my DAW of choice. 80% of any given track I do is MIDI driven (and I use single note samples from other synths in Eden to use other synth sounds), and the MIDI editing and automation in NS is, in my opinion, the fastest, most responsive and most intuitive on the iOS platform (or anywhere else). I'm starting to get the hang of using Audiobus with NS effectively when single note samples just won't cut it in Eden, and relying on TRG pads for long stretches of audio is still the Achilles heal of the app, but I can get it to work for now.

Obviously, it your tracks are more audio driven and less MIDI, then NS is likely not for you.

• Which iOS daw is similar to pc reaper daw?
    On cubasis can u loop easily? In multi track daw u have to copy and paste over and over

• I have lots of DAWS and flip tracks from one to another etc to make use of the best features of each, e.g. Cubasis or music studio for midi, nanostudio for trimming audio stems, GarageBand for layering fake guitar and piano parts, Looptical for automated fx, Auria for boosting the audio a little, etc, etc. So for me it's not a question of the 'best' DAW but rather whe

• Ok - I meant to say the real question for me is when will IAA make multiple DAW use a lot smoother than it is today. Hopefully not too long

• Cubasis to control the midi, Auria for final mix....

• edited November 2013

@Vejichan In Cubasis you have to build your arrangement also via copy and paste. It's the only remaining drawback so far. I hope they will implement the same looping/song block methods as in GarageBand, which is IMHO the speed champion in building up arrangements.

• edited November 2013

Cubasis, after IAA, still needs:

Mixing automation,

Full midi - CC s and sys ex recording and playback

More audio editing features

Time stretch

Mixing sub groups

• I think the promise of IAA is pretty great, but the reality is that it's not nearly as functional as Audiobus is today. That's been my experience anyway. IAA has been one headache after another. I've actually almost given up on it in Auria and BM2.

• Auria for Pro use, but Beatmaker 2 for begin my idea.

Have Cubasis but don't like pinch to zoom and navigation and interface is like a game.

I like very much Meteor….it's my first DAW before Auria came out, and it continuos to update it, now have add Loop Record Mode that there isn't in Auria, have cool synth and effects, special reverb…..I think if Auria there isn't I use Meteor (I buy all add ons at time).

• Loopy or NS to capture initial stuff, Auria after that. No entering the battle. Just what I generally use.

I don't use MTD at all on my iPad but still use it occasionally on my phone. It's rock solid but the editing is pretty awful and no mixer view renders it largely a capture only device.

• edited March 2014

• @Vejichan asked: "Which iOS daw is similar to pc reaper daw? On cubasis can u loop easily? In multi track daw u have to copy and paste over and over"

I went directly from Reaper on the pc to Cubasis on the iPad. Really easy transition. I was recording in Cubasis within 15 minutes. The basics are the same. Once you've used one conventional DAW, they're all pretty much the same. Choose the track, set the input, arm, then record. Reaper has a ton more features than Cubasis but you learn to make do. I haven't recorded in Reaper in almost a year. The portability of the iPad is the key. I can sit in front of the tv and use Cubasis. If EZ Drummer ever comes to iOS, I'll probably never use the desktop and Reaper again.

On a side note, why does this forum not have quoting capabilities? Seems like that would be a basic, basic function.

• @Vejichan @cheesesteak: Same story here gone from Reaper on PC to Cubasis on iPad really easily. Just need Cubasis to get automation now (and maybe a few other bits and pieces ;)

• "On a side note, why does this forum not have quoting capabilities? Seems like that would be a basic, basic function."

No idea...

• edited November 2013

@cheesesteak said:

On a side note, why does this forum not have quoting capabilities? Seems like that would be a basic, basic function.

If I only knew...

In all seriousness - please have a look at this: http://daringfireball.net/projects/markdown/syntax/#blockquote

• M

A

R

K

>

D

O

W

N

>

F

T

W

• Yeah, but there should be a dedicated quote button that does this without me expending any brain power.

Sorry for hijacking the thread.

• We'll look into making it easier.