Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Zoom LT-12, Steinberg UR44, Scarlett 18i8 ... questions about each

I recently bought a Zoom LT-12 after learning it existed while stalking this forum. I have not used it in conjunction with my iPad Pro yet, waiting on the CKK I just ordered to arrive.

Thing is, I am really bummed that the faders cannot be used as a control surface for Cubasis or Auria. I ditched my Apogee Duet because I needed more simultaneous I/o. Thinking that for my purposes, just project studio stuff, either the UR44 or Scarlett 18i8 and the Korg NanoKONTROL/NanoKey combo would be much better.

I’ve done a lot of reading here, but I am still unclear about how well the LT-12 preamps compare to the Focusrite or Steinberg units. I’d like to have midi as well, which the LT-12 lacks, for some odd reason. I love the idea of hardware monitoring (UR44) but I have always been fond of Focusrite preamps and the thing has a few more input options. I come from using a variety of different PC based DAW/interface setups and am new to trying to do all of this on iOS.

Thoughts on sound quality and latency of these three units? Reliability? Stability? I also read that you can’t configure the Focusrite mixer via an iOS device. It was an older thread and if this is still true that could be a deal breaker.

If it matters my projects are all over the place I terms of what I am actually doing. One day it could be fully a midi sequenced String Quartet, another a small band playing prog-ish metal, another it could be typical guitar wankery recorded direct via the AX8.

Any discussion greatly appreciated.

Comments

• I’m temporarily down to a minimal setup but should be hooking up my gear to the L12 again next month.

I don’t have much experience of other mixers but if there’s anything in particular you want me to test on the L12 when it’s back up, let me know.

Maybe others could chime in on the other products you mentioned.

• I have the UR44. Compared to the iConnectivity ICA4+, which I also have, it’s more stable, so I would trust it in a live situation if needed. Class Compliant mode for iOS works fine. DSPMixFX is simple and intuitive, and the option to have reverb or other effects on the live input monitoring is a great feature. The preamps are transparent and great for the price. I wish it was bus-powered for my Windows PC, but that’s not realistic with that feature set. If you don’t need the extra digital ins, it’s pretty good value for the price. 4 pres and an extra stereo line in.

I’ve started to use Studiomux to replicate some of the features of the ICA4+, namely using a laptop and iPad at the same time, routing audio and midi between Ableton and iOS, and that’s all worked fine so far.

As for a control surface for Cubasis/Auria, can’t conmnent there - I run everything through Ableton these days, and use a Push 2 and Faderfox UC4, great combo.

Hope there’s something useful in there for you!

• Cubasis does not support midi control of the mixer at all......Auria is Mackie HUI and Mackie MCU compliant so any compliant control surface should work with it...I have used a behringer BCF2000 with it. LaunchControlXL has a HUI mode and that could be used also.
    Not sure if the Nanokontrol Studio has a HUI or MCU mode.