Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Can I shut of the advertisements to "buy an app add-on within a paid app"?

I finally bit the bullet and bought Amplitube for 20 bucks. Even at that i have to be very careful what i press. I can't relax. i keep thinking "Whats gonna pop up next asking me for money" and it really distracts me from my workflow if you know what I mean. I have a mind of my own and can buy ad-on apps if I want. I don't need additional reminders. I can understand an app doing this with a free version, but when you actually buy an app it is ultra annoying.

So the question is :
Is there a way to disable the buttons that do nothing except ask you to buy an app?
I will even buy an app that will do this!!!!

Thanks
K

Comments

• Putting the iPad in Airplane mode helps with some of that. Don't allow ET to phone home.

• The company is well known for this kind of,well,"offensive marketing".I also cannot understand why a 20 bucks app always sticks a pitchfork of ads into everybodies face.

• I just bought amplitube for iPad last night....along with a ton of add-ons...full blown recording studio, amp bundles, pedals, etc... The only popup I've had was to rate the app...which I did. And at startup...it shows the midi connector.mmother than that,mi haven't had any issues. I know sampletank's used to do this all the time. I'll keep a look out as I'll be using it all day tomorrow.

• Amplitube's ability to reconfigure amps and effects in post is really excellent. The pop ups have been limited in recent updates on some of their other products to once a month. Still too many for a fully purchased product to me.

• hmm.. derek bought amplitube... Hopefully a sign of good things because they could sure use your help on the community relations front.

• They've cut down some but @DerekBuddemeyer you're not seeing them because you bought most IAP's. If you don't buy the DAW feature it will harass you if you hit a certain button. The other thing is it will annoy you to buy their other apps, especially if they're on sale at the time. It's surely annoying when your in the groove and focused. The company is well aware of our complaints but don't change it because, well, people still buy stuff so whatever.

In my opinion, it is completely wrong to have pop up ads in a fully paid and especially if you've purchased all IAP's. Ridiculous!

• edited November 2013

I think a rep said it was once per session.

• Should be none per ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• JamUp does that now too...

• Hey! You're right :( It tells me that "BIAS is the Top #1 music App Store in 118 countries!".

Wow! I didn't realise that BIAS is not only an app, it's a whole App Store as well! Mind you, I wonder which App Store is the 2nd place #1 App Store. ? ;)

• I absolutely hate that jamup bugs me with a popup everytime I start it now too. Yes I will buy BIAS but please, popups are not acceptable for a pro app like that.

• edited March 2014

• @Simon possible on jailbroken devices, otherwise not. App bundles are signed and those signatures won't verify if anything in the app bundle is tampered with...

• edited March 2014

• edited November 2013

If the app phones home to update/create their ads then it might be an idea to block their web address in the wifi router or point it to another side .. just an idea.

• Son of a...the jamup one doesn't go away either. I thought it would be a one time thing, but I frickin OWN bias now. Leave me the f alone.

• I was gonna buy BIAS but not now that I hear about this stupid Pop Up disease! I will stick with AmpKit and continue to blast them in my reviews on the App Store. I was a hardcore JamUp user, but not anymore!

• The question is:are the ads really worth the hassle with their userbase?I would say "no"but their marketing seems to think(or know)"yes".They know since a long time that many user are not happy with the ads in such expensive apps but they just don't care.

• The question is:are the ads really worth the hassle with their userbase?I

Indeed. Not that anyone would share but I'd love to see the analytics/conversions on these things.

• @syrupcore - yes those stats and conversion rates (not click-through) would be interesting to see. They must think it's profitable but i doubt that it gets them many sales. I suppose in their eyes a sale is a sale.

When it comes down to it they just don't care....but you can bet that the main people working there don't have ads in their version of the app.

• I did get ads in Jamup Pro XT and BIAS around the release of BIAS even after buying BIAS but I haven't had them for a few days now...it might return any day of course, plugging the Jamup Plug or new IAPs or whatever.
    But it's a bad sign they did them even then; it should never happen. Having said that, even in Loopy HD and some other apps I get pop-ups every now and then pestering me for a review or a FB 'like'... which is the same thing, really.

To be quite honest, if this disease keeps spreading, as it seems to be doing, I think users need to take action of some kind; it is, after all, a form of spam.
    Apple should also take note as this practice detracts from the iOS 'experience'.... they could check for this kind of spam in the Appstore acceptance process.

• @mmp - I have to disagree with you here....now a FB like may be similar but being asked to leave a review is entirely understandable because the whole AppStore is built on ratings; it affects their charting, it affects when apps are searched for, it affects "customers also bought..." and each time an app is updated it gets reset to zero. Reviews are crucial because it keeps the apps relevant in the AppStore so that the developers keeps making money and are able to provide updates and new apps instead of go extinct.

• @JMSexton I realize that reviews are important but this approach actually deters me from putting up a review. Developers really should find another way of encouraging reviews, something that doesn't interrupt. I am very sensitive to this practice and it irritates the h3ll out of me.

• It would be interesting if the devs would code the apps to not have any pop-ups if you were in Airplane mode, which is what people would likely do when performing. I could swallow that easier.

• I know this will be an unpopular statement but... I came to iOS and its music apps last year after a decade of buying Windows pc music apps that cost 5x to 10x their App Store equivalents. It's an annoyance but it doesn't bother me that much that I have to waste three seconds of my life and a mouse click to use IK Multimedia's and now Positive Grid's $19 products if their research indicates that they're popup ads generate revenue for them. As long as they don't pop up when I'm actually using the product, then it's water off my back. Would I want the popups to go away? Sure. But I won't have a conniption over it.

• How do I get the popups to happen in Amplitube or Sampletank? I've seen them before but for the life of me can not get them to occur anymore? Wasn't there a button or option that you would have to activate manually to get them to come up? I am using the latest versions and am not seeing anything at all.

• @mmp As a dev of a paid app I never want to annoy my users with ads, but reviews are super-critical to an app's success on the App Store. Back on Nov 5, the iPad Musicians FB group did an experiment where everyone went and posted a review of Audioshare on the same day. Audioshare's ranking jumped up from #67 to #35 or so, within hours! And its rankings in the weeks since then have been considerably higher than pre-experiment. It's a huge testament to the power of the community to 'rock the vote' on the App Store.

So then the question becomes: how can apps get more reviews without being annoying? Asking via a popup is much more effective in getting reviews than not doing anything. That said I'm happy to try different approaches on this, so if you have any ideas I'm listening :)

• How about if we all do that same experiment but this time go in to Sampletank or amplitube or whichever and all give scathing reviews about the popups? Would that get some attention from ik?

• @Rhism
    First of all, I don't mind developers asking for reviews or rankings. It becomes 'pestering' only when it's done in an annoying manner.

As for how, anything that won't require the user to interrupt his/her flow by having to remove a popup, press a button or other action. With the apps where you know a popup is likely, you'll have to wait until it appears before getting started properly. Few users will be inclined to put in a favorable review at that point I'm afraid. Far from being effective, I think popups are actually counterproductive.

Problem with the reviews question is that, unlike with IAPs, the app cannot detect whether the user has posted a review or ranking already (as far as I know), so it will have to be repeated even if she/he has done so. That makes it especially critical to not be annoying or disruptive.

A reminder on the splash screen while the app loads, a link on the 'about' screen, a line of text, banner or link in a config/settings/help screen, you name it.

Anything but nagging popups, which will likely irritate most users. And if you feel a popup is absolutely neccesary, do it at a time when the user is likely to have finished with a task, just after saving a recording, for instance.

But, best not to use them at all, I maintain.

• Yep, I think most devs that do a popup implement it in a way that it only shows on app launch, not when you're in the middle of playing something (that'd be horrible!). And if you say no, most don't ask again (at least not until the next version update). Since ratings reset on every version update, the apps then need to ask again at that point.

The links/banners on the about/config/settings/help screens don't seem to work so well in my experience. Users hardly ever go there once they've learnt how to use the app, and in general you only really want reviews from people who've learnt how to use the app, not the ones who are struggling with it!

A reminder on the splash screen while the app loads sounds like a great idea! I should try that :)