Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Minimoog model D - Issue with RETRIGGER mode

Has anyone noticed that when playing fast licks on an attached MIDI keyboard, fast successive notes are cut shorter than actually played?
I've made test programs with zero attack + decay and max sustain level, and as soon as choosing "KEY BEHAVIOR = RETRIGGER", notes played legato-style will have short breaks before every new note.

Neither Animoog nor Model 15 do this.

Comments

• I also get little pops at the start of notes played legato style on patches that use retrigger, even with slow attack envelopes.

• Hey @rs2000 and @richardyot, sorry to hear that you're having issues with retrigger mode.

@rs2000 retrigger behaves as a mono synth where the envelopes are immediately reset to the start when you play a new note. If you want the decay of a previous not to linger when you play a new note, then you can use polyphonic mode, which actually behaves the same as retrigger, except that it cycles through the four available voices.

@richardyot could you please send some example patches that you think are having problems to [email protected], we'll have a look at them.

• @MoogMusicInc said:
    Hey @rs2000 and @richardyot, sorry to hear that you're having issues with retrigger mode.

@rs2000 retrigger behaves as a mono synth where the envelopes are immediately reset to the start when you play a new note. If you want the decay of a previous not to linger when you play a new note, then you can use polyphonic mode, which actually behaves the same as retrigger, except that it cycles through the four available voices.

>
    First, thank you very much for responding here.
    Maybe my description was not precise enough - it's not the end but rather the start of the notes being cut off/late.
    Like you confirmed, I agree that the correct behavior would be that in retrigger mode, the envelopes immediately reset to the start, and monophonic is what I want indeed.
    And this is the problem: Model D seems to take a little while to do this. No other iOS synth that I know of delays the start of new notes in retrigger mode while playing legato lines (i.e. notes overlap during playing).
    This is definitely a bug that I confirmed by creating a hardware sequencer pattern with a 16th notes solo line played with slightly overlapping notes. As soon as the note length increases and starts to overlap with the next note (and that's what I mean by "legato playing"), the "note-sounds-too-late" issue starts to happen.

• @MoogMusicInc I've sent an email to the appsupport address with a video of the problem.

Just as a precaution I will describe the bug here:

I have a video of the issue: Video here

When the notes are set to retrigger, the retrigger does not seem to respect the slow attack settings of the envelope when notes are played legato style. For example a patch with a very slow attack does not retrigger with a slow attack if a new note is played when the previous note is held down.

Please see the attached video: the patch is set to retrigger, in the first part of the video the notes are not played legato, the keys are triggered one after the other with the finger lifted from the screen in between. In this case the new note has a slow attack each time.

In the second half of the video the new note is played while the previous one is still held down on the keyboard, and you can hear that the slow attack is no longer there, there is a hard cliking attack on the note, even though it should retrigger the envelope.

• @richardyot
    I believe we're talking about the same bug.
    When playing legato-style riffs and retrigger mode is enabled, something causes the sound to mute for a very short period when it actually should not. That also explains the clicks you've experienced.

• Thanks a lot, we received the email. We'll look into it!

• Ha, got a reply from Geert Bevin - that's what I call support :)

• @richardyot said:
    Ha, got a reply from Geert Bevin - that's what I call support :)

Sorry that we don't have access to your private mailbox ... dare to share? ;)

• Thanks a lot for the detailed report Richard,

We'll look into it as soon as possible.

--
    Geert Bevin
    Senior Software Engineer
    Moog Music Inc.

• @richardyot said:
    Thanks a lot for the detailed report Richard,

We'll look into it as soon as possible.

--
    Geert Bevin
    Senior Software Engineer
    Moog Music Inc.

Same here. Had nothing but good experiences with developers in iOS land. From the one man bands to the bigger known companies - they all seem keen to get their software to the best state possible :)

• edited April 2018

@MoogMusicInc said:
    Thanks a lot, we received the email. We'll look into it!

Hi, any news on the "Retrigger mode audio gaps and wrong envelope behavior" issue?

• I’m also having the retrigger issue on the Model D, easily reproducible by setting filter freq to minimum, resonance and filter env to maximum, and filter and amp env ADR to minimum. This patch generates the shortest click sound possible. In retrigger mode, the first note struck plays fine, with the click matching the key depression. However, playing two or more keys generates two audible clicks clearly spaced by a fixed length delay.

I hope this gets addressed. There are even built in presets that can’t be played properly because of this! Funny thing is that this issue is not present when doing legato and even in poly mode.

• @moccij said:
    I’m also having the retrigger issue on the Model D, easily reproducible by setting filter freq to minimum, resonance and filter env to maximum, and filter and amp env ADR to minimum. This patch generates the shortest click sound possible. In retrigger mode, the first note struck plays fine, with the click matching the key depression. However, playing two or more keys generates two audible clicks clearly spaced by a fixed length delay.

I hope this gets addressed. There are even built in presets that can’t be played properly because of this! Funny thing is that this issue is not present when doing legato and even in poly mode.

@MoogMusicInc Can we please agree upon that this is indeed an issue?