Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Alternatives to Korg NanoKontrol 2?

I am surprised that I haven't seen any small "desk" mixers like this -- DIY included. I want to be able to arm tracks and mix levels on the fly for performances and to improve DAW workflow.

Comments

• edited March 2018

Nanokontrol Studio.

8 mixer faders with 4 scenes and a tonne of configurable buttons. Comes with mappings for the big Daws. Kind of wish I had one myself.

• edited March 2018

Nanokontrol 1 used is another option!

You can select 4 scenes from the hardware which gives a lot of cc numbers to map

The version 2 will automap to ielectribe and gadget once you connect it. Having both is a great combination and really cheap if you pick up second hand!

• @futureaztec said:

I am surprised that I haven't seen any small "desk" mixers like this -- DIY included. I want to be able to arm tracks and mix levels on the fly for performances and to improve DAW workflow.

These things are great to pick up, and cheap too. I recommend it as a simple solution.

• @BlueGreenSpiral said:

You can select 4 scenes from the hardware which gives a lot of cc numbers to map

The version 2 will automap to ielectribe and gadget once you connect it. Having both is a great combination and really cheap if you pick up second hand!

Yeah I see one in my area for $30, but it seems a bit plastic and clunky. Once again, a giant hole in the market for some innovator to come alone and make something different...I wish I was part of some innovative tech company -- I see so many holes right now.

• Or ICON I-CREATIV

• edited March 2018

It doesn't seem like much of an improvement -- possibly less functions. But I could be wrong. I noticed a video where I guy said the joystick part snapped off.

• Novation launch control (or XL)

• @futureaztec said:

@BlueGreenSpiral said:

Yeah I see one in my area for $30, but it seems a bit plastic and clunky. Once again, a giant hole in the market for some innovator to come alone and make something different...I wish I was part of some innovative tech company -- I see so many holes right now.

What is it that you're looking for that the nanoKontrol2 doesn't give you? Is it the "cheap" feel? While I do agree that it's surprising more companies don't offer alternatives, I feel like of all the Korg nano controllers, the Kontrol is the best. I can't stand the feel of their drum pads/key pads so this is the winner of them all.

On a side note - there is always the Keith McMillen stuff, but it's not cheap and it's ALL rubbery pads (if you don't mind that sort of thing):

QuNeo: https://www.keithmcmillen.com/products/quneo/

K-Mix: https://www.keithmcmillen.com/products/k-mix/

• @dvlmusic said:

@futureaztec said:

@BlueGreenSpiral said:

What is it that you're looking for that the nanoKontrol2 doesn't give you? Is it the "cheap" feel? While I do agree that it's surprising more companies don't offer alternatives, I feel like of all the Korg nano controllers, the Kontrol is the best. I can't stand the feel of their drum pads/key pads so this is the winner of them all.

On a side note - there is always the Keith McMillen stuff, but it's not cheap and it's ALL rubbery pads (if you don't mind that sort of thing):

QuNeo: https://www.keithmcmillen.com/products/quneo/

K-Mix: https://www.keithmcmillen.com/products/k-mix/

Yeah I just noticed the K-Mix and it really surprised me. I own a BopPad from McMillen and I am super stoked with that. But then I noticed the K-Mix actually has some serious audio ins and outs. By glancing at it you wouldn't know. The faders and knobs are infinity style, but with the colours and the way you interact with them -- I dunno, I would have to try one out in person. From over the internet, and for the price, I am hesitant. Pretty cool though to see all those ins and outs. Right now so many manufacturers are peddling 2 in 2 out audio interfaces -- which to my mind, are seriously limited, depending on whether you are hooking up analog gear or not. Regarding the QuNeo, I am not after a 4x4 midi pad contoller, more of a mixing console and something small and slick.

I used to have a Push 2, but it is so big and I found the multipurpose aspect leads to menu diving which can become confusing. You can't really take it out in public without arousing suspicion and jealousy. With the nano you've got your record-arm and your track levels in a small device. But, then again, you don't exactly have clip launching...

• @audiblevideo said:
    Novation launch control (or XL)

Yeah, I dunno. The XL starts to approach a Push in size and the smaller version seems to have a bit of a quirky layout. Native Instruments should make a half size Maschine JAM type thing.