Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

New MOOG app - Minimoog Model D!

Comments

• @Beathoven said:

@Cib said:

@Beathoven said:

@Cib said:
    This thing sucked 30% battery in about 10 minutes and a new record for warming up my phone.
    It might be the most cpu intense app yet.
    I guess that the FX take a big chunk of it here.
    But yeah, it‘s a beefy little synth.
    Sadly really very very bad GUI and workflow (like Model 15).
    So sound is a 8/10 but GUI and workflow would take a 3/10 so far. Makes it a 5.5/10 app!
    It seems sadly another 5 dollar which i put in the folder of „maybe i use it one day again“.
    Of course i think on an 12.9“ iPad it coukd be a lot more joy.

Just out of interest, what is it that you don’t like about the GUI and workflow? For me, apart from the preset selector (which is different, but still absolutely fine), I can’t really fault it.

It‘s all way to small on iPhone. And i have the 6S plus.
    Yep, the preset browser is no fun too.
    Hitting the right knob is luck for me and tweaking it is just not what i could imagine to do for longer than 10 minutes.
    That might sound harsh but there are far better GUI‘s for multi-touch from other developers.
    Model 15 is also not my best friend here. A reason i much prefer then Zeeon, DRC and some others.
    In days where sound is almost on par anywhere there are huge differences in workflow and GUI.
    Animoog is still their best multi-touch app by a country mile!
    While it does sound good i can‘t integrate it in my workflow.

Ahh, ok. I probably wouldn’t expect the best user experience from an iPhone either; the screen is just too small for serious knob twiddling.

Yes but some make it usable.
    I had no trouble with NanoStudio and a 3.5“ screen.
    But since i get older and at the same time my projects getting bigger and i learned much more about synthesis i like to dive in deep. And even my 15.6“ macbook feels too small often now.
    But i still don‘t like using tablets since they are no fish and no meat for me and i think there i would have the same limits anyway :p

• does it have a randomizer like Animoog?

• where are the demos for the IAPs...can't find them on the Moog site?

• @tja said:

@Samu said:

@AlexB said:
    What do you guy think about the bank/preset management ? Honestly that was my biggest disappointment, one of the poorest I’ve seen in an IOS synth. The sound is good though.

I had to read the manual before I was able to create my own bank for saving sounds and even init a patch :D
    After that was clear it works quite well.
    (Hint, long-tap on the save icon for options to create a bank and init a preset).

I cannot say, how much i hate long-presses, double-taps, two-finger-taps, two-finger swipes and similar nonsense.

Optionally, over a menu to enabled them - OK ...

But just so?
    :-|

But OK, long-presses are much more common and not such a problems as the others ;-)

Funny that, I believe just the opposite.

iPad screen is perfect for gesture based control. Why not use a quick gesture rather than clicking 3 or 4 times in menus.

Sounds like you’re more of a desktop mouse and click fella.

• @SpookyZoo said:

@tja said:

@Samu said:

@AlexB said:
    What do you guy think about the bank/preset management ? Honestly that was my biggest disappointment, one of the poorest I’ve seen in an IOS synth. The sound is good though.

I had to read the manual before I was able to create my own bank for saving sounds and even init a patch :D
    (Hint, long-tap on the save icon for options to create a bank and init a preset).

I cannot say, how much i hate long-presses, double-taps, two-finger-taps, two-finger swipes and similar nonsense.

But just so?

But OK, long-presses are much more common and not such a problems as the others ;-)

iPad screen is perfect for gesture based control. Why not use a quick gesture rather than clicking 3 or 4 times in menus.

I am just a fan of knowing what to do and being able to do it fast.

With all those I'll new ideas, you mostly need to try this, than that, then the next, and so on.
    More and more graphics apps use this and it starts to proliferate...

Not good, in my book.

And with a menu, one click is often enough, maybe two - and you see what can be done!

• @tja said:

@SpookyZoo said:

@tja said:

@Samu said:

@AlexB said:

But just so?

With all those I'll new ideas, you mostly need to try this, than that, then the next, and so on.

Not good, in my book.

And with a menu, one click is often enough, maybe two - and you see what can be done!

Yeah but once you know the gesture, it’s a perfect interface.

• I love when Moogs drop out of nowhere

• This is only the second time I've ever asked for a refund on the app store. Sounds amazing, but I only really need it on my iPhone and it's just too damn hard to use. A lot nicer on the iPad Pro 10.5, but I haven't been using that for making music lately. I'll definitely pick it up again if they make the display zoomable ala Model 15.

• Is there a way to adjust the keyboard size and yes the interface is very difficult to read and use, may be they could hide the presets browser and make it only available the you require to change preset, that would be valuable space for the interface , also make the divider between the keyboard and interface smaller.

• @djjuniorpops said:
    Is there a way to adjust the keyboard size

The only thing I've found is clicking the "Play" button at the top which shrinks it to two octaves, but increases the size of the keys.

• @Tarekith said:
    This is only the second time I've ever asked for a refund on the app store. Sounds amazing, but I only really need it on my iPhone and it's just too damn hard to use. A lot nicer on the iPad Pro 10.5, but I haven't been using that for making music lately. I'll definitely pick it up again if they make the display zoomable ala Model 15.

If it’s not for you then fair enough. However, it’s Moog and it’s a bargain at 4.99, and there’s no guarantee that the price will ever be anything like that low again.

• edited March 2018

@Beathoven said:

@Tarekith said:
    This is only the second time I've ever asked for a refund on the app store. Sounds amazing, but I only really need it on my iPhone and it's just too damn hard to use. A lot nicer on the iPad Pro 10.5, but I haven't been using that for making music lately. I'll definitely pick it up again if they make the display zoomable ala Model 15.

If it’s not for you then fair enough. However, it’s Moog and it’s a bargain at 4.99, and there’s no guarantee that the price will ever be anything like that low again.

But exact my trouble too....it‘s Moog....what does that mean?!? Like mentioned it sounds great but some no name freeware does too and this really has a GUI where i also thought about my third refund ever in the App store.
    I won‘t do since it doesn‘t crash or so but yeah....it would be at best 3 stars in the app store at this point.
    And again reminds me that a much much better synth was close to be on iOS until Moog took the market.
    Brand is not everything!

• randomizer?

• Hmm. Just bought this and think it nails that moog sound (owned a couple moogs over my many years).
    Does this app allow velocity control over at least the vca or vcf cutoff?
    Pretty sure the hardware model D supported velocity.
    No velocity control really limits its playability for me. Still a great soundmaker tho B)

• edited March 2018

Sounds a little flat/less rich in comparison to the Model 15 in the official demo and Doug's video...
    Just me? :p
    (Could be youtube sound quality ?)

• @kobamoto said:
    randomizer?

Not as far as I can see.

• @Beathoven said:

@kobamoto said:
    randomizer?

Not as far as I can see.

thanks, well the looper is a nice touch

• I like that they have gone for sound quality over CPU. There are many other synths lighter on CPU. Nice to have the option of a big gun too.

• It’s interesting reading the comments on YouTube beneath the Moog promo video; lots of people begging Moog to release it for Android or Mac or Windows. Compare that to the comments on this thread where we’re disappointed that it doesn’t have this functionality or that feature or, unbelievably, we don’t particularly like the preset browser. Me thinks we’ve become a bit spoiled :(

• @JoHe said:
    First patch I created with this amazing sounding app. Had to record it :)

Love it

• First impression after about 15 minutes...sounds very good but not Model 15 quality (though the Model 15 stereo delay was just super and had a lot to do with that). Obviously, though, the company itself gets its own sound right compared to others (at least on iOS). Love having to get used to playing a moog mono bass again. The preset selection and effects selection sections are design greatness.

All in all, great to have a simpler version of Moog on iOS to open up and tweak at the ready. And for $5 no less. A worthy addition, especially for me because I like simple synth basses and it’s a cinch to do on this while still getting some of the thump of a real analog.

• edited March 2018

@tja said:

@SpookyZoo said:

@tja said:

@Samu said:

@AlexB said:

But just so?

Not good, in my book.

I like multiple gestures if they're not too hard to remember.
    But I agree that a lot of apps hardly use the advantages of a touch area that covers the whole screen (!)

Yes, why not!
    Short menu tap: Secondary knob functions with a clear overlay display
    Long menu tap: An overlay panel with controls that are usable on an iPhone 5x too.

There is "Play mode", but Moog will have to do something else about the usability on small phones imho.

• edited March 2018

@oat_phipps said:
    First impression after about 15 minutes...sounds very good but not Model 15 quality (though the Model 15 stereo delay was just super and had a lot to do with that). Obviously, though, the company itself gets its own sound right compared to others (at least on iOS). Love having to get used to playing a moog mono bass again. The preset selection and effects selection sections are design greatness.

All in all, great to have a simpler version of Moog on iOS to open up and tweak at the ready. And for $5 no less. A worthy addition, especially for me because I like simple synth basses and it’s a cinch to do on this while still getting some of the thump of a real analog.

+1

Slightly OT: Can anyone manage to program a decent recreation of the 'Autobahn' pad/lead sound with this?
    I guess those chords were probably a modular moog originally (?) but since this has polyphony I wonder if it's possible to get a close approximation... I tried but without too much success so far.

• @Beathoven said:
    It’s interesting reading the comments on YouTube beneath the Moog promo video; lots of people begging Moog to release it for Android or Mac or Windows. Compare that to the comments on this thread where we’re disappointed that it doesn’t have this functionality or that feature or, unbelievably, we don’t particularly like the preset browser. Me thinks we’ve become a bit spoiled :(

imo iOS just has a more well rounded user base than people would think at first so you'll find a lot of people with experience that stretches far back and have come to iOS looking for a more refined or simplistic workflow, at least that's how it started, now a days many are also looking to recreate the desktop minefield experience as well. For example the first thing I'm looking for in any iOS synth is how close to ikaossilator it is, does it have randomizers, could I used it while I'm in the shower etc... cause I have a room full of synths but didn't get into iOS to replicate that experience, actually I want just the opposite experience. The sound quality is always an issue of course but the last thing I'm after with iOS is purity, I mean it's an iPad, or an iPhone, when I want purity I'd use something else. I think the iPad gives us a unique opportunity to experience workflows in a completely 'other way' so things like browsers, file management, randomizers, and more randomizers become real interest.... I wish every synth app had a huge x/y pad and funky midi mangling midi fx.... I'm close to getting syntronik cause it apparently has some of this kind of vibe going on with it's layering and fx..

• Just wondering if someone who beta tested this can explain why this app and all other Moog apps don’t have a global tuning option? Is there some reason within the software
    to omit it? PPG apps have the global tuning option and they’re quite sophisticated programs to say the least
    I’m still ecstatic about this Model D no doubt! :)

• anyone know when the sale will end, and if the iaps are also on sale?

• Slightly OT: Can anyone manage to program a decent recreation of the 'Autobahn' pad/lead sound with this?
    I guess those chords were probably a modular moog originally (?) but since this has polyphony I wonder if it's possible to get a close approximation... I tried but without too much success so far.

I think that they used the Minimoog for this.
    Mono mode.
    You can tune the oscillators in a chord.
    Oscillator 1 8’ (Root note)
    Oscillator 2. 8’. (Up a major third)
    Oscillator 3. 16’. (Up a major fifth)
    I think all three oscillators are set to the middle pulse width setting and a bit of filter sweep with a lower resonance setting.
    This kinda sounds like how I hear this in my head.
    Hope it helps!

• @Arpseechord said:
    Just wondering if someone who beta tested this can explain why this app and all other Moog apps don’t have a global tuning option?

I’m guessing they feel the Tune knob on the Controllers panel is sufficient.

If you don’t want to save a tuning per preset, you could CC map the Tune knob and send a fixed value to it each time after you change presets. A bit of a hack, certainly, but would sort of accomplish global tuning.