Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Midi guitar and ifretless bass?

I don't have a bass guitar..I am looking for options. So far I think the ifretless had the best bass sound. Is there a way for me to use midi guitar app with ifretless bass to allow me to play my guitar and have the sound focusing from ifretless bass?

Comments

• Yes, Midimorphosis will do that, as will Thumbjam and MIDI Guitar.

• Jam Synth and G2M will also do guitar to midi but MIDImorphosis is the best of the lot.

• MIDImorphosis!! +1

By the way - I was trying to get ThumbJam to do this yesterday but couldn't make it work. I'm using a Line6 Sonic Port. Will it detect pitch from these interfaces or must I use the microphone in. Granted, I didn't spend too much time at it before falling back to MIDImorphosis so may not have hit the correct buttons/options...

• MIDI Guitar works better than MIDImorphosis in my experience. But maybe it has been improved since I used it.

• thanks.. i just got midi guitar.. do you think its necessary to get the paid version? i have the free version. And how do you use midi guitar with ifretless bass exactly? and are there any better sounding bass apps?

• Since virtual midi is part of IAP the app appears to be pointless without it.

• Which has better latency? Midimorphisis or midi guitar?

• Hi -- MIDI Guitar is free, and it'll let you test MIDI for a few minutes before stopping and making you press a nag alert. You should definitely try that out. It's a "competitor product" -- but I don't want you to make an uninformed decision. If you like it, you can upgrade with IAP.

All MIDI guitar converters have some latency -- there's latency of the audio pipeline itself for sound coming in, you need a fraction of a second of tone to determine the pitch, and there's some latency for the synthesizer tone going out. In practice, I think that MIDImorphosis and MIDI Guitar are very comparable in terms of latency; guitar tone, playing style, and so on, all impact tracking rate. If you're playing very fast, the synthesizer notes will be a fraction of a second behind the beat, and that will throw off your timing.

Hardware MIDI is faster -- I really like the Fishman TriplePlay. It's $400, so it's a serious investment -- but it tracks a little bit faster than the software iPad converters, and the multiple-zone MIDI conversion is really neat (I'll be putting something like that in the next update of MIDImorphosis).

My app also does off-line processing; you can record audio (playing as fast as you want), and then the app will go through the recording to extract the notes, producing a MIDI file. This avoids the latency problem, and also makes the app more useful on older hardware.

I'm trying to avoid shilling, or bashing a competitor app -- I like what I've done, and appreciate the positive comments from the other people on this thread -- but no matter what, you should try MIDI Guitar, to get an idea of what you're getting into.

Also, it's worth trying ThumbJam, which has a pretty good pitch-to-MIDI (assuming you already have that). I think the dedicated guitar converters track faster, and are polyphonic, but TJ is certainly worth investigating.

• The great thing about these apps is that it is quite affordable to even get all of them and thereby support the further developments in this rather small niche. I got them all in this order G2M (monophonic but with pitch bend), Midi Guitar (polyphonic, no pitch bend), Yonac Shredder for iPhone (you want to stay away from that one), Midimorphosis (my favorite), Jamsynth (monophonic with synth) and also Thumbjam which is less of a guitar app actually, but a must anyways. If somebody would only be willing to get one of them I would probably tell him to get midimorphosis. It has the most potential, is not expensive, developer is a very nice guy, and it gets updated regularly. Midi Guitar tracks very well, though, and I think it might still be a hair faster. But the app can get very unresponsive and the UI sucks. Also it doesn't look like JamOrigin are maintaining their app much at all, which is a shame. So I wouldn't be surprised if it got abandoned.
    @secretbasedesigns: Great to hear there will be split zones coming to mm. Looking forward to that! Thanks a lot for your great work!

• ok bought midi guitar 20$ yikes.. anyway i can't get it to work w/ifretlass bass?
    also using it w/garageband. i hear some noice?

• Do you understand MIDI and how to set it up? You need to set your MIDI out in MIDI Guitar to Virtual MIDI Channel 1, set MIDI in in iFretless to MIDI channel 1 and enable Background Audio. You also need to set the octave by enabling MIDI out, set octave to 0 and then disabling MIDI out.

• edited December 2013

Hi Vejichan, did you ever get it to work? Any feedback? Just curious, thanks