Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Recommendation for layering/resampling on IOS?

schsch
edited March 2018 in General App Discussion

Hey La Gang, I'm looking for some guidance on what you think is best to use to layer drum sounds to add more power and character to produce composite instrument samples. For example, adding higher, sharper drums on top of taikos to really beef the sound up. Needs to be able to work with stereo samples.

I've got tons of apps already, so I may have what is needed, but I'd be grateful for your thoughts. Cheers!

Comments

• It sounds like you want something that is good with micro editing and easy to use with touchscreen controls. I have yet to find something that fits the bill but perhaps someone has a good tip for you...

I have been using iKaossilator purely as a 5 part drum machine in order to layer several kits for quite complex drum parts which are very easy to generate. I will then export the project to Ableton via Dropbox in one click and get deeper into edits with the mouse to get some variety happening.

• I can do it by bringing the sample hits into Auria Pro, lining them up and then mixing them to an output WAV file to then use as a composite, but damn, I thought for sure there would be some app that could do it a bit for elegantly. Hopefully some other forum member may have a suggestion.

• edited March 2018

Isn’t BM3 pad layers perfect for this?

• Awww, I just knew someone would recommend BM3... I do have it (got it when they offered it for free), but I don't mesh with it at all, and I was hoping to avoid having to learn something that convoluted.
    The only other avenue I thought of is Gadget's Vancouver layering sampler, but I hate the closed system.

• With Gadget's Vancouver you can layer only two samples, while with BM3 you can layer up to your heart's content. Nothing tops BM3 on layering samples.

• and I think the sample layering part of BM3 is one of the more straightforward areas. I would still check the manual before starting though...

• Just watched a few BM3 tutorials on YT and I have to say that it really does make the process quite easy. Still open to other suggestions, but BM3 might be the most direct way so far.

• @sch said:
    Just watched a few BM3 tutorials on YT and I have to say that it really does make the process quite easy. Still open to other suggestions, but BM3 might be the most direct way so far.

It is a fantastic Swiss Army knife to have in your pocket.

• For a simpler approach, I don’t layer my samples in a sampler, but just trigger multiple drums or sounds with the same Midi pattern, and do the layering/adjusting in the DAW.

• schsch
    edited March 2018

That's essentially what I had originally thought to do in Auria Pro, but I'd like to have the composite samples available to keep the number of tracks and processing requirements down. By creating layered and (to a certain amount) preprocessed samples, I can have pre-made drum kits that should be easier to manage etc.

I've been watching some of JunkieXL's videos of his soundtracks and the amount of percussive instruments he stacks up is staggering... as is the power of the sound they produce!

• @sch said:
    That's essentially what I had originally thought to do in Auria Pro, but I'd like to have the composite samples available to keep the number of tracks and processing requirements down. By creating layered and (to a certain amount) preprocessed samples, I can have pre-made drum kits that should be easier to manage etc.

Yes, definitely. If you know what you are going to use for layering, taking the time to set it all up in a sampler would be beneficial, especially if you plan to use this setup more than once.

I like the quick approach if I just want to add a little something to a track, but can’t seem to get it with the existing samples. I just add another track with different samples and drive it with the same midi. But try to go beyond more than a couple of layers, and it starts to get a little stupid. :)

• @CracklePot said:
    I like the quick approach if I just want to add a little something to a track, but can’t seem to get it with the existing samples. I just add another track with different samples and drive it with the same midi. But try to go beyond more than a couple of layers, and it starts to get a little stupid. :)

Totally agree, and generally that's what I do too to beef up a track. In this case, however, my goal is to create a kit of cinematic percussion that is considerably beefier than the what I have in Sampletank, Beathawk etc, by combining several drum hits to a single pad to get those huge sounding impacts.

Really appreciate the answers though, and if others have suggestions for this goal, please throw them my way! :)

• Come to think of it I use Patterning for similar things at times. You can just make a song that is a sequence of spaced apart layered hits (via the multiple tracks), export and chop em up into kits.

• CF3CF3
    edited March 2018

@gusgranite said:
    and I think the sample layering part of BM3 is one of the more straightforward areas. I would still check the manual before starting though...

Definitely BM3. The file management and drag n drop make it super easy to layer samples. There’s even a “Set Value on All Layers” function. The ability to choose the amount polyphony is very useful. It’s my go-to drum sampler now (and pretty much all around sampler). Also is great for making layered pad sounds and instruments. It has really good multitimbral midi support (better than the new Akai MPC Live and X).
    Super easy to use. Really can’t say enough good things about it. My only wish is that I had a much more powerful ipad......

• Anyone know of an easier way to get samples out of BeatHawk than one at a time into BM3?

• @sch said:
    Anyone know of an easier way to get samples out of BeatHawk than one at a time into BM3?

Maybe try this trick and chop the long, multi hit sample file in BM3.

@AudioGus said:
    Come to think of it I use Patterning for similar things at times. You can just make a song that is a sequence of spaced apart layered hits (via the multiple tracks), export and chop em up into kits.

So set up something similar in BeatHawk, with multiple, spaced out one shots, and render to a single audio file. Bring that into BM3 and use the Slicer to create the invidual samples.

• edited March 2018

@sch said:
    Anyone know of an easier way to get samples out of BeatHawk than one at a time into BM3?

As long as UVI keeps on using proprietary-format/encrypted samples there's no easy way to transfer them...

• @Samu said:

@sch said:

As long as UVI keeps on using proprietary-format/encrypted samples there's no easy way to transfer them...

Would it be easier to just run BeatHawk AU inside of BM3?

• @CracklePot said:
    Would it be easier to just run BeatHawk AU inside of BM3?

This is what I've been doing, but it is tedious to say the least.

@CracklePot said:
    So set up something similar in BeatHawk, with multiple, spaced out one shots, and render to a single audio file. Bring that into BM3 and use the Slicer to create the individual samples.

This makes much more sense actually... I'll give it a try. BM3 sure makes it easy to chop!

• BTW, does BM3 not offer an easy interface with AudioShare??? I don't see it as an option anywhere.

• edited March 2018

@sch said:
    BTW, does BM3 not offer an easy interface with AudioShare??? I don't see it as an option anywhere.

Use the iCloudDrive/Files.app(Depending on which version of iOS you use) to browse the content from AudioShare.
    You can also do 'Open In' from AudioShare and send the stuff to BM3.(Zip files work too).

Or just use Files.app to copy folders over to BM3 if needed.

• The Files app integration makes it so great. I can’t wait for Cubasis to integrate the Files app.

• @CracklePot said:
    The Files app integration makes it so great. I can’t wait for Cubasis to integrate the Files app.

I guess we'll see an update to Cubasis soon. It usually goes on sale when an update is near :)

• @AudioGus said:
    Come to think of it I use Patterning for similar things at times. You can just make a song that is a sequence of spaced apart layered hits (via the multiple tracks), export and chop em up into kits.

This is how I'd do it. Any old drum app with sample import and pattern export should do it. DM1, Funkbox, Patterning... If Auria is your end goal, can probably just import the rendered file with several spaced layers into an audio track and chop it up right there.

• If there's one straightforward part of BM3 it's the sampler.

• @syrupcore said:
    This is how I'd do it. Any old drum app with sample import and pattern export should do it. DM1, Funkbox, Patterning... If Auria is your end goal, can probably just import the rendered file with several spaced layers into an audio track and chop it up right there.

I hear ya, but my main issue is getting the damn samples out of Beathawk and into something else to do the layering and then eventually play them into Auria.

• @sch said:

@syrupcore said:

I hear ya, but my main issue is getting the damn samples out of Beathawk and into something else to do the layering and then eventually play them into Auria.

Sounds like more trouble than it's worth (for me). I just do this in real time as suggested above by triggering two or more samples at once. The mix or decay or... always seems to be different per track anyway.

• edited March 2018

I like to layer things up often.
    But it can be just make it muddy to put one of the top of each other.
    I like f.e. to slightly delay and/or put it in another stereo field or using sound with different micro settings. It gives a more natural but still detailed sound for me and frequencies in the same range can breath.
    So i would recommend more to just trigger 2 or more different samples at the same time too rather than put them just together in one sample.
    Resampling (BeatMaker f.e. or NanoStudio if you are pre iOS 11) can help too.
    Transient shapers, EQ and other FX can do wonder as well too.

• @Cib said:
    Resampling (BeatMaker f.e. or NanoStudio if you are pre iOS 11) can help too.

Oh, I wish... I cut my teeth on NanoStudio and miss it terribly (I'm a 'keep the current OS' guy). Still waiting patiently for Mat to finish NS2, which doesn't seem to be forthcoming for at least 2 or 3 months at best.

• edited March 2018

any sample slicing beat machine with a fast sample slicer and kit editor /transient detection would be a Huge plus + cracklepots first suggestion + resampling should do you right.... the beat machine would basically be your sample slicer editor layering kitmaker and you could export those kits for use elsewhere , while keeping the kits you made in said beatmachine as a library of kits.
    all you need is something quick and streamlined and you'd hardly notice the whole process not being in one app.
    the advantage to doing it this way is that if you make your kits uniform in how you place your samples you can mix ,match, and recombine your kits in myriads of ways later on when your library is chock full of them.