Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Maybe it's Time to Start Concerted Effort to Get The Samplr App into the Hands of another Developer

I just saw a post on the iPad fb group that said that in a tweet Marcos Alonso said there would be no more development.

If this is the case, then what petition do we need to sign, what starter do we need to kick, which Rick or Morty do we need to slap to get this app into the hands of Jonatan Liljedahl, Igor Vasilev, or other other equally skilled developer?

:s

Comments

• He may not want to let anyone else interfere with the app, think we’d be better off encouraging someone to develop a new app inspired by Samplr.

• Yes, thank-you. I brought this up a while ago to the sound of crickets. I would love to see someone pick up the torch and move it forward, so much potential for a next gen/version 2 app.

• Perhaps a Kickstarter or GoFundMe campaign is in order. A communal investment to provide a willing developer some latitude. That sounds ridiculous but perhaps it doesn’t. It’s a damn special app so.....desperate measures.

• AUv3 with Link. Maybe move the sample selector boxes up above the main sample preview, and perhaps include a bit-crusher. That's all I want.

• @brice said:
    Perhaps a Kickstarter or GoFundMe campaign is in order. A communal investment to provide a willing developer some latitude. That sounds ridiculous but perhaps it doesn’t. It’s a damn special app so.....desperate measures.

Interesting, i’d Buy into that with a good developer. I wonder if Marcos is willing to sell?

• @RJB said:

@brice said:
    Perhaps a Kickstarter or GoFundMe campaign is in order. A communal investment to provide a willing developer some latitude. That sounds ridiculous but perhaps it doesn’t. It’s a damn special app so.....desperate measures.

I wonder if Marcos is willing to sell?

I suppose that would be the first hurdle. It has to be worth enquiring....?

• Was is Erik Sigth up to these days, I wonder.

• @kobamoto said:
    I just saw a post on the iPad fb group that said that in a tweet Marcos Alonso said there would be no more development.

This isn’t true. He said no new feature development, but he will continue development as needed to keep the app compatible.

I’ve heard this is Apple policy.

There are a few features that would be cool (MIDI), but I agree that a more likely scenario is a new app inspired by Samplr.

• It’s amazing but outdated app. One of these asking for old iPad to live forever...

To be uptodate it will need some new features but it’s seems not going to happen.

My question @kobamoto (and everyone) is... what killer feature/s has as is?
    I can substitute it in my workflow mostly with other newer apps and never used it on regular basis due lack of midi in (for pad controller)... but I’m intrigued.

• edited March 2018

the closest apps are sample whiz and blocs wave in my opinion, and neither of them are like Samplr

• @johnfromberkeley said:

@kobamoto said:

This isn’t true. He said no new feature development, but he will continue development as needed to keep the app compatible.

I’ve heard this is Apple policy.

There are a few features that would be cool (MIDI), but I agree that a more likely scenario is a new app inspired by Samplr.

this is what I meant.... I don't think anybody thought I was talking about keeping sampler updated only to work on any particular os. Everyone has been waiting for the promised feature update. If he wants to keep it as it is fine, but let somebody else make a version two ............. why freaking not, he knows we've been waiting for ever that's the least he could do.

• taking on a little help because he's obviously very busy only makes sense.... let someone else update it and let that dev get paid for their work... it's a win , win, win.....

• edited March 2018

He may not have the legal ability to pass on code.
    He may not have the want/ability to pass on his proprietary code.
    He may not actually care that users of a $10 app that got and used what they paid for/was advertised and are waiting for some "Promised" update that probably wasn't even "Promised" in the first place.
    He may want to make an actual wage with the time he spends coding.

• I never really got or understood the 'greatness' of Samplr to be honest.

For me personally there's just too many annoying things to mention having mostly to do with the actual recording of events and samples. The engine is capable and the effects are nice but parts of the performance aspect need some work. Then again I'm not the typical user of 'loopers' :)

• @kobamoto said:
    the closest apps are sample whiz and blocs wave in my opinion, and neither of them are like Samplr

I still not see what’s the feature you miss, sorry... I used Blocs and ReSlice for chopping and pitching duties but with BM3 I feel most them redundant.

How do you use it?

• @Samplemunch said:
    He may not have the legal ability to pass on code.
    He may not have the want/ability to pass on his proprietary code.
    He may not actually care that users of a $10 app that got and used what they paid for/was advertised and are waiting for some "Promised" update that probably wasn't even "Promised" in the first place.
    He may want to make an actual wage with the time he spends coding.

And with some luck it will be like Alchemy and emerge inside Garageband in the future. Not the best deal but almost updated and usable in newer iOS versions without worring about maintenance.

• If he only fixed the midi clock after all those years, samplr would be a lot less frustrating. He promised Link support and can't even take the time to fix a midi clock not receiving anything. He just don't give a shit anymore. I'm glad someone created midi link sync and link to midi as a workaround. I'm still looking for an alternative to midibridge which could use the network session as a local host.

• If it still works and is still on of the best apps of its kind i wonder where the trouble is. (O.K. panning.....)
    Sometimes it´s easy......if it works....
    Maybe a new major version would make it even too complex and unfriendly to use.
    Of course it seems that the developer couldn´t make a living from it so it still great to see that it get updated to work with the latest OS.
    Otherwise there were other apps i would like to see before in other hands :)

• edited March 2018

I always thought it was cool but not mind-blowingly so. If it still works then what is the complaint? There can be such a thing as a finished product. If it’s as great as you think it is and means that much to you and your creativity/productivity, then you will continue to use it. I still go back and play Doom 2 occasionally, and look what’s out now.

I get really tired of the other way around, when a developer releases an application and on launch day also shares a plan for future updates and features. It encourages users to keep asking for and expecting more, and the problem with that is each of their idealized states of the app cannot possibly perfectly coincide with the developer’s original vision, mostly because the developer is the only one whose practical welfare is truly affected

• @Proto said:
    If he only fixed the midi clock after all those years, samplr would be a lot less frustrating. He promised Link support and can't even take the time to fix a midi clock not receiving anything. He just don't give a shit anymore. I'm glad someone created midi link sync and link to midi as a workaround. I'm still looking for an alternative to midibridge which could use the network session as a local host.

You can also just host it in AUM. Aum can receive clock can't it ?

• @aaronpc said:
    Was is Erik Sigth up to these days, I wonder.

>

Or Brambos.

Surely, the Brambos Samplr is not entirky beyond the bounds of possibility.

• I’ve always enjoyed mucking about with it, but usually end up using iDensity, ReSlice, Egoist or something else for sample bashing in my tracks, and AudioStretch for ‘playing’ a sample. And now there’s newer apps like Tardigrain.

Would be nice if he licensed the code to another developer to take it to the next level, but hey-ho, we’ve got plenty of choice these days if not. The beauty of an AU/AUM combo means we can build something just as good from a bunch of other apps.

• @gonekrazy3000 said:

@Proto said:
    If he only fixed the midi clock after all those years, samplr would be a lot less frustrating. He promised Link support and can't even take the time to fix a midi clock not receiving anything. He just don't give a shit anymore. I'm glad someone created midi link sync and link to midi as a workaround. I'm still looking for an alternative to midibridge which could use the network session as a local host.

AUM can only send midi clock. I also tried to send midi clock to the network session using aum's midi setup but this also didn't work.

• @Proto said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@Proto said:

AUM can only send midi clock. I also tried to send midi clock to the network session using aum's midi setup but this also didn't work.

Just clock sender, not receiver.

• edited March 2018

@Proto said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@Proto said:

it sends IAA sync. which i'm pretty sure Samplr accepts by default.

ok. it definitely doesn't work anymore. damn :(

• Brambros needs to bring TunaFish to ios, that can easily replace Samplr for most things...
    Samplr in its current state is still one of the best apps ever made.

• @Hex047 said:
    Brambros needs to bring TunaFish to ios, that can easily replace Samplr for most things...
    Samplr in its current state is still one of the best apps ever made.

+1

But between Abu Dhabi and Vancouver all the modes are covered in Gadget. My gripe with Samplr was the recording automation. Pain in the arse to get a loop 8/16 bars. It always ended up on some random number.

• IF if if I was a developer

I would have long been on the case for an Alchemy "like" app and same for this with this news.

I would not let ego deter me, for instance in the case of Alchemy.

No shame in doing something that everyone wants and loves.........

Same for this.

But honestly.

I get Smpr is a cool app.

But I really don't "need it" like I actually do ReSlice.

• So the owner of the app gives Samplr and all the tech behind it away to another developer for nothing. Or makes the code open source, if that’s possible. The new dev takes the time to learn every detail of the code so they can add new features for a free update — or a few bucks for some kind of IAP.

Something only an iOS user could demand. :)

• @lovadamusic said:
    So the owner of the app gives Samplr and all the tech behind it away to another developer for nothing. Or makes the code open source, if that’s possible. The new dev takes the time to learn every detail of the code so they can add new features for a free update — or a few bucks for some kind of IAP.

Something only an iOS user could demand. :)

:D