Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Takete is going to be the next big thing

I’ve had the extreme pleasure of beta testing this bad boy out.

If you are on the fence about it, you are missing out. It is worth every penny.

It will be universal and is downright phenomenal.

It allows audio and video import!!

Sounds & looks amazing

Thoughtfully designed and not too complicated or overwhelming to use

Fresh new take on sound design and creating synced visuals

Takete is an advanced audio/visual performance tool for iPad. (Soon iPhone)

Based on the phenomenon of synesthesia, Takete offers fine control between audio and visual elements to create immersive and tightly integrated AV works.
The flexible architecture allows audio and visual elements to be combined in unlimited ways and routed dynamically to suit the performer.

FEATURES so far with more to come!

• Flexible architecture
  • Audio Instruments (File Player, Long Player, Touch Loop, Granular Synth, Sample Drum, Recorder, External Input)
  • Import your own audio and video files from iTunes, other apps and the camera roll
  • iCloud import and export
  • Controllers (External MIDI, Matrix and Touch)
  • MIDI Learn functionality
  • Audio FX (Overdrive, Lofi, Delay, Plate Verb, Filter, Compressor, Stereo)
  • Video FX (Contrast, Repeat, Pixellate, Tunnel, Mirror, Reverb, Posterize, Scale, Dot, Edge)
  • Switchable video blend modes (Add, Subtract, Dodge, Saturation, Multiply, Divide)
  • High quality video output to external display/projector using VGA, HDMI and Airplay
  • Professional audio quality
  • Record video and audio output separately or combined
  • Extensive automation available
  • Ableton Link for wireless synchronisation across multiple devices
  • Audiobus integration as input and output device

Comments

• what's the best video you know of it?

• Honestly the videos I’ve seen thus far don’t do it justice. In my opinion it sounds way better when you load samples of your own material and videos you’ve shot. That’s what makes it so awesome.

The granular synth sounds great too I should add.

If I see some videos come out that are interesting though I’ll be sure to link them for you

• Takete is Awsome, havent used it in a while but its really good... one thing that would be amazing would be AU unit support and midi clips

• The developer is extremely responsive, have you emailed Jonathan and requested those features?

• no actually i havent, thought about it just right now ...

• edited March 2018

Hasn’t this been out for years on iPad? I assume you’re talking about a version 2/major major update, because the only things I remember hearing about it are the words ‘buggy’ and ‘potential’.

I don’t mind the price tag, but if you ARE gonna charge $60 (which suggests it brings more value than full-on DAWs like Cubasis and Auria), then it damn well better be near-bugless and a finished product upon release.

• yeah it's been out of a long time but the fact that he's beta and excited has me intrigued for what's next

• Be interested to see vids of the update. I tried the free version but it didn’t convince me to pay £60 for the full one.

• edited March 2018

Probably just me, and Takete is a work of unparalleled genius, but having a few flashes and flickers behind a blocky keyboard does not do much for me.

• @Zen210507 said:
    Probably just me, and Takete is a work of unparalleled genius, but having a few flashes and flickers behind a blocky keyboard does do much for me.

No, I just tried the lite, and it doesn’t have the sound quality, functionality, or graphical interface polish (knobs and dials aren’t smooth, it’s plain ugly) to even consider spending $10 on it, even if the visual thing really turns you on.

So hopefully for the developer’s sake this new update is as amazing as the OP hinted.

• edited March 2018

I thought the older version was meh. Actually I deleted it along time ago and didn’t think twice at the time.

When I heard the developer was working on a completely revised version my interest was piqued.

I liked the concept, but how would the new version stack up?

I volunteered to beta test, and was completely blown away.

my analogy:

Original Mario bros = meh
    Super Mario bros = classic

Original Street Fighter = meh
    Street Fighter 2 = the best fighting game of all time

I am in no way affiliated with this product and I KNOW the price is high, relatively speaking for an IOS app.

With that being said.

I am using it soley with an iPhone 5s, a cck and a projector.

For me personally the results and workflow are ridiculously awesome.

I have made many purchases in the App Store that I regretted and opted to get a refund because they were either buggy or the description was misleading.

This newer version is worth checking out, especially if you are interested in visuals and using your own samples

• @stuck80s said:
    Original Mario bros = meh
    Super Mario bros = classic

Both are blocky plumbers, going from A to B.

Now, if you’d said Super Mario Bros = Original Takete. and the forthcoming Takete was more like Quake, there may have been a lot more interest. ;)

• I have been playing with it but I'm not sure what the point of it is. Seems to mainly be press some buttons get some preloaded loops playing add a little effect and some flashing video overlaid. Seems to be little to control. And the flashing on the trance chord makes me feel sick. Probably missing something major..

• edited March 2018

I bought Takete some time ago because i really like/d the live acts the dev is doing with the app as Mannheim Rocket.
    He has some tutorials on his youtube, too. Really looking forward for an updated Takete.

• edited March 2018

@Jocphone said:
    I have been playing with it but I'm not sure what the point of it is. Seems to mainly be press some buttons get some preloaded loops playing add a little effect and some flashing video overlaid. Seems to be little to control. And the flashing on the trance chord makes me feel sick. Probably missing something major..

The point is it’s launchpad with graphics capabilities and an inbuilt granular Synth.

There’s loads of controls to tweak ( including turning off the flashing) and midi learn to make that easy.

Looking forward to seeing the revised version

• edited March 2018

@Jocphone said:
    I have been playing with it but I'm not sure what the point of it is. Seems to mainly be press some buttons get some preloaded loops playing add a little effect and some flashing video overlaid. Seems to be little to control. And the flashing on the trance chord makes me feel sick. Probably missing something major..

What you're missing is loading your own video, audio clips and using Takete as a live A/V composition tool where you can mix down 8 channels of video and 8 channels of audio with effects to a A/V recording Ableton Link synced to other apps. Think of it as having 8 Wizibel apps in a mixer application with extra effects and the ability to load your own graphics and audio. I'm not so crazy about the granular sampler though the drum machine and sequencer are good and the of number steps appears to be unlimited. I'm pretty sure Takete will appeal more to the BM3 crowd than the Cubasers. It's a different way of thinking and much deeper than some are willing to wrap their head around.

• As AV tool for iOS is astonishing feature-wise.
    As UI is madness.
    As wish I will love part of it as Atv app (fx side) and iPad app (videosampler side).
    As is it will not be the next thing for me, sorry.

Dubby.
    ExCubase user, ExAbleton user, ExLaunchpad user, BM3 apprentice user.

• I like Takete, it is pretty níche. It is a little complicated but gets some really good results that other excellent VJ apps like vidibox and k-machine cant do. It has good (almost everything is learnable) midi and bluetooth midi and if I has doing a live show I would definitely use it.
    What it couldnt do for me, which made me use it less, was sync video and audio loops together. The video and audio use different measurements. For this I use the most excellent LumaFusion (vidibox did it well too but its dead now) but I wouldnt even think of using LumaFusion live. Takete is very live!
    Also you can automate with midi (leaving hands free) you can get, for example, a midi notes to start sequences, or effects, a flash or even sounds if thats your thing. Or any combination. I built up an AV project in modstep on one iPad and sent the video sequencing via BTLE to takete on another ipad plugged into a projector. It was fun!
    And like @philowerx says its got Ableton Link plus Audiobus. Its difficult to see the depth in the demo timelimit and it is def much more stable recently due to the dev responding to bug reports.

• Love it

Next big thing?

Um

Well I bought it for $79.99 like 4 years ago.........LOL

But I hear you I think a new generation of users are ready.

It is basically musically this for me.

Novation Circuit with Granular Synth and amazing FX and video options.

It is like Egoist.

IF you are into using your own stuff and reinventing sounds and ways you use them it is the best.

If you want perfect festival or stadium sounding house or pop, not really the thing for it.

It is for a certain person.

My main Audio visual jam session is usually KMachine on 1 iPad , Takete on another, then GeoShred on 1 iPad and Animoog on other

4 apps and total audio visual ride

• edited March 2018

is the app getting closer to link synth/mix parameters directly to video attributes ?
    This was barely (if at all) present in the 1st release.
    (stupid examples to get the idea: alter envelope modifies videos angle, filter sweeps change pixel resolution)
    Some desktop editors do it via midi assignments, which is clumpsy and a potential source for trouble anyway.

• I'm still missing something. There seems to be a lot of hype. Astonishing and Next Big Thing are pretty impressive accolades but all I see is a simple loop player with some effects and triggering of some video behind the interface. There is a keyboard for triggering a sample player too. That may be a great idea for some people and I haven't been able to fathom why. Maybe it is just not for me. I thought it was something I could create music with but I can't even figure out how to get my own sounds into it.

• As far as I know it's not a complete re-write, just a port to iPhone. I see it's strength more as a way to create live visuals and music videos than as music composition tool.

• edited March 2018

I’ve had tons o’ fun creating stuff in it- it’s an AV playground/workshop. And a pretty deep one at that. Can’t really compare it to anything else on iOS price wise or otherwise.

• Lol , all the features OP posted are available in the current version which is excellent by the way .

• Getting sounds in is easy
    You can ‘open in’ Takete from AudioShare etc
    You can import direct from iCloud file picker
    Or you can use AudioCopy paste

You can even use iTunes

• edited March 2018

@hacked_to_pieces said:
    Lol , all the features OP posted are available in the current version which is excellent by the way .

hmm well then the plot thickens, and who doesn't like a thickened plot...

• edited January 2020

Thread revival ...

What it missing the most to be usable is Warping Mode, it's a pain to sync your audio files. Hope he's adding this feature in this new version that we will see pretty soon ... https://discchord.com/appnews/2020/01/08/preview-takete-v20-for-ios.

I remember how arrogant this dev was and how the ios community didn't like him so much.
    I would say, I bought many apps that I finally deleted but that one was my biggest mistake buying it !

• what is different about it now?

• tpjtpj
    edited January 2020

I dont think this will match my ableton/ebosuite setup. Which is a full blown videosampler running as a plugin in Ableton Live.

• @tpj said:
    I dont think this will match my ableton/ebosuite setup. Which is a full blown videosampler running as a plugin in Ableton Live.

Thanks! I was looking for something like that.
    I knew Isadora, GLmixer, Arkaos, Modul8, VDMX and Resolume but coming from Live, ebosuite looks awesome!