Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Need suggestions for new studio monitors

13»

Comments

• I went with some event 2030’s. They sound amazing

• edited August 2018

try to use good speakers those are the best that i personally know:
    1 - Yamaha HS5.
    2 - Mackie CR Series CR3.
    3 - Adam Audio A7X.
    4 - PreSonus Eris E44.
    5 - KRK Rokit 5 G3.
    6 - JBL LSR308.
    7 - PreSonus Sceptre S6.
    8 - Neumann KH 120.
    8 Ball Pool Google Hangouts Omegle

Cheers ;)

• What’s the best way to connect a couple of active monitors to a PC, if it only has a single headphone output? Just thinking of getting some myself, but the PC and laptop only have little single headphone ports.

• @MonzoPro said:
    What’s the best way to connect a couple of active monitors to a PC, if it only has a single headphone output? Just thinking of getting some myself, but the PC and laptop only have little single headphone ports.

They make adapter cables, but I would strongly recommend using your audio interface outs.

• @supanorton said:

@MonzoPro said:
    What’s the best way to connect a couple of active monitors to a PC, if it only has a single headphone output? Just thinking of getting some myself, but the PC and laptop only have little single headphone ports.

They make adapter cables, but I would strongly recommend using your audio interface outs.

Hmmm, thanks, it’d have to be an adapter as neither device has dedicated audio outs.

• @MonzoPro said:

@supanorton said:

@MonzoPro said:

Hmmm, thanks, it’d have to be an adapter as neither device has dedicated audio outs.

I have an adapter that I use to plug my phone into my speakers. I can say there is definitely a difference in sound coming directly from the headphone jack as opposed to using an audio interface.

That said, a $15 cable is a lot less expensive than a good interface.

• One of those little behringrr boxes would be ideal. I forget what the product is called. It’s the one they didn’t derive from someone else’s design.

• Ah ok I’ll check them out. I might also be getting a Zoom R16, not sure how that would help...

• This thing:

• @MonzoPro said:

Also, you’re using it on a Mac Mini aren’t you, if I remember? That has an optical SPDIF out. Some active monitors have SPDIF and you can get optical / rca SPDIF converters cheap from China if necessary.

• edited August 2018

@u0421793 said:

@MonzoPro said:

Also, you’re using it on a Mac Mini aren’t you, if I remember? That has an optical SPDIF out. Some active monitors have SPDIF and you can get optical / rca SPDIF converters cheap from China if necessary.

Thanks for the vid, I’ll check that when I get back.

I’m on an 8 year old Windows 7 PC with onboard sound, and a mid 2012 non-retina MacBook Pro. Both just have headphone out sockets, though I need to check around the back of the PC.

The R16 and Maschine both have soundcards and stereo outputs, so they’ll be covered.

Basically I’m buying a job lot of second hand kit, so trying to figure the best way of putting it all together!

• Got the jbl lsr recently but when i do it again its back to krk for me.

• @MonzoPro said:

@u0421793 said:

@MonzoPro said:

I’m on an 8 year old Windows 7 PC with onboard sound, and a mid 2012 non-retina MacBook Pro. Both just have headphone out sockets, though I need to check around the back of the PC.

The R16 and Maschine both have soundcards and stereo outputs, so they’ll be covered.

Basically I’m buying a job lot of second hand kit, so trying to figure the best way of putting it all together!

I’m mostly confident your MacBook Pro has optical out through the headphone socket – it’s also spdif optical if you plug in an optical 3.5mm jack (unless yours is past the day they stopped having the combined optical/analogue 3.5mm jacks that no one realised were also optical).

• edited August 2018

@flayerfilliper58 said:
    try to use good speakers those are the best that i personally know:
    2 - Mackie CR Series CR3.
    Cheers ;)

I have some CR5s. I have a little more budget than that at the time, but went to Guitar Center and tested, basically all of them. There were some that I thought were better, but not the 2x or 3x the price better.

The Presonus below, I got because they don't sound great. Sure, way better than your average listener's system, but I use them to compare to the Mackies.

Some absorption behind is helpful. These are simply 4 inch cotton insulation. Cloth to cover them. DIY. Breaks up waves. There are 4 others of those in the back of the room and bass traps. Bass traps were the only ones I didn't make.

And I built some quadratic diffusers for the left and right of sitting positions. Those helped the balance dramatically.
    Like these

Here is the math I used https://tapeop.com/tutorials/83/diy-diffusors/

• @MonzoPro said:

Simple Y-cable. I have my Mac connnected to a pair of powered monitors that way and have done so with other devices. It’s fine.

• @u0421793 said:

@MonzoPro said:

@u0421793 said:

@MonzoPro said:

I’m mostly confident your MacBook Pro has optical out through the headphone socket – it’s also spdif optical if you plug in an optical 3.5mm jack (unless yours is past the day they stopped having the combined optical/analogue 3.5mm jacks that no one realised were also optical).

I’ve got the old version I think with separate headphone and mic ports...

• @anickt said:

@MonzoPro said:

Simple Y-cable. I have my Mac connnected to a pair of powered monitors that way and have done so with other devices. It’s fine.

Ah ok, good to know thanks.

• @MonzoPro said:

@u0421793 said:

@MonzoPro said:

@u0421793 said:

@MonzoPro said:

Actually, you probably do have optical SPDIF on the headphone jack. See this:
    https://babcuvpisecek.com/htpc/do-i-have-optical-out-apple-toslink-spdif-compatibility-list/

• @u0421793 said:

@MonzoPro said:

@u0421793 said:

@MonzoPro said:

@u0421793 said:

@MonzoPro said:

https://babcuvpisecek.com/htpc/do-i-have-optical-out-apple-toslink-spdif-compatibility-list/

Thanks Ian, I think that’s the case.

What would be the best splitter connector for this? The monitors are a couple of KRK Rokit’s, if/when I get them.

• @MonzoPro said:

@u0421793 said:

@MonzoPro said:

@u0421793 said:

@MonzoPro said:

@u0421793 said:

@MonzoPro said:

What would be the best splitter connector for this? The monitors are a couple of KRK Rokit’s, if/when I get them.

Looks like the Rokits don’t have a digital input, just good ole RCAs.
    I’ve had good luck with Hosa cables. Just think about the length, looks like each box needs its own input. The Hosa splitters and pairs I have are easy to “rip” apart, in your case speakers that may be 4-6’ away from each other will eat up 2-4’ of length (or more with dressing) plus the distance to your machine. Probably look at a 10’ minimum.

• @wigglelights said:

@MonzoPro said:

@u0421793 said:

@MonzoPro said:

@u0421793 said:

@MonzoPro said:

@u0421793 said:

@MonzoPro said:

Looks like the Rokits don’t have a digital input, just good ole RCAs.
    I’ve had good luck with Hosa cables. Just think about the length, looks like each box needs its own input. The Hosa splitters and pairs I have are easy to “rip” apart, in your case speakers that may be 4-6’ away from each other will eat up 2-4’ of length (or more with dressing) plus the distance to your machine. Probably look at a 10’ minimum.

Thanks, I’ll check those out!

• Managed to get hold of some Rokit RP5’s, and get them hooked up to a stereo splitter cable. Have had a quick test with the iPad - in particular Synthscaper, and they sound amazing. I’ve never heard it sound so good. Will give more feedback when I’ve tested them properly, but very impressed so far.

• There are a lot of various studio monitors in the market and its really confusing to choose one. Good thing we have these forums to converse and https://homestudiomaven.com/studio-monitors/best-studio-monitors They listed some of the best studio monitors in the market today. Which one is better? I still prefer my LSR305 though.

• @teatvred said:
    Managed to get hold of some Rokit RP5’s, and get them hooked up to a stereo splitter cable. teatvred Have had a quick test with the iPad - in particular Synthscaper, and they sound amazing. I’ve never heard it sound so good. Will give more feedback when I’ve tested them properly, but very impressed so far.

thanx for this

That link looks spammy